Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

Here's a neat interview with Night Dive.

One major takeaway is that they fully own the rights for System Shock now and are currently planning on making a full remake of System Shock 1.

The part about trying to re-release NOLF makes me seriously angry at current IP law and idiot publishers, though.

Then again after Batman: Arkham Knight, WB is already on my list of poo poo publishers so I probably shouldn't be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What was wrong with Ultima 9, besides than the performance issues/memory leaks and getting stuck/falling through geometry occasionally that is?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really hate these sales. They're predicated on people not already owning the games, and they're gonna be largely the same ones from the last insomnia sale. Have they not understood the concept of diminishing returns?

That's not a problem unique to GOG sales though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
DA:O DRM free is sort of out of left field, but I'll take it.

SC3k not so much (the out of left field part, I have to buy that ASAP).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The SimGolf that came out in 2002 as a game that only ran in 800x600?

I liked it back then but that was just :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I loved that game even though when I first played it (when it came out) my computer couldn't handle it at all so Kabuto parts and base building missions played at <10fps :v:

Didn't they try to kickstart a spiritual successor?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oh I didn't know Armed & Dangerous was by the same people. I meant this one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roguerocket/first-wonder

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

NOLF didn't get a rerelease because neither of the corporations who might own the IP were willing to pay someone to dig through their legal archives to figure out who was actually the rights holder.

Slightly depressing read here: http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

No company involved knows if they own the IP, can't be arsed to check, is not interested in any sort of deal that would re-release NOLF and figure out the IP situation, sent lawyer letters instead.

Oh potential free money? Nah gently caress off, we're busy with our CoDs etc.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 12, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

Oh it's on GOG? I hadn't noticed!

I played it back when it was released. It's mostly a point and click adventure game, and there is some of the try clicking everything or using everything on everyone if you get stuck, but it was interesting and I definitely liked it. Especially the earlier parts of the game. It later gets a little repetitive.

The best part is the soundtrack and (for its time) the movement sequences in most of the environments and the cutscenes were impressive. Voice acting is ok and the puzzles are not that hard to figure out.
Yeah it was just added a week ago: https://www.gog.com/news/release_lost_eden

Back in the day we used to visit family friends who always had a new weird adventure game they were playing, including Lost Eden. Brings back memories whenever another one is showing up on GOG (or Steam, but mostly GOG because they're, well, old).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also because they want $10 for a game that's a million years old and was worth $1 in bargain bins in 1980.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hmm, Surreal Software. They did the Drakan games (one on PC, another for PS2), which were pretty fun. Too bad they're not on any download platform, I wonder who has that IP now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Huh, GOG had this feature for ages :confused:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Probably the latter, I think it was "like" or something on the old website but has been called wishlist since then IIRC.

The Kins posted:

Oh? I could have swore it wasn't there last time I wanted it.

Weird. Shows how smart I am, then. :shrug:

Oh I was merely confused they sent out a promo mail about it, not trying to question your intelligence ;)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Cool, but this actually means I need to cull my wishlist until then. Don't want anything I'm not sure I really want.

The wishlist has been around a long time but I haven't seen the feature to share it with a link before, so that's good.

Also, SOMA is 75% off right now.

Oh yes I should probably do that too :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

Firewatch is pointless, just watch a YouTube stream

Was waiting for one of those :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sackmo posted:

I still keep hoping they bring back the old shelf view for your games. I never did understand how they thought the new grid/list was an improvement. So much ugly, wasted space. :(

Yeah I miss the old view too. The new shelf is garbage and the list view is also pointless. And neither lets me display all my games at once like before, nor customize how many games I want to see per page and the filtering is useless. 1A+++ would buy website redesign again.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

yeah, gibbed has already gone in, kicked the hood up and just put it back down after seeing the gigantic, mountainous, randomly ordered and unlabeled mess of assets

Is there a story on that somewhere? I remember playing it and getting super annoyed by some of these design choices and saw that he had some basic tools on his website, which made me wonder why no one did anything more.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Couldn't Gog announce they will be selling NOLF or whatever because of its limbo status? I bet that would get potential copyright holders off their assess in a hurry to figure out the ownership.

That was Night Dive's plan, actually. File trademark, see who contests it claiming to own it, make a deal with them. Except it's like three different companies who think they might potentially have ownership, but couldn't be assed figuring this out and doing a licensing deal, but obviously reserved legal action anyway in case Night Dive went ahead with selling NOLF based on the trademark they filed. Sure you could pursue something like this and go to court in order to figure out who really owns the IP, but that's costly and you can't count on the IP owner to sell the game again or make a licensing deal any more than they did before.

That said, the original Night Dive NOLF story was years ago, there were newer rumours last summer and maybe not all is lost :ohdear:

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 10, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've played NOLF recently and other than some technical issues (fixed by INI editing and in my case capping the framerate to 60 fps in RTSS to get rid of random mouse lag) they played fine?

NOLF looks a bit more dated but the slightly cartoony look helps get over the relatively simple geometry and lower res textures. NOLF2 looks pretty good for its age. There were no gameplay issues I encountered that made me think "bleh, games today do this so much better".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you want any of the Telltale games on GOG you have until the weekend, GOG will delist them on Monday. No discounts, as far as I know.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The argument was: Guy With Gun covers inherently sell better.

That’s not true. Games without Guy With Gun covers have mass appeal also.

As for why NOT a Guy With A Gun: I explained the diverse nature of the setting, the characters and the fact you can make your own character. Nobody would make this bland mook.

As for why it matters, not really except for the fact it’s a continuation of pretty toxic game industry trope that shuns diversity because ‘only Guy With Gun covers sell well’ which, again, is untrue.

Also, nobody gives a poo poo if Doom or Call Of Duty has such a cover. It’s almost (but not really) a necessity in those cases. From what I’ve seen, this game is about freedom, modification, and options.

The cover is lazy as gently caress and maybe indicative of something. It’s okay to say that. It’s also okay to have a discussion about it instead of going, “it doesn’t matter’.

I have bad news for you.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I would really like to have a digital source for Rise of Legends, I liked that game a lot but outside of :filez: it doesn't exist.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dungeon Siege games too (I liked DS3 :colbert:)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ErrEff posted:

I never bothered to check Cyberpunk's price on GOG until now. $72.93, which appears to be a conversion of the €59.99 price tag.

Why is GOG doing regional pricing for a game they're self-publishing? The explanation on the Fair Price Package support article is this:

I know they discontinued their fair pricing plan last year, but... they are the publisher. Why do I see a $70.99 price when I'm logged out and a $72.93 one when I'm logged in? Super weird.

Meanwhile, Steam is $59.99.
In my local currency the game is $69.99 (same as on Steam) but if I switch to actual USD it's $78.39 and in EUR it's 64.69 (about $74.39) :iiam:

I think they're doing some weird currency conversions off the local "pretty" price, yeah. The discrepancy of ~$2 is odd unless they're charging you tax (?) once logged in, or they don't detect your computer (for the website price) in the same country your account is using.

IMO it's funny enough the European game is just straight $10 more expensive in Europe, even funnier that also applies to the publisher self-publishing the game on its own digital platform. Local prices on Steam have actually gotten fairer for me for a lot of stuff since they stopped charging us in EUR, but certain publishers like Take2 or Ubisoft are heavily abusing regional pricing on Steam and it's almost never worth it to buy from Steam directly. With GOG it's even worse, I don't know if publishers intentionally give them lovely conditions but I haven't bought a game without heavy discounts on GOG since they ditched the fair pricing stuff.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can understand* people's frustrations with some of the crippled GOG releases TBH because sometimes you have no way of knowing how much a missing feature is changing the experience. Hitman is just a very egregious example.

Like some devs/publishers are just crappy and just dump inferior versions on GOG which are several builds old and/or never receive patches even if they're kind of critical.

Other times all you're missing is a multiplayer mode no one plays (like reboot Tomb Raider, it even says so when you buy it). So yeah you pretty much have to research every single cross-platform release if you don't want to get a bad surprise.

*) Not enough to make a list and curate it but still. :laffo: at "people should save the world instead!".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Really? I never not had Logitech devices and drivers and I never had any issues with those games :shrug:

My main problem playing NOLF on a modern machine was the framerate making it impossible to aim because mouse aim was slowing down and speeding up randomly, I had to cap my fps to 60 but apparently there's even a tool for that now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ooh yay Scrapland. The disc version was released with StarForce in Europe which made it not run on my machine back then. I think I downloaded a :filez: version without that crap, but lost it since.

I remember really enjoying the game even though IIRC reviews were mixed at release.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Scrapland is, if memory serves, a game that McGee's name was slapped on rather than one he was actively involved in.
He was a producer at the US publisher of the game, so yeah his name on it is just marketing (which is wild to me because with Alice he only made one game with his name on it before).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah but the "American McGee by American McGee" stuff was always odd to me because he never seemed to be a rockstar developer on that level, even after Alice (I remember people making fun of basically every game that had his name on it like that).

Not on a level with "John Romero's about to make you his bitch." though:

:laffo:

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 14, 2021

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was just thinking of the Wheel of Time game recently and ta da, it's now on GOG :woop:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Don't know any GOG specific ones but I just use IsThereAnyDeal for either, it tracks GOG prices and you can set games on the waitlist to only notify when they're on sale on specific stores. For your purpose you could eg. track Steam-activated games through SteamDB and set ITAD notifications for GOG.com only.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is that the sort of sale that had, uh, Jack Keane (?) up for ages, relatively, because no one bought that even discounted?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
2013 :laffo: :ohdear:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
BGDA2 is $30 again :suicide:

I'm still going to buy it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
GOG is having a WB sale and the 2nd Mordor game is available now, too (yes the one with the lootbox endgame in the original release).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm realising I've gotten a lot worse at AP gameplay after the years of playing polished sneak and shoot games, but it's still fun and the talk parts still stand out.

Playing "recruit who is very sure of himself" never gets old.