Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm trying to remember the name of a DOS game from the late 80's/early 90's. It was isometric like old XCOM and you were building a skyscraper, I think, but you didn't do any building directly. Instead you issued orders to little robots who would grab raw materials, bring them over to where you wanted to build, plunk them down, etc. I remember very little else about it other than the UI had a soothing blue/gray/yellow color scheme.

The robots reminded me of the old Nintendo R.O.B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

I'm thinking of a lovely Doom clone, from right around the time Doom was first released. It was set underground, and mostly black except for glowy blue minerals in the rock walls. You got three weapons in the shareware episode: an energy pistol, an energy SMG, and a flame gun that worked just like the SMG except bigger and flamey. Aside from killing generic guards, you were supposed to find slave miners and teleport them to safety. There was no music or voice clips. The bad guys were called "Ri" and the slaves were called "Oras." What was this stupid game called, and why is it in my head all of a sudden? Is it just something my dad's friend made to put on his BBS?

Depth Dwellers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYekAShxRQ

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

not so much a game as an application but hopefully close enough

an art program from around the mid 90s that had a stylized UI with drawers and such, lots of wood. IIRC it had a sort of time lapse feature, but I don't remember whether it was accessible to the user or just used for demonstrating example art. this would have been for the mac.

Kid Pix?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

chairface posted:

C64 game, the goal was to sail a boat around africa (trade for spices maybe?) and random bad things would happen. Storms, pirate attacks, hostile natives, etc. Also some good things like friendly natives, finding loot/treasure from shipwrecks etc. I wanna say the screen where you see africa and sail around is very yellow. Overall I think gameplay was like an event would happen and you'd have a menu of choices, sorta like oregon trail but sailing a boat around africa instead.

Sea Route to India maybe, its Africa is yellow as hell

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

RCarr posted:

Years ago someone made a thread about a kind of forums Risk game. Like the map of the world was broken up into territories and each poster could claim a territory. Then every day you could do various things like attack other territories, upgrade technology, maybe even buy and sell goods, etc. Posters could make alliances and stab each other in the back, etc. Does anyone know what I’m talking about or what it was called? Does it still exist?

It was all contained in the thread, updated by the OP with images each day.

Wasn't that a game of Nomic i.e. the rules were fluid and made up as the game went along?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pentaro posted:

A PC fighting game from around the early to mid 2000s. It was a fangame, all the playable characters were from different anime franchises: I remember the chick from FLCL and that weird cat guy from Azumanga Daioh being there. The game played kinda like Smash Bros., the stages had platforms and hazards and stuff.

Mugen?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

titties posted:

If you clicked an icon to start the game it was windows. If it was a text ui it was dos

You could launch some DOS games in Windows
:goonsay:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kangra posted:

I recently found a maze map I drew in one of my old notebooks, from an adventure game. This would have been pre-1990 most likely.

The map has locations marked 'hopelessly dense', 'tediously dense', 'fearfully dense', and 'very dense' which I'm almost certain apply to a jungle. Another location is marked "You're as dense" which I think was probably a description of when you get too far off the path and it says "You're as dense as the jungle itself". There's another sketch of the map that includes 'quicksand' and an arrow pointing toward 'death'. One of the paths indicates that sometimes when you go East, you end up in one spot, sometimes in another.

A few items (or maybe places to use items) are marked in spots: 'very dense' has "(goggles)", 'hopelessly dense' has "(rations)" and another one marked 'gloomy, dense' has an unclear word which might be "(laser" .

I think it might have been Amazon (the one based on the Crichton book) since that did have goggles and lasers but I thought the navigation was different in that.

There's a tiny chance this was something I was designing (maybe based on Amazon), but the descriptions are so brief I don't think I would've planned a map in that way.

Definitely Michael Crichton’s Amazon

http://gamingafter40.blogspot.com/2010/02/adventure-of-week-michael-crichtons.html?m=1

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

poemdexter posted:

Feel like this is gonna be obscure as hell but here we go. I'm looking for a game I saw a long time ago that maybe was on a handheld console? Maybe Nintendo? I don't think it ever got a US release. The basic gist of the game was that you were a necromancer or witch or something and you were digging through the ground 2d like DigDug to build out a dungeon where you put creatures to stop the adventures trying to get you. I think the title was something along the lines of "AHHH GO AWAY" or something like that? I remember seeing videos but all the text was japanese but the concept of a reverse dungeon crawler was neat where you built a dungeon to stop different adventures. The creatures could grow and breed I think? Please help me find this again.

What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord?

I believe both it and the sequel came out on PSP in the US

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My first thought was also Decap Attack, but here's some wild rear end guesses:

Charly the Clown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjlAgRGoCVE

Rolling Ronny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_lhTQW6SJg

Nicky Boom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpRmAg0ttk

Hammerhead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5VUPKIhjYs

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Play posted:

No there's no character you control, it was more of a Myst style thing where you click to areas and flash there and then can do a certain minigame. It's supposed to feel like first person.

I mentioned a Tower of Hanoi puzzle with statues earlier, and I'm also remembering a labyrinth section with a Minotaur that can find you. Trouble is I don't know if that is all the same game or different ones, lol

I don't remember a remove-the-brain-Operation-style game, but the rest of it sounds like Microsoft's Pandora's Box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w5oSRiOQ0Y

another guess is Riddle of the Sphinx, I'm thinking it's this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67A35Pqv7Eg

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

Trying again: Ancient 3D flying thing with big blocky polygons, like starfox or LHX attack helicopter. The player flew a wedge-shaped ship around and shot at other wedge--shaped ships. There were pyramid-looking bases on the map, and if an enemy ship hovered above the pyramid for a bit it would capture it and you would lose if enough of them got captured. Not terminal velocity

Warhawk?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm looking for two DOS/Windows games, both from the 90's

The first is an early 3D RTS. I think it was an RTS, anyway. It wasn't top-down, the camera was down in the action. This was early 3D but after texture smoothing became a thing so it looked like muddy crap. It took place on an alien planet with a bright blue sky and you started out with a little floating insect-like drone and you had to put down a big ugly hive to start producing other buildings and units. The first map or tutorial environment had an obvious location to put your hive in, a very defensible circular area built into the side of a large hill with only one way in or out of it. I could have sworn this was developed by Firaxis but I can find nothing like it in their games catalogue listings online. I know this one is vague but I've only got an image or two of it in my head.

The second was earlier 3D with none of the texture smoothing so the textures were all pixelated. You had indirect control of an insect-like robot (although I'm pretty sure it only had 4 legs) and I think you had to either type commands at it or otherwise indirectly coax it do things, mostly walking around and avoiding obstacles and solving simple puzzles to progress through the levels. It had some rudimentary AI where this bug would supposedly get better and better at navigating the environment and following the player's instructions the more you played. Aesthetically it was a dark game, primarily blacks and dark blues with red and blue highlights, and it had the robot crawling through ducts and vents in sort of a cyberpunk environment. I think you could see floating cars whizzing by in the background as you played but I may be making that part up.

edit: I found the first one, it's Dominant Species by Red Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzneT1S2lY

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 28, 2022

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Both right on the money, thanks!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i'm looking for a game, quoting my own posts from the chat-thread here:

I think I remember a game like this. Was there an obscure cockpit interface that had knobs and dials to turn? And you’d hunt down glowing red beams of light on the surface of planets which culminated in finding ruins that would then teleport you to another planet?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

jiffypop45 posted:

Any idea what this game is?

RuneScape? GMod?

pretty sure that's a screenshot from Doctor Who

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
PC game, indie, not sure if it ever officially released. It was an 1v1 fps arena shooter with simplistic, colorful graphics where the main gimmick was that each player’s main mode of traversal was a grappling hook. Maps often featured big horizontal spans, like bridges, whose main function was to provide something to grapple onto, and you could get up to pretty ludicrous speeds with repeated grapples/swings. I want to say the players were spiders, or robotic spiders.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Could this be SpiderHeck?

(oh dang, glad to see that game's still getting updates)

Looks similar in concept but the game I'm thinking of is a 3D first-person shooter--sorry, fps is buried in my original post

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Definitely not, this was first-person and had relatively simple graphics, I'm pretty sure it was just one person working on it

In trying to find this game I stumbled across Verlet Swing so I might just try that, thanks anyway

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Zathril posted:

There's Arms of Telos but that wasn't 1v1 from what I can see.

Holy poo poo that’s it, thank you!

e: shame, doesn’t look like this thing has budged in 7 years :(

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

someone awful. posted:

here's another one from my dad: some kind of browser-based puzzle game where you're playing as a little guy, and you're trying to find your spaceship? he distinctly remembers some kind of lever-pulling puzzle. and he says it had a very distinct art style, and he thinks it had a french or maybe italian name. he also says he thinks it got a sequel

again, i know that isn't a heck of a lot to go off of, but you guys are wizards so maybe you can figure it out.

Samorost? I can’t remember if finding your spaceship was the objective, but it was browser-based and sounds like it otherwise fits the bill

https://youtu.be/lEt5oiEcMIM?si=54Ur3aSN9f6Zmbo5