Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Didn't there used to be a software recommendations thread?

Anyway, can someone recommend a file finding program please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Has anyone used Boxifier?

I just need to be able to sync folders/files from a network drive. You can't even locate dropbox on a network drive ordinarily, there are some work arounds to this I've found but I think the reason Dropbox won't let you move it to a network drive is because It won't sync changes properly and I don't know if these workarounds fix this problem.

I'm happy to pay for something if it works, I want to be able to sync specific folders on the work network with my laptop, others in the office will also be using the files.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Can anyone recommend a full-disk backup software to an external hard drive?

VVV thanks!

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 21, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is there such a thing as a replacement start bar, or other app switcher?
The problem is a Citrix remote desktop thing that doesn't have one. You can minimise apps but then they just go to the bottom of the screen like it's Windows 3.1.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm guessing Citrix is doing just that, so there's no start bar. I want a program I can run that displays a list of running programs/windows.
I can put in a screenshot of my Citrix desktop but it's just going to be a big black window.

Edit: I found a AHK script that builds a custom alt-tab replacement on the fly, pretty good for remote desktops and Citrix: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35971452/what-is-the-right-way-to-send-alt-tab-in-ahk
I changed the bind to Alt+F1 which is not intercepted by Citrix.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 22, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is there a software that will tell you the state of things that may be USB-C PD charging off your laptop?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Voltage and amperage would be nice so that I know things are actually charging at the rate they're supposed to.
But I just worked out that this USB-PD power bank won't charge off a laptop (or even a TB3 dock) so the point is a bit moot unless it can actually "kick" devices into working...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

However this does not actually install the update until you start the computer.

I wish they had "Update and Restart and Shutdown" as an option.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Just pretend to be a drone operator.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Does anyone know of a tool to diagnose TB3 link speeds?
The only way I can find it to run a memory benchmark on a eGPU, which I don't have.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

LiterallyAnything posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where I can get an .iso of SQL Server 2008 R2? I have a license, but for the life of me I can't find the aqctual media ANYWHERE.

Anyone with MSDN can download it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

For gently caress's sake!
Thanks Windows Update for automatically installing a toolbar without asking like some drive-by piece of poo poo.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

About a week ago, my computer decided it didn't want to go to sleep overnight. But not in the usual way!

When I put it to sleep in the evening, the lights and fans stay on a lot longer than normal but eventually it just turns off completely.
It's completely off, I have to start it by pressing the power button.

When I put it to sleep during the day (typically around 0700 when I go to work) it goes to sleep properly.
When I get home from work it wakes up fine.

I can't see anything obvious in the event log apart from the improper shutdown detected.
Is there any way to troubleshoot this?

I've tried Windows update, including optional drivers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I had all sorts of random sleep problems with my install recently and now they thankfully seem to have stopped.
Windows sleep is garbage.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

Completely off topic, so will be brief: Cleaned room/closet, found over 150 software CDs, old game CDs, and a bunch of cdrw of .mp3s (from Napster). Among this, I found a VB6 non-pirated collection I used to make a BattleTech ProtoMech builder small enough to fit on a 1.44” floppy if zipped. Would it be possible to run it on a Win10 Pro/Win11 Pro without a lot of trouble? VB6 is the only language I am solid on, although I have a tiny bit of proficiency w/C & C++ for waaaaay old genetics-type scientific software. If there is an easier language (C#?) to learn for a hobby (so Free!), and dip my toes into UE4/5, any recommendations?
Appreciate comments or flames 🔥 :allears:

Self-contained WinForms apps made in VB6 should run fine in Win10/11.

You can download either Visual Studio or VS Code for free and build basic C# / .NET apps.
Visual Studio Community has a forms designer which is basically exactly the same as VB6 for making toy apps with.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I've had this too. Usually it's like creating or renaming a folder inside an Open File dialog so I blame myself but that's not quite right.

Try clearing your file explorer history in options -> privacy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Important caveat: Powershell and command prompt, both of which I've found potential answers for, are both administrator locked and IT will not relent. External software can get approved as needed but no guarantee it will be, and there's quite a backlog on getting any response from them.

Do you get the stupid "command prompt has been disabled by your administrator" thing?

If so you can take a copy of cmd.exe and make it ignore that reg key.

certutil -encodehex -f cmd.exe bytes.txt 12

Open bytes.txt and find 50006F006C00690063006900650073

Change the starting 50 to 42 and save the file.

certutil -decodehex -f bytes.txt MagicCmd.exe 12

Run MagicCmd whenever you need a command prompt.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

101 posted:

and you can set tabs to be closed if they haven't been viewed in a day, a week, or a month

or even your year.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I have a Logitech M337 which is a bit hard to middle-click without scrolling the wheel down a bit.
There is one of those buttons under the wheel that does a Win+Tab.
Is there a good way to remap this to middle-click? Can AHK do that? (I already have a AHK script running to make numlock bring up SpeedCrunch.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Klyith posted:

The normal way to do it would be logitech options software to remap the buttons. That mouse doesn't have onboard memory though, so you'd have to keep the logi software on all the time.

Thanks for this, the mouse just sends a literal Alt+Tab so I'll try Options for now and see whether it's unpleasant to have installed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

WinMerge is competent if basic.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Klyith posted:

ctrl+alt+esc is kinda an inverse alt-tab. deactivate current window & send it below all other windows, activate window that was previously lowest.

dunno when that would be useful but it's there!

I think it's the same as just Alt+Esc.

It's useful if you have maxmised windows to "deactivate".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DirectStorage is already 11 exclusive so when we see some games that actually load fast hit the PC that will be a more compelling reason to upgrade.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

One of the only real benefits to buying Teams-certified headsets when we were going all-in on MS Teams has been that Teams will default to a certified audio device if one is connected, and the end user doesn't have to do anything. So we just send out headsets, people plug them in, and the next time they make a Teams call it's happening over that. They cost exactly the same as the non-Teams models, at least in the case of the Polycom stuff we've been using.

Hah, I actually thought it was looking for audio devices called "Headset".

(One other benefit is that device mute button mostly will sync with Teams software mute state.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I think 3uTools can.

And I seem to recall something called iFunBox that could?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Are there any current password managers without 2FA (TOTP) support?

Firefox and iCloud don't have it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FunOne posted:

This might be the wildly wrong thread to ask, but is there a good way to archive files up to Azure?

We use Azure blob storage for backup, but those are usually big individual files. I'd like to upload an entire directory tree with the individual files left alone so people can access/browse them later if we need them, but still have them move to archive storage costs.

I only have Azure Storage Explorer and command line options, I cannot seem to get the file-store setup to work since we don't use AD attached devices and I'm not doing the whole VPN into Azure thing required to make all that work apparently.

When you say "I cannot seem to get the file-store setup to work" are you talking about Azure Files? Because that is probably what you want.
I don't see anything about requiring AAD in there but I could be wrong.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Being a T series I bet if you reinstall Windows from scratch it will automatically activate an OEM Pro key.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

This is a pretty bad solution, but run the Desktop app purely for sound notifications and mute the browser.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Medullah posted:

Though if you don't have any larger USB drives you may want to consider getting one for backup purposes if you're not backing up another way. I'm saying that as someone that lost 5 years of pictures early on because I didn't have any type of backup strategy.

Hughmoris posted:

Yeesh. You weren't lying about the transfer speeds. Both laptop and desktop are wired, averaging 10 MB/s transfer.

Thankfully this isn't time critical, and I'll definitely pick up a USB stick next time I'm out.

Gigabit ethernet is going to be faster than any cheap USB stick.

Even a medium-price USB3 stick I have is just barely faster than GigE and then you have to copy it off after. (Admittedly its read speeds are much better than its write.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Thinkpads should all be Pro, IdeaPad is the consumer brand. If Lenovo have started putting out consumer ThinkPads then :argh:

ThinkPads have come in many series for quite a while now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah, I moved it back to the left corner because 25 years of muscle memory says the bottom left is where the start menu is. I could have gotten used to the center if it didn't move every time I opened a new app.

I don't really care where the Start menu is and I could probably get used to centrist icons, but as a professional computer toucher I don't think I could ever live without un-collapsed entries without labels.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

An on-premises installation of Atlassian Jira would probably work. Microsoft Forms would be very good at this if on-premises is at all negotiable. You're right that you could build this in SharePoint, too.

I don't think you can buy Jira on-prem anymore and even if you still can it's going to be out of support soon.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DPC Latency, there's a few tools that will monitor it.
It's hard to get a smoking gun for it though. Lots of loving around with drivers until the problem stops happening.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Could also be Microsoft Passport.

quote:

Microsoft Passport, the predecessor to Windows Live ID, was originally positioned as a single sign-on service for all web commerce. Microsoft Passport received much criticism. A prominent critic was Kim Cameron, the author of The Laws of Identity,[3] who questioned Microsoft Passport in its violations of those laws. He then joined Microsoft in 1999 after his company was acquired and was its Chief Architect of Access and Identity until his 2019 retirement, helping to address those violations in the design of the Windows Live ID identity meta-system. As a consequence, Windows Live ID is not positioned as the single sign-on service for all web commerce, but as one choice of many among identity systems.

In December 1999, Microsoft neglected to pay their annual $35 "passport.com" domain registration fee to Network Solutions. The oversight made Hotmail, which used the site for authentication, unavailable on December 24. A Linux consultant, Michael Chaney, paid it the next day (Christmas), hoping it would solve this issue with the downed site. The payment resulted in the site being available the next morning.[4] In Autumn 2003, a similar good Samaritan helped Microsoft when they missed payment on the "hotmail.co.uk" address, although no downtime resulted.[5]

In 2001, the Electronic Frontier Foundation's staff attorney Deborah Pierce criticized Microsoft Passport as a potential threat to privacy after it was revealed that Microsoft would have full access to and usage of customer information.[6] The privacy terms were quickly updated by Microsoft to allay customers' fears.

In July and August 2001, the Electronic Privacy Information Center and a coalition of fourteen leading consumer groups filed complaints[7] with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) alleging that the Microsoft Passport system violated Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act (FTCA), which prohibits unfair or deceptive practices in trade.[8]

Microsoft had pushed for non-Microsoft entities to create an Internet-wide unified-login system.[9] Examples of sites that used Microsoft Passport were eBay and Monster.com, but in 2004 those agreements were cancelled.[10] In August 2009, Expedia sent notice out stating they no longer support Microsoft Passport / Windows Live ID.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

jokes posted:

We decided to just use chats for small groups because everyone kept loving with the teams. No, just because someone isn’t here today doesn’t mean you should make a new team, you’ll lose all your shared poo poo if you do that that’s why all your poo poo is gone and fragmented!

MS Teams needs a way to create channels, and for that probably to be the default.

Chats are pretty bad and can be removed trivially.
Teams are too "heavyweight" and have their own weird limitations, plus people don't use them correctly after 7 years or however long it's been. (Love to have a "Developers" team that only has around 50 people in it, but has separate channels for General, Azure, Blockchain, F# (!), Cloud (?), Java, and .NET.)

Also love that people @ the channel name almost every time they post something so they break your notification settings.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You might be better off running the Mac version in Sheepshaver or Basilisk II.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

My sound system has gone through a change now that my 15 yr/old speakers and media keyboard have crapped out, and I have a question specifically for Windows 11 people: is there a free, small-footprint program that I can use to change master system volume Up and volume Down, with the caveat that it allows re-bindable keyboard hotkeys to control them?

This is a bit of overkill, but AutoHotKey can do it.

I have some scripts like

code:
$Media_Play_Pause::
IfWinExist, ahk_class iTunes
SoundSet, 100
ControlSend, ahk_parent, {SPACE}  ; play/pause toggle
Return
and

code:
$Volume_Up::
SoundGet, volume
Send {Volume_Up}
SoundSet, volume + 10
Return

$Volume_Down::
SoundGet, volume
Send {Volume_Down}
SoundSet, volume - 10
Return

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

codo27 posted:

Am I really gonna have to use fuckin firefox?

At the bottom of the sidebar, click the settings gear. Under the second section, App and notifications settings, you'll want to go into Discover and disable the button.

Wow, no wonder I couldn't find any option to get rid of it. That poo poo is buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is there such a thing as a third party dictionary for Word?
I write technical/business documents (proposals, specifications, impact assessments) and am getting more and more annoyed at the lovely synonyms that it offers.