Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

If it dips into the 50s mine gets sluggish. I doubt I could start it in freezing weather.

I recently bought one and it wouldn't start in ~20 degree weather without some starter fluid but that turned out to be the PO putting in way too much fuel stabilizer. With a new tank of gas it starts fine, but needs maybe 20 minutes of choke or else it dies. But it has an aftermarket carb on it so that may help a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Akion posted:

So a buddies DRZ400SM got stolen last night like, 10 blocks from where mine is currently parked on the street. :ohdear:

I need to go buy a disc lock.

So I also had a DRZ stolen which was sad and after reading lots of internet and talking to the cops (who were not helpful) and various other folks (who were also not helpful - "It's a DRZ, you never really own it, you're just borrowing it until someone steals it."), here's my advice: get comprehensive insurance, and also, disc lock on the rear wheel, chain it to something if you can and, most importantly, cover it so the lazy/opportunistic thieves just see a covered bike.

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 10, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yeah, that's really the best advice.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ought ten posted:

I hope you can. A disc lock is good but doesn't mean too much on a bike a couple guys can easily lift into a truck.

Yeah, that's why you just cover it up. You're not going to really do anything to stop a committed thief, whether they're tossing it in a truck or riding it away. So you make it a little harder by making them at least peak under the cover first to see if they want to steal it and then to take off your disc lock when they're actually stealing it. And then if it gets stolen at least you've done what you can.

I've also heard good things about this http://shop.trackimo.com/products/trackimo-gps-tracker-1-year-pack-and-12-volt-mini-usb-adapter but it's a (relatively small I guess?) drain on the battery while the bike is off.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

What do you consider long distance?

I used to commute 26 miles each way on my DRZ and it was fine, I also do 250 miles round trip sojourns to the mountains and it's ok if you put in some breaks here and there.

It's not anyone's definition of comfortable but the stories are largely exaggerated about how terrible the seat is.

Until you get used to it and loosen up more the vibes will make your hands feel like quarters in a jar

Mayyyybe you're not the best judge of comfort.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Partial Octopus posted:

Can someone give me a basic rundown on how to set up stock suspension the drz400sm? I'm going to my first track day with the bike soon and I have no idea how it should be set, or how to set it.

Just look at a dirt bike suspension video. There are probably some that are just for DRZs. When in doubt, middle settings for everything.

You'll need some kind of center stand/milk crate/log.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Can you really put a price on style though?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

OUTLAW COUNTRY!
Ignore the phone camera. I kept this phone because it survived my 70mph down a couple years back, and the only damage was to the glass over the back camera. I figure it deserves to be used, and besides I can't find a compact smartphone like the N4 (which is already too big).

I am a person who hates being in nature in the rain. I've earned my stripes doing it, I just avoid it now. I also hate riding in the rain, and will just take the car. Then I got a proper one piece suit and a sumo, and all I want to do when it rains is go play like I'm five years old. Today I took the wrx to the park since it was raining and nobody would be there. Despite thinking I'd be unable to ride in the big gravel lot because of the wet, I actually had no problems. After 20 minutes of sliding around, bombing through puddles and mud, I stopped in front of this imposing gate:

I've been shut out by this gate for years. Never thought to go past it because it's a gate and that's that. In fact, I never took a bike down to this gravel lot because I didn't want to risk a drop. Now I have a sumo and the world is changed forever.
Went past the gate by that little bit to the right there and ended up here. Pretty sure I'm not allowed to be here. Pretty sure there were no witnesses to care.

The road ended there, but I decided to go down that grassy bit you see beyond the yellow posts, to see the stream down that hill. When I was down there, I had a perspective to see this to my left :aaaaa:

Bear in mind, I've never really done anything off road before today. And definitely nothing in the mud/wet/slick. I didn't even like riding on wet pavement with proper tires. But it's a sumo so I didn't think twice. Slipped and slid all the way to this cool spot. I wish I had knobbies, because a hill stopped me from going further.

But I walked up the hill to see a lake I had no idea was even there all this time.

I did a bunch of slip sliding hooning after that, including going up a muddy hill, tail sliding all over, feathering the clutch like a boss, and ending up with the bike and myself covered in mud.

I cannot even begin to describe what a revelation all this is, or even fully grasp it myself. Somehow the sumo reality is better than the sumo fantasy. :aaaaa:

1. This is a good post.
2. Wait until you get knobbies.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Day Man posted:

Too late, sorry! This thing is a ton of fun to ride around on. Feels completely different from my sv1000. Can't wait to try out some trail riding! I ripped down one gravel road so far, and it felt really confidence inspiring. I can see why you guys/gals love these things!

Knobbies are the best and look the coolest too.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Spiffness posted:

DO IT x1000

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Buy the Husky you don't need money when you're dead from bad wheelies

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Trials bikes have no seats at all.

Sports bikes have less of a seat because of the seating position. To have a bucket seat it would need to either be custom built or adjustable and either way it would pin you in place so you couldn't get a knee down like the best racer of his generation, Andrea Iannone. You also don't put weight on your butt so it's not like it'd be more comfortable. Why don't they have a custom ball cup? Same iissue with sliding from side to side to get a knee down I assume. Plus the one size fits all problem. But a flat seat let's you easily slide from side to side while still providing a platform to support your body.

Fwiw, you often want to stand up on dirt bikes and then it really is just gripping the tank with your knees, feet on the foot pegs and hands on the handlebars that keep you on the bike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

My WR is up for sale. Am I asking to much? These bikes seem to be rare in my area, so I think I can get $3000 out of it.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5796117129.html

"The bike possibly needs a valve adjustment" + mileage are the things that would give buyers pause, I think.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Christ, they're still about 5k here in lovely socal.

Same in NY

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

High Protein posted:

Husqvarna 701 is getting the Duke V engine for 2017: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/september/husqvarna-701-gets-updated-engine-for-2017/

Sucks for people who bought the 2016 model I guess. No news on the 690 SMC.

Is it heavier? :ohdear:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Kim Jong ill posted:

Backed it in like a proper retard last night... Riding through some hills roads and long story short I'm not sure how it happened but I went for an up shift, somehow ended up selecting down, let the clutch out and became intimately acquainted with the effects of severe engine breaking on rear wheel stability. Ended up sliding 5-10 m. Bike and myself aren't too bad, it dumped all its fuel (I assume through the vent) so I couldn't get it started and I've just got a sprained ankle (wearing full gear at the time). My uncle whos worked on his own bikes all his life is giving it a look over today, fingers crossed there shouldn't be any mechanical damage.

Absolutely rotten with myself for making such a dumb mistake, but I guess I should just be glad neither I or the bike are seriously damaged. Live and learn, all I can do.

Seems like your only mistake was going horizontal.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

beeman posted:

i've never ridden a motorcycle in my life, but i've spent way too much time looking at learner legal motorcycles (australian) online. i came across this today and it seems pretty cool to me, http://www.swmmotorcycles.com.au/sm-500-r/ i don't really know anything about the brand, but it looks fun. thoughts?

What's cheap in Australia? Don't buy a new bike because you'll be sad when you scratch it. Get a ninja 250 is the standard advice.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Of those three, I like this one. https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/mcy/5907772441.html

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Agreed. From the other thread:

:respek:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Guni posted:

Not sure specifically on the CRF's, but my 2016 KTM 350SXF (i.e. the race bike / motocross version, not the enduro version with all the lights and a slightly different gearbox) needs the oil changed every 10hours per the manual (although I do it every 5), a top end at 50hrs and a bottom end at 100hrs (so a full rebuild at 100hrs).

I'd expect the enduro version to go a bit longer and you MIGHT get 10,000km's out of it before a rebuild and I'd expect the oil to be done every 500-1000KM, if not sooner.

Do you race it? I ask because this guy https://youtu.be/SWHGzx14xi4 took apart his engine at 200h and it was fine. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-350-exc-dissection-transformation.1187553/ I know compression is higher on the SXs, but it seems like as long as you're not racing those motors are actually pretty solid.

E: piston specs from that guy on page two.

Kim Jong ill posted:

This is going to sound pretty dumb... I recently bought a DRZ400SM with a full Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust, I didn't confirm with the previous owner if it had been rejetted. Is there an easy way I can look at it to find out?

Is it not running well? If it's good, why worry?

builds character fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 28, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ought ten posted:

That's what you want, right?

Some pop on decel can actually be OK.
http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-13/deceleration-popping-explained-10/

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

robotsinmyhead posted:

It's increasingly likely that I'm selling my DRZ this season for something more suitable for my area. I love it, but something about the riding posture really aggravates my back, and everything fun around here is 30+mi away on the highway. Is there any reason I should just shoot for $4k firm on my bike, even with 10k mi? Try for more? I unfortunately lost the specs when I got the bike from the PO, but it's something like this:

Yoshi Exhaust (TRS Comp?)
UFO and Acerbis Plastics
Acerbis Cyclops Headlight
3x3 Mod
FCR 39 Carb
EBC front brake (320mm?)
Zeta brushguards w/integrated signals
Stainless steel brake lines
Seat Concepts low-profile seat
Twin Air filter
Clarke 3.9g (?) fuel tank
Unknown Make fender eliminator kit
Rear Pegs
Possibly has aftermarket wheels from a CBR, if that matters at all.

+ all removed parts

Local DRZsm's on Craigslist (both stock) are 4k miles and 300mi, $5000 and $5900 respectively, for reference.

Ask for 5, negotiate down to 4500 or 4.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Kim Jong ill posted:

Speaking of modding your bikes. Is there a cycle asylum general bike mechanics thread? I'm a mechanical engineer so really I should just be able to throw myself into this poo poo and work it out, but I'd prefer to have a bit of a resource for learning my way around working on the bike. Recommendations for other websites/wikis or books would be great too!

I like this book and found it quite helpful.
https://www.amazon.com/Four-Stroke-Engine-Building-Handbook/dp/0996491503

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Label Facing Right posted:

If he wasn't keeping his original supermoto rims we could. But alas......

Can you buy used rims on ebay or craigslist for cheaper?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yerok posted:

When I got my garbage XR200R like 70% of the spokes on the rear wheel were loose to the point of rattling. You don't even need all of them.

Yeah, only the ones that are holding the hub up.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

I just unloaded my truck after the 1st mini supermoto race weekend of the year

It rained from like 10pm saturday night until well into sunday night so the racing sunday afternoon was incredible. Huge ruts down into the clay, filled with water, making a clay slurry. It was insanity on two wheels. I kept trying to crush the table top but between dodging the ruts and potholes and the slippery clay making my rear wander all over the place , I could never manage much air.

Due to the weather, attendance was low, so the racing was shortened and classes consolidated. I only raced mini supermoto but I came in 2nd over all, first in my class out of 5 total. I was nipping at the heels of 1st, a KX85 bored to 103? or something along those lines, the whole race right through to the finish. If I had another lap or two I might have been able to stick a pass on him. I made a move on lap two but he got by me. I NEARLY got by him on the last lap coming out of the dirt but lost traction in the mess and he got back ahead on the inside turning back on to the pavement.

post video.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

I went away from the flask catch can to an RC airplane fuel tank ziptied to the swingarm. There just aren't a lot of good mounting points for catch cans on a dirt bike.

Here's a poorly uploaded video of the Novice main. I take the lead when the faster guys take the first corner too hot, but I start getting passed at 2 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5ZoaCBsPg

This is good. How'd you feel about how you did/thoughts on the race?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

I know better (I'd prefer to actually ride vs. loving with cooked starters and the other typical RXV/SXV bullshit), but for $3600 this is pretty goddamned tempting:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6154612685.html

Don't buy it. From the reading I've done, you really want one that's had the engine gone over by some RXV guru and, more importantly, has the new head gasket.

My number for one of those is 2k. I doubt I'll see it in time for them to not be all rusted pieces of junk or collectors items, but at that price I could justify everything to myself.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

haven't heard anything about new head gaskets - the 07s had issues with bad sealant if that's what you're talking about, but that particular issue was fixed 08 and up (look for a motor with black sealant, not orange). They have other problems though, namely starters going bad/getting cooked, and it looks like this dude's already run into the issue at least once since the ad lists a new starter and sprag assembly.

The starters are so bad that Aprilia won't warranty the part - even if you order a brand new one and it shows up DOA, you can't return it for a refund. People have taken to buying WR450 starters and swapping the Aprilia end caps onto them

So, when's your wr450 starter arriving?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

How is that even a thing, or remotely acceptable?

It's so loving fast.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

My supermoto decided to poo poo the bed(head gasket issue maybe), so I ended up shooting video at 240 fps instead. Click the gif for the hq version.

These are excellent.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Akion posted:

I've finally gotten over the heartbreak of my DRZ being stolen in 2015 and may be buying a WR250X this weekend.

2008, 1k miles, fender eliminator and hand guards but otherwise stock. $4k USD.

Buying the biggest fuckoff chain I can find and a claymore mine to go with it.

Always use a cover.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Akion posted:

Yeah. I'm shopping covers, chains, and disc locks. What's the conventional wisdom on disc locks re:Alarms? Is it going to go off all the time and annoy my neighbors? I have a tree out front I'm intending to chain it to.

In my mind, there are two kinds of thieves. The serious ones and the theft of opportunity. They'll deter the latter (but so will a cover). The former (hi NYC) will come and poke your bike a couple times and see if you do anything when the alarm goes off. If you don't, then they'll just steal it. If you come running, then they poke it until you stop coming running. Then they steal it.

Anyway, can't hurt. If it goes off all the time, take it off.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gullous posted:

I'm gonna sell my 690 soon, it's crazy how much sellers are asking for (Seattle as well). I saw a '15 in BC at 9k (with extra gear), even first gens are in the 5-6k territory.

690 was great as an only bike, but if I had to do it over again I'd prefer to sacrifice highway comfort for weight etc; WR450 or 450/500 EXC.

If you’re not racing or riding single track, 500 exc. I bet you could get a decent used ‘13-16 for 5-6k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

epalm posted:

My 2011 DRZ-400SM is about to sit for a 3rd winter.
  • Hasn't been used since just before last last winter, about October 2016
  • Won't be used until spring, say April 2019, so that's 30 months of inactivity
  • It's got a full tank with stabilizer
  • The battery died a while ago (forgot to trickle charge)
  • It's in a small non-temp-controlled shed in the backyard, under a cover
  • I live in Canada, temps can drop to -30 C (-22 F) over the winter
In light of these facts,
  • Anything I should do before letting it sit this winter?
  • Is it worth draining fluids?
  • Are there any rubber hoses in particular I should replace, after multiple freeze/thaw cycles?
  • Should I take it around the block a few times before it gets too cold, just to get things moving?
  • Is the gas almost certainly bad and needs to be replaced before starting up the motor?
I'm selling my other bike come spring, so I'll be back to hooning on the DRZ and I can't wait.

It’s a DRZ so no.

But... if you want to be good to it, change the oil, fresh tank of gas + some sea foam, ride it until that tank is basically out and then put it away good and hot with another full tank of gas with stabile in it. Take the battery out and keep it inside over the winter.

• Locked thread