Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I did some test fitting for an install of an large oil cooler and tranny cooler so my srt8 doesnt have any overheating issues at the track. Im waiting for the big power steering cooler to come in before i pop the front fasica off and install all 3.

Im not looking forward to bumping my oil changes from 7qts of mobile 1 to 8qts :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Yesterday I took the front of my SRT8 apart

To mount an enormous power steering fluid cooler so i don't blow mine out at the track again

Hopefully ill figure out how i want to mount my oil and trans coolers to the top of my bumper this week while i wait for a 3/8" NPT tap to arrive so i can deepen the threads on the oil cooler sandwich adapter.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Das Volk posted:

I'm kind of surprised you track that thing, I would think it'd be like strapping JATO rockets to an elephant.

Its actually not bad at all. Its only a few hundred pounds heavier then the CTS-V you had and with sticky 275's all around for now its got enough grip in the corners. Next year ill probably get some dedicated 18" track wheels (maybe CCW's) with 275f/315r nitto nt01's.

Theres a guy out in california tracking his DD magnum and running down some real expensive rides at laguna
http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna052709_2.wmv

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

In between watching le mans i managed to tap the NPT threads deeper on my oil cooler sandwich adaptor

i then installed the AN fittings and hopefully will be able to mount the cooler to the bumper and plumb everything tomorrow afternoon.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I installed an aux oil cooler on my srt today.

Top left of the bumper

poorly routed lines

this sandwich plate was 100% unpleasent to get in there and bolted down.

:whatup:

next on the docket is the trans cooler

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Pulled the back seats and other bullshit out of my srt8 in preparation for some hot lapping at NJMSP in the rain this Saturday.

I'm going to need all the help i can get.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

installed

I may drive into the sand trap on purpose next track day!

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Wamsutta posted:

Badass ride. I love seeing tow hooks on a car that actually gets tracked. Being an import enthusiast, I'm constantly surrounded by cars with pointless (and often improperly mounted) tow hooks, just because it's "mad JDM, son" to have them.

Thanks,

I wish i could have mounted the front hook so it was poking out of the lower grill instead, but i would have had to spaced it out way too far.

The current set up is a bit garish for my tastes but i wanted to go with a fixed hook instead of a folding because of the expense and ease of mounting.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Installed

Adjustable rear endlinks!

Now i wait for the front set to come in the mail

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I swapped the oem radio for the oem nav unit in my SRT8 after work today. Unfortunately it did not come with the GPS antenna so i have exactly the same functionality as the radio i just replaced :downsgun:. I'll look into getting an antenna tomorrow at work.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I put the interior from the rear seats back, back into my car. I wanted to drop some easy weight since i was going to Englishtown raceway last weekend to get a feel good timeslip for my srt8. I pulled out 86 pounds giving the car a race weight of 4265lb (car weight 4090lb) and ran a 12.6 @ 111mph. I was happy with it for a car with just an Intake/Exhaust/Tune for power mods.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Sterndotstern posted:

Nice. That's the car you took to a trackday recently as well? I'm sure it's porky but clearly it's drat quick. How the car -- particularly the brakes -- hold up to the track?

Yep, its not really set up for the strip right now. I've got too much camber in the rear to hook up as well as i could and i would have installed a 3000 stall converter to get a better launch instead of the trans/oil/PS coolers.

The brakes hold up well, but I've got DOT 4 fluid and track oriented pads so i would expect them to work. I did manage to get the rears to discolor a bit my last track day so i might be a bit closer to the edge then i think.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Test fit next years track wheels and took some very blue pictures

18x9.5 and 18x10.5 RPF1's with 285/35/18 and 305/35/18 555r2's
Drops 62 lbs of rotational weight compared to the stock wheels with 275/40/20's and adds quite a bit more and stickier rubber.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

GWBBQ posted:

Your white balance is set to "indoors" :argh:

I know, but i wasnt putting the wheels back on to get pictures with the correct color balance. I only took the pics initially to give some other srt8 owners an idea of the clearances they would have if they went with that size tire/wheel for the track.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

It was nice enough out that i threw my new track wheels/tires on to do a little shakedown run to make sure everything fit without rubbing and that there were no isues using a 5x114.3 wheel instead of a 5x115. It turned out pretty good, other then confirming that im going to have to spin my coilovers up a hair to keep from touching in the front under hard braking.

285 and 305 555r2's are going to be a nice increase in grip over the square 275 street tire setup I used last year.

Cant wait for the first DE day of the season at the end of the month.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Drove it at the wettest track day ive ever been to

Unfortnuatly slamming into a puddle of standing water at 100mph over and over again cracked the bottom of my front fascia.

I should have just stayed home instead.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Bud Manstrong posted:

He braked harder and later than most of the cars out there, and the car was shockingly composed under braking. No drama whatsoever.

having a mile long wheelbase and fairly even weight distribution does wonders towards keeping the car composed both under braking and acceleration.

Its far from an ideal track car for a number of reasons, but for what it is it will hustle around a track way better then it should after a few relatively minor upgrades.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

10000lbsofbananas posted:

Took it to a track :D

First time ever. Had a blast.

Who were you running with that didnt require helmets?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I corded the hell out of the shoulder of some Pirelli Grand am slicks :emo:

whoops

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Baby Hitler posted:

Get some camber and/or raise your pressures. I ran -3.8 on a car less than half your car's weight, so you might need quite a bit.

I'm maxed out at -2.6 which is all I'm willing to run on my daily driver but that's within pirelli's specs so i don't think it was the main issue. I'm 95% sure its a pressure issue, I was just experimenting with them to see where the sweet spot was pressure wise and one session at 32psi cold smoked the shoulders.

Its not the end of the world though, they were scrubs and only cost $85 each and I've got another front set getting mounted on the wheels now for a track day tomorrow. I'm going to start at 40psi cold and work my way down from there.

That said, they were worth nearly 6 seconds on a 1.9 mile course over the same size 555R2's. It was kind of fun not having to look in my mirrors once the entire day. According to my telemetry i spiked to a 1.8g braking force at one point (though i think that might be an anomaly the numerous 1.5g plots are more believable) along with 1.46g turning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2PvS0f0b-I

kill me now fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 16, 2010

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Lightbulb Out posted:

What brakes are those?

Im going to take a wild guess and say wilwoods

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

In the last week i've

Driven it in the snow

Which was bad

Because of these in the back

325's footprint

I finally got around to lowering it a on the built in ride height adjustment bolts

And allowed it to get blizzarded on

The front end just disappears into the snow.

I kind of want to post these on one of the corvette forums just to watch them all freak out a bit.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Puddin posted:

Holy poo poo, I though the extra 15c a litre here was bad for premium, that's just out and out crazy.

Thats not premium, thats 100 octane race gas which is always significantly more expensive. The premium is only 23c/gal more than 87

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Drilled some holes in my car and added the fake tinsel of high performance Carbon fiber!

Elbow deep

Next up are a set of B&B bullets because I miss having a stupid loud car apparently.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

ApathyGifted posted:

Now I know what I'm doing to my Vette after the blackout kit, black rims, GM PAL V2, and the other thing that I can never remember.

Also, do you want to sell me your NPP mufflers when you get the bullets? I want to retrofit my '05. I've heard the NPP's sound amazing when stuck to the end of some LG long tubes, and you can still do quiet puttering if you don't hate your neighbors.

Yeah I could do that. The exhaust is due in on Monday so hopefully I can install it on wednesday if the weather holds.

I'll pm you about the mufflers.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Mighty Horse posted:

Rear visibility sucks, and was made worse by the PO tinting the rear windows, which does look fantastic, so I have a backup camera module for the radio on its way as well.

They all come from the factory with tinted rear windows...

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Put the B&B bullets on yesterday. Will have to slightly adjust the tips so they're 100% level but I'll do that when I have to jack the car up to retighten everything after a few hundred miles.

I am all sorts of happy with the way it sounds. I missed having an obnoxiously loud v8 after trading in the SRT8 with SLP Loutmouth II's on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyUTKL5e3R0:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Also looks like this things not gonna see Limerock unless I can catch an unmuffled day :smuggo:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

ApathyGifted posted:

My NPP's arrived today, express delivery from kill me now. Thanks for the awesome deal, guy!

I will put them on after I've bought the headers they'll be mating with and the NPP-in-a-box control unit.

I'm sure you'll enjoy them, the NPP sounds real good (and is tolerable to drive with them open). I also didn't mind only being out a few hundred bucks at the end of the day for a whole new set of over axle pipes on my car. I wish more mods had such a nice return on the stock parts.

Also you would not believe how much those fuckers cost to ship :downs:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Cut off the bottom of the rear suspension adjustment bolts rubber bushing to even out the ride height front to rear on my car

Before:

After:

I think the front will settle a bit more

I also evened out the exhaust tips a bit better and tightened down all the bolts again. Still not perfectly straight though, just need to tweak the right pair which i'll do tomorrow. :arghfist:

With the car looking as it does and sounding like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyUTKL5e3R0

I am so happy with this car.

Next things up will probably be painting the calipers red, an MGW shifter, and Pfadt "Johnny O" sway bars.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

dangerz posted:

Isn't messing with the rake like that going to give you handling problems? I thought the rake is there for handling/aero reasons.

There is still a bit of rake in the body and the front should still be settling. Besides i've probably already ruined the aero balance by putting the rear spoiler on the car without the front splitter and side skirts. Those are in the plans down the road for sure but there are other things to come before it.

With regards to handling, the car has been aligned at the lower ride height and I've a number of posts from Aaron Pfadt saying that lowering on the stock bolts really wont negatively impact the mechanical handling of the car unless you go way beyond that point. Even then its more of a shock stroke issue and not a suspension geometry one. I only cut the first rib off the rears and honestly I know the look is somewhat dramatic but its not a huge change in overall height.

Evening out things also aleviated some of the excessive scraping that I was getting with the front end so much lower than the rear. The nose down attitude definitely had the front splitter and air dam

For reference this is what it looked like when I picked the car up from the dealer in December.

The wheel gap is pretty even there

I'll let you know if the front end starts floating or anything next time I have it up in the 130-140's.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

dangerz posted:

It's not really about aero balance. It's about stability. The wrong rake allows air to build up below the car and causes lots of float.

Well yeah, the cars are ok to be lowered. That's why the bolts are accessible. You're supposed to maintain the rake though. It's one thing to add a spoiler. That messes with the cD, but it doesn't change your handling too much (at least not the ZR1 spoilers). Having the wrong rake will change your handling. It will cause float when you're in the triple digits (search the CorvetteForums, you'll find plenty of info on this).

The wheel gap is just for looks. Panels don't always line up. You're supposed to measure at the lift points in your rockers for ride height/rake.

The front air dam is designed and built to be able to scraped. I also scrape with my z06. That's normal and ok.

Anyway, it's your car. Still looks awesome. Just offering some tips.

I know all about the lift potential if air packs up under the car. Like I said the car still has some rake in it as mesaured at the lift points. Also if you look at where the rake posts are for 95% of the topics on CF they're in the C5 section.

I know the body panels dont necessarily indicate the correct orientation, but if they were basically even (on this car) from the factory with the factory rake and are now even lowered. It should stand to reason that the rake hasnt changed significantly.

I know the air dam can and should scrape, but where it was it was scraping over every undulation in the road. Its still practically on the ground. I was also actually scraping the splitter which is not ideal, especially if I plan on going with a zr1 style splitter in the future.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

ApathyGifted posted:

Beginning at 3:30 yesterday afternoon, we began installing my LG long tubes and the NPP mufflers that kill me now sold me.

God friggin drat LG has some poo poo tolerance work going on. The highflow cats didn't fit. Their outer diameter was the same as the outer diameter of the primaries, so all we could do was bang the ends on each other. Finally pried it a little wider and rammed it on with a wooden block and a giant loving mallet.

It also did not come with extensions for the rear O2 sensors, so I'm going to be riding a little dirty until those get ordered.

My NPP in a Box control unit went in rather easily, just some pain in the rear end work getting the vacuum line run because I didn't want to go through the exhaust tunnel. Went around the wheel wells and through the rocker panel instead, put the box behind the interior trunk trim instead of one of the passenger storage bin as instructed (Because I actually use my storage bins).

So we worked until 1 AM last night. Woke up at 7:30 and worked until just now at noon. Still not done. Everything is finally fit together, just have to tighten down the clamps and torque the header bolts. And then, loud and obnoxious hooning.

Nice, I think I'm gonna go with the Pfadt Tri-Y headers next year when I'm looking for a power bump. I hear they net a bit more torque and have great fit and finish.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

ApathyGifted posted:

I finally finished that bitch of an install.

Your mufflers are now being controlled by my 2005 standard garage door opener. Button 2 is "I don't want to piss too many people off today." Button 1 is "gently caress EVERY ALARM CLOCK IN THE STATE, I'M HERE BITCHES."

It also no longer chugs when skip shift catches me.

you really should do a skip shift fuse, so much less frustrating to drive at slow speeds with it.

Its funny for the first week after I put the bullets on I was a little self conscious about how loud the car was. For some reason it felt louder than my SRT8 had been (it isn't). Now either I've subconsciously stopped giving any fucks or the car just doesn't seem as loud and obnoxious.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Yeah even when I had the npp I just ran with the fuse pulled for it so it was kind of a waste. If the open was louder I may have just bought a m2w switch or something so I could have the option.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

ApathyGifted posted:

Also, gently caress the previous owner for getting god drat Continentals. I've probably got more wear on the side walls than the actual tread because they just flex so drat much. Anyone know a good deal on the Goodyear Eagle F1 runflats that my car would have come out of the factory with? Not having a spare blows rear end when you don't have runflats.

Dont get the Goodyear F1's, they are not good tires in any way shape or form.

If want to splurge on really good tires then get the new Michelin PSS ZP runflats that are OEM on the C7. Everything points to them being amazing tires.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

opengl128 posted:

Wife told me she took a left turn the other day in her Elantra and a bunch of water came pouring into the passenger foot well. I had horrible visions of a heater core replacement, but nope, the a/c drain was plugged. Gave it one shot of compressed air and a ton of water came gushing out. Crisis averted.

That is super common on the Hyundai/Kia Elantra/Forte and Sonata/Optima models.

Like super common

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

MrOnBicycle posted:

I had good results using a steam cleaning to heat up and pull it off. Also man is the thread title hitting home a bit too much.

Steam is 100% the correct tool for the job when removing tint

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Darchangel posted:

Wow, radar detectors are still a thing? That people spend money on?

They are for people who want to not get speeding tickets in areas where the police use radar to enforce speed limits. So yes, people are still buying them.

Waze only does so much.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Finally got around to lowering my MINI on NM springs. It rides fine and sits so much better.

I work at a MINI dealership and we happened to have an unused set of hand me down "house" wheels that were available to throw on. So I dropped down from the stock 17" all season runflats to a set of 16" Conti extreme contact sports on sparco wheels.

It rips even more than normal now :getin:

Before

After

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Mustache Ride posted:

Those Fauoz wheels look great

I mean, Oz does produce sparco's wheels