Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Enigmatic Cardboard posted:

I'll look into it!

Anyone have any other suggestions?

If you have a PS3, Demon's Souls might be good for you. On that note, I'd love any recommendations people have for PC games that are as similar as possible to Demon's Souls :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

d3c0y2 posted:

Trying to find more games like Evil Genius, Dungeon Keeper 2, Startopia, Dwarven Fortress and Clonks. Basically base simulator games, or city building games, but of a smaller level than the vast games like SimCity and Anno.

Majesty 2 might be right up your alley - you run a fantasy kingdom purely by building buildings.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

d3c0y2 posted:

Fyi this is right up my alley after playing for a bit, thank you so much.

Glad I could help :)

The first couple of Settlers game are also fun hands-off city-building games, but from what I heard the newer entries in the series kind of went off that particular set of rails.

The second games is on GOG.com though it may have aged a bit too much graphically.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

My requirements are going to be a bit specific so I won't be surprised if there are few/no games matching my criteria:

I'm looking for a scifi space exploration/rpg styled game with a lot of character interaction and a decent story. However, it must:
-be on PC or 360 (yeah right)
-involve some ship/character customization
-be single player
-have the player managing a crewed vessel (no one man fighters)

Do not suggest (all good games but not exactly what I'm looking for:)
-Mass Effect
-EV: Nova
-Freelancer

Basically something that juggles a decent plot/characters with gameplay somewhat similar to Star Trek: Online.

This might be a long shot, but the free remake of Star Control 2 has all those things. It's pretty old but still one of the best games ever made in my opinion.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MrBims posted:

The World Ends With You and Strange Journey are solid JRPGs, with TWEWY focusing more on active combat and story-telling, and Strange Journey being more of a Pokemon-like dungeon crawler with a bit of a difficulty curve that can be frustrating without an occasional look at a walkthrough.

If you're mentioning Strange Journey, Devil Survivor should also be on the list. I found it a lot more enjoyable.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the experience you get out of System Shock 2 is to me at least in no way related to that of Dead Space. System Shock 2 is exploration and mystery, Dead Space is schlock horror.

The closest I've experienced has been the original STALKER: resource scarcity, uncertainty about the world and the enemies within it, mysterious goings-on... That said, it's also dissimilar enough that I wouldn't recommend it purely on a person having enjoyed System Shock 2.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jetsetlemming posted:

I want a game whose primary reward mechanism for progress is looking at cool, atmospheric environment art. Games like The Void on PC, where as you progress you unlock new nodes on the world map that you're allowed to enter, or Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on the Wii, which has very basic gameplay which serves purely as something to occupy your time as you progress through the neat environments. I have all platforms except 360 and PSP.

Given that you've got a PS3, have you tried Flower? Also the Uncharted games have great scenery as a secondary reward for progressing through them.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

doctor iono posted:

If you haven't played it yet, I'd say that Shadow of the Colossus is a rewarding experience primarily because all of the environments you explore, and the colossi themselves are visually beautiful, too.

I couldn't finish that game - the colossi were too beautiful and majestic to kill.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cholfo posted:

Etrian Oddyssey is okay, but I tend to avoid Atlus games because I'm pretty sure they literally hate their players. I'll give Strange Journey and Class of Heroes a shot, I'm a real sucker for Wizardry clones. I also got ahold of Demise and Mordor this morning, but haven't had a chance to play them yet, hoping for good things.

I strongly recommend trying Devil Survivor first. It has an interesting plot, and barring 2 tricky bosses has a nice level of challenge that never really slips into frustration territory. Also no grinding necessary.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Schweinhund posted:

I asked this before but didn't get any suggestions. I really liked the game The Last Express. Are there any games that are similar to that in any way? Basically I guess I'm looking for as many of these qualities as possible:

movie-like linear story
adventure
traditional lead character as opposed to a Duke Nukem type or cartoon character
immersive story/environment
exotic and/or historic setting (Europe in the 1910's)
not too difficult (more puzzle based rather than jumping over pits or trying to out shoot people over and over)

?

I don't follow games so no suggestion is too obvious.

You might really enjoy The Longest Journey. It's a great adventure game, with beautiful atmosphere and one of the better stories in computer games.

It's up on gog.com

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Cool, just noticed there is a 360 version I might check it out.
No, don't! It's an awful, awful port. It chugs, is full of bugs and the 360 hardware just can't handle it. Get it on PC or skip it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chapel posted:

I loved Sins of a Solar Empire (+xpacs). I'm looking for a real time 4X, space or fantasy preferred; came out in the last decade preferred.

Probably going to check out Anno 1404, but sounds like it lacks the SPACE or HURRMAGIC feel I want. I want to check out Rise of Legends, too. Is that pretty much it?

Look no further than AI wars. The pacing and resource model are very similar, and they just updated their engine.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Double Deux posted:

I'm a fan of experimental, abstract, and disturbing games. Would love to find something similar to silent hill or LSD dream simulator.

The Void! Have a look at the excellent LP for it :
http://lparchive.org/The-Void/

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Double Deux posted:

Exactly the type of game I was looking for, but sadly I've already played it AND watched that LP.
In that case you're probably also aware of Icepick Lodge's new game? http://store.steampowered.com/app/41740/

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something I'm sort of been looking for: Are there any good realistic shooters out there that AREN'T military shooters? I've got the STALKER series and that seems to be it as far as I can tell. I like the style of game where bullets are actually dangerous rather than mild annoyances, but you have to aim while accounting for the actual ballistic properties of the weapon rather than just having bullets instantly hit whatever you're pointing at. I like realism in shooters but I'm just tired of all that "OSCAR MIKE! HOO-RAH!" crap.

Red Orchestra is basically a multiplayer version of this.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Found Sound posted:

Awesome, I never did get around to NWN2. Thanks!

Skip the base game though.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dark Paw Bear posted:

Good suggestion! Sadly, she was about halfway through the game before it crashed and did not save. So she did not want to do it all over and stopped playing for now :( I felt so bad

Try her on portal 1 first IMO, it has even less dexterity stuff as I remember it, and it checkpoints after you beat each level. Also it's more cleanly puzzle-based in the beginning at least.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beedeebee posted:

It's not that I'm afraid that I don't have self control. I just have limited time. At the moment, I hop on my PS3, play some games and then turn it off. It's been ages since I've played for more than 1 hour at a time. So I don't know, I'm just afraid that I'll only scratch the surface of Skyrim, and stay a level 4 character or w/e for ages just because I can't/won't play for days at a time.

But I'll probably pick it up, because gently caress it, why not try it?

Your mileage may of course vary but Skyrim for me has been a perfect kind of pick up and play for brief sessions game, because the way the game is structured, every dungeon has its own little story associated with it. It's basically a huge world populated with many, many tiny vignettes. I would just start the game, check my quest log or wander into the wilderness, do maybe one or two dungeons and be done again for the day.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Dapper Walrus posted:

I'd like a recommendation for a DS game. Something like Harvest Moon or maybe an RPG, with a good bit of customization or something that lends itself toward replayability.

Devil Survivor 2 (slightly better than 1 in my opinion) might be a good idea. There's also The World Ends With You.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Bastard posted:

I admittedly have a bit of a strange request - for a while I've been trying to get my mom to dip her toe into games. With much herding I managed to get her through Dragon Quest VIII, but she hasn't touched anything since then, though she's tried a few things without attaching. In a recent discussion of pop music with her, however, I learned that she's a big fan of musical dissonance. Again, this is a strange request, but can anyone recommend an easy game with a nice, dissonant soundtrack?

Dishonored's tension music uses dissonance really well.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

Tried it and got really annoyed at not being able to hit poo poo from 50ft+.

Plus I'm a massive chickenshit when it comes to horror games :ohdear:

Once you get a weapon with a scope the guns actually become too accurate. You probably tried the first one, consider giving the latest one a shot (Call of Pripyat).

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MMAgCh posted:

I've got a bit of a hankering for an open world-ish fantasy RPG for PC. Substantial character customisation/progression is a must because yes, I totally do like playing virtual dress-up. :shobon: Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur (and Darksiders 2, if anything was going to bring it up) are out, but I think those are the only recent entries in the genre I've played. Something I've been eyeing despite it being a MMO (single player really is all I care about) is Guild Wars 2, but maybe that isn't a good choice? I don't know!

The most obvious one to me seems Dark Souls. It is the premier fantasy dress-up simulator of today.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trier posted:

I need an game I can sink a trillion billion hours into that isn't Fallout, TES, or the old Infinity Engine games.

Something with a bigass world I can just rummage around in. Doesn't even have to be an RPG, can be anything, so long as I can spend way more hours on it than a healthy young man should.

Edit: Oh, and it has to be available on PC. And not japanese.

Any of the elder scrolls games sounds like what you need.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trier posted:

I probably should've avoided using abbreviations, sorry. "TES" stands for The Elder Scrolls.

Ah, sorry, should have spotted that.

My largest timesinks recently have been Dark Souls PC, FTL and Far Cry 2. Each have a great action feedback loop that makes continued play fun for me.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mecharasputin posted:

Hiya, I'm looking for a game where you get to design your own ships/units/robots/whatever. Can be a sim, can be a strategy, anything is fine.

I'd like it to be at least as flexible in the design department as in the Galactic Civilizations. I already know about Kerbal.

Paradox' recent offering of Leviathan might float your boat.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rizuhbull posted:

Lately I've been getting into importing and emulation. What are some uniquely unamerican games that aren't visual novels? Platform doesn't matter, and a menu translation somewhere online is the bare minimum. Already been playing the Super Robot Wars, Idolmaster and Project Diva games.
You really only have two choices for tactical RPGs. Japanese console games or lower-budget western PC games.

On consoles, I'd check out the Front Mission series and Final Fantasy Tactics (not it's sequels). Both are amazing, anime-free and based in Europe/western culture with heavy political backdrops. Might be worth looking into Rebelstar: Tactical Command for the GBA as it was made by the original Xcom guys. If you like Rebelstar, check out Fire Emblem (Permadeath, western setting/characters) and Advance Wars. Front Mission 3 and FFTactics are available on PSN, Front Mission 4 is like $5 for PS2, and Front Mission 5 has a full fan-made translation online.

For the PC, there's Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout: Tactics and the new Syndicate, there's also Xenonauts and UFO: Alien Invasion but they've both been in alpha forever. The UFO series is on Steam but I think it's poo poo.

Full Spectrum Warrior and it's sequel are Valkyrie Chronicles with the anime swapped out for realism. It's also a bit out there, but Civ 5 has hex's now which give combat depth.

The Silent Storm games are to my mind the absolute best at being XCom-like, with the building destruction etc. The World War 2 setting is actually pretty amusing I find.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Looking for a somewhat relaxing game with some kind of item or crafting progression, fun core gameplay loop, maybe a good sound track. Something that's challenging and interesting but that I can play when I'm too tired to play Rocket League or CS:GO or anything that requires alertness. Some games I've played recently and liked:

Stardew Valley
Civ V
Cities Skylines

I'm pretty open to genres, styles, whatever, but ideally it would be a PC game that I can get on Steam.

Subnautica does this for me.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elswyyr posted:

I'm looking for a game where I can make the numbers go up. I want a shitload of things I can upgrade and improve through various avenues. I usually get my fix from idle/incremental games and MMOs, but at this point I think I've played every major idle game and at least tried every major MMO. I've also extensively played all the big diablolikes.

If you also like shooting mans the Division games are a real numberfest so far.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Superhot or Max Payne for slow-mo spectacle creation, probably.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

Gunfire Reborn 👍🏻

Seconding this, it's excellent.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chinook posted:

It’s a punk cosmetology sim

You have to pay your deus.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

now that you say that, MHW is one of my usual itch-scratchers, too. I stopped playing last sometime shortly before Rabid Rajang and Barmy Brachydios were released, so I suspect by now I've missed quite a few hunts

Have you tried Genshin Impact? It's got fun exploration and the numbers definitely go up.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I liked the first couple hours I played, but my interest fell off a cliff shortly after. Maybe it was the gacha stuff coming in at that point, I'm kinda put off by that stuff nowadays

(e) I realize I'm being a bit difficult but I appreciate all the suggestions so far, btw :shobon:

No worries. For what it's worth the game is entirely completable and plenty fun (imo) without engaging with the gacha at all. Also, the region after the first generic fantasy Europe one is a massive improvement, especially if you're into Chinese themes. Might be worth revisiting.

If you want short power curves, I've been coming back to Gunfire Reborn a lot lately, numbers go up significantly within a run. There's metaprogression though which I know turns some people off.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

Looking for a co-op FPS. Preferably something that came out in the last five years. My all time favorite was Halo. I played Destiny for a bit, but the loot treadmill was too tedious.

If you want something slower-paced and with some survival/lootery added in, I've had some real fun with a buddy in Generation Zero. Cool robot enemies, gorgeous scenery and pretty seamless co-op. Bonus for eighties nostalgia if you're our age. Running into an actual phone booth in the wild was a weird instant sense memory trigger for me.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm looking for an ARPG with really satisfying combat, but I don't really want to gently caress around with builds too much. I really liked Diablo 3 because each skill you unlocked could be swapped around freely, and your stats were essentially a function of what gear you had on. I like the moment-to-moment parts of ARPGs, like collecting loot and exploding a lot of guys, but I often find myself overwhelmed and disinterested when I see huge skill trees that I have to invest points permanently or semi-permanently into. Are there other ARPGs that have the same focus as Diablo 3? I'm not even that interested in games where respeccing is easy, I just don't really want to assign skill points to things. A big part of the appeal of Diablo 3 to me is the fact that I don't really have to pay too much attention to it, as whatever gear I find will probably be outclassed in 40 minutes when I find something better.

Give Genshin Impact a try maybe. The combat is pretty fun, and you can grog out as much or as little as you like. You play as a team of 4 characters, and you can switch between them at the press of a button. They each have a specific element, and you can make reactions between those, so e.g. first use a water-based attack to make someone wet, then freeze them, then switch to an earth character to shatter the frozen enemy for bonus damage. Equipment can be freely swapped between characters so until/unless you really get into endgame it's pretty easy to swap teams.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

iSurrender posted:

Is crafting a must have or are chill adventure games / walking simulators an option?

Would something like https://store.steampowered.com/app/225080/Brothers__A_Tale_of_Two_Sons/ be too scary?

Jesus Christ don't recommend Brothers to someone with PTSD.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

What are the best co-op survival games? Don't say Raft, we got stuck in Raft thanks to the shark eating our engines and we want something else to play.

100% Valheim. I don't even like survival/building games normally and this sucked me right in. The Forest was also pretty fun when we tried it but too creepy/janky.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any good singleplayer deckbuilder games where you build your deck over a long period of time instead of over short runs? I know of the old MTG game, System Crash, and that Witcher one, and the old GBC Pokemon CCG one, but are there others?

Etherlords 1 and 2 are really fun if you can get them to run and don't mind some heroes of might and magic mixed in

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

Still though I'm mostly looking for a turn-based game to play in the background at work and Etherlords does look cool, thanks for the rec!

Just to clarify, the combat in etherlords is 100% card based, just the overworld is very heroes-like. It's closer to shandalar than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Boz0r posted:

My friend and I have been playing Satisfactory for a long time and we're looking for something else that's pretty chill in the same way, preferably with dedicated server support.

Depending on your type of chill required, Valheim is amazing for coop crafting. Not much automation though.