Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

evil_bunnY posted:

Stephen Shore is a goon?

Just curious, what in particular makes you think about Stephen Shore?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Is there any difference between this and bracketing + choosing the right exposures?

The idea is metering and then taking one photo versus taking several slightly different photos and picking the one that you think is best.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

s0meb0dy0 posted:

I get how the process is different, but is the end product any different?

You have one photo that is exactly how you wanted it instead of three where one is exactly how you want it but underexposed by two stops and another that is "close enough" because you relied on bracketing instead of your technical skill as a photographer

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I don't want to point any fingers with this post but "good composition" is not the same as "following the rule of thirds" or "plotting your photo onto a spiral" or whatever. Composition is much more about each object in the scene and how they relate to each other, NOT JUST SPATIALLY, but also with regards to the inherent meaning and function of those objects and how they interact, including individual intent, in or outside of the scene.

E: this doesn't just apply to landscape/topographic photography but most other fields of photography as well.

This is pointing fingers: I'm glad that you're trying to make your photos look painterly with your expensive camera body, octane2, but you should know that a bad painting is about as critically valuable as a bad photograph.

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 30, 2009

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
pew

pew

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Ektar is neat-o

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

8th-samurai posted:

This would have been fly as hell if it wasn't all off kilter and unbalanced what happened

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Well I think things being off centre is a problem (I think stepping to the left ever so slightly and maybe turning left a little bit would have done wonders to make the scene "lock in") but there is also that the whole scene seems to be tilted a little relative to the edges of the frame. I noticed that you were very careful to make sure the top of the building was level but that seems to be the only edge in the whole photo that has that property. I would have been more particular about getting the lines on the building to make the same angle with the edge of the frame as it's symmetrical double. These kinds of photos are candy for me I love to take them and love to see them but this one seems a little sloppy.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

I feel bad that everyone passed over this very good picture of toilets

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
hmm what will make this boring rear end photo interesting

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
its a cool spot but i wouldnt be afraid of showing more of the surrounding scene or taking it from an angle because in general the presentation is kind of flat and dull

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
to me what makes those images interesting comes a lot from the contrast between the real (i.e. the surrounding landscape or context) and unreal (the mural). in that image i dont get enough of the "real" combined with a well executed form of the inherent exterior artifice of the photographic medium.

at this point i think the whole taking a picture of a mural is a lil hackneyed regardless i still tend to enjoy the photos of it that i see when done well. here's a few that i liked that ive seen. the first two are by some other ppl but the last few are mine for fairness

https://flic.kr/p/a2tRJV (idk how to embed other ppls flickr images so i just linked em sory)

https://flic.kr/p/8JCB3F

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 14, 2016

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Try it and see how it looks!

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

RangerScum posted:

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Riverview by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Ric posted:

Naunton

Ric posted:

Cheltenham

cool pics folks

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
it will be a long time before i get film developed again probably but i m learning the medium of "phone pics"

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
thats good poo poo

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

artsy fartsy posted:

It was basically drizzling/misting the whole time it wasn't raining balls. Does make for some very pretty hikes, like walking through Fern Gully or something.

One more that imgur ate:

This one's my favourite but I also likes this one

artsy fartsy posted:

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Blackhawk posted:

Feels very magenta in the highlights?

Edit: what a shameful snipe...

velvia v :) v

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Sick

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

This photo is also bad. Maybe it illustrates something in the article or is just a part of aesthetic experiment. If a photo can't stand on its own then you need to provide the context for the critique.

You're right photos don't need to have a meaning or evoke a feeling but there should be a reason someone would want to look at them. Otherwise what is that point of taking them except just to fill up space on cloud storage somewhere.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i still don't love it but you are right there is a much clearer intention to it than i initially gave it credit for ill blame it on looking just on my phone first thing in the morning

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
the cup is also very good but i think the third one is my favourite

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

real nap poo poo posted:

That's the magic of photography! It's about the feeling of the scene. An intuitive, internal process. Photography is about seeing, and knowing what to take a picture of is about developing your sensibilities about what you like looking at, I think.

I agree with this. Like any other kind of art you find your voice through study and experience. I think at the end of the day photography is about making interesting pictures. It's hardly a decision to take a photo of something interesting but what catches your eye is about a moment and a process.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Nice lumps my man

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Can't allow this thread to go on any further without saying that this is an astounding photo and extremely my poo poo

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

these rip

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
pretty annoyed by how these scans came back from the lab but these will ahve to do uintil i am reunited with my scanner

might as well post these ones here too

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 1, 2021

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

These rock

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 15, 2021

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

still a wip :/

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

seravid posted:

This has a great vibe. Where is it?

near three mill lane in london

bobmarleysghost posted:

what's the work about

im still agonising the crop and im not sure about the colour balance. i think going back with different weather could be worth it

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

real nap poo poo posted:

from my recent trip to the Oregon coast

all good but this is my fav

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

bobmarleysghost posted:

i don't mind the crop. what are you trying to go for with the image? as it is right now i get a subdued quietness from it.

oh i think i misunderstood you at first. i will be honest i don't think too much about what i am going for per se though i have identified a number of themes in phototraphy that interest me and i tend to wind up there by following my intuition.

to talk about working on this image i want to find the best way to take and edit the picture that exentuates what interests me about it. im pleased, for example, that you mentioned quietness because i think that and the perception of stillness is something that i come to often.

seekign "the best way" involves running back and forth trying to get the angles right, finding out they weren't when the photo gets developed, and heading back out there to try again (or not). and then editing i struggle with pushing curves around seeking something naturalistic that captures what i experienced on site and feeling like i dont even know what the outside world looks like anymore. these are the two questions i have about the image - have i locked in the composition and are people going to look and this and feel like everything is a bit too green or whatever

i could go on about about what it is that interests me but i wont for risk of bloviating. as for what it is im trying to do i dont really have more to say except ill keep tinkering until it feels right though i have started to like this one the way it is

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
thanku heres another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
The logging companies only mandate is to make as much profit as they can without breaking the rules. Every cut they do requires impact assessments and management plans that must be approved by the provincial government. (Other provinces and countries may be different).

I agree that what they are doing is wrong and and in general think that capital rationalism is one of our societies most pernicious evils. It is, however, the system that we live under and the loggers do this stuff because the government allows them to. In my opinion it is a failure by our elected officials and the ministry of forests (, lands, and natural resources) to represent the best interests of the people to whom they have a mandate.