Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone have any tips for shooting star fields at night? I'm going out tonight on a mountain to try to capture some decent space landscapes. I've read all about stacking and I guess that's what I'm going to try. How does 8 second exposures at 100mm f/4 sound? I'll probably stack around 50 shots.

Also, cross posting these from the pano thread because they're my first real attempt at landscapes. These were all panoramas shot at 1.8 for the kind of medium format depth of field effect.

IMG_0239_stitch by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0231_stitch by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0292_stitch by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

I guess this one counts? I really liked the tableaux look of the scene and the light behind the house.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, it bugs me too. I tried fixing the distortion but had no luck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sick. Serious Close Encouters vibes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sludge Tank posted:

Cape Schanck by Alex Gard, on Flickr

I really need to sort out my filter bracket, or get a better system. I am sick of having to crop out the sides of photos where I use it.

Whoa, beautiful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really like these, very clean feel to them.

Nice view this morning

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I really think this would be better if you cropped out the bottom half.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Those are amazing. I think I just decided where my next vacation is. Well done.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That would normally be a really boring photo but your developing really makes it work. I like the square crop too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cool as hell. It fooled me and I kept waiting for it to load until I tilted my laptop back and got the right angle to see it. Is this first a brenizer method comp?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Great colors in that shot, wow. 4/3s are getting really impressive, time to jump on that train.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fb by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

drat dude. Can you give some pointers to getting the night sky to be so perfect?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks for that explanation, I will definitely try that technique this weekend.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I need to go to Iceland.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The color is fine, but the over sharpening literally hurts my eyes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've been getting into night photography a lot lately. This is one of my favorites, though I wish I had more room to shoot the boat more towards the left of the frame to center the cluster of Milky Way, but there were a lot of trees on the right.

Here's another from that night

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 23, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

1 frame, 20mm 1.8, 8 seconds at 3200 for those. The key is to find really dark skies and clear nights near or on a new moon. Patience, basically. I use Darksitefinder.com. I actually wrote a guide on my Milky Way shooting and post processing here http://www.lightroomzen.com/blog/2016/2/10/milky-way-astrophotography-tutorial

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Is 8 seconds really as long as you can go without getting startrails? Seems a shame to have to go to 3200 ISO.

That night was pretty windy and I was actually on a floating dock. With the 20mm I can go up 25 seconds with no trails, but only with good solid ground. Also, the d750 looks fine at 3200 honestly. I've done a 48x48 print of the Milky Way at ISO 8000 and it looks great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh man, where is this? I'm headed out west soon and this looks like the kinda spot I'm looking for.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

You have an odd definition of "killer"

"how dare your aesthetic tastes not match mine"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

alkanphel posted:

If that's true, then why would that person ask for critique or comments? Everyone is a unique person, thus aesthetic tastes will always be different. In fact sometimes that difference in perception is the value of asking for critique. You can listen but you don't have to agree.

Ansel wasn't critiquing the photos as much as telling another poster that was that his opinion is invalid.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Went to Zion. Hiked about 35 miles, ran a 100k ultramarathon on the mesas, and camped in the freezing temps all week. It didn't disappoint.

and my favorite photo from the week: a double exposure of sunset and twilight of the iconic canyon junction bridge view. First time trying focus stacking and double exposure with about 8.5 hours difference in the shots.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 6, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well thanks guys. I don't have much of a clue of what I'm doing with landscapes but I sure do love it. Such a refreshing change from weddings/portraits.

If you've never been to Utah, it's just out of this world good. Being from the Southeast the sense of scale out there blows my mind.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 6, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Verman posted:

Jesus Huckleberry Christ.

1. Hiking and running an ultra marathon ... ridiculous

2. Your photos are pretty great

3. What body are you running and what lenses (assuming wide angle) did you use the most? I'm building a new kit based off a Sony a7iii but I'mgetting my wedding lenses first (24-70, 70-200 and 85). Anything wider than 24mm is going to be a later purchase but in just trying to get ideas now.

Ive been wanting to get out to Utah for a while now that I live on the west coast but this really made up my mind. I might have to try to get out there before it gets too crazy hot or wait until fall.

Also I've been really enjoying the double exposure landscapes that mix sunset and night time exposures.

Those were on the Nikon d750 with their 20/35/50/85 1.8s which is also my wedding kit. According to Lightroom I used them in that order the most on this trip, though the 20 is inflated due to a lot of star shots and some bracketing. The 20 1.8 is an incredible lens that I don't see get nearly enough praise, with basically zero distortion for how wide it is. The 35 is my favorite landscape length though, which is what the Angels Landing and daytime Watchman shots were done on.

If I were packing light I'd take the 35 and 85, they cover most of what I shoot and I can fit both in my little dslr pouch with the body in my daypack. If I were going ultralight I'd just take the 35, it can do a little of everything pretty well. I've considered going back to a 24-70 and 70-200 setup to cover a wider range with half the lenses and keeping the 20 for night stuff. I ran that setup on Canon and loved it, but wanted to go all primes on Nikon for a change.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 6, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

landgrabber posted:

why are so many of these scraping the edges of overexposed?

are these touched up at all? the colors look pretty washed out and there's a ton of grain on photos that would strongly benefit from not having that there, particularly in the long exposures

Not sure how I'd describe the colors as washed out, there's a ton of saturation in the blues and greens and the exposure is pretty even other than the mid day stuff in the high up shots, but it was very bright and hazy so they reflect that. As for night shot grain, they were shot at 12,000 ISO so it's a trade off. Also Imgur ate everything with compression, they're definitely cleaner on my end. I really should use flickr more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

- Light in general is really tricky in Zion. You can face one way and things are very nicely lit and you can get a nice blue sky to contrast the red canyon walls. Then you face the other direction and everything is washed out to hell. I think you see that in a couple of Bottom Liner's shots, notably the two canyon vistas.
- Angel's Landing was only okay. Much, much prefer The Narrows.

Yeah shooting anything in the high desert is like that except at dusk. Here's my same shots showing that struggle

Angel's Landing was a fun moderately challenging hike (pretty hardcore for most people, more in the elevation than technical) and I thought the views were worth it. I wish I'd had done it at sunset and rented a bike to get back to the entrance but I thought it was still great. Met some cool people on the way up and down too. The Narrows was indeed a great unique experience. It felt amazing on my feet after my race!

And yeah, I had 6 days in the park and it wasn't enough.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I didn't do enough intermediary focusing and I need to even out the exposures more before printing since I shot the foreground too early and had drop the exposure, but it's pretty close to what I had in mind when planning.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 7, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

Why would you a) shoot this at high ISO and b) filter the poo poo out of the photos you posted.
Why do you want the noise?

That’s at iso 100 and as I said they don’t look nearly as noisy when not compressed on img. I’ll post a 100% crop later on Flickr to show.

InternetJunky posted:

Unless your camera is mounted on a tracking tripod you have just under 30 seconds to get your exposure before star trails start. This is why I would shoot at 12000 ISO anyway, but I'm not OP.

Correct. Lower iso = less nebula being captured.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Canyonlands. This might be better at a 16:9.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 17, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zion last week

and some film from various bike trips this year

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fuji Xtra 400 from Walmart. My go to point and shoot film because it’s cheap and well rounded for daytime use in the pano camera I use.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s a fine street photo but I wouldn’t put it in the landscape genre. Without the people it would be a nice scene.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There's a world of difference between photojournalists not heavily editing film prints (which they still did in pretty much every famous photo) vs posting a raw file. Raw files are not close to what the eyes see, they're purposefully stripped of data to give you headroom in editing. Posting a straight raw file is not any more pure to what the world is than slapping an HDR filter on it.

"Photorealistic" photography as the eyes see is really hard because our eyes are way more complicated than a camera and it's very hard to reproduce the physics of that much less a digital recreation of it. I do think there's value in trying to achieve a hyperrealistic photograph but I think that requires a fair bit of editing but our visual memory is really bad, which only adds to the difficulty. The best way to achieve it would probably be shooting tethered and editing live on location.

Content, here's a 5% crop of the only bit of clear sky I had last night.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The last two rule

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really like that shot and the colors and low contrast. what was it shot on? Also, are these in Georgia?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want to shoot RAW at least play with exposure compensation and custom white balance because those two can go a long way. Or shoot in JPEG with custom settings for contrast/sharpening, etc. No reason to shoot in RAW if you're not going to use the lateral data it gives you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I've found in LR that making a gradient and applying shadow +/- or black +/- to that gradient works well. In PS you'd be making a mask and doing the same thing.

Luminosity mask is basically this but much better with less bleed where you don't want it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Going through some old shots and playing with 6x17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Unfortunately not just digital crop