Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Got to play with Launch Control :dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpLlkFtoI0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Broke it :( Baja decided it wasn't having anymore of this -35°C business and developed horrifying transmission noises. It's parked for the rest of winter, time to save up for a 6spd swap.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

cursedshitbox posted:

Imagine what that fucker would do with a TVR 5.0.

Burn down?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Larrymer posted:

What's happening here?

Taking run-flats to their extreme.

My guess would be it's to test fit tire sizes without actually having to mount different tires on rims.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Galler posted:

:qq: I thought I could at least manage a week without it being filthy again.

Ahaha, that's precious, a week of clean seems like the elusive loch Ness monster. I think it's destiny that none of my vehicles stay clean after they're washed/detailed (depending on season) for longer than 24 hrs. Even garaged they can't escape their fates. :(

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

G-Mach posted:

Just put a new short block in the subuaru.

Spun bearing?

Started playing with HID projectors, hopefully I know what I'm doing...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Did some cutting, sanding, and swearing trying to fit the nice projectors into the housings and played with the shrouds. I need to extend them on one side because the S2k projectors are monsters and I've got a surprisingly tiny amount of room to work with. Can't decide what colour I should paint them after a built an extension on the side, would have been nice to leave them as is, but that's not possible. Maybe a gunmetal-ish colour, black or white might look tacky in these headlights.

Bonus shot of the Altima, and a terribly messy storage shed garage.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Picked up my transmission for the subie

Gotta love a hatchback.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

So that's the colour grass is supposed to look like, huh.

I get to enjoy a couple days of 13-18°c weather too, awe yeah. (Don't remind me that I have to eventually drive back to the frozen wasteland we call home.)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Chinatown posted:

I prefer to just flip my mirror to night-mode or whatever. Some auto-dimming mirrors take loving forever and do a poo poo job.

I've installed a newer Toyota one in the Hyundai and it dims down in under 2 seconds, about the same as the oem one in my Subaru.

N-thing how awesome they are, also auto lights are nice to have and they fix an issue as there were idiots running around with the lights off before auto lights were a thing. Unfortunately haven't experienced auto wipers yet.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

White lettering just looks so perfect on there. And that is a very pleasing noise maker.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Chriskory posted:

I/H/E S2000 dyno for comparison

What's with that weird kink right at around 4k rpm? VTECH crossover should be seen at around 5-6k ish on a stock AP1 no? Chart just looks like something funky is going on.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's actually there to cool off the ps fluid. Not a lot of cars come with an actual multi-row radiator for the ps, most just come with a small metal loop and it's enough to dissipate the heat generated by every day steering inputs, for almost the entire car buying public, they'll never need any more cooling than that little loop provides.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Took the Baja in for an alignment since everything was apart so it needed to be set properly now that all the bushings were replaced. A one hour $100 alignment turned into 3 hours and $300 :argh:

On top of that, spoke with the tech beforehand and explained to him what specs I wanted it aligned to and what aftermarket parts influence suspension and are adjustable, and he seemed to understand. 3 hours later I get my car back aligned to as close to stock as the parts will allow. Turns out he even turned the offset strut mounts to remove the added castor and camber they were designed to add. God drat, going to go back on Friday since I had places to be and was already running really late.

At least the wheels are aligned so I won't scrub the tires off just driving around.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I got screwed.

Please tell me you drive in a place that never sees snow or rain. Those tires have worn past the wear bars and are well on their way to impersonating drag slicks. Pretty sure that's illegal almost everywhere (not that's it's regularly enforced) and in an accident I'm pretty sure insurance would refuse to pay out if they see the tires.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Root Bear posted:

It took almost 2 cans worth to get adequate coverage of the gray on all four wheels. I'm letting it set overnight to finish up tomorrow, more to come...

I want to see what that looks like once it's dried and mounted on the car, kinda curious what the finish will look like with the metalizer. I haven't been a huge fan of just straight black plastidip on wheels.

As for what I actually did to my car, confirmed it's definitely the alternator producing the whine. Unless that shifty powersteering pump can make noise while stationary :tinfoil:
Found a surprisingly expensive ($60 for a belt? drat) short accessory belt to isolate the two accessories to confirm without a doubt it's one or the other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6b9bDHGlWA

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Raluek posted:

It does sound like pooched alternator bearings. Stick new bearings in there, or grab a junkyard alt?

That's the plan, have to call around and figure out what the pricing is like. New costs $300+ so that's a bit rich for my blood at the moment, the bearings are closer to $40 so I might just do that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bought it some new swag, I've been eyeing a D-shaped steering wheel for quite a while now, and a local subaru owner is parting out his mods so snatched one up for a good price.

(pic for reference)

Bye bye $400 canadian funbucks (New this wheel can be had ~$700 after taxes, shipping, and exchange rate, only available from the US and the exchange rate is pretty lovely nowadays) Just doing a leatherique treatment on it to make it factory fresh and throwing it on the Baja tomorrow.

YAY, I'm so excited. A steering wheel with actual high quality leather and great support for your hands is going to be great!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Just bought a set of tires that cost $200 more that what I bought the car for :toot:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My car has a MAP sensor not a MAF. Pretty common "mod" for my car.

This. MAP based systems can take a lot of fuckery on the intake without issue. Did the same "mod" to my Veloster, although finding a 1" cap/plug is a pain in the rear end.

MAF based systems are no fun in comparison :( (although technically better)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Installed my impulse purchase!

Before:

After:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks, it's the look I was going for so I'm happy :)

I'm keeping them until I end up selling the car. I'm distrustful of aftermarket LED's and I want a backup in case they end up being crap long term.

Plus 100% numbers matching original, I KNOW WHAT I GOT.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh wow, yeah it's been a while. I've got the same experience on our Craigslist equivalent Kijiji, terrible signal to noise ratio. I've actually had much better luck tossing things onto eBay or finding model specific forums. Try those maybe? EBay just sucks because their cut is too much and iirc they double dip with eBay fees and PayPal fees.

BlackMK4 posted:

Swapped out my Evo for a Circuit

Nice, looking online those two look pretty similar with the circuit looking to have more head restraint. Any particular reason for the switch?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Chaosfirev posted:

I'm looking forward to the day I can say something in this thread besides "repair"

I love my 90 corvette but there's nothing like another $1000 repair bill to make me question my sanity.

At least yours breaks by itself.

I managed to get mine to slip off a stand, punch a hole through the fender liner and take out a clutch line to the tune of $600 in parts :downs:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Huge_Midget posted:

Costco is amazing for tires, just got 4 brand new 235/55R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE980 all seasons put on my wife's Subaru for under $500 out the door. Old tires disposed of, new tires mounted, balanced, filled with nitrogen, and 50,000 mile road hazard warranty. PBUC!

Fun fact, Costco also carries Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires for the cheapest price anywhere, period. So if you ever want to buy a set of God's Own Tires, hit up your local 'Co!

Costco is amazing. I bought PSS tires there and the mounted price was a good $300-400 cheaper than the next lowest cost place in town.

Their procedure also includes hand tightening lugs with a proper torque wrench so no worries about a tire monkey going to town on your lugs with a rattle gun where 5 rat-rat-ratas are "torqued to spec"

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I don't think I've ever picked up a car that didn't immediately need tires.

New, old, didn't matter. They were either garbage tires that were lacking in grip to the point where I couldn't stand it or they're just barely above the cords and their days are numbered.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MY = model year.

5 year old rubber I wouldn't sweat it too much if there's no dryrot/cracking for daily use only. Towing, track time, or just heavy use I would probably get new by 5 years.

E: oldest I've ever run was a set of Bridgestones that were 12 years iirc, had a whitewall stripe and everything. Pretty much brand new tread depth and not a hint of dry rot, but I still never drove it on the highway with those wheels.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 26, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For standard lugs, no. For spline drive "tuner" lugs, yeah.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Got my calipers back from being powder coated and installed them. I'm loving how they look.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

EvilBeard posted:

OK, you got me. I have a dirty, dirty secret. It's an automatic.

*GASP*

How are the autos in those anyway? I assume they're some flavor of regular slushbox and not something like the newer manumatics/dual clutch boxes

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

New Ireland Engineering exhaust on the MINI.

How's it sound? And I always laugh a little when they do center exhausts but it's obviously forced since the muffler is off to the side, on both sides for the OEM one in your case. My Veloster has the same trick as the muffler is very much on the passenger side but the exhaust pipe exits the mufflers side so that it can be routed to the center of the bumper.

At least on the mini it looks like it's a fairly straight shot down the center of the body.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

When my rustimas clutch gave out (due to operating as a wet clutch from a rms leak) I just scraped the car, it did have well over 200k km on it with the original clutch. The underside was so rusty it had structural carpet and gently caress touching all those rusted bolts trying to get the trans off.

The only car I've replaced the clutch multiple times was my Baja, but that was more due to power creep causing me to exceed the torque ratings on them causing slip and transmission changes that requires a clutch style change from push style to pull style.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Uhh, you know you could have just bought LEDs labeled as Canbus compatible and they'd have come with load resistors, right?

I'm all for playing with electronics, but there was an easier way here.

E: holy poo poo, torx fasteners on a Chevy? I thought only ze Germans used that everywhere.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 26, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Load resistors on the circuit itself also come with the issue of typically being installed via vampire taps which, while kinda clever, are almost always the wrong way to tap into a circuit.

Didn't realise just how unsuited those resistors on the canbus bulbs are, from the designs I saw I figured they were on the lower edge of an acceptable load and that they used a large enough resistor package to dissipate enough heat to the pads.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Washed, clayed, polished, and waxed so the 24 hr clock before it's dirty has been reset. Getting in and out I managed to tear a convertible top gasket and turns out it's priced at $rape and there's a single inaccessible screw that might mean I have to remove the entire top completely to undo.

It's really put a damper on the good clean car feeling...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

21mm maybe? It's within spitting distance of 13/16" and would make sense for suspension bolts, although if the rest of the fasteners are imperial it's odd. Previous owner/shop switched out with metric some time in the past?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Time to get an alignment

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"...typically vapourises, gets directed back to the cylinder and burned off..."

How exactly??
PCV system?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

You'll want the stiffer bypass valve, Subaru's run pretty high oil pressure (20+ psi idle, cold start is well over 100psi, and any revs and you're instantly over 30psi on mine at least). With a weaker bypass the filter could just be bypassing all the time and not actually using any of that extra filler medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:doh: that's sleep deprived logic for you, carry on.

No idea why the 2.5 is specced with such a beefier bypass spring, I know some generations of the turbo 2.5 had oil coolers so I don't think it would be that. I just faintly remember reading somewhere online that it was important that the bypass pressure be 20+ but I can't remember the reason or if it was a reliable source :iiam: