Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
All my bird shots involve dead things.

Dead Banana Rat

Dead Boa Constrictor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
What do you do about weeds, dammit?

through the weeds by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Small Bird Small Nest2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Bird ID? And 200mm is definitely too short. Gonna take my 2x teleconverter next time, and accept the loss of sharpness.

What kind of bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Was it taken in the U.S.? That might help.

Cuba.

Always two together when I saw them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yea, $900 with only some minor cosmetic damage. I've wanted this lens since I started photography so can't pass it up at that price. I only wish I'd been able to get it before my trip to Yellowstone last summer.

I just bought one. Went thru the whole range of options first. 300mm f/4IS was the only other real struggle. But, in the end, the zoom beat the prime for function, and the IS beat the 400mm. A 400mm 5.6 IS would be a nice prime.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Birds are assholes.

Pelicans, egrets, lots of nice birds. Very close. Behind an impenetrable barrier of brush.

A million hidden birds by torgeaux, on Flickr

Hiding Pelican by torgeaux, on Flickr

Meadowlark? Sure, he's right there in the open.

Meadowlark1 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Meadowlark2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'd like a wildlife thread, but separate from birds. This thread has enough traffic, supports itself quite well. I'd hate to see it overwhelmed with squirrel shots, although the torgeaux photography theorem states, "Every shot of a squirrel is a good photograph."

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, shooting landscapes and have exposure comp set at -2/3s? Sure. Tricolor egret lands in tree above you? Don't bother to change exposure.

tricolor egret by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Lots of tame birds on Hilton Head, and I had no camera except when it was harsh mid-day lighting.

Big Bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The Stink Eye by torgeaux, on Flickr

Showing me his back by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pablo Bluth posted:

Nice bird, what is it?

The very common meadowlark.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
This one has two birds in it...in a gruesome way.

American Kestrel Eating Palm Warbler by torgeaux, on Flickr

This bastard was way out, and neither hunted nor moved closer while I waited.

King of All He Surveys by torgeaux, on Flickr

Eating a Donut by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Mourning Doves hatched a bit ago, now out flying with the 'rents. Note: 3200 and 4000 ISO, low evening light.

New Mourning Dove2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

New Mourning Dove by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Local owl. This is heavily cropped at 400mm.

Birding Is Hard by torgeaux, on Flickr

Also, on the "feeding on carrion" thing, I've posted these before.

Turkey vultures, eating a dead banana rat.

ratvultures2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Turkey vultures eating a dead cuban boa.

vuleatsnake by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wow- that landing vulture is pretty great.

Pretty sure that's a red-shouldered hawk.

Jealous of the winter birds all you canuks are seeing!

Red shouldered hawk it is. Profile fooled me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tri-color Heron by torgeaux, on Flickr

Matt's Woodpecker by torgeaux, on Flickr

Bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 16, 2013

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Casu Marzu posted:

I dunno if this is better served in this or the gear thread, but I have just over $1000 to work with and I want a dedicated wildlife lens.

My thoughts are either the Sigma 50-500, Canon 100-400L or the Canon 400 5.6L. I think I'd rather have a zoom over a prime though, since it would be my only lens right now over 50mm.

I am selling my 100-400 in the sell thread. Where are you if in the states, you could borrow it short term to see if you like it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Casu Marzu posted:

That's really tempting. I'm in WI.

I'm in DC. PM me if you want. I'm flexible on price if you want to buy, too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moon Potato posted:

It's the pre-sport OS model. The only thing they changed optically with the recent upgrade was new coatings, which doesn't seem worth the extra $1100 to me.
I got a 1.4X teleconverter with it but haven't tried it out yet. When the weather clears, I'll try it out on the kites and harriers.

I just got the same lens. I've shot some tests with my canon 2x tele and they're fine, especially at f/8. Great, sharp lens, fast focus, but loving heavy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
New bird feeder in the yard. Sudden interest of some yellow warblers. When I setup to shoot, of course they left, so I waited, patiently, for a couple of hours, while reading. No worries. We have some great cardinals, too. This was the best shot I got. Motherfuckers.

Son of a b#tch by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Marshmallow Blue posted:

This is a classic example of Photographer's Law.

Edit: BIRD!

I had this identified in critter quest a year or two ago. A juvenile Coopers Hawk?

Looks like an american kestrel.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moon Potato posted:

Have a great trip. I can't wait to see your gannet and puffin photos... and I hope you have someone to help you carry all of that gear!

An updated trip report on the Sigma 120-300:
The first copy I got was having some annoying issues with the optical stabilization (it was making a lot of loud clicks, and not disengaging when I turned it off), so I exchanged it for another one (B&H was very courteous and quick about it). The new one just came, and is working great.

Someone asked earlier how it performs with teleconverters - here's a 100% crop with a 1.4X converter on at 420mm f/5.6 on a Nikon D90 with no post work:

And the same sparrow singing:

More distant objects were frequently turning out a bit blurry, but I'm pretty sure that's due to my camera's primitive autofocus system getting confused. I'll try it out on a tripod in manual focus mode the next time we get some sunlight up here.

I have the version right before the "Sport" designation. Design is the same, minus one element has an additional Florine coating. Here's some at 300 2.8, 4 and 5.6.

Hes the overexposed spot by torgeaux, on Flickr

Eating by torgeaux, on Flickr

Crop2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
All those exotic beautiful birds. Here, have some contrast.

Unknown Bird Gitmo by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Those of you drooling over the 300 f/2.8 should seriously look at the sigma 120-300 2.8, it's excellent.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I can't ID this one. A heron? In Cuba.

Unidentified Cuban Bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

Turkey Vulture Taking Off by torgeaux, on Flickr

Flying Kestrel by torgeaux, on Flickr

Closer Crop American Kestrel Top of Tree by torgeaux, on Flickr

Bahama Mockingbird by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Maybe this guy Great Lizard Cuckoo

I think this is it! When he flew off, he was definitely shaped like this.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moon Potato posted:

Nice. Kestrels are very small and hard to get close to - I've had difficulty having them take up much of the frame in any of my shots.

The hunting range of several Kestrels is very near me when I'm in Cuba. They're tiny, but if you shoot from a vehicle, they won't spook too badly from power lines/trees. This was probably my best with the 2x teleconverter on. Was guessing on exposure because it was so bright behind it.

Kestrel 600mm by torgeaux, on Flickr

Generally a good bird trip. Nothing exotic, but for the Great Lizard Cuckoo, but some opportunities for common birds in nice light/settings. The helmeted guinea fowl are the toughest, they shy away way more than any other birds.

Ugly Helmeted Guinea Fowl by torgeaux, on Flickr

Good Colors by torgeaux, on Flickr

Getting a Meal by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Stellar Jay. Lots of them at my new place. Finding out what's around here (Evergreen, Colorado, way, way up in the mountains).

Stellar Jay by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, settling in to the new place in Colorado. No real raptor sightings (dense forest around where I live, gonna have to find some better viewing locations). The local birds are very different from northern Virginia.

Stellar's Jays, and they're assholes.

Stellars Jay by torgeaux, on Flickr

Lots of hummingbird action.

Better shot of hummingbird by torgeaux, on Flickr

And, these guys. Lots, and lots, like Hitchcock levels of lots of these guys.

Glaring by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moon Potato posted:

Nice shots! If you're going to shell out for a 400mm lens, it might be worthwhile to get a Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm instead (which sell for around the same price as the cheapest 400mm lenses) and keep the full frame body. You'll get about the same reach as 400mm on a crop sensor and get better high ISO performance and sharpness. Most of what I've posted on here has been with a similar setup (D800 plus Sigma 120-300 with 2X teleconverter), and that's been working out pretty well for me.

I just found out yesterday that my Osprey shot from this summer is featured in the current issue of Outdoor California Magazine. Apparently they didn't notify me or my spam filter ate the notification, so I ended up getting the news from local birders.
osprey-trout by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

What teleconverter do you use?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moon Potato posted:

I'm using Sigma's (not the brand new Global Vision version, but the one before that). I'm sure Nikon and Canon's current teleconverters are as good or better, but I went with Sigma's to keep consistent color rendition while shooting video. Image quality is pretty good out of both the 2X and 1.4X, but I don't think they're weather sealed and there's a little bit of play in the mount of the 2X (although that may have developed over time from countless miles of hiking with a fairly heavy lens and camera on it).

I use a gen one canon 2x and it's OK with my 120-300. Been wondering if it's worth moving to the latest sigma 2x.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
He did not like me walking up to the phone pole he was hunting from. Only had my 85mm with me, so a bit too heavily cropped.

Hawk by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
You guys just don't have the guts to shoot up close with these raptors.

Vanessa by torgeaux, on Flickr

Depth of Focus by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheMirage posted:

Did someone say raptor close ups? Not quite that close.

Vulture Profile by justincook5376, on Flickr

Some others:

Loggerhead Shrike by justincook5376, on Flickr

Sandhill Crane by justincook5376, on Flickr

Pie Billed Grebe by justincook5376, on Flickr

Pie Billed Pair by justincook5376, on Flickr

Nice, but. . . every bird below your raptor is facing and traveling left to right. It's funny the things that you notice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
There's a 400mm 2.8L for sale on keh for $2500. Someone talk me out of it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I have a house with wooden siding, so I hate these drat things. Pretty though. This one, however, is just a goober.

Young Woodpecker Glaring by B. B., on Flickr

Odd Young Woodpecker by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Bird by B. B., on Flickr

Seriously? This isn't a Disney/Pixar bird?
Cartoon Bird by B. B., on Flickr

And this one?

WTF by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Assuming this was taken in the US it's either a Pygmy Nuthatch or Brown-Headed Nuthatch. I'd lean towards Pygmy, but there's no range overlap, so the location it was taken would say for sure. Pygmy is a bird of the west (basically pine forests from the rockies west) and Brown-Headed inhabit mostly pine forest in the southeast from east of Houston to Virginia.

Rocky Mountains, so definitely the Pygmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Hummingbird Series3 by B. B., on Flickr