Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not my ride (I am embarrassed of mine), but the car my dad just bought today. Photos taken before we left the lot.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

It's a 2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI estate in flint grey with pretty much all the options that were available. Fantastically comfortable in my opinion, got a decent amount of power for overtaking, but really smooth. Most importantly it fits all of us inside with room to spare - him and two sons, all of us 6', my mum and the dog. Loads of legroom and headroom.

I'm phenomenally jealous.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My new car.

No front shot because I wasn't forward thinking enough to take one.

2001 Volvo S60 2.0 T S automatic. Very happy with it so far. I'd have preferred one that wasn't red, but I was fortunate enough to not be paying and this one was cheapest. And the colour is growing on me.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Pipkin posted:

Found some pictures of my GTI I took over the summer. Ill take some better ones soon now that I figured out how to use my camera.

That's my least favourite model of Golf/Rabbit, but yours looks really nice.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

2001 Volvo S60 2.0T, unmodified.

I neglected to post a front picture when I got the car. I wasn't keen on the red initially, but this was the best value for money so I got it. Since then it has really grown on me and the finish seems to be in very good condition, given its age. I love this car, it's comfortable, sensible, and has enough power to overtake when needed.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

CharlesM posted:

I've never really followed Mercedes, but that C class styling looks very nice to me.

The C and E classes of this latest generation all look loving awesome. I think they're one of the models whose looks will fare well with age, too.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sarthek posted:

1966; C-code 289; "Cruise-O-Matic" transmission. Forty-four years of lounging around in California, only to be brought over to England in its dotage and exposed to rain, potholes and ambient volcanic ash.

That is, believe it or not, my only car. It costs me a fortune to run and I love it.

It's loving beautiful. What is cruise-o-matic? Some form of automatic?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

wallaka posted:

Traded in the M3 for this 2005 E55 AMG, 55,000 miles. 479 horsepower, and torques...all of them. Ever. I can't even really describe it besides brutal, relentless power. It makes it seem so effortless, too. I was used to flogging the M3 like a Honda because of the power delivery, and this is the complete opposite.

I think I'm in love.

I would stab a loved one in the face for this car. I would prefer it over anything else in this thread and there is no better colour than black for it. I envy you sir.

Does it have 'sports' seats in it? Or are they the normal super comfortable E-class ones that are more like a lounge chair?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Bape Culture posted:

Here is my car before it goes full clown car

I should start taking my camera places. iPhone will do for now.

Roa Island? My family's boat is in the background! Lovely place for an M3 with the coast road.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I recently got this and I absolutely love it.

2011 BMW E91 330d M-Sport. It's the first car I've actually wanted rather than settled for, the fit and finish is fantastic.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

masterpine posted:

Always a head-turner those station wagons, just lovely.

Thanks! I'm pleased to say I've had several people come up to me and express similar things. Mine is identical to a colleague's, and my boss has the F31 335d - driving the latter influenced this purchase. He's going to court for being caught doing 130mph and I can see how easily he'd have got there!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

New:

New and old:

2017 BMW 330d touring. I couldn't conceive of getting anything different after how much I enjoyed the 2011 model it is sat next to.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 29, 2018

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The first car I've ever had to buy without seeing it or driving it due to covid restrictions. Fortunately my boss has the same one (but not the touring) and I'd driven his, so I had a good idea what I was getting. 2018 BMW G31 520d.

Bigger, nicer inside, and more technology than my F31 330d - yet a fair amount cheaper each month. I decided to get something slower since I virtually never used the power.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thank you for the kind words. There's always been a fond reaction to my BMW estates (E91, F31) in this thread, I don't know if it's because they're some sort of oddity in the US or because we've all just got good taste.

The inside is a lovely place to be:

The 3 series fit my big dog in the back, whereas this will comfortably fit two.

I've become a big fan of the linings from https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/, perfect fit, waterproof, and the last one was durable enough that it served 3 years in the E91 then 3 years in the F31! Not affiliated with them in any way.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Kilonum posted:

At the tender age of 39 I have purchased my first car

it is a fully loaded 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD

It has 249,374 miles on the odometer.

It has some minor cosmetic damage.

The heated seats don't work.

BUT IT IS MY loving CAR gently caress YEAH.

Good car. Checking my post history in this thread I posted my own 11 years ago, but it was just the 2.0L (the image has since disappeared). I drove it many years and it was good, only reason I changed was a sizeable dog necessitating an estate.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got my car washed for the first time since acquisition 5 months ago.

It made the colour look a lot nicer, though admittedly the picture isn't great.

Sat in the same spot as its forbears:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

polygon_monkey posted:

- Dogs fit well in the back

What's this dog divider thing you've got? It is interesting.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I really like how ugly the car is inside and out!

People thought the grill of the E9X was also ugly. Perhaps they were right, but I rather like mine a lot and I have been having a love affair with it this week.

That looks like the LCI version though, which was after they'd removed the stupid grille that looked like it had a moustache.

I hated the pre-LCI but loved the facelift (and owned an E91 330d for 3 years).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

StormDrain posted:

Also to anyone else lurking... Just post. If you've posted before. Post again.

Doggo learned to open his own window.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

That is so cute. Does he do it all the time now he's figured it out?

This was during our annual trip to the Scottish highlands where we're driving for 10+ hours with a load of luggage. We put a child's mattress across the back seat so he can be closer to us for this journey but he usually travels in the boot/trunk for shorter trips, so he's not had the opportunity since. I disabled the rear controls after I noticed!

PBCrunch posted:

I had a Mitsubishi Galant for a very short time. I was taking my dogs to the dog park in it. My bigger dog Peanut stepped on the window control in the armrest, rolled the window all the way down, and then jumped out of the car at a stoplight. Thankfully no other cars were around and I got him back in the car safely. That was the day I learned what window lock switches were really for.

When he's in the back of a car we use something like this to secure him to prevent an escape ... or him trying to get in the front with us. The latter did happen - a 7st dog on your knee is not ideal, even as a passenger.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

nerdrum posted:

I put my big brakes and stupid louvers on

Now I want louvres for my BMW G31 5-series touring.

Edit: And I'm disappointed that nobody's even bothered photoshopping such a thing, let alone creating one.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mine isn't clean, but I liked how it looks even more with roof bars.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is a good car and a very good photo.

I am learning I never posted a photo of my M3 I took during a fall drive. It has been nearly six years since I bought it. I still love every single mile with it.

We went from 70 degrees one day to rain and snow the following day. I have not been able to properly winterize the car since and I worry I might not be able to this year. Kinda stressing me out.

I like the colour, what is it called?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

AirRaid posted:

Blue.

I'm sorry

I'm colour blind. So the joke is on you (or is it on me?).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

cursedshitbox posted:

sup blue tritanomaly buddy

Protanopia, so I wouldn't know if it was purple. But I was just interested in the name, as a blue BMW-haver (Mediterranean blue).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

track day bro! posted:

I’m still regretting not buying an R32 GT-R when the prices bottomed out on em more than 10 years ago. Now it would probably cost me most of a deposit on a house, own property or an R32 GT-R….

I met a guy that somehow made all of the right moves. It started when I was at a relative's place and spotted this out the window:

E61 S85 V10 M5 Touring. I was told the guy has about 5 BMWs out back and loves talking about them so when we spotted him we got talking, he'd got this one for £10k, but he took us round the back and showed us his E30 M3 which he'd got for ... £12k in near perfect condition with a trunk full of original spares. I can't remember when, maybe 15 years ago.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sab669 posted:

Did I hear a rock and stone E9X?

This is excellent and makes me miss mine. Looks great with roof bars too - I've kept them on my G31. Helps me find it when parked, too.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mung Dynasty posted:

I'm a dumb loving bastard with brainworms for 80s cars and almost zero mechanical experience. So I decided to give up a perfectly sorted '87 951 for something worse.

Very nice. I often flirt with the notion of getting rid of my G31 and replacing it with one of these.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I enjoyed my F31 330d more than my E91 330d. It felt a lot less sloppy, more comfortable too. The downside was the move to electric steering.

That said, even though the F31 looked excellent in black with black trim, it's the E91s that make me thinking about getting another.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Darchangel posted:

Really shows off how stupid huge the grilles are now, though.

But status though!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

1990 Volvo 440 - metallic green
1995 Volvo 440 - metallic green (decided to change things up)
2001 Volvo S60 - red (I hated this colour, but it was the cheapest used one available)
2011 BMW 330d touring - space grey (boring but adequate colour)
2017 BMW 330d touring - sapphire black metallic (looked loving great ... when it was freshly washed)
2018 BMW 520d touring - mediterranean blue (think I'll get blue cars from now on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Don't know what country you're in but I use:

https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/

Specific models, waterproof, and customisable. I've had them for my last 3 cars and they're incredibly durable.