Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm still not sure how to structure this op and I'm always looking for suggestions. With that out of the way welcome to the second motorcycle question thread. This thread is meant to be a place where you can ask a question about motorcycling that is not involved enough to deserve its own thread. With that said, this is NOT the place the chat about motorcycles.

From the last thread:

Sigtrap posted:

Stop using this thread as a chat room. It's for stupid/newbie questions, and at the rate it's growing it's useless. As I said before, if you want to chat about motorcycle poo poo, START A NEW THREAD.

Now with that out of the way, here are some links to other places and threads to help out with your questions.

First, consult the motorbike wiki as a precaution.

Q: I'm about to take my MSF and I'm scared, what should I do to not gently caress up?
A: Go here to read other's first hand experiences along with tips and tricks for making the MSF more enjoyable and to help you prepare.

Q: What should I get for a first bike? A 600cc supersport is okay rite??
A: Here is our answer to that question. Now if you want real advice about what first bike you should get go here.

Q: I found a bike that I think won't kill me, but I don't know if the bike is a good deal?
A: Kdc67 has started a thread just to help out with that very question. Its located here.

Q: What do you think about this jacket? These Boots? Pants?!?
A: We have a bike gear thread to answer all your questions about protective apparel while on your motorcycle machine.

Q: Where can I go to read about motorcycle products and..."stuff".
A: I've been turned onto Web Bike World by people on here. Lots of great product reviews to let you know whats out there.

Q: I can't see poo poo at night!
A: I have a thread started here dealing with lighting on motorcycles that may benefit you.

If I may add this suggestion, we get a lot of carburetor questions, and they are usually answered by Nerobro and Z3n. A separate thread may be in order for just that subject alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

Well I'm financially ready to buy a motorcycle.

89 Kawasaki Ninja

$1300.

Here's the craiglist
http://odessa.craigslist.org/mcy/835574617.html

Any thoughts?

The whole time I was negotiating I thought it was a Ninja 250. Turns out its a Ninja 600....is this okay?

???

There is a whole thread for this type of question here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973065

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Does anyone have a preferred brand for steel brake lines for their motorcycles? What about hand guards, anyone got a favorite?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

I like Galfer. Don't have anything else to really go on there, IMO lines are lines, pretty much. They'll cut them to any length you specify, which is nice, without any extra charge.

When you say "they'll" who is that? As far as I can tell Galfer only sells to distributors.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey I'm changing out the clutch cable on my 2003 Sv650 with a new one. I thought I read somewhere that the clutch cables are teflon lined and don't need to be lubed? Is this right? If the cable does need to be lubed what you all recommend?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

chryst posted:

Any ideas on this? When my Warrior is cold, like running less than around 5 minutes, it stalls when I'm braking and kick it down into first as I come to a stop.

It starts right up again, and it idles fine, just keeps stalling at that first stoplight as I exit my neighborhood. I'm usually in third, brake and blip-shift down to second, then as I'm still braking, at about 10-15mph, I let off the gas, pull the clutch, kick it into first, and it dies.

Once well warmed up, there's zero problems.

My dad has a Warrior too and his does the same thing. However when I ride the motorcycle it doesn't happen to me. So my first question is are you running stock exhaust or aftermarket? Second is, how aggressive are you driving when this happens? I putter around on the bike and pops guns the poo poo out of it and it dies on him. Plus he has straight pipes so I think the answer lies in the computer not being tuned for the new exhaust but this is just a guess.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

chryst posted:

Good to know it's not just me, cause that sounds like it's at least not a mechanical thing that'll get worse.

Yeah, it's got the V&H Big Shots exhaust. Not straight pipes, but they flow more than the stock. I baby my bikes when they're cold, but maybe it'll help to not blip into second.

Thanks for the info. Guess I have an excuse to get a power commander now, huh?

That's what I would guess but rswarrior.com forums may have the answer for you, if you love MURICA. Here and svrider spoiled me and I forgot what other motorcycle forums are like.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MROUWMPGH posted:

Hey all - I've been lurking and searching and have found about 5 references to V-Stars in this entire forum... is there a reason for a lack of VStar love?

All of my google-foo has revealed nothing but glowing praise for the VStar Custom and Classic (650 or 1100) and I wants me that 650. The price is totally right and a deal sits nearby, pining for me. Is there a catch I've missed??

Hey I know you said you're getting a deal on that Virago but depending on what you're looking for in a cruiser you might also check out the Suzuki M50 too. Its a cruiser with sportier intentions than most in the 800cc range. I was trying to convince my dad to buy one before I got him to settle on the Yamaha Warrior.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

See that nut for the steering stem? Where do I find a socket for that nut? I've seen recommendations for a 36mm socket but the sides are much more concave than a regular nut. Is there a special socket for these things?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

A normal socket in the right size fits it fine.

So why are the sides on that nut so caved in when normal sockets and nuts have flat sides? Does that serve any purpose?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Anyone know of a good source for a 7inch headlight trim ring? I've got a fiberglass headlight bucket that I need to get a ring for to hold in a new light.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Good place to order some of the Buell turn signals everyone uses?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Yeah, I'm coming from my SV650.

Wait, you would ride with the SV at 3,000 rpms? Mine begins to lug around 4000-4500 rpm.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Pompous, fill it to the upper hashmark next near the sightglass. Clean up the surface and take a picture if you have difficulty finding it.

What you mean that word? I used a lot of them... Z3n!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

If your twin engine lugs at 4k rpm there's something wrong with it. Lugging means that feeling where you can hear and feel it just barely make the next revolution, on the verge of stalling.

It's not so bad at 4k where it's on the verge of stalling but it definitely loses its sewing machine smoothness. I doubt the bike would be happy at 3.5k that seems crazy. I'll go try today or tomorrow and see.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

Good place to order some of the Buell turn signals everyone uses?

I found the factory part numbers of the turn signals off advrider. Called my local Harley dealer and they said since they never carried any Buells they can't get any Buell "products". Sounds like a bullshit we don't want to deal with you answer. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

High Protein posted:

I believe this is actually true. Americansportbike.com probably has those turn signals.

This was on the money. Appreciate it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coydog posted:

I have what I hope is a simple dumb question. When I'm riding the sv, sometimes I'll hear a fairly loud SPLOIURCH! repeatedly accompanied by the bike wiggling back and forth. the sensation is that of a tire going flat and slipping around, and it gives me such a spook I can't pin down where its coming from other than "below me". This is different from the gas vent whistle, which I haven't really heard much. after a couple minutes it settles back down and rides normally. What is happening? Should I be worried? I have only been riding since Friday so I don't know things.

Oh my god dude WHAT ARE YOU DOING to that thing. Are you chopping the throttle when this happens? What I mean is are you letting the throttle off abruptly? It is a v-twin so it will have some decent engine compression. Like Z3n said check the tire pressures and chain. Chain was replaced within the last two years, if anything was suspect on it maybe the master link? Just get a new one and pop it on there? The rear tire keeps air pressure better than the front due to the metal valve stem in the rear, but do keep an eye on the pressures. Keep in mind the back wheel will have special spacers from where the Honda wheel was fit on there, so don't lose them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

Also sprockets.

Yeah but those sprockets and chain should have less than 1,000 miles on them. Sprockets are steel and chain is gold RK chain I think. Either that or a d.i.d.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

What do you mean at "The highest possible notch"? It's probably fine if it's a stock spring cause they're notoriously undersprung.

I had the rear shock at max preload for my fat rear end. I told him it would probably be a good idea to back off the preload since he's a reasonable weight. Agree/disagree?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

So, really, you're blowing smoke out of your rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVrFjZ10J00

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

Good call... time to start taking the car to work until I can sort this out.

The bike is an 85 Honda Nighthawk CB450 and the tach is cable driven so far as I can tell externally. I'll squirt some lube down there and check the worm gear this evening. I haven't disassembled it yet, so there could be some hidden electronic gadgetry in there... I've only owned the bike for a couple of months, so I'm still learning all this as I go.

At the speeds which the noise pops up, it's difficult for me to hear what the engine is doing against the wind, but I don't believe the engine is really turning as fast as the tach claims. If anything, I'd say it's a bit lean, but maybe that's just be being afraid to push the bike.

The more I think about it, the more the worm gear makes sense...

If you wear some earplugs while you ride it will cut down on the wind noise and you might be able to hear what the engines doing a little easier. Sounds crazy I know but give it a try.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GanjamonII posted:

(rereading that original post yes it is pretty stupid question to ask)

Nah man I would be annoyed by chain rusting too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Hoses come in any color you want, so long as you don't want plain black. Thank God my bike is naked so everyone can see these!

Are those for fuel?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Chichevache posted:

The black 5/16 will be the fuel line. They're supposed to be fine with gasoline, right?

Honestly I dunno. I was reading some on adventure rider about fuel line and some folks complained about tygon saying it would harden after being exposed to fuel. I went with black rubbber sae306r or something like that fuel line. But those look so cool... mmaannn.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think my choke cable might be slipping, is that a thing? The first 50% of lever movement does nothing, and from there moving it to the end only gets me briefly to 3krpm before the engine dies. To actually pull off a cold start I have to jam the lever right into its end stop, and if it springs back even a millimetre the engine will sputter and die like it's not pulling enough fuel.

I swear it wasn't always like this.

Mine did something very similar. There is an adjustment mechanism on the end of the cable for mine to take out more slack. Check to see if you have something similar. Mine was on the carbs themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've done apple cider vinegar, that might be worth a try before busting out the big guns.