Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

pzy posted:

$50 is right at that "ehhhhh I guess" threshold, I'll go back tomorrow and see if it's still there.

So did ya get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Any companies make semi-automatic turntables these days? Want to buy a record player (have re-discovered several boxes of albums in the loft) and, yes, I could just buy a manual Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, but would like the convenience of the drat thing switching itself off.

Or does the extra parts that make up the return system impact on sound quality and just bump up the price?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

TooLShack posted:

Got a new turntable last week, just finished servicing it and replacing tonearm belt. It's a Technics SL-15, with automatic track detection and programming.

Phonolube? What sort of servicing were you doing?

Fake edit: Nice find.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Qwijib0 posted:

I have a carbon, I like it.

I play 95% 33s, so the pulley switch to 45 isn't a big deal and I'm just using the TCC TC-750 preamp with it since my receiver didn't have a phono input. If I were looking today I think I'd still buy it.

The 110v version of the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon allows you to connect the Pro-Ject Speed Box S, so you just push a button to change from 45 - 33rpm. The UK version, annoyingly however, isn't compatable and you'll have to spend £200 and buy the Speed Box DS Strobo to do the same thing.

edit - went with UK links.

As for a cheap phono preamp, you could try the Behringer PP400 for £17 as a stopgap, while looking for a cheap, second hand NAD-PP1 or Cambridge Audio CA 640P later on.

Dynavox TC-750 is only £27.62! That's a bargain.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 27, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Bape Culture posted:

Could I just do it manually and not buy that?
Also seems I have one recommendation for each now I was hoping it'd be an easy decision haha!

Yes, you can do it manually, it's easy enough (and the Rega is similar).. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePqxCASmKLw

Bape Culture posted:

Also seems I have one recommendation for each now I was hoping it'd be an easy decision haha!
Either turntable will do you fine. They're the two I'm looking at as well.

Bape Culture posted:

So if I buy either of the tables plus a tc750 I am good to go?

Yes you are.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 27, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Dogen posted:

Also don't they need a special stylus?

quote:

To playback your 78 RPM record with fidelity and accuracy you need to use a stylus designed for 78 RPM record grooves. A very common misconception is that you can use a LP stylus for playing 78 RPM records. This is one quick and sure way to damage the 78 record groove. Playing it once is enough. Moreover, the LP stylus is much narrower than the 78 RPM record groove hence the tip will slide to the bottom of the groove where debris has collected for many decades. This results in extraordinarily high surface noise. The LP stylus will also sway on either side of the groove wall or misses the groove wall where the sound was recorded. All in all, it's not good for the 78 RPM record, for your LP stylus, and for listening.

Sales list of needles for 78 records

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chaucer posted:

My 16-year-old component CD player died in a move. I have a Marantz 2245 powering Axiom m22 speakers. What's a good option if I'm crazy and willing to spend up to $400 on a near-dead format?

The Onkyo C-7030 gets good reviews and is under $200, add a Schitt Modi 2 Uber for $149 and you're under budget.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 1, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ColdPie posted:

Replaced all seven electrolytic capacitors on my SL-23, and that appears to finally have fixed the stability problem! I've never seen the strobe pips so steady. Daft Punk doesn't sound drunk anymore. The replacement for the huge 1000uF capacitor on the main power board is like 1/3 the size of the original part, heh. The leads almost didn't reach.
Just about to pick up a SL-23 for my first TT. Almost shelled out over £400 on a second hand Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (w/GRado Black) + Speed Box DS, before I realised my desire for a record player might just fade over a couple of weeks (and anyway, I do have more important bills to pay). So it was either the Technics SL-23 or Pioneer a PL-12D (both serviced) for a starter deck.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 13, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Picked up a Technics SL-23 in very good condition cheaply, but it didn't come with a headshell. Didn't think this was a problem. Was then gifted a Linn K9 cart in [supposedly] good condition, but that came with no fixing bolts. Didn't think that was a problem.

Got everything delivered and of course now I realise that I can't play records without a headshell or bolts to attach the cartridge.

What do I need to finish my setup? As I have never even touched the finer points of a turntable before, what type of headshell do I need? What length bolts? Will I need a stylus force gauge or even a Technics overhang gauge to set the cart at the right distance? Spirit level? Many of these can be bought cheaply, but I should have done my homework first (or bought a brand new record player)

Will most likely be picking these things up from Amazon (UK), ebay or where ever is recommended.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

TooLShack posted:

Ha, smash that stylus into the record dude.
Holy poo poo. Wrecked.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I was about to post, who would buy somthing that looks like Calculon, but then...

drat, that's a fine piece of kit.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

evobatman posted:

All of it went for about $1100. Nobody wanted it with my previous ad that was $800, so I thought I was safe.

Nice.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, if you get the price you asked for, someone obviously thought it was fair.

It's not like I'm in dire need of a CD player, eventually something will pop up. There's an early 90s Sony that I can get for $5, but I'm not sure about a 25 year old unit, especially since Sony has always had a reputation for lovely lasers that like to die. Ideally I want something like an early-2000s Technics, but not for the $50 people are asking.

For $5 what have you got to lose?

*apart from 5 bucks.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

m.hache posted:

Messaging the guy now.

He mentions the Technics SL-23 Needs work. I'm trying to figure out what he means by that.

Could mean the pots need deoxit, or new belt...

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

You also only have two of the four headshell wires that connect the headshell to the cartridge. There should be four of them.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nice grandfather clock on the right.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Jeza posted:

Just saw this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Lo...gAAAOSwr~lYtZLD

What kind of monster would turn that system into...that? God, every time I look it's worse.

Jesus, my eyes!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ColdPie posted:

Then it had a pretty bad speed wobble, which was fixed by replacing all of the capacitors (about 7).

That looks like what I'm going to have to do with my Technics SL-23, starts wobbling after about 20 mins.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 11, 2018

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ColdPie posted:

That's actually exactly the table I have. It's super easy, big components and easy to access.

E: Also, protip, jot down what you do next to the date onto some paper and slip that into the case when you close it back up. Then you, or whoever services it next, will know what was done and when.

Good tip. What brand of caps did you go with for your SL-23?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

link

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DoesNotCompute posted:

Double post of DIY poo poo.

Needed a little bit of record storage, went a little ham on making it look nice. Just birch plywood, purple heart hardwood edging and reclaimed maple for the slats on the rear. I am PLEASED.

That is very slick.
Also, nice murder barn outside your window.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Jerry Cotton posted:

I can't decide if I'm the horrible sofa or the terrible carpet.

Wrong. That rug really tied the room together.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DoesNotCompute posted:

For reference, this Micro cost me 100 dollars at a local record shop. Even the low end ones look pretty nice.

That is a nice rack.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

wa27 posted:

Google discontinued the Chromecast Audio for good this week, and it's impossible to get them now. It's a shame because that was a nice accessory for old stereo systems - much better than bluetooth receivers IMO. I went ahead and bought myself a second one last night while they were still clearing them out.

Yeah, just bought one for myself.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Thought with Phil Collins it was No Jacket Required.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

polyester concept posted:

he made a dumb joke and it went over both your heads, congrats on being idiots

Well drat.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Found I had won this turntable in a competition, going to be interesting to try it out:

https://www.thehouseofmarley.com/turntable/stir-it-up-wireless-turntable.html

My other table is a Technics SL-23 from 1976, but that needs the capacitors replacing and I don't have the time or cash for that at the moment.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Flipperwaldt posted:

I would for sure start with taking those semi circular washers off. I think they're called e-clips? I expect they are pretty much what is holding the whole sandwich together.

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-E-Clips

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Don Dongington posted:

Oh and here's the Baby Kreisler radiogram that I've been resto-modding with modern electronics:

Running a Pioneer PL-12D retrofitted in place of the old ceramic cartridge unit, into a ProJect phono pre, and then amplified with a TPA3116, which also provides bluetooth audio. I still have to tidy up and polish the control panel, swap the knobs out for some brushed aluminium fellows and actually restore the veneer on the drat thing. Sounds good though. Usually covered in less sawdust.

That is glorious.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

evobatman posted:

Did someone say square woofers?

Didn't realise Sony made those design that large.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The first customer review of the Technics SL-100C is up on the Amazon UK, complete with photos and a video.

The review reads like it was translated from a foreign language with Google Translate (and don't watch the end of the video unless you really want to cringe, people who are unwilling to follow instructions probably shouldn't play records).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B094R84292/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=avf-post-widget-21&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B094R84292

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mederlock posted:

Invest in your music collection :p:
Yeah, enjoy what you've got for a while before you consider upgrading anything.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DoesNotCompute posted:

Also yes we made the dogs custom beds with bedside tables.
Well that's just the cutest thing.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BigFactory posted:

I’d say most people in this thread is on the same page with that. I’m half deaf from going to too many concerts so I can’t tell the difference. Records are more fun to play and ancient gear is more fun to use and look at and tinker with.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So shiny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mederlock posted:

Why not just do all 3? CD is still great, well mastered/looked after cheap vinyl is great, high res/CD -res streamed music is good too. I wouldn't get too caught up in a single format. Especially DSD specifically. I check the thrift stores and stuff oftenand you'll find an SACD once in a while, their case is pretty distinctive so they're easy to pick out.