Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

"37 new posts in this thread? Dorkroom's blowing up! Must be something good..."

My life is now demonstrably worse for knowing that subforum, thread, and some of the posters in that thread exist. Thanks, chums!

Haha!

I felt the same. Wow the Dorkroom is overflowing must be a new camera announced or something...

:negative: Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

[...]

Still it is pretty depressing how low people's opinion of the photog is in general...
Tell me about it!
I'm a designer (my job) and a hobby photographer. Both suffer from the same attrition and absolutely hilarious distorted perception of what it is that you're actually doing.
I'm constantly confronted with this attitude and have to defend my "value" to clients. Sorry sir, no, I'm not just a trained monkey who can use Photoshop...

Being a good photographer, their perspective:
-Read one (1) book about the technical "stuff"
-Buy most expensive camera in shop
-Buy most expensive lens in shop

Voila! Your images (of your cat) have suddenly become incredible!
See? No effort, at all. Just money, man!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Don't have anything to add really, but:

If you still had any trust in this man's judgement, digest this:
Dorkroom darling Ken Rockwell uses tripods (in bright daylight) and filter protectors. :laugh:

I don't use no stinking tripods.
Nor "UV" filter protectors.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

guidoanselmi posted:

So I'm very seriously contemplating going to Japan in March.

Anyone have any experiences camera shopping in Shinjuku in Tokyo? I'm looking to just take my digital and a bunch of film only to buy a rangefinder the first day there. :cool:

Hit me up when you get there.
I know some nice places to shop for used cameras in Shinjuku and surrounds. (Map Camera, Lucky Camera, Sofmap [with reservations]...) I can also help you you out with some Japanese, and maybe we can arrange a photo tour or something and have a cool beer.

Let me know: hello at manuelvandyck.com

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ZoCrowes posted:

I honestly have no idea. I know the "kkor" is what refers to optics but I don't know where the "Ro" comes from. I don't speak a lick of Japanese so I can't take a guess either.

"Ro" by itself would stand for hearth, fireplace...maybe furnace too etc. But I have my doubts that this is what's meant. I guess it's an abbreviation for another Ro- word, just like Ni- in "Nikkor" was an abbreviation for "Nippon".
So unless we find that out it'll just be a guessing game.

Edit: Aaand I was way off and beaten by proper research. :downs:

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 26, 2011

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I actually enjoy pointlessly torturing my computer:

Windows 3.11 for workgroups, Adobe Photoshop 2.5: Processing a 16.2MPixel file

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

brad industry posted:

By using an image they do have the rights to exploit commercially, and not one their lazy designers googled?

It doesn't matter if you think it's a generic image, clearly if Gap is willing to put it on a t-shirt it has value.

This, working as a designer with my previous company, we refused to work with clients that either didn't us give access to their stock photo library, or at least allocated some budget for us to purchase some.

Most of our larger clients actually had huge libraries of stock photos, though. The progress of getting the actual hi-res photo out of them is head-ache inducing, but not really part of this discussion.
So, I must say I'm surprised GAP doesn't seem to have such a library at ready.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Martytoof posted:

I'm now 100% sure that Pentax is just trolling us

When I see that, I have to imagine it has all kinds of cool and whacky shutter sound effects, that you can select to entertain the subject.

Chose from all time favorites like: BAZOW!, CUKOOO!, UFO landing and "Who's your daddy?"
Or, even use your own ringtones from PentaxK.com!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

poopinmymouth posted:

Maybe, but I talked to my dealer today, and he said Amazon put the pre order up today, and after 6 hours, Fuji HQ asked them to take it down because they had already gotten 180 pre orders. He said he isn't sure how many will make it to America for the first round out of the factory. I told him I would pay the entirety right now and I could hear the dollar signs appear in his eyes as he paused before saying, "I think that could be arranged".

I WILL have one of the firsts. If there wasn't a 350 dollar markup in Japan, and I didn't have a free way to get it in from the US without shipping or VAT, I would order from there because it's supposed to drop in Japan on March 5.

PIMM if you are interested in obtaining a japanese model, why dont you shoot me a mail if your local dealer wont work out. I am sure we can arrange something. Mail is: manuel.der.kater at geemeru dot com.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

psylent posted:

I'm going to Japan in late March, I have no need for an X100 but maaaaaaan do I want one. I'm putting any cash I earn from photography aside to pay for a 5D MK 2 and I'm at the $1000 mark right now. That cash could easily disappear.
You, too -- feel free to hit me up when/before you get there. Know a nice place or two..
Mail address is on the previous page.

poopinmymouth posted:

lol, do you mean gmail ? I tried sending to geemeru before I "got it" and it bounced back. :-)
Yup. That's what I meant. Sorry I was feeling like being funny today. :)
Glad you made it.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Paragon8 posted:

Also the importance of using a long focal length!

Yeah I think most of all this.
I occasionally see the picture linked here where a photographer basically tried any focal length he could get his hands on, on a relatively good looking model. As the focal length got wider and wider the model went from hmm she looks good to "eugh!" pretty quickly. Features became distorted she gained a huge forehead and just a generally unflattering appearance. And that was with makeup and good light.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

I can't really comprehend - what's the point of this?

As I see it, you don't get any of the medium format pros (the medium-format look, reduced depth of field, definition & tonality) but all of the cons (slow lenses by 35mm standards, lower absolute sharpness, huge and heavy). It just seems like a completely pointless exercise to me, even if you had the appropriate medium-format lenses and $50 lying around already.

Anyone enlighten me?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Helmacron posted:

I used to think when some poo poo went down, like Jason got punched in the face by Rhys and Rhys got hauled off and when he gets back everyone crowds around and is like "rhys, rhys man, what went down!" and Rhys says "I don't want to talk about it." that this was the most boring thing in the world.

Worse than Lord of the Rings or people complaining about the Jews.

But now I know the guy who throws his hands up and shrugs and says wide-eyed "what did I do? I don't even know what I did! It's so crazy! I just don't get it!" is it. He's the guy. He's the one you need to avoid. The first guy, he'll open up down the track, keep him around! and he'll cry (probably drunk) and you'll be moved when he tells you about Snowden and how cold Snowden was and how pale Snowden was and how wet the floor around Snowden was.

But the second guy. Oh, he's going to tell you some really lovely stories about things he doesn't quite get. Jews for instance.

Who is Spain?
Why is Snowden?
When is right?

Balls!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

rio posted:

Manual primes are more fun for something like this in my opinion. More of a stamp from the user.

Yeah I agree.

I'd actually even prefer a meterless camera for the same reason. The less the camera dictates - the more we crystallize what different people can coax out of the very same tool.

I'm in BTW, even though shipping costs might get expensive.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

xzzy posted:

It's a Kodak Retina IIa with a Xenon lens, a family heirloom deal (bought by grandpa, has been handed down and is currently in the hands of my sister). She was taking pictures of my other sister's wedding with it, and I got to play with it a little bit. It was pretty cool to have solid metal components used to set up an exposure, though focusing was no fun at all.

Like Paul MaudDib already stated it probably needs a CLA. But other than that it's quite a neat camera.

The lens is a double Gauss six element design, dating back to 1954, making it a postwar design - thus likely to be coated. It's a shrunk and improved Xenotar design (think Rolleiflex) - and everyone has their panties up in a bunch about those - so yeah this is a good lens.

My only worry, this being a folding camera, would be whether the front-standard is completely level to the film plane. Because, if it is not - all the resolving power will be wasted.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

McMadCow posted:

What kind of a sellout do you think I am? I make my own coffee at home in a French press from beans I grew and roasted myself. Going out to a coffee shop takes away the experience of really making coffee with your hands.

And getting better at it is nice too, as opposed to pictures you can taste the progress.
Actually you can taste it sometimes with photography, too.

Or: Ask me how you should never put used developer into PET bottles which you plan to dispose of later.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Pack it up Nikonailures, Canon is the Christ of photography.

Huh?
This just means "the dog chewed on it" is still within acceptable quality parameters for Canon QA.
Par for the course.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

8th-samurai posted:

But how is the barkeh?

I hear it's pretty ruff.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

HPL posted:

Metered f/2.8 Rolleis are pretty expensive though, if that's what it is.

It's not.
It's it's fugly brother - the Rolleiflex T. Which Rollei made to appeal the mass market.
Apparently Vivian Maier used one though, so resale value went through the roof.

Never mind that they are inferior in both operation and construction quality to a humble Tessar equipped Rolleiflex Automat, which can be had for 1/3rd of the Ebay asking price a T-model now brings. They rely on a plastic "belt" system to drive both shutter speed and aperture selectors. If that belt breaks, slips or grows loose - good luck finding a new one.

I will leave the conclusion, as to what that says about most people's ability to chose their gear, to the dear reader.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 15, 2013

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I urge everyone to read this editorial article on photography, the web, and the curatorial work of photography. It's brilliant.

Google's macchia.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Am I to late too hop on this train?
I blame time-zones.

Also appropriately, for the topic at hand I just finished laying out the sawing pattern for my wooden pinhole camera. :getin:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Atticus_1354 posted:

You got plans you can share or at least pictures? I wouldn't mind a weekend project that I would maybe get some use out of.

I'm at work now so I can't post my stuff. But it's not that custom anyway.

I basically was inspired by this. I already have a normal "flat film" pinhole, so I wanted to try something new.
Dunno how it will work out, as I tried to reduce his approach to be less involved as I'm not good with powertools.

http://www.diyphotography.net/building-a-beautiful-wooden-anamorphic-pinhole-camera

EDIT: I'm going medium format, as I went 35mm for the first camera, and coming up with a usable film rewind mechanism was a huge pain in the neck.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

William T. Hornaday posted:

Watch this and you may actually faint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI

The first time I saw it, I had to take a break midway through because I was on the verge of a panic attack.

Urghh... that made my palms and forehead all sweaty, by watching a video... and I'm not even that scared of heights.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
This looks about what I expected from Mr. Ive. Take that however you will. Maybe a bit cutesy for something that should say "photographic purity bitches!", but okay.

But what strikes me is that it's immediately apparent -- Johny never used a real camera for any length of time; or at least not outside out of 'P'rofessional mode. The shutter has been mentioned, also the shutter speed dial. But I think what is the coup de grāce is that the mode / on-off switch is located around the shutter button; and it's recessed, too. So every-time you change the mode there is a chance that you will take a picture of whatever in the process as well.

Also it looks like it would be annoying to hold.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Awkward Davies posted:

Yeah, there's no way you take that camera out on an even semi regular basis. That poo poo sits on your shelf and your friends secretly know what it is and hate you, or all have one themselves.

To my knowledge there's only going to be one. (Not that, this invalidates your argument, but yeah...)

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
God drat, ban this sick filth rodent!

Sorry to hear about your gear man, but have to second dukeku. Is that a sock I see there, among other... things? Yuck.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Helmacron posted:

I wouldn't hire you.

Once bitten, twice shy. Don't blame you.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

Speaking of printing, what colour calibration tools are people using on their laptops/LED monitors?

I bought an xRite i1DisplayPro (Who comes up with these shittastic names, really?) and love it to pieces. Works fine with LED displays, such as my wide gamut Asus thing whose horrible name I've forgotten again, my MacBooks and iMac. Everything is in synch now and it's glorious. It was about $200 and comes with its own software for OS X and Windows. The device itself acts as a dongle for the software so you can install it on as many machines as you'd like.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Guess I'll also drop this here, like a brick. Completely unrelated. Don't probate me SM!

Basically thing is, I have not one ... but two exhibitions upcoming:

Number one, at Totem Pole Gallery, Yoyogi
and...
Number two, at 3rd District, Shinjuku

I guess what I'm saying is, that if you are in the Tokyo area around 24.01.2014 - 16.02.2014 feel free to swing by.
Yeah, I know the second one's URL and poo poo is weird. Also the title is "Un Places", photographers be bad at web stuff yo!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Please, have some civility. This isn't GBS. I'm at work and hung over here. Almost lost my breakfast...

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I almost said Alkanphel but I double-checked his flickr and he's got a lot of stuff that doesn't look like his usual stuff so I didn't but I don't disagree. I don't know who sludgetank is. Also I can't remember who takes the loving amazing photos of zoo animals but add that person too because I've never seen wildlife photography like theirs.

William Hornady or something similar, sorry for not getting your name right.

Also seconding deaders, go to photo exhibitions! As many as you can. Also if it's a small venue/unknown artist. Talk to them!!! And no gear-chat. Gear-chat is fine to break the ice, but you wanna ask them other stuff. Like which photos they like most, why, how they think of this show etc.? Much more interesting.

Photobooks are nice, but I find them sometimes to be a bit confining, for the lack of a better word. It's just their best strung together at times. Sometimes that relentless perfection becomes boring to me. I'm curious about the pictures that made them (or us) go "hmm.", too.

Keeping that in mind, ultimately you should be taking photos only for yourself. That doesn't mean you should reject outside ideas, influences or suggestions for improvement, but if your pictures do not please yourself -- change something. If you're not shooting for yourself but for an audience or other perceived goals, and are not or -- do not want to become a professional photographer I'd sincerely suggest you try something besides photography.

Rilke said it best in his letters to a young poet, if I could make you stop writing and you feel as you would die -- write. If not, maybe you should pursue something else that will give you this sensation.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

His whole "45 artists proofs" is really shady, all 995 prints are identical, and he wonders why the art world ignores him.

Well he's artist proof, or rather art proof so I guess the naming is kind of apt. Well, I guess he could turn out to be gay, increasing the chance that there's some small part of an artist in him, but otherwise ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Pukestain Pal posted:

oh man, just wait until people find out Patrick Joust is white.

Your point being?

Patrick Joust seems like a cool guy from the interviews and my brief interactions with him.
He also doesn't whitewash his photography as "humanising portrait of a city and its citizenry" or any poo poo like that.