Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

mixitwithblop posted:

Can't find the futsal sized nets in the USA... but Amazon.co.uk will ship a pair for $240 usd total. Not too shabby. They're the cheapest fifa futsal sized light weight portable nets I've been able to find so far.

I got bored one summer and made some FIFA reg. Futsal nets out of PVC pipe and netting. Think I spent $30, with most of that money going towards the net (Forced to get a full sized net and trim it down). I sketched mine out, but there's probably a guide to building better goals on one of those DIY sites if you want a step-by-step.

Frankly, all the cheaper goals out there for Futsal are glorified camping tents with nets. But I'll admit it was like a full weekend I devoted to building mine. I definitely didn't value my time back then as much as I do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Well, the most important thing is fulfilling what's expected of you in your position. Are you expected to distribute the ball (Therefore sticking closer to the sidelines, doing overlaps, getting to the byline, crossing, getting back and defending) or are you expected to get goals (Stay forward, cut in, find gaps in the defense to make runs)?

You can do both, but you're doing the work of multiple players at that point.

Other than that, it's all about looking at what you're up against. The usual stuff like finding the space between their midfield/defense/goal, then exploiting it. Examples:

-If they play a high line and you know you're faster than they are, stay on their shoulder and just be ready for long balls. With so much space between their defense and goal, you're going to be going one-on-one with the keeper all day long.
-If they player a deeper line, that's more space that their midfield has to cover (Assuming their team isn't playing like Greece circa 2004), so there's more likely going to be holes between defense and midfield. Especially on the wings or at the top of the box, great places to draw defenders out and give people avenues to run through.
-If their fullbacks think they're Dani Alves, that means you're either going to be forced to defend more or you'll be able to exploit the fact that they only have 3 defenders back covering. It's usually better to exploit that trick later in the game, since their fullbacks will more than likely be too tired from the marathon they just got done running.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Do you plan on playing outdoor as well? Smaller pitches in indoor obviously lend themselves to faster play and shorter passes. You'll have a lot more ground to cover if you plan on playing outdoor.

The two biggest problems wing backs face are:

1.) Going too far forward too often and not tracking back. You can tire out quickly if you're bombing forward constantly and wingers/forwards will take advantage of the space you give them. You shouldn't go forward if the ball is on the opposite sideline and that left wing back is already going forward. You need to be back there with your central defenders in case poo poo goes south.
2.) Chasing every winger who thinks they're Ashley Young. When you get suckered out towards the sideline, you leave a huge gap between you and the closest central defender. You can hope your midfielder tracks back and covers that space to prevent runs or you can play it cool and keep a tight defensive line. Usually that midfielder friend of yours is too slow and someone on the other team will always take advantage of that. Most wingers will cut in and run at you if you give them that opportunity. Let 'em. You can stand your ground and you know you got your central defenders nearby in case you cock it up.

Other than that, get used to overlapping and crossing. It's your bread an butter.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
As a fullback: Running and Crossing. And Crossing while Running.

As far as defensive stuff, the only thing you can really do by yourself is watch defenders playing. Footwork stuff, anything that forces you to quickly change direction, is good too. But that's really good for everyone, not specifically defenders.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Ankle braces blow. You either get the firm ones with plastics bits that restrict movement too much (which are honestly meant more for basketball players) or you get the softer ones that are like wearing a tight sock. Both only provide a false sense of security and inevitable frustration.

It's been a long time since your injury, so the only thing I can recommend is to just keep focusing on improving that ankle in the gym. Single leg work is great, but include stuff like plyometrics. I still have lingering ankle pain after two serious injuries. Joint injuries are the worst.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

slow hands posted:

Ankle Injury Guy

I almost forgot one of the others things I did. Balance plays the biggest role in getting confidence back. On rest days, I would balance on my injured ankle with my eyes closed. After awhile I started balancing on said ankle while throwing a tennis ball against a wall and catching it.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The lovely thing is that you're in a position where you either run everywhere to find/create space or you deal with the limited space you have. It's all dependent on what your coach/manager wants, but going deep and building from the center circle is how you draw defenders out and make space for yourself up the pitch. But, if your coach/manager is saying he wants you staying forward more, then it's about making opposition defenders think that someone else is marking you. When one of those defensive midfielders steps towards another player (usually the one with the ball), you're behind him far enough where you would feel comfortable getting the ball but close enough to make the other midfielder/CB think that you're marked.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Whatever you enjoy doing other than football. Anything associated with football is just going to remind you of the turdburglars you just played. I had one friend who bought one of those lovely standing punching busts (the one with the robot face and lights that show you where to punch for "a good workout") and he liked to use it after just any really physical game, whether the other team were jerks or not. Me, personally, I just want to zone out and forget about everything even if it's just a normal loss, so I'll usually do netflix.

Here's some schadenfreude to maybe help a bit. A couple months back, playing some indoor, we lost like 12-4 to a team that literally celebrated every goal like it a was a cup final. Once they got 4 goals up on us, they started busting out the "tekkerz." Was embarrassing.

A couple weeks ago I had a guy refuse to shake my hand, no joke, because I was "mean," and made a point to shake the hand of every other team mate except one other player (who was also called "not very nice"). I have never seen a grown man act so bitchy in my entire life.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Watch some Pepe highlight reels, do some push ups, drink some milk, get mad.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
That person sounds like a literal child. I coached 8 year olds that sound more mature.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Ankle injuries can vary a lot. It really depends on severity, how active you are after the injury, and what you do for rehab. If you haven't already, just go see a doctor.

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Left ones are what I was calling cleats, right ones are ok on astro turf (but actually both are called cleats as I have just learned).

Studs and Blades. gently caress studs. Had someone break my toe using studs.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
If this guy has even the remotest chance of seriously injuring someone, tell him straight to his face that he's not welcome. Who can really miss work because of weekly pick up? It's pretty courteous to talk to the friend first about it, as maybe he can handle the situation in a tactful manner, but whatever. The guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Shrapnac posted:

Those leagues are so much more dangerous than the organized leagues I've played in where the people on the field have actually played the game for an extended period of their lives.

Some of the former collegiate and semi-pro players around here still play very physically. I wouldn't play without ankle guards. Especially after recovering from a nasty ankle injury.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Shrapnac posted:

I still maintain you're less likely to get an anklebreaker from one of those guys then you are the 40 pound overweight soccer dad. Honestly all shinpads give you are the illusion of safety, they don't protect enough to really be of much use.

At this point I'm used to having bruises around my shins and ankles all the time, it's inevitable.

I don't know. Anecdotally, I've only run into maybe 3 players that really fit that description (excluding age) in the less competitive leagues I've played in. The more competitive ones feel like they are more physical because the players expect us to be more technical and fast. It also feels like because the level of skill is in more parity and games are closer that the physicality increases. Maybe it's a regional thing. Or maybe the more talented players where I live are just bitter that they didn't make it. I'm definitely more cautious in those leagues, though.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
They might provide some stability. But I definitely use them with the expectation that they're at least softening up the small impacts and lessening wear/tear on my ankles.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I never saw a difference between leather and synthetic. Some shoes are just made in a lovely manner, regardless of the materials used. My favorite shoes have been my old reebok SprintFit Pros which I've had since like 2006 or 2007.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Playing with contacts is frustrating. I wish I were rich enough to afford laser eye surgery.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I hosed up my ankle again, after more than a year without any real problems. I want to kill myself.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think if you find a lower league team with a practice squad, that'd be way better than just doing anything by yourself or with one guy price gouging you. It's difficult to find a club like that, though, because most of them don't like putting even their reserves against a bunch of cloggers that could injure someone. Stanway used to have one before they changed managers.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Focus on where you are planting your foot and the rest is just instinct/momentum.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Akbar posted:

So I've just been diagnosed with tendinitis in my foot/lower leg. Soccer season starts tomorrow and I'm signed up for 3-4 matches per week. Does anyone have experience dealing with tendinitis and could give me some tips on match prep/recovery?

Well poo poo isn't going to get any better if you're playing 3-4 times a week. That's for sure.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I knew keepers who always used to tape their fingers. I don't know how useful that is, though.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Turf shoes just have a bit more traction and ridges. I like them for any indoor surface that has depth.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Thirteenth Step posted:

\- what pre match food / supps do you take
- what warm ups do you do?

Banana and bagel. Sometimes I used to hit up a sandwich place and get a wholegrain with turkey, spinach, and tomatoes. Warmups are usually easy plyos and some crosses.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I always enjoyed the terrible gimmicks some manufacturers put into their boots. Like the Concave helping you shoot with more power or those Lotto shoes with the rotating stud that helped pivoting/turning. These guys come up with the dumbest poo poo and yet they still make a profit.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

lol sweepers is such an unnecessary part of tactics in America it's hilarious. Our team is one of only like 2 in our division that do not employ a sweeper and just uses a back four.

Sweepers were a south/central american thing that just spread. I blame mexico more than anybody.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The indoor place I used to go to had a rule where girl goals were worth two. Depending on where you are, there are funky coed rules. It just how some of those leagues work.

Shrapnig posted:

Don't play co-ed. Problem solved.

Coed can be fun as hell. It's a great way to meet girls.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Going into a high tempo 7v7 or 5 a side for someone who has played 2 weeks will be...interesting. Nothing wrong with the 11 imo - more space, more time.

Trial by fire, man. It really does force the mechanics and the understanding of how the game is played. Plus, you're way more likely to get touches on the ball so you can feel comfortable in possession in a game environment. But playing is playing, so any game time is a good time.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
7v7 you'll get exposed if you don't have people hanging back. The fields are usually slightly bigger so it's good and convenient to have a reliable back pass. 5s I could understand everyone joining in, but you still need defensive people or you're just getting countered all day.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Or just hold onto the ball for, like, more than a couple seconds.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
If you're playing in casual games, play different positions and rotate. If it's somewhat competitive, then you shouldn't be playing in forward positions if you're not comfortable with the ball at your feet.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Brony Car posted:

Indoor shoes have treads like that now? Neat. Are they good for games played in wooden floor basketball courts?

Almost all indoor facilities in the US are turf or artificial grass. Futsal just doesn't exist here. So shoe companies just market turf as indoor.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Geno posted:

no line judges either.

There is literally no point in doing a trap then. Your best player is an idiot.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

who itt got furthest in the profession of football?

I'm poo poo.

Reserve team for a semi-pro club in the Eastern Counties. PDL in he US and participated in some combines for MLS/NASL/NPSL.

So also poo poo.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

quote:

Good morning gentlemen,

I'm assuming that when this is read, you'll all be waking up, hence the greeting.

I hope we all had a good time tonight. I certainly did. We have a very talented team. We're most likely going to win out the season, and if not, we'll buck up and win the tournament at the end of the season. We're really that good.

But it's time that I introduce you all to a very important rule, which if we don't follow will cause us the season. It's called the five-week rule.

You'll notice that only the men of [team name] are receiving this email. It's because this rule only applies to you. I know, it's sexist. It's not fair. But it's the way it is.

Winning on the kickball field is based on three things. How well the men play, how well the women play, and if the women show up. Literally, leagues are won and lost on whether or not enough women show up towards the end of the season. Everyone thinks kickball is a great game, they all want to play, then towards the end of the season, attendance tapers off, and you're begging and pleading for people to show up to fill out the team, and it doesn't happen, and you forfeit, and you're pissed, and it sucks. SUCKS.

The main reason for this, is screwing. No joke, you bang some chick, she's ashamed, maybe you sucked at it (none of us, obviously) and she doesn't want to see you, therefore she doesn't show up again.

So, this rule has been created, not to hinder us, but to help the team. Think of it as an extended challenge. The slow roll. The long con.

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO gently caress ANYONE ON THE TEAM UNTIL AFTER WEEK FIVE.

Is that clear enough? I can say it again if necessary, but I think it was pretty clear.

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO gently caress ANYONE ON THE TEAM UNTIL AFTER WEEK FIVE.

There, I said it again anyway.

Failure to adhere to this rule will result in your exclusion from the lineup, public hatred and disdain, death, dismemberment, ball-kicking (not kickballs), and, on the good side, getting laid. I don't think the latter is worth the former.

Please be a team player, wait a few weeks. If you're that good, it won't matter anyway. Don't break up the team because of your dick.

Thanks,

-H

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's either rehab now and do it right or rehab later after you're forced to get another surgery.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I'm pretty sure you are over training. A 5x5 routine is pretty taxing on your muscles, especially if you haven't been doing it long. You should probably cut down on the weight program. Maybe go to 3x5 on the main lifts and cut out some of the extraneous crap.

Yup. To further elaborate, your body needs time to recover and you're not giving it any. The real unfortunate part is that you need to take maybe a week off if you want to get back to a healthy state before working out again.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I underwent physical therapy for my chronic ankle problems and it makes a world of difference. Definitely don't throw in the towel, Chas.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think Ewar's talking about the hardwood or similar hard surface courts that a lot of futsal is played on. Just like basketball, it is hell on your joints just because of the constant impact on a hard surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think if you're going to ground that much, you got other issues.