Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I had someone try to tell me the other day that fuel injected bikes "learn" their rider's habits and adjust fueling accordingly. That's total bullshit, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sort of a dumb question but do they make a battery tender that has its own battery? I don't have a garage anymore ( :( ) and there's nowhere to plug in at my apartment lot

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I'll just get a Zero SR and run an extension cord I guess

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

FZ-07: Fender delete or no?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It's really good on my FZ. Like I don't even need to use the brakes except for stop lights and stuff. And not even really then

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

How long are brand new tires supposed to last? What about if you accidentally do burnouts by accident occasionally?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Can any FZ-07 owners offer opinions on aftermarket exhausts? Yea or nay? Half the time I really enjoy how quiet this bike is (especially living in an apartment complex), but there are other times I wish the bike didn't sound like a wet fart. I've done a little bit of research and it looks like you pretty much have to get a tune if you fit an aftermarket pipe. The bike is already plenty powerful and I'm not super hype on dropping like 1500 on performance upgrades I just wanted it a bit throatier sounding.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Dang. I'm not taking a drill to the exhaust lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

M42 posted:

h...h-honda rebel.........

thats what mine was

well i got to start out on a CB125T (the T stands for Trainer) which was dope but some goony gently caress on the rebel kept dropping the bike so they made us switch since mine was "easier"

he still dropped it and quit the class at the end of day 1 but i was stuck with the rebel, which had some mysterious choke or vacuum leak issue and kept dying on me. and it was hard to steer because they put giant highway bars on it that scraped after a 20 degree lean angle. drat I'm still mad about that

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 12, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Was looking into exhausts and tunes and such for the FZ.

How and how strictly does California enforce exhaust and tuning mods? I can't find a "street legal" version of many products

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

yeah its just water and antifreeze right?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

If it's not safe to clutch in and wave with your throttle hand then it's probably not safe to wave at all :colbert:

But seriously you can totally see when somebody waves with their off hand, because over here it's not hidden behind three hundred pounds of flesh.

We're just cultivating mass over here

I usually throw up a huge peace sign, everyone seems ok with it. Not many other bikers in Camarillo though, unless you count the obnoxiously loud Harley weekend warrior that wakes me up while I'm sleeping in

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

builds character posted:

I too would like to play four Yorkshiremen with garages. I swapped out the crank case in this, using that ikea bag full of tools.

Is it legal to rent out garages as living quarters? I just need a garage and like, space for a bed. and a shitter. I don't cook. Getting tired of my open air apartment parking lot

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Linedance posted:

While probably not technically legal, depending on where you are, you could probably rent an industrial lockup with a bathroom+ maybe a small office for not a lot compared to an actual apartment, and if the landlord doesn't mind and you keep it low key, you'd probably get away with it. An awful lot (if not all) depends on your location though.

SoCal. I'm sure our commie government has a law against it somewhere on the books haha

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

this is obvious but make sure there's enough gas in the tank

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Phrasing posted:

I'm glad we're on battery talk.

Like an idiot I left the lights on my bike on all night and completely discharged the battery. Is it safe to recharge and reuse the same battery or should I go and buy a new one?

I don't know how ethical this is but if the battery's under warranty you might be able to just go get a new one fo free

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Kane posted:

Do quoted prices for new bikes (what you see on the site) include taxes?

No, and a lot of places will tack on a delivery + setup fee on top of that which can be like $400 get a used CBR500

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The first time I used a torque wrench to spec (on a bicycle) I was afraid I was going to break either the bike, or the wrench. Would have never torqued all the way to spec without the wrench

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What are some good commuter / canyon friendly tires for a california resident? I do ride in the rain, but it never rains here. Bike is an FZ07

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I am using Pirelli Angel GTs on the ZRX. Tread life is pretty good, and they handled relatively well in the rain as well. They don't feel very sticky though, so if you have a lot of canyon riding to do then they might not be your first choice. I found them pretty cheap though, so I'm happy.

You're in Socal, right?

I am. Most of my commute stays in Ventura county but I also have to be at an office in Santa Monica occasionally.

I do a lot of cutting through the Santa Monica mountains when the 101-405 interchange is backed up. Don't really push the bike hard or anything but I can recognize good tires and feel more confident when I have them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Which tires did yours come with? Mine got the Bridgestone Battlax BT-023s which were a great commuter and twisties tire as long as you aren't looking to drag knee.

I'm having Battlax T30s put on the VFR right now, replacing the old Contiattacks that the previous owner had.

Pretty sure they do say Battlax on the side. I'm at about 3k miles so it's not super pressing to get new ones yet. I am slipping the rear a lot off the line now though. Maybe that's just me riding like a dong

FZ 07 to VFR huh? That's... quite possibly the same direction I might be headed. I want something with more luggage, ABS, traction control, heated grips, self canceling turn signals, VTEC. Do you like it?

I justify that stuff to myself because I refuse to own a car. I think lanesplitting might suck with panniers though.

I also really miss my old Honda so I just want to get another Honda. Planning to put at least 10k miles on the FZ and then I think I'll get something more DadBike

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 6, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I pull with the inside arm, what now??

e: that was a joke but I do kind of feel like I'm trying to pull the inside handlebar towards the ground when I'm leaned over a bit

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Are rangers better than the japanese counterparts? 2wd early model Tacomas, Nissan Hardbodies and the like?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Gorson posted:

I'm so old and boring I salivate over those Ford Transit vans. You can easily fit a bike in the back of one, along with all the other pants-creaming utility it provides.

Is that the pad material, separated from the backing plate?

Transit or Transit-Connect?

The new Transit vans are dope. I build them on the Ford website for fun.

I toured the midwest with a band last summer and now I'm really into vans. Vans!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Or just leave it stock because Honda engineering knows what you need better than you do :angel:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

E wrong thread

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I rode my rear brake a lot yesterday skimming stopped traffic through malibu 1 north.

I like the feel of control the rear brake gives but I'm concerned about wear. should i be though? mainly first gear

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It's a separate test in CA, and also TN I believe.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

I still haven't thought up a diplomatic way to tell him to lean his drat bike more so we don't have to go from 60 -> 20 mph

Maybe you should take the lead so he can see you take the right lines at speed and follow along

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I'm at about 4000mi now and the oil in my FZ's sightglass is looking kinda gross. It's not all the way black but it's definitely not a golden clear like when I got it. The first oil change was at 600 miles and the service manual says I don't have to change it again until 6000. Should I change it anyway or just leave it?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Nah oil turns black pretty quick. It's designed to catch combustion garbage and hold it in suspension, so by turning black it's doing its job.

Change it at the interval unless you think your riding style is particularly hard.

It's not. Thanks.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

If you're in the LA area I'll ride with you sometime. I don't have any bike friends here. I'm real slow tho. I live in Ventura county so my weekend leisure rides are usually on the 150 and stuff. Other than that I'm just a commuter

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The XSR looks like hot garbage imo

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

My fz 7 is getting dirty as balls and the patina is making the bike grow on me. Still feels way too bouncy, maybe I should dial the rear shock back a bit? I went up to 5 / 10 on the dial. I weight about 200 and downtime a have a bit of luggage on the tail

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Should I worry about my rear brake wear? I ride it for miles on the days I have to split Malibu. It just helps me control the bike better

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

if you live near the ocean your bike is gonna get rusty anyway

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

So I've been getting bike fever over the past few weeks to the point where I think I'm probably going to actually go through with it. I really like the look of Triumph Bonnevilles but looking on Craigslist I'm not sure I wanna drop that much on a starter bike. What are some similar bikes I should be looking at?

Take the msf if they still offer it this late in the year in your area.

Obligatory http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKFsce5phw

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 20, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I split everywhere, in every lane configuration, at all speeds and all times. If the exit ramp is backed up, I split that depending on which side of the lane is being hogged by cars. If both sides are hogged, I'll sidle up on the shoulder.

But generally keep it below 50mph. Different story in the county, but if I'm doing 50 on a freeway in LA I'm pretty happy as it is

If you're on the freeway split the far left lanes until you need to exit, or if you need to pass a slower splitter who isn't paying attention to their mirrors you can go around on the lane to the right.

Just take it easy at first. When faster people get up on your rear end, be polite and let them pass, they got poo poo to do.

Give a peace sign or thumbs up to cars who notice you and move out of your way.

Keep an eye out for people changing lanes without signals. If they merge into you, just deal with it. Maybe give them a little horn if it's real bad but I usually just go around them

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, that seems weird. Even in a car you should always be in the appropriate gear for your speed, in case you need to gtfo of somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I went to a really mediocre metal show at Larimer Lounge on a Tuesday without plugs and I still have ringing in my ears

Still wear earplugs tho, riding bikes is better with earplugs