Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

K. Waste posted:

I mean, isn't Return of the Living Dead basically this? The "man is the real monster" metaphor frequently relies on prejudice and ignorance being the "why," but in Return of the Living Dead there's a pretty overt rejection of Night of the Living Dead and those same qualities in people just make the conscious sadism and viciousness of the zombies more pronounced and less sympathetic.

The military created the zombies in the first place, so in a college anarchist way, the maaaaaan could be the real enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The best jump scare I've seen is the jack-in-the-box egg scene from Alien. It's drenched in atmosphere, and that slight hesitation of "what the hell is that" before it actually happens is great.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

The shuttle scare is also pretty perfect.

I don't think it holds up quite as well on repeat viewings, but it's still really good.

Mister J posted:

Can't believe the ventilation shaft jump scare in Alien is getting third billing in this thread.

I think it's pretty telling how good Alien is if the most popular scene is in fourth place now. Alien is loving great.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Pumpkinhead has a goofy name that makes it sound like a crazy dude with a pumpkin on his head is murdering teens, but it's way better than that. It's a great story of revenge with some brutally simple kills, and excellent creature effects, but what else would you expect from a Stan Winston-directed movie?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
What jump scares are people referring to in Inland Empire and Mulholland Drive? I just watched the former this week, but don't remember any jump scares.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Watching Pumpkinhead right now and Joel might be in my top 5 biggest pieces of poo poo movie list.

Also, there needs to be more movies involving the magic and folklore of mountain folk.

What'd you think of Pumpkinhead?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I'd seen it a couple times when I was a kid but it had been at least 15 years. I love it even more now after rewatching it, it's just a perfect little horror film. I mean, it doesn't miss a loving beat once Pumpkinhead is summoned, and that creature design is all types of amazing for what I imagine was a fairly low budget. But you can tell they really loved that monster.

Stan Winston directed it, so of course he loves the creature effects. I love all the lights, the leaves, and the cricket sounds. Pumpkinhead rules. It's a simple film, but it's so brutal in execution. Between it and Return of the Living Dead, I'm starting to wonder if working on Alien gave everyone magic good-movie powers.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

More movies need to do play with the environment like Pumpkinhead does. I love how Southern it is.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

InfiniteZero posted:

It got weird. Sorry. Those are all great under the radar films though in my opinion at least. Long time posters in this thread will be shocked at my restraint in not recommending a certain film with Warren Oates and Peter Fonda in it.

Is it Race With The Devil? I hope it's Race With The Devil.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

InfiniteZero posted:

Of course, I never shut the gently caress up about that movie. I have a burning love for it. If I die tonight my friends will probably put a copy of it in my casket.

"I dunno ... an orgy maybe?"

Race With The Devil rules. It's stupid and goofy, but I love it so much. How can I dislike a movie where Peter Fonda whips a snake around the inside of an RV?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'm indifferent to A Field In England, but it's the guy who did Kill List making a film set during the English Civil War, so that could scratch your period horror itch.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's the successor to Carnival of Souls

Sold

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Kvlt! posted:

What are some movies like Evil Dead (2013) or Hills Have Eyes?

Modern, violent, splattery bloody spurty stuff.

Franchised slasher flicks aside.

I didn't care for the movie as a whole, but the 3rd act of Cabin In The Woods is a good splatterfest.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Return of the Living Dead is awesome.

I still occasionally get the zombification song stuck in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo6eIriOgSg

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Tell the thread when you're done. I haven't seen it yet, but I like the film adaptations of King's work I've seen, and I've heard it's good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

watching Maximum Overdrive is never a bad idea. is it still on Netflix? now I wanna rewatch it too.

According to Can I Stream It, it's not available for streaming or digital renting anywhere.

Edit: you can rent it on Amazon, or you can buy the DVD for $70. If you go for the Raw Deal combo pack, you can get that for $50! :madmax:

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 22, 2015

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ruddiger posted:

The trailer for Maximum Overdrive is unparalleled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygWMy-QQNbw

MAXIMUM KING

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Pope Guilty posted:

Speaking of Stephen King, The Dead Zone is on Netflix. It's not amazing, but I enjoyed it.

It's not really a horror movie, but I'll go to bat for The Dead Zone. It's a solid thriller with strong emotional backing. Walken and Sheen kill it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched The Babadook last night, and it ruled. The pterodactyl noise was definitely used in the first Land Before Time movie, I'm pretty sure it was for one of Sharptooth's sounds. I also got the feeling that Jennifer Kent loves New Nightmare.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

ROTL is probably equally influential as Night at this point.

If I remember right, it invented the concepts of talking zombies and fast zombies, so it definitely had a large influence.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It also originated zombies craving brains specifically, rather than just being cannibals.

Ah, I knew I was forgetting something else. It's such a great idea, and it seems so obvious now. God, I really want to rewatch Return of the Living Dead now.

Basebf555 posted:

The more horror I see the more RotLD shoots up my all-time list. Its the best horror-comedy ever, that much I'm sure of. But it may be one of the top-5 horror movies of all-time, period. I struggle to think of more than one or two horror films that I'd place above it.

Evil Dead 2 just barely edges it out as a better horror-comedy, but both are loving great.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

hey

psst

i really like horror movies

I used to hate horror movies. But I was a dumbass back then.

Did I gently caress up by telling a friend who dislikes horror, but I want to like horror, to watch Eyes Without a Face and Repulsion? I went with more arthouse-acceptable horror, but I still feel like I might have made some bad choices for him.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
So, uh, Phantasm. What a loving odd movie, but I'm pretty sure I loved it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It Follows was good, but it didn't quite live up to the hype.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e: speaking of things that own, Re-Animator owns

Yeah, Re-Animator rules. It lets loose, and doesn't hold back at all.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Anyone else catch The Nightmare? I thought it was pretty good. It does a really good job showing that these people literally cannot do anything as horrors unfold before their eyes. It also delves into interesting territory when it lets the interviewees talk about what the night terrors means to them, and what they think causes it, and how these night terrors have influenced culture in general, from stereotypical alien invaders to Freddy Krueger.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Can You Smell What The Giger's Cookin?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jenny Angel posted:

Saw The Nightmare in a completely empty theater, and that was a fun-as-hell movie. I'd honestly put it up there with Lake Mungo in terms of horror movies that really earn their single jump scare. I'll have a bit more to say about it later, but for now I'm just trying to figure out if I've experienced sleep paralysis or a related condition, since a lot of it (brought on by times of stress, feelings of pressure, phantom sounds of insects buzzing and machinery churning) felt disturbingly familiar, but it's always ended in a matter of seconds and has never resulted in any feelings of paralysis or shadow men or poo poo like that.

I also saw it in an empty theater, which is a shame because I think it would have been fun with a crowd. What are you saying is the jump scare? The "Insect of the Month?"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jenny Angel posted:

In a turn that shouldn't really surprise me, it seems like most of the negative reviews of The Nightmare focus on how it could've "dove deeper" into the condition by interviewing more experts and taking a broader view of its history and pathology, which, holy poo poo, is missing the forest for the trees if I've ever seen it.

I'm not surprised, but still disappointed. Its focus is primarily on the people it affects, how they deal with it, what it means to them, etc. It's all about the people.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It was Herzog who said a documentary should tell the truth, not the facts, right? That's exactly what The Nightmare does.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Kvlt! posted:

What are your guys' favorite sci fi-horrors? Event Horizon and Pandorum come to mind, trying to find some more.

Alien and the Thing are the most obvious choices, for good reason. Prince of Darkness is part sci-fi and part religious horror. If you want to stretch the definition of sci-fi, Eyes Without a Face is incredible. Phantasm loving rules. I'll stand for Halloween 3.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Crap, how did I forget about Terminator?

morestuff posted:

The 80s Fly remake and the 70s Body Snatchers remake

Since you brought up Cronenberg, I feel obligated to mention Videodrome.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

InfiniteZero posted:

I feel shame.

Does Night of the Creeps count as sci-fi? It's got aliens and a spaceship.

THRILL ME

Night of the Creeps counts. It also functions as an 80s college comedy and almost-slasher. It's surprising how much fun it is, given how much it tries to do. I saw it for the first time at a Halloween horror marathon last year, and they brought in the male and female lead, and the guy who plays the jock. They all left during the second movie, and the dude who played the jock was getting real creepy with the lady. Fun times.

It goes great with Halloween 3, if only for Atkins Mustache.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

InfiniteZero posted:

Closest contenders are probably Dark Night of the Scarecrow and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Salem's Lot is better than both.

I haven't seen any of these, but how does Duel rank?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Top of the line.

I guess I should have said how does Duel rank against those, because Duel is the only made-for-TV horror movie I've seen.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Shampy posted:

What are the current favorites on Netflix streaming? I've been looking for something to watch but slogging through all the bullshit sucks and it feels like everything is like 1 or 2 stars.

Hellraiser 1 and 2, Children of the Corn, My Bloody Valentine, Scream, New Nightmare (if you've seen a couple Nightmare on Elm Street movies), Night of the Living Dead, Nosferatu, The Omen.

Hot Rod is a good movie. :colbert:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Director's Cut of Nightbreed is incredibly frustrating. It's a half-hour longer than it should be if he wanted a concise horror movie, but it's a half-hour shorter than it should be if he wanted to explore the underworld more and make it more like "the Star Wars of monster movies." As it stands, it's and awkward middle ground that just feels really off. The last half-hour is a blast, though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

anime tupac posted:

I like anything that can still manage being scary in crowds/daylight (e.g. some parts out of The Ring).

Can we talk a bit about this? The sun sets are really late here currently, and I'd like to watch some good horror movies that aren't set in super dark nighttime. The only ones I've seen, off the top of my head, are Children of the Corn and Duel. I'm assuming Ju-On has some day stuff?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

InfiniteZero posted:

Most of the movie takes place at night, but there's a bunch of daytime stuff that people often forget about.

Also: Illinois palm trees (not pictured here, but in plain view a bunch of times).

Most cannibal films take place during the day too.

Good calls, I forgot about Halloween and Cannibal Holocaust. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is probably a good one, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TheJoker138 posted:

So me and a few friends do a weekly movie night at the home theater one of them has in their basement. We have been planning on making October a horror theme night since we started, and it's recently come to my attention that one of them has seen basically no horror films. So the plan has slightly shifted to be a super basic crash course in the genre, from the birth of film to the present. We only do a max of 3 movies a week, and there's only 4 weeks in October, so there's going to be holes in it, but I think I have a pretty solid list worked out. However, I have two classic slasher things on there (Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th) and no Japanese horror. I'd like to replace Ft13 with something from Japan so we at least have one example of British stuff (I have a Hammer film earlier) and one from the East. So basically if you guys had to pick one Japanese horror film that was a must see, which would it be? Ju-On? Ringu? Something less mainstream?

Go for broke and show House (1977)