Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

TL posted:

External occipital protuberance! :eng101:

I used this in conversation once when I was like 10 and my parents thought I was a loving genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Zanael posted:

What's a "go home show" ?

The last weekly show before a PPV. This weeks Raw, ECW and Smackdown are all go home shows for Summerslam.

Edit: Beaten like Rhaka

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Axissillian posted:

Edge, Christian, Chris Jericho, Tyson Kidd, DH Smith, Natalya, Gail Kim - $0

Ted DiBiase, Cody Rhodes - Priceless

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I was watching a match involving the Motor City Machineguns from an impact that was a couple weeks old I think and I noticed one of them took a fall pretty hard and immediately starting pulling his kneepad off frantically.

I remember watching another episode of the show where another guy had done something similar - is this for effect to sell the fall or is this a legitimate signal that they've injured themselves?

I've seen this a few times and it's usually to sell an injury. I know the match you're talking about and he seemed fine after the match. Jericho did this on Smackdown a couple months back and the GDT lit up like a Christmas tree in concern.

The signal for a legit injury is the ref making an X over his head with his arms. Easy to see on Raw, harder on Impact since they have monkeys editing, and drat near impossible to find on Smackdown.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Gorilla Monsoon used to call it a Snapmare all the time. I'm going with Gorilla.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

But they broke up one year after Demolition beat them for the titles. If anything, it was Tully & Arn that kicked their asses too hard that night.

Nope. It was Tito's fault. :colbert:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

I want to watch some old ECW. What are some classic matches I should watch today?

Taz vs Bam Bam Bigelow at Heatwave 98

Tajiri vs Psicosis

Any Tajiri vs Super Crazy match

Born to Be Wired is good for what it was.

The triple threat and resulting Title match from Barely Legal

RVD vs Jerry Lynn

And the Dreamer vs C.W. Anderson I Quit match from the last PPV is quite good as well.

And Dudleys vs Balls Mahoney and Spike Dudley was an awesome hardcore match even before the flaming table spot.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

apsouthern posted:

Exploding Anus Death Match

Just want to reiterate that this is not made up and was actually enforced. I'm a huge Hayabusa mark but God the H poo poo was heinous.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

I remember Zach Arnold reporting on this when it was announced. For years I have referenced it but I am glad I never, ever saw it.

The silly thing is it was part of a loving awesome multi-year feud that FMW was famous for. Check it:

Hayabusa and Mr. Gannosuke train together, are good friends, and develop a rivalry that turns amazingly hostile. After Hayabusa wins a particularly grueling and (non death)match, he tells Gannosuke to stop being a silly human being and extends his hand in friendship. Gannosuke fakes him out and puts the boots to him. That poo poo happens all the time here but people lose their minds in Japan about it because of their beliefs in honor.

They have another match and 'Busa goes over again clean with a Falcon Arrow in the middle of the ring. He is presented flowers in the victory ceremony. The person presenting said flowers, however, is in cahoots with Gannosuke and smashes the vase over 'Busa's head. They then strip him naked and drag him around the ring with a chain and a dog collar.

This is where it gets amazing.

Haybusa snaps, sheds his persona and becomes H. He loses his mask and trades in his Sabu pants for daisy duke shorts and a big loving falcon-like tattoo on his upper chest. Mr. Gannosuke then proceeds to steal H's old gimmick, becoming Hayabusa and claiming he has been the whole time. Same mask, same outfit, same ring music.

H goes loving bonkers and challenges Gannosuke to the aforementioned Anal Explosion match. The winner is determined when a bottle rocket is placed between your opponents rear end cheeks, is lit, and explodes. H loses and receives the rectal ramifications. All the propellant explodes out the back of the rocket, so while it probably didn't feel all that great, it was safe and a lot less gruesome than you're thinking.

A few weeks after this H and Gannosuke now brawl through the crowd where H goes bonkers and starts bodyslamming fans onto chairs and throwing haymakers at anyone near. Apparently getting punched by a wrestler is an honor in Japan so he didn't get his dick sued stiff. At least that's what Mick Foley says.

The blow off is a Match between H and Gannosuke with Shawn Motherfucking Michaels as the special guest referee. H wins, and after the match, Gannosuke does what he should have done in the first place and finally shakes his hand. HBK then cuts a promo about how FMW will be the #1 promotion in years to come because of the talent and sportsmanship. They were out of business a few years later and the head booker hung himself.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The Figure Four is painful as poo poo no matter how it's done. Your shin feels like it's going to snap at any moment. The Boston Crab is uncomfortable but not really painful unless someone is torquing the poo poo out of you. Same with the Sharpshooter.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, a lot of guys here had a huge hard-on for Ziggler up until that very promo. It was so bad it defies description.

I thought Ziggler sucked the whole time so I was pretty :smug: about the whole thing.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Volcano Style posted:

What do you think makes a good attire, and what makes an attire look 'strictly indy?' I'm mainly asking because I've started attending indy shows on a regular basis again, and I overheard a conversation from two guys arguing about pleather tights, since one guy thought they looked cheap and nasty and only indy nobodies wear them whereas the other guy prefered them to trunks and more standard tights.

Good attire: Dryan Banielson. Baniel Dryan. Whatever. One sold color, makes him look serious and it's become a trademark look. Pretty much anyone in the WWE has their poo poo designed for them and it all looks pretty good.

Indy as gently caress and looks like garbage: Mike Quackenbush. Most indy-looking motherfucker in the planet.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

IndiestAsFuck.jpg

*has 6 belts*
*realizes none of them are worth a gently caress*
*buys more pajama pants*

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

That photo makes Mike Quackenbush look like he is portraying the greatest indy heel ever. No babyface could possibly do that.

I don't watch Chikara at all but he is a face right? Because every time I see him, he just screams pretentious douchebag.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

I hate to keep up with Million Dollar Man (sorry, waxing nostalgic lately), but after all this time he still has the best entrance music. Also, I never realized how much he sounds like Jeff Bridges.

My last question regarding him: Has Jr. used the Million Dollar Dream at all in the WWE, even as a 1 time thing? I'm hoping he wins at WM with it.

His finisher is the Million Dollar Dream into a slam, so he technically uses it as a finisher. Partially.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

Another question. McMahon hating Savage. Is that Stef w/ Mach rumor the reason? Have either addressed it?

Totally. There's video to prove it, but it's been destroyed. I will tell you this: Macho throws dick like he drops elbows. Stiff and to the face.

No, goddammit, it isn't true at all.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Theshby posted:

The Sheepherders (Bushwackers) and Invader I & Invader III had one on the 21st of September 1985 in Peurto Rico, but I'm sure there must be some earlier than that. They just wrapped the ropes rather than replacing them completely.

All wire matches in the state were done with wrapped ropes until Japan started taking the ropes down and replacing them with wire.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Fucken_Gieux posted:

The Fabulous Rougeaus fit that description.

Nuh uh. Their gimmick was obviously fake patriotism while purposefully loving up facts about America. The part in French in their entrance music actually admits they're huge trolls and hate Americans. They were heels from the start.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Burrito posted:

Weren't they presenting something at a college or something and that's all he could come up with?

They did a presentation at MIT and he drew that on the blackboard I think. it was after the comic came out so I don't think it was created for the presentation.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Good Listener posted:

So a question popped up today between my brother and I, and I figured I would ask the board. Being not up on my puroresu, I have to ask what the current situation is involving crazy match types. Back in the day I remember exploding barb wire fire etc type matches but are those still prevalent? Or are they more at home in the Japanese equivalent of CZW type promotions?

These batshit insane matches came mainly out of two organizations, FMW and IWA, both of which are now defunct. I don't follow puro but I think they've gravitated more toward the CZW type of deathmatch, which is a shame. I used to love me some FMW back in the day because they were so loving insane.

Cactus Jack smashing W*ING Kanemura with a car window? Yes please.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

There is also a long history of NFL players doing pro wrestling during the off season. Ernie Ladd is probably the most famous as he ended up being a huge star in professional wrestling and ended up doing it full time.

Nevermind that poo poo...

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

Would someone step through for me the traditional chronological order of a wrestling match? What exactly is the shine, how can I tell when it starts, and all the other stuff (shine is the only term I know by name)? I don't hear too many people talk about it here much, but it pops up every once and a while and I'm curious about it.

CSammich nailed it, but to use wrestling terms, when the babyface is in control thats the shine. When the heel in in control, that's heat.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5RFVIEOUlA

Piper was the face in the Bad News feud. Pop when he comes out, little pop when he takes of the kilt, pretty loving big pop when he takes off his shirt to reveal he's totally half black and starts to dance.

The best thing to come out of it was the fact that Andre hosed with the solution to remove the paint. Piper was stuck like that for like two weeks IIRC.

Fakeedit: Also, the promo Piper cut at WM VI was loving hysterical. No racial poo poo, just basically calling Bad News an ugly motherfucker in the funniest way possible. I think they knew the match was going to suck a dick and wanted to do something memorable.

Critical fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 23, 2011

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I remember a story about a hockey player who was brought in to ref a match, and when he asked how to pull a punch, the match participants snickered and told him not to worry about it. I want to say it was Saggs of the Nasty Boys.

So when the time for the spot comes, the guys pulls Saggs' shirt over his head and lays three vicious uppercuts into him, drat near knocking him the gently caress out cold.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

loving whippersnappers.

WWF @ Boston, MA - Boston Garden - June 3, 1989 (12,000)
The final Boston Garden show televised on NESN - featured Tony Schiavone & Lord Alfred Hayes on commentary:
Prime Time Wrestling - 6/12/89: Tim Horner pinned Barry Horowitz at 11:55 with a reverse roll up into a bridge
The Warlord (w/ Mr. Fuji) pinned Jim Neidhart at 4:35 with a clothesline to the back of the head as Neidhart was distracted by Fuji on the floor
Dusty Rhodes (sub. for Jake Roberts) pinned Ted Dibiase (w/ Virgil) at 8:30 with a roll up after Dibiase collided with Virgil on the ring apron
Paul Roma pinned Boris Zhukov with a powerslam at 11:36
Randy Savage (w/ Sensational Sherri) defeated WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan via count-out at 12:56 after ramming Hogan into the steel barricade on the floor after Hogan became distracted by Sherri; after the match, Savage and Sherri celebrated in the ring and Savage strapped the title belt around his waist until Hogan cleared him from the ring, reclaiming possession of the belt, and then knocked Sherri to the floor with an atomic drop (Hulk Hogan: The Unreleased Archives)
Bret Hart fought Mr. Perfect to a time-limit draw at 18:53; after the bout, Hart grabbed the microphone and challenged Perfect for 5 more minutes; moments later, Perfect slid back in the ring and assaulted Hart from behind but was eventually crotched on the top rope and knocked to the floor
Dino Bravo pinned Hercules at 8:42 by holding onto the ropes for leverage as Herc attempted a sunset flip into the ring; after the bout, Hercules applied the full nelson on Bravo
WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition defeated the Big Bossman & Akeem at 10:33 when Ax pinned Bossman after Akeem accidentally hit his partner; after the bout, the Twin Towers argued with one another; Ron Garvin was the guest referee for the match

This was when I freaked out during Hogan's match (I despised loud noises as a kid and the crowd went loving nuclear) and Dibiase was wandering by after his match and checked on me. :3:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Last time I remember blood purposely being used was Flair bleeding after getting his rear end beat by Jericho on Raw in the lead-up to WM 25. Whether he actually had to blade or not is up for discussion.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

I've been watching a lot of Botchamania and I love the segments where people are being interviewed about (in)famous moments that they were involved in. I've only seen two or three so far. Are there any great ones I should find?

James Mitchell's story about almost blowing his hand apart while in ECW is pretty great. Includes the best Sandman impression you will ever hear.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

El Duke Silver posted:

isn't this also the story where Triple H is on crutches or something too?

I think so. Sanders snubs him, Trips gets up and hobbles over to him and shakes his hand to make a point. Then Raven tells Sanders to pretty much put his head between his legs and kiss his rear end goodbye.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Kevin Thorn was the shittiest vampire. No one would be into that.

Thorn was actually amusing at house shows. The WWECW one I went to had a fan lift his shirt to show Thorn a cross tattoo on his back, and Thorn sold it like death incarnate. He was facing Punk and Punk was obviously trying not to lose his poo poo in the ring.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Perigryn posted:

Well, this has some of the less common technical ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPLVde3ImfU

As for the others:

victory roll: the person perfoming the move jumps onto the other guy's shoulders, rolls forward while hooking his legs under the opponent's arms

schoolboy/girl: see any Diva match.

sunset flip: often done as a counter to a back body drop, the user dives over the opponent whose head is down, grabbing him by the waist with both arms and rolls. Can be done off the top rope.

Oklahoma Roll: like a sunset flip done from the side.

La Magistral/La Casita: grab opponent's left arm from the side, swing right leg over to hook it and roll forward like the Oklahoma roll.
A couple more that aren't really roll ups but are pretty cool:

Backslide: Stand back to back with opponent, hook arms together, kneel down and bend over trying to pin their shoulders. I don't think this has ever been used successfully.

Crucifix: From behind grab an arm, jump up and wrap legs around their other arm and use leverage to fall back and pivot them over your body so their shoulders are down. Awesome looking pin that's used very rarely.

Critical fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 17, 2012

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

fatherdog posted:

iirc Rotten has Hep C, so cutting the match short would probably be doing Pete a favor.

Quoting this because doing a Tai Pei Death Match with Ian loving Rotten is one of the dumbest ideas ever.

I remember seeing a pic of the original between Axl and Ian in an old dirtsheet when I was in middle school and freaking out. They used broken glass and it was real? Holy poo poo! Then I saw the match years later and it sucked a dick. This is not going to be any better in front of like 10 people and he's going to get an incurable disease on top of it so I hope it's worth the extra $50.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

Here's a question:

Is there anything more fun than playing WWE '13 and just beating the poo poo out of Billy Gunn for hours on end?

Watching created video game characters played by the computer beat the poo poo out of each other for hours on end.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The Muta scale should have been replaced with the Guerrero scale after that match.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

An Actual Bear posted:

One of Jim Cornette's, don't remember which but it was a pretty hilarious story. Might have been his YouShoot?

Yeah it was his YouShoot. The guy tried to tackle Hercules during his entrance and they brought him backstage to detain him. Herc walked back through the curtain after his match and slapped the guy so hard he flew backwards into the wall and dropped like a sack of poo poo, totally knocked out. Cornette said he was surprised it was just a slap and Herc said "Jim, if you punch someone you could really hurt them!" and then stepped over the unconscious guy.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

One of the members of Legacy did it to Shawn Michaels during the DX feud and made him tap clean with it.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

As a rule, if you're entertaining, your faults are ignored. Go re-read the Benoit murder-suicide thread and see how many people insist Chris couldn't have possibly done anything wrong even after the death timeline came out showing the order was Nancy, Daniel, Chris.

The Benoit Raw thread is particularly interesting, because the last half of the thread has most of the information starting to leak and people slowly realizing what happened, while a few people basically stuck their fingers in their ears and went LA-LA-LA-LA-LA and commented on the matches on Raw.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Theshby posted:

I know the broad brush strokes of Pillman's loose cannon schtick, but I'm fuzzy about what he did exactly in WCW to get across the persona. I know about the "booker man" thing & the sneaking up on Heenan before that, but my impression is that he'd already got himself a rep for being "legitimately" unpredictable before these things occurred. What did he do exactly?

As far as I know he pretty much worked everyone in the locker room with outlandish behavior. Someone accused him of being on coke so he put powered sugar from a donut under his nose and hit someone up for cash. Foley tells a story about being in ECW, watching someone get hit with a singapore cane shot and running around the locker room screaming "CALL 911! CALL 911! OH JESUS HE'S HURT!" Everyone was acutely uncomfortable and Pillman dropped Mick a wink to show he was working them.

Then he played Bischoff like a fiddle with the "firing" angle: To push his loose canon persona, Bischoff "fired" him. Pillman pushed for an actual release to be drawn up, claming the boys in the back and the dirtsheets would get a hold of it to make it even more "real." Bischoff agreed and had the office draw up a very real and legally binding release from his contract. Pillman used it to sign a very lucrative contract with the WWF days later.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Claytor posted:

This was actually something Jericho did at an indy promotion near the start of his career.

[quote]Foley tells a story about being in ECW, watching someone get hit with a singapore cane shot and running around the locker room screaming "CALL 911! CALL 911! OH JESUS HE'S HURT!" Everyone was acutely uncomfortable and Pillman dropped Mick a wink to show he was working them.

Pretty sure this was a story from Jericho's autobiography as well, with him as the one who got the wink.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I got all my biographies confucked.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Supposedly Snow legit got mad at Foley for a while because he felt Foley took it too far, but I'm pretty sure they're cool now.

The story about this is hysterical in itself.

Apparently Snow is in a hardcore match with someone. May have been Blackman. Anyway, he takes a monster chairshot at the end of the match, stands back up and no-sells it. Turns out the chairshot knocked his dick stiff and he remembers nothing after the impact. Regardless he gets into a shitload of heat backstage for no-selling a chairshot to the goddamn skull and after a shitload of ribbing to the boys he asks Mick not to mention it anymore since he already has enough heat on him about it. Mick agrees.

A few weeks later Mick is doing a promo on some show or another and congratulates Snow on "getting an ad deal with Lay-Z-Boy, which is odd since he usually doesn't sell chairs." Snow responds to that by ruining an entire commentary segment insulting Mankind on the mic apropos of nothing since they didn't have a storyline feud going on at the time. Vince hates it and now Snow has even MORE heat on him than he did to begin with. They fleshed it out soon after though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Favorite commentary moment is by Jesse Ventura. Twin Towers vs Rockers at WM5. Shawn is in the ring and Akeem gets the tag, throws a clothesline which Michaels ducks. Akeem turns around and lariats him into a twitching husk on the canvas. Ventura just deadpans "I believe he irritated Akeem." Gets me every time I hear it.

Also when Jesse never failed to call Joey Marella an idiot when he was officiating since he was Gorilla's son.

I still use the phrase External Occipital Protuberance whenever possible.

"What the hell is that Gorilla?" "That's the back of the head, Jess." "Then why don't you just call it that?"