Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hilario Baldness posted:

I'd love a recommendation as I slowly wait for Disco Elysium to come out for PS4.

I have a PS4 (and a dying PS3) and have an eclectic taste in games. I'm a fan of RPGs, JRPGs, adventure, horror, even sand box open world types.

Recent games I've played that I loved were Persona 5, the Dead Space trilogy (RIP), Resident Evil 2 remake, Witcher 3, Nier Automata, Metal Gear Solid 5, Night in the Woods, Stardew Valley.

If it's a recommendation for a JRPG, good story would be a bonus. Persona 5 is probably a rarity in that regard.

Maybe HellBlade: Senua's Sacrifice? It's story and atmosphere heavy, and it's not new or AAA (i think?) so I don't think it could cost that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are my options if I want a third person open world action rpg, could be anything from Breath of the Wild or Witcher 3, but I want a custom character?

I've already tried Dragons Dogma, and Outward, and even AC: Odyssey

PC preferred, but PS4 is doable.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cantorsdust posted:

Does Saint's Row count as an action RPG?

I guess it could more broadly, but I was specifically thinking of something that was based primarily around melee combat in the style of God of War, Dark Souls, Arkham, etc etc.

Maybe I should go back and try Absolver again but I was really turned off by the "wiggle the sticks" combat system vs "press X X Y for a combo". My beat `em up lizard brain wants to push buttons, not wiggle a stick.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've come to realize that, even though I hate walking simulators, all of my favorite games are basically walking simulators an added layer of "real gameplay" on top of them. At the absolute top are the older Bethesda games, particularly Morrowind.

Is there anything in the indie space, maybe on Itch.io, that is like a Daggerfall or Morrowind? I'm talking open ended exploration with a strong loop of 1) Explore 2) Fight 3) Loot 4) Return to town, but with that Bethesda style that's almost like an immersive sim, with a robust set of systems and economies?

As a counter point, Battle Brothers certainly has the elements of being open ended, and a loop of fighting and looting and fighting again, but I'm looking for something that can also be almost a walking simulator?

For the purposes of this recommendation, I wouldn't turn down something that was third person, sprite based, etc; it doesn't need to be a 3d FPS to quality. Hit me with anything you think is halfway right and even if I don't think it's quite what I want maybe my responses will help further define what I'm looking for.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Play No Man’s Sky.

Too much crafting, and the NPCs and Settlements don't have enough characterization. Probably shot myself in the foot by mentioning Daggerfall, when so much of the game is procedurally generated (not random, but generated randomly and then burned into the final game). I want something that has towns and villagers that are more characterized than No Man's Sky. It nails the sense of freedom and open exploration though.

v1ld posted:

Outward

Good guess; I've played it though and it's a bit too challenging and involved for what I'm looking for right now. I actually love the Requiem overhaul for Skyrim, but something about Outward still feels too punishing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've played all of those except for Haven but I've only played about an hour of Avernum and Caves of Qud, so I think I'll do my best to try either of those again. Probably Caves, since the onboarding/difficulty curve is what bounced me off of it, whereas Avernum, while seeming like a fine game, felt more like it would satisfy my Baldur's Gate1 itch than my Morrowind itch.

Thanks all, great suggestions.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oddly, I bought and played it just a month or so ago. I'm not entirely new to Rogue Likes, I used to play a lot of ADOM, so it was less"I have no clue at all how this keyboard centric ASCII graphics dungeon crawler works" and more that all three characters I made died in their first fight and I said "I'll try this again when I feel like reading a wiki or finding the SA thread".

If it "releases" that soon though, maybe I'll try Avernum again first and wait...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Magnetic North posted:

Are there any arcade-y racers and/or vehicular combat games on Steam that goons recommend? (besides Mad Max, which I tried and it was pretty okay) None of the classic series got on there except the lovely Burnout.

I've played:
Flatout 1
Mad Max
Crossout

Art of Rally is a beautiful and relaxing arcade racer.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You're pretty SOL for isometric rpgs unless you go old, you've played the main good ones.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If Subnautica is the best survival game I've ever played (25 hours in atm and loving it) , and Vintage Story and Rust not so much, and if I also like The Long Dark's single player, what are the other survival games I should play?

The Forest?

It looks like I want an atmospheric, good looking game, with some horror elements, and some sort of overall end state or win condition?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The screen shots look OK. It's just, you know, I never really played or liked Minecraft so I haven't internalized its aesthetic and when I look at vintage story it's just a huge turn off. Even something as similar as Valhiem is perfectly acceptable to me, just not the literal "here's a wolf made of rectangles and a house made of meter sized cubes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No! It's certainly on the list. I thought it would be best to let some time pass between the two?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I've been looking into this question of games to try if I like Subnautica and I own the continually patched No Man's Sky and they apparently added ship bases at some point but did they add, well, a win condition? A structure? I bounced off it at launch and also played one sitting of it a year or so ago (and found that the little robot cameras still aggravated me).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ouch, yeah, systems that don't integrate sounds like a kiss of death for me personally, thank you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, love the Stalker series and I've at least tried the Misery mod.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have you played the old Jagged Alliance? Make sure it's the original and not one of the many compromised reboots.

Edit: I think I meant Jagged Alliance 2.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 5, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You've Almost certainly heard of battle brothers, then.

I'll point out someone is once again remaking Jagged Alliance and they swear it'll be good this time :v:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I haven't played Ship Breakers but it's my understanding there's some working class dystopia humor there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have you played Ashen? I never finished it so I can't swear it doesn't heel turn but I'd call it far, far more hopeful and optimistic than Dark Souls.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gato The Elder posted:

Oh! I remember this game now! Is it actually any good? And can I coop with friends?

Yeah, I think so; it's a less ambitious version of dark souls - only Melee, no magic, limited ranged combat. But the combat feels as good as (ds1 era) Dark Souls combat to me, and it involves rebuilding a town. Imagine if Majula became a thriving community instead of an unsettling refuge for lost souls.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

luchadornado posted:

Something like a fantasy Borderlands 3 would probably be my favorite game ever.

Maybe try Enderal, the stand alone game based off of Skyrim? It's on steam.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Vadun posted:

Streets of Rogue?

I was gonna say to keep an eye out for streets of rogue 2, which is in development - they say it'll be basically a 2d Sprite based cyberpunk 2077.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Baldur's Gate 2 is the better written and more highly regarded of the pair, and one of the top ten best western RPGs of all time.

Morrowind is another all time GOAT but it's a completely different sub gebre whereas BG2 is the spiritual predecessor to what you've already played.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kvlt! posted:

can anyone reccomend a switch game that you can play using only one hand (right hand). i had s bad injury and now have a lot of time to kill but only one hand to use (for a few months not permanent thankfully)

i like sports, rpgs, and strategy games but am open to anything

They're not necessarily MEANT to be played one handed, but both Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy are turn based, so it doesn't really matter if it's taking you a long time to do the console equivalent of hunt and peck. Of the two I'd recommend Triangle Strategy because there's about twice as much talking as combat, so you'll spend a LOT of your "gaming" time just pressing the "yes, please go on" button. I know that may not sound riveting but hey, you're gaming with one hand on a switch.

Edit: Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Dragon Quest for the same reasons - you finish all four of these and the months will be gone and your hand will be healed!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Need a game recommendation/theoretical question:

What's an highly accessible game that broadly matches Elden Ring's genre. And I mean very broadly, as in "a third person action game mostly focused on melee combat". This would encompass everything from Ocarina of Time, Arkham Asylum, Elden Ring, etc.

If someone is completely new to this, what's a game on steam that is bright, cheerful, funny, and will help ease someone into the absolute basics of "this analog stick moves your dude, this one look around with the camera, and you want to hit and not get hit" and is also very forgiving so someone can build up some fundamental familiarity with the conventions of the control scheme and basic "verbs"?

This is the kind of tjing I think games struggle with, there's a lot of assumed knowledge.

My time in Portia?
One of the Lego games?
One of the Fables?

Edit: oh, one answer might be Psychonaughts 2, which they've played some of, and struggle with, hut haven't finished.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Against the Storm seems good from the twenty minutes I played but I should have done any research at all before slam buying it because I heard "RTS is back baby!!" and thought I was getting the next C&C or Warcraft and oops this is a settler game.

Edit: Ok to make myself sound less like an idiot I watched the Steam add before I bought it, I had just spent the preceding however many weeks or months thinking it was a different kind of game.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 22, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Eric the Mauve posted:

You buy games without watching a couple LP videos of them first??

AtS is a game that either won't click with you in the first hour and you can safely just refund it, or will click with you and you will become obsessed with it and dominate your life for weeks or months. There seems to be no in between, it does a very specific thing but does that specific thing disturbingly well.

Yes.

:negative:

I know LPs largely invalidate traditional reviews and previews; if you want to understand a game, nothing beats just seeing the drat thing in action, but I both enjoy games journalism and value discovery in games so I tend to not watch twitch streams of games before I buy them.

I'm not often completely wrong about the genre though. Still, seems like a good game and I'm more than happy to add it to the pile of "good games I own and will play one day, I swear."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ah, yeah, sable would he a great introduction, you basically can't lose from what I saw in the demo, and by the time you're done the basics of moving and controlling the camera should be completely internalized.

Edit: The non theoretical version of this question for me personally is that my girlfriend's gaming experience is still firmly rooted in Super Mario World; shes played and beaten Shantae: Half Genie Hero and is currently playing Guacamelee, and is comfortable with those because they're 2D, but when she tried Stray and Psychonaughts the fundamental genre conceits were a big hurdle. Of course she improves every time plays them but it's not fun to hit an absolute brick wall like struggling to complete a tutorial because twin stick 3D games are brand new to her and, unlike me, she didn't have the benefit of playing through the first titles like Super Mario 64 that assumed a lot less pre existing skill.

Like, I was replaying super mario 64 on switch and a LOT of the moment to moment gameplay is really basic stuff like "can you move Mario in a straight line across a narrow bridge", whereas a game made today just sort of assumes you're past that point.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 22, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmn, Final Fight 1 is my GOAT beat em up, and I still consider SoR4 the absolute best today, the closest thing we've had to a AAA 2d beat em up since ... viewtifull Joe?? I take your point about combos vs managing enemies, but all I can say about that is that I focused on managing enemies over combos, and that's probably why I can't beat SoR4 on harder difficulties. It didn't stop me from enjoying the game, and I probably wouldn't even have any inkling that the combos were possible if I didn't see it posts online.

Edit: I mean, I guess even I would start sneaking in grand uppers and other special moves after knocking a boss into the air, but I barely dipped my toe in combos; I was always just shifting back and forth on the y axis looking for the right time to engage the mob of enemies swarming me - in that sense it feels exactly like final fight to me.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 23, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm kind of looking for a specific type of game. I played the entire Kingdom Hearts series last year and had so much fun with it and I've been looking for something else to play like that. I've looked at a lot of recommendations and I think I figured out what exactly I'm looking for
  • Realtime combat
  • Lots of cutscenes with voice acting. I prefer lots of short (>10 minutes) cutscenes to having less cutscenes that are longer. I think it builds a good flow, but I'm trying not to be too picky with that
  • Fun immersive, places to explore. If you can jump thats really cool too.

Everyone recommends Yakuza, and I played a good amount of Zero because of that. It is a good recommendation but I have some issues with how exploring town feels compared to Kingdom Hearts, and also the cutscene cinematography is a bit boring and the more realistic aspects don't get me going as much. The sidequests were more fun and silly than everything else but the lack of voice acting and cinematics got me down. Plus the gameplay wasn't exactly straight up my alley.

Pretty much Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid are what I'm looking for here. What are games like that with good cutscenes and pacing while having realtime combat? I did buy Final Fantasy Origins and played a bit, but older games usually draw me in more.

Have you played either of the two newest Assassin's Creed games? Maybe try whichever setting interests you more.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Homeworld was remastered; I'd try that, especially considering you have one chill weekend and it might be nice to play some of a game you've already beaten so it's easier to put down unfinished if necessary.

Just don't put your fighters on evasive expecting them to scatter into pairs :(

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sankara posted:

Recently got my rear end kicked pretty bad, need something to help pass the time as I heal. Something that doesn't require reflexes, I can play with one hand, and ideally a chill atmosphere. (I know about Vampire Survivors)

poo poo, I'm sorry to hear that. Have you ever played plants vs zombies? Super cute, not taxing. I was replaying it today when I was in a bit of a funk.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I know it's a pretty tight list of requirements, but I'm looking for a game that's:

Single-player
Low system requirements (like, laptop-level)
Suited for playing on KB+M instead of gamepad
Small install size
Ideally nothing turn-based

I've been playing a bunch of Vampire Survivors, so sadly that's already taken.

One of my favorite games of all time, which is tragically overlooked, is Nuclear Throne, and it fits every one of these.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

Looking for a game that involves extensive exploration of one of those giant cruise ships.

Might replay SS2 in the meantime.

And you've played Prey, right? Right??

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dread Delusion, maybe. It's not done yet but it's definitely a solo game with a vision.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I haven't actually played it so other people can correct me but I believe the second Pathfinder RPG will let you be a necromancer both mechanically and narratively?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Brother Tadger posted:

Strong opinions on best Diablo game or Diablo-like? Never played any of these games (not a huge fan of isometric games generally), but want to give it a try and see if I enjoy it.

My personal favorite is Diablo one, and I'd argue it has elements that aren't carried over in later games, but I'm really not sure how such an old game would land for a player sans nostalgia.

Oh! You might try the doom style rogue like, does anyone know what I'm talking about? Calypso Protocol??

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Isn't the doom style roguelike Jupiter hell? Or the original doomRL?

Jupiter Hell, that's right. I think maybe you're on Calypso station or something, I couldn't recall the name. Anyway if you're sort of on the fence about ARPGs it's different enough that it might land for you. Just a good game, regardless.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My friend just got his first gaming PC, coming from PS5. Skyrim is his favorite game and he's super excited he'll get to play Starfield.

But it got me thinking, with so may titles being cross platform these days, what are the "must haves" in PC exclusives, particularly stuff that's several years old and thus relatively cheap.

One title that leaps out to be is the first Firaxis X-Com, was that on console? Feels like a quintessential PC game to me but actually it'd work fairly well on a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I'd welcome any indie recommendations, too. Fffffuck I love Nuclear Throne, easily my all time cult classic that I'm always pushing on people, good pick.

I guess I'm looking for "What's a personal top five for great games that can probably be bought for $20 or less each and that are only on PC/Steam, not console".

I'll throw a list out there, but the whole reason I posted was so people could help me remember stuff I'll otherwise forget about.

1. Xcom 1
2. Nuclear Throne
3. Total Warhammer (maybe? It's just a big price point to get to the point where you could play Immortal Empires
4. Modded Morrowind
5. Crusader Kings II

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 24, 2023