Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are there any war games or sims out there that do a good job of presenting and teaching actual history while still being fun? Recently I've been reading up a lot about military history. It's all super interesting and new to me (except maybe the american revolution/civil war), so I don't really care if the game models a particular conflict or time period.

I have never played a war sim of any sort so I have no idea what to look for. For reference, I do enjoy turn based tactical/strategy games including X-Com, Alpha Centauri and Age of Wonders.
Graphics: Pretty pictures are nice, but I'm ok with just about anything so long as it isn't butt ugly.
Difficulty: I don't mind being thrown into the deep end with a difficult game so long as the interface is relatively easy to learn.

Help me waste time learn new things!

Edit: formatting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

Hey dudes, I'm looking for an action/RPG sort of game like S.T.A.L.K.E.R or New Vegas. Preferably something that's kind of open world and mission based with some inventory management type stuff. Any general suggestions?

You might like Far Cry 2, although the hostile guards everywhere can get annoying after a bit. Both Deus Ex games have some pretty open ended levels and emphasize the rpg aspect. If you like those, definitely look into System Shock 2 as well. It's indoors (well, in two spaceships) but the levels are open ended and the game definitely encourages exploration.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ulio posted:

Been playing the original Crysis, I played it when it came out never finished it though. Loving the open island. Are there any games where your on a tropical island or just an island? I was thinking of the original Farcry, heard good things about that one, worth trying?

Just Cause 2 a million times over. Go play Just Cause 2.

Comedy option: Trespasser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93eNKNPjIFY

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

Just Cause 2, no question about it. This is how amazing its islandiness is.
It's really almost tragic how overly ambitious Trespasser was, for its time.

The point has already been hammered in, but the video you linked needs more grappling.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Gothic 2 is an open ended rpg with a focus on exploration and professions like blacksmithing, alchemy and skinning. The Gold Edition comes with the (awesome) expansion Night of the Raven and is 10$ on GoG. I have to warn you that mouse support was added as an afterthought and the controls are... not great. It's definitely worth it so long as you have a little patience and enjoy stuff like Morrowind and Betrayal at Krondor.

I haven't gotten around to them yet, but Gothic 3 and Risen are supposed to be pretty good too.

TorakFade posted:

I'm looking for an open-world, do-what-you-will singleplayer RPG or similar game; ideally I should be able to buy houses/carts/aircraft/whatever, craft things, do crazy poo poo like barding and riddles, chop trees, cook, acquire lots and lots of different loot, and have the feeling of an actually living, interesting world even if I don't do the Main Quest (pretty much the contrary of any Elder Scrolls game).

Oh poo poo, you just summed up Terraria in one epic run-on sentence. Try Terraria!

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 17, 2012

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Quote!=Edit

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I have sort of an odd request. My little girl is fascinated by watching me play games and it often keeps her entertained (and hey I have fun to). But what I need is something that has as story line and voice acting. She is right at the reading stage but sometimes reading out all the dialogue can get a bit tiresome. So having some solid cut scenes where to story can make sense to her. The catch is here something that is relativity kid friendly. So nothing with over the top violence and cursing. Any genre would do but I would prefer to play it on PC.

And ideas? Thanks

I remember Anachronox being a lot of fun for spectators. Engaging and funny characters, lots of cutscenes and a noir-ish sci fi setting with a decent if somewhat wacky story.

The gameplay is inspired by older jrpg stuff like the Final Fantasy games, but they mix it up with mini-games and puzzle solving. It's 6$ on GoG now.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also there might be some language you don't want your kid to be hearing, not sure how you feel about that. I can't remember how bad the language gets.

Oh, that's a good point. It's been a while for me as well, but I do remember there being some jokes that reference sex, although they were pretty light in tone and might go unnoticed by younger children. I'm not sure about swearing.

If in doubt, all the cutscenes were re-cut into a two hour(!) movie by the director for a machinima contest. You can check it out online to get an idea of how suitable it is. Just beware, it's obviously full of spoilers.

Edit: The ESRB rating is T for violence and mature themes, apparently. Also, that movie: http://archive.org/details/JakeHughesAnachronoxTheMovie

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 27, 2012

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RoryGilmore posted:

This is a pretty broad request and I might have simply beaten all the games that I'm describing. I tried posting this in another thread a few months ago but didn't get replies. I also know Dishonored is a good answer for this, and I am going to be playing it, but I need more!

I'm looking for anything that covers the sneaking spectrum of games, or sniping (including bows), but it has to be on PC. This could be anything from futuristic military sneaking to fantasy-style. Bonus points if it's an RPG. The thing is, I have a problem playing games from the lovely 3D era of 98-03ish so preferably something that's not that dated in terms of graphics.

I'll give examples of games I've played that cover this, but it's a lot. If I simply name a game without a number after it, I've probably played everything in the series. Maybe I've just run out: Elder Scrolls, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Thief, NOLF, Dark Messiah of M&M, Fallout 3/NV, Alpha Protocol, Sniper Elite, Metro 2033 (this is an example of a great game with lovely stealth though), Deus Ex/HR, MGS (those PC ports are bad), Mass Effect series (bad example), Divinity II, etc so on and so forth.

I think I'm tapped out :(

So maybe a double recommendation of something KOTOR I/II style of RPG? I haven't tried Jade Empire..

It's not out for a couple days yet, but Dishonored is suppposed to be a stealth based game heavily inspired by Thief and Deus Ex. Rockpapershotgun just posted a positive, if somewhat incoherent review of it.

As for older stuff, the first Crysis really encourages stealthy play. You might consider trying some of the Silent Hill games too. While they aren't focused on stealth, you have to avoid monsters as ammunition is very scarce. It's a similiar dynamic to the zombie levels in the first Thief.

E: Stalker would also fit the bill. Lots of sniping as the game progresses.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 8, 2012

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RoryGilmore posted:

Yeah I mentioned Dishonored in my post, I'm really looking forward to it. I really love the first Crysis, but once it turned from stealthily killing humans to killing aliens, I started to dislike it (same with MGS4 once it turned into gunning down an overabundance of robots). And I've played all 3 STALKERs, but never really found sniping viable in them much until it was too late.

Haha, woops!

Sounds like you have the genre pretty well covered. Have you played any of the Ghost Recon games? They consist almost entirely of sniper battles. You're dead in seconds if spotted in the open, so a big part of the game is planning an approach that lets you catch enemies off guard, preferably from a long way away.

The most recent one, Future Soldier devolved into a 3rd person cover shooter, but the rest are good.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 8, 2012

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Forgedbow posted:

GTA4 is decent in the story/character department. Really the main complaint is that sometimes there is a big disconnect between cutscenes and what happens in gameplay, making Nico (your avatar) come off as schizophrenic at times. Moreso than usual in these games.

It sorta depends on your playstyle. If you enjoy going on massacres and engaging cop cars with rocket launchers, the story loses a lot of it's impact. I preferred doing powerslides and driving against traffic on the highway, in which context Nico's character made sense, somewhat.

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Can anyone recommend a good character driven game. It can be action/RPG/shooter as long as there's some decent characterisation and storytelling. On PC.

The Mass Effect series is actually pretty good at this.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Are there any more first-person puzzle games, in the same vein as Portal and Qube?

There's The Ball. It's an ok puzzler, although the game's length is padded with unnecessary combat.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, what's a good browser based game that I can spend 15 minutes or so on once or twice a day? Preferably not something that requires the player to monitor or log in at certain times.

I've played Urban dead and Kingdom of Loathing in the past, but don't really want to return to them.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Perfect, thanks.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Noni posted:

Can you guys please recommend some big-budget PC games from the past 5 years that have gotten low reviews? I want to find some games that have escaped my radar, but that others still enjoy.

To cite an old example, I asked this question half a decade ago and you guys recommended The Bard's Tale, which was ranked at 60-something percent. Now, of course, it's a well-liked mobile game, which makes you guys look like goddamn psychics.

Alpha Protocol

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Deakul posted:

Interesting, I just may have to check it out then.
I was always put off of it due to the ravenous fans saying how awful it was.

HoMM 6 got a lot of bad press for simplifying some gameplay and requiring a constant online connection in order to access some single-player features. Might have been that one? 4 was definitely disappointing too.

3 and 5 are the best of the bunch in my opinion. 2 is also fun but it shares so much with 3 that it's more of a nostalgia trip than anything else.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Crossworlds is add-in for princess campaign, no reason to play non-crossworlds princess.
In plot order it's KB: The Legend, Armored Princess/Crossworlds, Warriors of the North ; but it's not all that related, just minor references.

In addition, the first one, King's Bounty has the funniest writing and plot. It's really long though, I'd suggest just playing through the first two thirds of King's Bounty and then skipping to Crossworlds.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ModeSix posted:

So I am looking for a building/management sim type game.

I love games like:
Sim City
Sim Tower
Tropico
Airway Sim (very deeply involved game where you manage an airline - not interest in Airline Tycoon series, hate it)
Towns (even though it's an unfinished pile of poo poo, the concept is there)
OpenTTD
SuperPower 2 (loved this, can't find my disc - geopolitical sim)

Upcoming games I have pre-ordered/funded:

Star Citizen
Planetary Annihilation
Starship Corporation

Basically I want something that is a building game (not like Minecraft), or a company management/logistics sim. I really like games that allow me to be creative in a sandboxy type environment.

I really like getting into the details. Multiplayer is a bonus.

Ceasar and Pharaoh are both amazing city-building games. Ceasar III is probably the most popular of the bunch, but I think Pharoah deserves an honourable mention because of it's absolutely epic pyramid projects.

Edit: Trade/war with other cities and appeasing crazy gods is there as well, so lots of stuff to sink your teeth into apart from the actual city building. Constructing industries and supply chains makes up a big part of the games too.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 16, 2013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Might be worth considering Red Faction: Guerilla. It's a pretty great open world game and definitely has a unique atmosphere, although how much you like it may depend on your feelings toward explosions.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Also played that, sorry for being so difficult.

If you've played the Far Cry games, definitely consider the first Crysis. It's basically the same, except you are the Predator (cloaking/super punches).

For an emphasis on stealth and pacing, I'd suggest lowering the AI's alertness while keeping the rest of the difficulty settings at normal. On default, a single shot will bring the entire map down on your rear end. If I remember correctly it's just a matter of adjusting a couple numbers in a .ini file, I think I got the instructions from here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_1.html

Also for a blast to the past, give Project I.G.I. a shot. Any of the Ghost Recon games up to Advanced Warfighter is good too. The series takes a nosedive after that.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 25, 2013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Seems like there's been a ton of turn-based/4x games that have been released in the last couple years, but now that I have the time and money, I have no idea what to play. What would you recommend for somebody who liked Alpha Centauri, Age of Wonders and HoMM 3?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Endless Space was pretty interesting. It's a bit flawed, but it's definitely got that 4X "Oh god it's four in the morning I need to be up in two hours" factor, the UI is great, and it's got a lot of polish. The combat is a bit eh, but you'll definitely get your money's worth from it.

Thanks, been having a great time exploring/colonizing. You were right that the combat is a bit off- I think it could be a lot of fun if they expanded on the trading card aspect although that might offend 4x purists.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Every once in a while, I like to drink and play pvp games. I need a new one, preferably an fps (although I'm open to other genres) with a lively community and fast-paced, competitive gameplay.

Previous games have included WoW battlegrounds, TF2, Burnout Paradise and Brink. I should add that I don't want to play a CoD game. They make me twitchy.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Azran posted:

This may sound silly, but have you tried Counter Strike Global Offensive yet? It's fast-paced, huge community, and really competitive. It's slower than a normal CoD match. There's also Natural Selection 2.

There's always Dota, I guess. :v:

Thanks, I haven't played CS in a long time, I'll definitely give that a shot. I like Natural Selection 2, but it really shines when I can get a group of friends together on the same team, which isn't all that often, unfortunately.

I totally forgot about F2P games last night, so I might give Hawken, Tribes and Planetside a try too. Do any of those games have problems with pay2win or keeping maps populated?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I picked up Monaco during the summer sale and it's pretty fun, but are there any single player games with a similar concept? i.e. coordinating a team of people to pull off a heist of some kind.

Rainbow 6: Vegas was pretty good at this actually. Think Mass Effect, except the shooting and squad commands are actually really well done, with a fun room-breaching system that lets you coordinate simultaneous attacks with multiple squads and flashbangs and stuff. It also allows for a bit more micro-management than the Ghost: Recon series, which, while great, is mostly limited to instructions along the lines of "go there and look in that direction".

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vitamins posted:

a decent driving game

Quoting because that's exactly what I was going to type. I would really like something that's semi realistic, without being a full-blown sim. The Forza series would be perfect, but I only have a PC available at the moment.

Apart from Forza, I've had a lot of fun with GTA 4 and Burnout Paradise. Neither game is very simmy, but I love driving models where traction and the driving surface make a huge difference. TDU2's driving model was unfortunately terrible and GRID would have been great if the career mode wasn't so annoying.

I haven't tried any of the Dirt games, would #2 be a good choice? The third still seems quite expensive, especially with all the dlc.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Project1 posted:

I want a game with that adaptive AI that responds to your skill level (if you get better, it gets better, if you get worse, it gets worse). Of course, there's a few games that have it, but I've never heard of a game that has it and it actually works properly. Not too fussed about genre.

I'm not sure if it counts as proper AI, but Warning Forever is a shmup/top down shooter where the opponents evolve procedurally based on your actions (New movement patterns, weapons and increasingly elaborate structures).

Regarding if it works properly: If you are observant, it eventually becomes possible to trick the game into developing strings of crappy bosses. Took me quite a while to figure that out, though.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 7, 2013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Extra posted:

I'm looking for the game that is closest in similarity to Morrowind. To give you an idea I would say Oblivion was nothing like Morrowind.

Gothic 2 is pretty drat close in every way. Free-form character development instead of classes, an open world to explore with lots of secrets everywhere and somewhat janky combat system. The melee combat has more depth to it, the trade-off being the magic not being completely broken/awesome. Oh yeah, and you roleplay a prisoner on an island full of people who don't like you, which is basically Morrowind in a nutshell. 10 bucks from Gog.com

A couple things you should know: Difficulty scales more sharply than Morrowind and there is no level scaling. If you are getting one-shotted by monsters, it is a sign that you should be adventuring somewhere else. Also, the Gog version comes with the expansion which adds a lot of content that is actually meant for mid-level characters, so it's a good idea to prioritize its quest chain (the water ring) instead of saving it for last.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Blast of Confetti posted:

Hopefully this is in the spirit of the thread, but is System Shock 2 worth getting if I've never played it? I know it gets a lot of praise, but it seems like most of it comes from people who grew up playing it and I'm not sure if the inevitable 90's FPSRPG... quirks... are forgotten because of that or not.

The graphics are definitely dated, but turn off the lights and put on some headphones and it's still amazing. The sound design really carries the game.
The game works fine with normal keyboard/mouse input, if that's what you were wondering.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Galick posted:

I doubt I'll get it, but does anyone know a fairly difficult game where you fight (or have the option to) fight completely unarmed that isn't God Hand? Not something relatively halfassed like Fallout 3 or New Vegas where it's even easier than if I had a gun the size of a fire hydrant strapped to my shoulder. Something where you have to play smart to win, but awards being brave/daring/psychotic.

If you can find a copy, Oni is a fantastic 3rd person martial arts beat-em-up where the guns are entirely optional. Mirror's Edge also has a really satisfying melee combat system like Mustache said, but there are a couple brutally annoying difficulty spikes.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So my favourite part of WoW right after its release was exploring new areas and solo pvp. I loved trying to take down higher level players or groups with my rogue. There was crazy tension when I'd spot another player in the distance and we'd size each other up, trying to tell if the other player had hostile intentions and if they were well equipped or skilled. Having running duels with a nemesis over the course of an evening and bowing/waving before logging out, or choosing the perfect moment to wipe a party that ganked me earlier.

Any MMO's current or coming up in the next year that have similiar open world pvp?

Edit: From what I've read, DayZ has a similiar style, but it's missing the skillset. Trying to figure out how to counter different classes, get in the opponents head and anticipate their cooldowns was half the fun.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 13, 2013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

mune posted:

Asheron's Call, Darktide server. The game isn't cooldowns-based like WOW though, it's more arcade-y. Also there aren't really predefined classes, but it's pretty easy to tell if someone's a mage or not.

But the whole 'sizing people up from a distance' thing is perfect for that server since it's an extremely hostile world as soon as you create your character. I remember pretty much just creating my character and turning around and running away from the beginner area because there were people there that were constantly fighting you.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the goon thread is full of people waxing nostalgic and selling their level 250 character accounts. I think I missed the boat on that MMO by about a decade.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

If I really, really liked the "plot your murder path from afar, drop the sentries, sneak in and knife everyone else to death without any individual mook ever knowing anything was wrong until they felt cold steel between their ribs" part of taking outposts in FarCry 3, what should I try next? Sniper Elite V2 is on sale now but I actually stopped sniping in FC3 because it was less fun/challenging than knifing all the fools.

The first Crysis has a lot of this.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, I'm looking for a decent turn-based rpg that includes exploration and character building. Some examples of what I'm looking for are Fallout, Legend of Grimrock, TOME and the Avernum series.

I'm not in the mood for a true roguelike at the moment, just something with a detailed levelling system and an engaging world.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pomp posted:

I've got 20 bucks to blow on something that will fill the empty pit of malaise that occupies my insides. Preferably something pretty, otherwordly, and exploration driven - like The Void, Morrowind, Dreamfall or Okami.

Edit: Or something as big, dumb, and shameless as a Platinum game.

Edit 2: Also, it has to be on PC, PS2 or 3DS.

I had a lot of fun with Knytt Underground recently. It's a platformer, which I'm not generally interested in, but the world is massive and the art and music evoke a very chill, otherworldly vibe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwZ2Z7WRQrI

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm stuck with an old crappy laptop (2 ghz Core 2 and geforce 9300) for the next 2 weeks and need a recommendation for something to play in the evenings. I'm ok with just about anything that I can easily walk away from if something comes up. So no racing games or diablo clones, I guess?

Games I've enjoyed a lot in similiar situations:
Baldur's Gate (and all the infinity engine games at this point)
Pharoah
Alpha Centauri (Was never able to get into Civ 2 or 3 after Alpha Centauri)
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've actually tried Dredmore, the character building was really interesting, but the inventory management and crafting sucked a lot of the fun out of the game.

Loved the old X-Com but I'm too engaged with the new one to go back just yet.

Will definitely add Zeus to the wishlist, but I think it's about time I give MoO a try. Heard a lot about it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for a good turn-based game? rpg/4x/tactical combat/roguelike or any combination of the above.

I'm waiting for the upcoming updates to Divinity:Original Sin and Wasteland 2 before I finish them, and am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

Stuff I have played and enjoyed:
Age of Wonders 3
Endless Legend
X-COM
Jagged Alliance 1.13
Baldur's Gate
Pillars of Eternity
TOME
DCSS

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Well that was easy. I vaguely remember deciding to wait on Shadowrun after hearing it needed patching, and lo and behold, now there is even a director's cut of the expansion. Is Shadowrun Returns worth playing first or should I jump straight into Dragonfall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Great, I'll dip my toes into Returns and move onto Dragonfall when I decide to respec and start anew, as happens inevitably in every rpg I play.

Really should give Xenonauts a try at some point too. Thanks as well to the person who mentioned HoMM. I've already spent countless hours in HoMM 3, don't think I'll ever get tired of it.