Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kdc67 posted:

You actually out and about on the street with that thing yet? Ever get new tires and R/R? BTW battlax BT-45 will run you under 200 for the set...

Nerobro: SAVE MY STAND! It's universal and too awesomely blue to let go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Uncle Ivan posted:

Here's my 1980 Suzuki GS1000G:

Bore kit, Mikuni RS smoothbore carbs, the whole shebang. Probably makes 115+ hp. Love the bike, although I look like a gorilla riding a tricycle on it. Currently trying to sell it and get something like a huge BMW or KTM...

Try putting it up on the gs resources

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Took the B1250 out camping last weekend to McIntosh Woods State Park in Clear Lake Iowa for a PGI meet (go see one next year in Appleton Wi. if you're into fireworks.)

For those looking at the cortech sport bags for your ride, have a look.

I did over 430 miles on the stock saddle in one day and a total of 871 miles for the weekend. I'm pretty sure my rear end can only take 500 miles in the stock saddle....

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

HiroshigeStations posted:

1984 Honda CB125S. Spent most of its life as a training bike in Iowa. Essentially rust free. Took my MSF last year and need to get out there for some practice; sure would like to commute to work with it next year.

The first half of my MSF was on one of those with Renthal bars on it. I loved it to death because I wasn't intimidated by it. Though when I went to take my test I was handed a TW200. What a drastic change in power delivery and gearing ratio...

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Nerobro posted:

Thank you too. I'm quite proud of my 650.
*HONK*

Didn't see it. Will never claim you stalled it. Go back to your LT2.

The LT2 was a hand start anyway... no need to kick. (you still have that video?)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I still hold the belief that somewhere someone decided that the newer BMWs needed to look like some form of industrial accident. I always thought the odd look to be appealing, hell I still want a BMW K1200R.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

EvilCrayon posted:

What maintenance horror stories? All I've ever heard about VFR's is that they're virtually maintenance free, have an incredibly useful powerband, and that it sounds magical.

Then I bought one and although there are a few electrical problems, most of what I fixed was due to the age of the bike.

The early VFRs and off and on in their history have had top end oiling issues as well.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Chris Knight posted:

Bought a Bandit 650S, apparently the most boring bike...

...in the world!

I wish we got those in the US. Though I have a 1250 in the exact same color (colour?).

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Torque is awesome... Bandits are awesome don't let MootMoot fool you. (yes that's my bike)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

notZaar posted:

I've been dreaming of a owning a motorcycle for about ten years, so I went out and got a 33 year old bike (because I'm an idiot.)

1984-86 GS550L. Excellent starting bike. Enough power to get you into trouble if you let it, but light enough to not be a burden when trying to "bring it back."
https://www.thegsresources.com has been mentioned here a few times, they've got expertise in these things. I owned an 83 GS550E with the same basic motor configuration.

Congrats...

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Z3n posted:

It comes back if you stay off a big bike for long enough, which is incidentally one of the better reasons to buy an SV650 :v:

of all things I'm going to get rid of a Bandit600 because it's so bland I never ride it. The 1250 has spoiled me rotten. That being said I've been riding the wheels off a GS450e for the last week. I call it "hilariously small" and wring it's neck everywhere I go. I'm always racing but no one knows it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Blackdawgg posted:

Joining the bike club. First motorcycle ever

Got it for under $300. Turns over and catches occasionally but won't stay running. I believe my first stop is the carbs. I have a lot of experience rebuilding/restoring cars but this will be the first bike I turn a wrench on. I'm like an excited 5 year old sitting on it making vroom vroom noises.

everything you need should be found here:
http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/index.php

Wiring diagrams and a step through on how to disassemble the carbs plus the service manual:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Full o-ring kit for your carb(buy the one with the intake o-rings):
http://www.cycleorings.com/450.html

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It's going to need some work but it runs and rides OK. It was 500$ even for a 1996 GS500e it was an OK price.

The spill on the tank was me pouring gas out of a lovely gas can.

Front forks are drat easy to get parts for, anyone know where I might find replacement rear shock? (I tried WP, racetech, Gazi, and a few other places. Hagon makes two models that fit but one is 430$ and the other is 840$)

Anyone have a gas tank cheap? The one on there will work for a while but it's got some rust in it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minkee posted:

Also the best part about my picture is that no one has told me how bent my bars are.
super loving bent

Woo bent bar GS500e club... The one I just bought went down on the right side at some point and tweaked the bars a bit.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minkee posted:

A month later it is finally home.

It was stolen by some young kid and mangled with a screw driver. He was dumb enough to leave the plates on it and it got called in. After several weeks of waiting for parts and dealing with the insurance company its finally home. The only damage to the bike was 2 bulbs, all three locks, and they stole my suzuki toolkit. :argh:

I'm jealous of your not rusted through gas tank... It looks like you have the uprated fork brace as well.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

KARMA! posted:

A good one is about 3 feet, cubed.

(i'm wearing stunna shades :cool:)

They came from the factory that way in 2010, right from the catalog:
http://chrisstreger.com/Buell-Blast-Cube

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/16233/184405/BUELL3.jpg
http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/16233/184405/BUELL4.jpg

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

yesterday at the Talimena Scenic Byway

later, finding out that the GPS had not been updated with the latest blocked roads

drat pretty up there. You figure out a decent enough route?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, let's try this again from the top...

A replacement for the 821 Stripe that I had stolen in December. Not a bad deal really, 7 months old with 700 miles on it (:rolleyes: Ducati owners, amirite?), £8k including fitting some extra security so hopefully I keep hold of this one for more than 4 months.

Pretty ride. Good luck keeping this one. Did you buy the Ducati alarm system?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

darth cookie posted:

Just secured a big purple 1250 bandit.

Pics to follow when I pick it up on Tuesday. :toot:

Bandits are awesome, though I am a bit biased:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

IAmKale posted:

Babby's first motorocycle :3:

Is that an artifact of the jpg or is there something on your front tire making it shiny? If it's something on the tire, take it easy in the corners until that crap gets worn off.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Label Facing Right posted:

Got baby's first biek today. I've just been sitting on it in my garage since getting home (no gear yet, it's coming tomorrow). Having a friend who's been riding for a few years teach me the basics this weekend and taking the MSF course at the end of the month. Super stoked about getting another expensive hobby.

Also, thank god I got off of the TU-250/Cafe style kick I was on last summer when I was also mulling over getting a bike.

Just for giggles, if the school your going to has the tu-250 available try to ride one. It's pretty much the rubber stamp motorcycle, completely boring and neutral in every way. It's actually a great non-intimidating learner bike.
If they have a Yamaha TW-200, go for that, those things are a laugh riot and are cheat mode for the u-turn box.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I bought something silly today. The local KTM dealer Lost its license and it's going to another dealer just down the street. Dealer 1 is pissed off that dealer 2 is getting all of their inventory and having to pay to have em moved to dealer 2. Dealer 1 is selling their stock of KTMs off at dirt cheap prices. So I bought this for 5200 out the door.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

mulligan posted:

I'm pretty much decided on a Duke as my first bike, they just look unlike anything else out there and seem to be pretty fun. Let me know your experience with them.

If you're talking about a Duke 390, I just purchased one earlier in the week. Right off, the seat is a loving plank of wood with a cover on it.
You don't go anywhere fast and the shift light comes on real early. Though in the manual they show you how to change where in the RPM range the shift light comes on. They have it set so basically every 10MPH, the shift light comes on, change to 2nd at 20, 3rd at 30, etc...
The engine does not like to be lugged, if you are in the wrong gear for your speed, you will feel it. Getting onto 75 from 635 is a is swooping overpass, there was some traffic fuckery going on and I ended up doing 30MPH in 5th gear, the bandit would torque that poo poo out and I could power away, this thing fought for a second until i dropped a few gears. More of a learning the bike thing.
The bike is stable even at speed but will react very quickly to any input. Make sure your movements are smooth.
With my fat rear end on it (240#), the bike will do an indicated 103MPH, and will happily cruise about at 60 - 70MPH.
It revs up pretty fast and gets more RPM than I was expecting.
There's not nearly as much buzzing in the bars as I was expecting.
The gas tank is tiny, not quite 3 USgallons. Running it on the highway at 70 - 75 MPH all the time does not get you good mileage. The sweet spot seems to be in the mid-40's - mid-50's.
The side stand holds the bike nearly perpendicular to the ground. Watch where/how you park if the ground slopes in any direction.

It's a funky looking little bike and not common in Dallas at least. Lots of folks ask about it. "Is it fast?", "Nope."

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Take a look at the convertibar kits:
https://convertibars.3dcartstores.com/BMW_c_22.html

I know a few folks that have used them in the past. Though on an SV1000.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Yuns posted:

4 season commuters representing:

You've got a fairing, I commute on my Duke 390, though I'm in Texas so it's cheat mode for 4 season riding.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Yuns posted:

My RC390 has a decent fuel gauge, a gear indicator, a clock, back-lit controls so you can see the markings in the dark and it's a cheap bike especially compared to my MV.

For the price it's awesome but my one real complaint is that the tank is a thimble.

I've got the Duke 390 and my only complaint is that the tank is just a bit too small. On the 2017 models the tank is slightly larger.
Though i didn't realize the tank capacity on the RC is even smaller. Holy crap how do you go anywhere on only 10 liters of fuel? The Duke has at least 12, and the 2017 get a bump to 13.5.
It looks like for the RC 390 you get less fuel if the numbers I found are correct, down to 9.5 liters.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

mulligan posted:

So, just got my first bike and I'm pretty excited.

My initial choice was a MT03 but I think my first bike has to be this Pulsar 200. Perfect for learning: cheap, not too powerful and not too heavy. ByBre brakes and around 24 HP. Been riding the whole day after getting my license. I'll be a weekend warrior since I have a car for everyday commuting but I can't stop thinking about riding it everyday.

Ps. The mirror is off in this picture but it has it installed.

Here in the US, other than what comes in through "normal" manufacturers from Europe and Japan, we don't see much else. I know the Pulsar is made by Bajaj out of India, what's the reputation for the company where you are at?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

fingerling posted:

Going to be leaving on an interstate trip tomorrow, to the same place as posted last page (outback Victoria). I've put this together with a loving shite photo, not totally setup yet. Figuring out where to place a few of the weirder things.

Iso's YamahaR1 DR is.. optimistically loaded. He has more experience than me, but I'll have the speed to run away from his scorn :v:

If you haven't ridden it that packed before take it easy in the corners. The braking distance is way compromised from all the weight and getting the thing into the corners will feel "odd" until your used to it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Other then going North along the Rockies, or up along the The Great River Road, most travel out in the midwest sux. As stated, west Oklahoma, into Arkansas is nice through the Ozarks.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 28, 2017

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

It's just a bike I'm considering. I have two now which is enough but as we all know enough is never enough. The G310R is cheaper than the CBR300 ABS, the R3, and the Ninja 300 ABS. Like i said and showed above, I have a bike for farm roads and woods (DR), but it'd be nice to have something for the paved back roads that handles well, can hit more than 60 but isn't overpowered, looks cool and doesn't break the bank.

Any of the sportbike 300's would do that from OK to relatively well. I ran a Duke 390 as an around town bike until my Bandit got wrecked. It still does everything I ask of it but just a bit slower. I've been on the Ninja 300 and the Yamaha R3 as well, and the R3 seemed to be a be better IMO, had a touch more "go", and was easier to turn in the corners. I just happened to have like the looks and handling of the Duke better.

Also look at the maintenance if you can. When I change the oil on the Duke, it has three drat filters for the oil alone. A complete oil change kit costs 50$. That's for something that takes less than 2 quarts of oil.

Here's the "kit" http://www.ktm-parts.com/90238015010KIT.html

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Beach Bum posted:

Still need to cut the windscreen, get a new mount for the brake fluid reservoir, and figure out how I'm going to keep the controls from twisting on the bar, but my SV650S handlebar conversion is coming along nicely. So far I'm just in $40 for the bar, I got everything else from the PO-supplied box-o-parts. Here's to making a poor commuter out of a perfectly good trackbike!

To keep the controls from spinning, cut up an inner tube and tape it around the bar first, then install the controls. It's simple, and if you do it right, know one knows it's there. Great for Emgo "universal" replacement controls.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have owned 2 Drz’s and currently own an SV, so I haven’t forgotten :911:

I also just don’t see the fit and finish complaints that everyone seems to have. Not once have I had rust on my bike that didn’t stem from a pre-existing scratch. I have had the occasional cheesy bolt, but I’ve had those on all of the big 4 Japanese brands.

I dunno, I have loved every Suzuki I’ve owned and never once has one given me lick of trouble. Reading the forums you’d think they were on par with the worst Chinese knockoffs.

Maybe I’m the biggest statistical outlier?

Of the 3 Suzuki's I've owned, anything on them that's broken or was in poor shape was either PO issues or my own fault. The bikes I've owned from them weren't even their flagship models. A 1983 GS550e(Stolen), A 1996 GS500e(Sold), and a 2008 Bandit 1250S(Written off in a wreck). None of the bikes I've owned from them had less than 20k miles on them. A bunch of the codgers on the GS Resources forum would agree with us.

That being said, I've always thought they've lagged behind in technology and refinement.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

I am envious of both you having that bike and getting to ride it through that particular environment.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I grew up in Morris County (Montville)! In the 80’s and 90’s there were still some good semi-rural parts around, which led to me and my similarly-knuckleheaded friends having a blast doing things you can’t do now like riding our bicycles on 287 while it was still being built in the early 90’s, or tying a chair to my buddy’s ‘85 4Runner and driving through town with someone on the chair. I didn’t have a dirt bike back then because of Jewish mother but I had a bunch of friends who did and they would rip around on the back roads. Sorry for the big text but nostalgia

Atsion is south jersey though. About the same time you describe, I lived in Sicklerville and hiked/camped in the area in and around the wharton state forest. (I was a bit younger, I left that area when I was 13).

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Vahakyla posted:

My buddy on my wife's Ninja in downtown Vicenza.
For the uninitiated, motorcycles don't park in parking spots here. Everywhere there are dedicated bike parking squares, but also it is acceptable to leave it anywhere.

Don't put your foot down and slip in the puke?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

LodeRunner posted:

Other guy already answered but I can give other answers to Zero stuff. I have a fair bit of experience with them.

Have the electronics/programming gotten a lot better? I rode a Zero years ago and one of the big issues I had was that the throttle response was horrendous. You could literally count a few seconds before the coding caught up to your wrist inputs. A charger under my desk at work, and one at home would cover most of the area I commute in and leave me plenty if I wanted to go out after work (I work a 10 hour shift.)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

echomadman posted:

Fun day today, put the 17''s back on the DRZ with some brand new Michelins and went out to teach a mate how to wheelie his new to him ktm.

Did you take them through the car wash? Getting motorcycle tires into the track to pull you along is a pain in the rear end.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

What's funny is there was a popular notion Buell sucked because Harley were holding them back in some way, but when they finally became independent to do what they supposedly wanted wrt styling, engines etc they crashed and burned building bikes just as unpopular and flawed as before.

That's also what happens when you unleash the engineer to fix issues no one's asking questions about, or were figured out a long time ago.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I didn't learn my lesson with owning the Duke 390 for the last 4 years and went out and bought myself another KTM

I bought the 1290 SuperDuke GT because, "It's pants on head stupid, the maintenance costs are about the same as the BMW S1000XR I was also looking at, and I got it for 16K out the door with zero miles on it."

I did a lot of phone calls and dealing on this purchase, even made plans to do a fly and ride all the way out to Washington state from Texas when I found this one close by. I bought it, and immediately rode it 200 miles home. It's surprisingly comfy.

Now I can do all the new fancy integration tricks:

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

dema posted:

So good Skreemer. Congrats.

The RC390 still super temperamental these days? Can they be sorted out with preventative maintenance? Getting a pickup truck next week and kinda want an inexpensive and lower power to bike to dip my toes into track days with. Always dug the way the RC390 looks.

Also, rode today:

I've got a 2016 Duke 390, so not only to I have the street version, I have the gen1 version, which suits me just fine. As a new rider there may be some issues with the low end fueling on/off the throttle if you're not used to it, but then again it feels to me like when I made the switch from carb bikes to FI, everything felt weird directly on/off throttle. The bike is really light so it's also fairly forgiving if you make the wrong inputs, and I've done a little of everything on mine from attempting to find curvy roads, camping off of it, and used it as a daily commuter for a few years.

I will say on the Gen1 versions, check the airbox on the right side of the bike and see if it's been cracked or there's been a bodge repair done to it. for some reason on the Gen1 bikes there's an issue where a plastic welded section lets go and then just gets worse and worse with the single cylinder vibes.

If you want a "cheap" track day bike I might steer you towards a used SV650, find one not too shagged out or that's been converted to track use already. While riding the 390 on a track is cool (went on COTA once with mine), it's also a lesson in frustration as you will get passed by the next group or lapped by your own group depending on the track.