Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What's a good RPG timesink that I can spend hundreds of hours on, on my Vita that's not a Final Fantasy game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Persona 4: The Golden, its one of the best JRPGs ever, get it now.

I was thinking this or Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Which out of those two would you reccomend?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Make sure to vote for Drox Operative on Steam Greenlight, too.

Are there any good pc local multiplayer games I'm missing from the list below? I have an Xbox wireless receiver, 4 controllers, and a giant plasma and holy poo poo couch multiplayer is fun again.

Local multiplayer games I have:
Monaco (this game is awesome)
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
Jamestown
Rayman Origins
Trine 1/2
Magicka
Lego Lord of the Rings
Resident Evil 5 (haven't tried this but I heard you can hack it)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead 2

How's Magicka with a controller?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I need a new complex timesink. Preferably run on lower end machines. My previous were World of Warcraft and Dwarf Fortress, so strategy or RPG.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ashenai posted:

Minecraft. With mods like Tekkit, it gets extremely fiddly and complicated (you can build very complicated machines with logic gates and poo poo), and it's pretty much an infinite timesink.

I've tried it but I really don't like it, even with Tekkit. Perhaps something else?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'll check all those out thanks everyone!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Complex strategy timesinks are basically Paradox games Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 3, Victoria 2, Darkest Hour.

I own and play all of them!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A good deep preferably more open than linear RPG along the lines of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What is a fun co-op RPG PC game that can run on very low-end machines? I am looking for a game to play with my brother.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hello all I am looking for an RPG game that is going to last me a while. I'm talking like super-dense, mega-timesink "I need to sink 1000 hours of this game just to scratch the surface). A lot of depth and complexity. Can be single-player or MMO. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend a very deep, complex timesink RPG for the PS2? Hopefully one where you focus on one character rather than a party of characters, but either is ok.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Try Dark Cloud 2? It's an action RPG but really long with quite a few interconnected systems.

Your party consists of two human characters (one who can switch to piloting a customizable mech and the other who can transform into various monsters, but both can fight normally as well) and you only have one in combat at a time.

The main game is basically a combination of town building and dungeon running, but there are a lot of extra systems in play (a golf minigame, an invention system used mostly to upgrade Max's mech with various parts by photographing different items in the world, medals to collect for various rewards, sidequests to recruit townspeople, quite deep weapon crafting/upgrading, etc.)

I will definitely check this out, thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I love grand strategy games like Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings and also old GBA-era RPG games with more menus and stats than gameplay. Only problem is my computer is awful at gaming and can only play really old games or games that take little power to run. Any games that fit this criteria?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What's a good space-themed 4X game for a beginner to the genre? I'm definitely willing to learn how to play but hopefully not something super complex. Bonus if it runs on lower-end PCs.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Whats the best train strategy game where I can build and manage an awesome railroad empire with the caveat that it has to run on my pretty low end computer?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I want to build something, and I don't know what. Oxygen Not Included came close, but it turns out I get angry when the worker AI decides not to do what I specifically told it to do with the emergency priority button.

DQB2 isn't it, either - too simple - and neither is Factorio or Satisfactory. Already played out Astroneer. I had a few suggestions for other management games like ONI, but if they have indirect controls too I'm not playing

not to state the obvious but Minecraft can get as simple/complex as you like and is pretty hands on

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This might be a weird/too specific request

I'm looking for a game I can play "on the side" during lengthy, dull zoom meetings. I love games like Minecraft, DF/Rimworld, and love love love train games like Railway Empire or Railroad Tycoon. I'm looking for something like that but on a much much more casual level, that can also run on a crappy laptop. Bonus points if it has pause/isn't real time.

I'm not too picky so if you have a game you think fits this general vibe but doesnt tick all the boxes directly feel free to toss out the idea anyway

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Some of my ALT-TAB video game faves:
OpenTTD
Astrox Imperium
Oolite
King's Bounty
Chess
Doom
Invisible Inc.
HOMM III

they're all cheap too, b/c i'm cheap

Thanks for this. OpenTTD looks amazing. Is it easy to learn?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm really enjoying OpenTTD, (even if I'm playing with unlimited money and having fun just building train networks), and I'm gonna try the Factorio demo but OpenTTD is pretty much exactly what I was looking for

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Evig Vandrar posted:

Looking for a game for my dad. He's a fan of turn-based strategies - he likes Panzer General, Civilization, EU, Crusader Kings, stuff like that, and is looking for something new. Doesn't like space/fantasy settings though, so something more contemporary or historical,

The grognard games thread OP has a ton of games that sounds like theyd be right up your Dad's alley

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Leal posted:

Is there a game that would be like satisfactory or factorio but I'm making money, which I use to purchase things to make even more money?

Youre looking for tycoon games. Megaqarium, Zoo Tycoon, and OpenTTD being my favs

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is there anything like ToME but with aliens and scifi instead of wizards and fantasy?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This looks perfect, just snagged it. Thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

schwein11 posted:

I'm looking for a good war game to sink my teeth into - something focused more on the strategic decisions rather than on the battlefield tactical stuff. Would love if it has as a key component the management of supply lines and wartime logistics. I come to this having recently been listening to a lot of WWII podcast stuff (Hardcore History's most recent series on Japan in the run up and during WWII), and recently reading a fair number of cold war period espionage fiction (john le carre). I haven't played the Hearts of Iron series and don't know if that's what I'm looking for or not, and really haven't played anything along the lines of what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind a hard military sci-fi setting instead of historical, Shadow Empire will definitely hit the spot. I'm still learning it myself but the depth is amazing, it's a fantastic game

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Are there any games like Resident Evil 2 that aren't horror?

-Challenging
-3rd Person
-Item and inventory management
-Limited resources
-Enemies are individually difficult rather than killing hordes of weak enemies
-Exploration is rewarded

CDDA is everything you asked for taken to the extreme

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's also horror, plus the "every enemy is threatening" only lasts till your guy gets some decent gear, at which point you can tear through chump zombies like butter

I cant read, i totally missed the "non horror" part

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any good strategy games/wargames (preferably turn based) with massive ordninance? I wanna nuke cities or blow up a planet with a strike from orbit. Major firepower.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Splicer posted:

Non turn based but Planetary Annihilation lets you smash planets with other planets and some planets are lasers.

e: and stellaris with the apocalypse dlc has planet crackers, but they're endgame content.

e2: Planetfall is turn based, very fun, and has various doomsday weapons but again they're endgame tech options

Thank you for the recs, all of these look amazing (I hope my computer can run PA, that looks like exactly what I want)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you don't mind old games there still isn't much that compares to Planet Busters in Alpha Centauri

I've been meaning to try AC for a while. Is there a reccomended open source version like FreeCiv or should I just buy a copy of the game itself?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Splicer posted:

If you like the look of stellaris hold off a month or so, there's a big economy rework and dlc coming so it will definitely be on sale.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm running on a computer not really optimized for gaming so it looks like if I picked this one up I'd have to play it on my PS4. Is the console version any good (I mostly just play Matrix wargames and OpenTTD on my computer, so I don't really know if it can run a fancy graphics game like that even if it looks wicked cool)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tuyop posted:

I've got an interesting situation:

My brother in law has some real bad PTSD and can't play games with guns and scary poo poo. We'd like to play PC games together anyway. I think he's interested in crafting games and things like that, and I think first-person games are preferred. I'm just kind of at a loss when thinking of what games might work for him though. Any ideas?

Stardew Valley isn't first person but otherwise fits the bill perfectly. It's very soothing without being childlike and also fun as hell to play with a friend

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Loddfafnir posted:

Hi there,

I'm looking for something but I'm not entirely sure of my criteria

* many builds : either at each game start if a single game is short, or with a free and complete respec if the game is long
* an interesting or innovative fight system, methodical / slow if realtime and turn-based otherwise
* something sandboxy or with many interactions
* not very grindy

Dredgers could work but I found the game sluggish. Turn-based and with an auto-explore, it would have been perfect.

Wildermyth , Gloomhaven and Low Magic Age fit relatively well. They are not sandboxes but the open world aspect is satisfying and the combat system is interesting enough for Wildermyth and Low Magic Age (and quite innovative for Gloomhaven)

Chronicon is the only hack and slash I like, thanks to the free respec, the interesting loot, the fun and dumb builds and the relatively low grindyness. But the combat system isn't extremely interesting.

Horizon's Gate was full of potential but it had too much of Final Fantasy Tactics (I didn't like Fell Seal at all for instance). I didn't like grinding jobs for the side characters, and while I liked the lean combat system, I disliked having to choose the orientation of each character after each turn. It was like a third of each turn for almost nothing.

Caves of Qud will probably be perfect, I'm waiting for the next big update.
Tales of Maj'Eyal is nice but too repetitive between each games with the fixed order of quests and dungeons, and I dislike the huge difficulty spikes hidden in the middle of uninteresting critters. I didn't like DCSS for some of these reasons but the last time I played was a long time ago and I should probably try again. I think Cogmind would fit but my screen is too small and I can't see well even my the max sized fonts.
Rift Wizard fits my criteria but it's not what I'm looking for right (hence some criteria are probably missing).
Trials of Fire is nice too.

I love deckbuilders roguelites but they are not very sandboxy or open wordly, and you can't really build what you want each game (which is something I love but not what I'm looking for right now). Chrono Ark is apparently a bit different so I bought it to see if it could do the trick.

I played (and love) most of the famous roguelikes (except CDDA) but it's not exactly the kind of games I'm looking for either.

If I manage to learn how to play Exanima it will be quite nice.

Master of Magic is perfect and I'm looking for this exact same freedom.Dominions 5 is nice but I play only in solo which is not ideal, and there is too much micro management during the endgame. I'm impatiently waiting for Conquest of Elysium 5.

Thanks!

DCSS?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cracker King posted:

Is there a good ‘babby’s first war game?

I’ve played RTS and 4X and tactics games but never hex based war games.

I like management games and sims and figured I’d give war games a shot.

Shadow Empire caught my attention in a recent RPS article and I never messed with supply lines and logistics.

I am not looking for The Best war game -more like - the most Approachable to the war game genre overall?

I’d prefer modern and sci-fi settings over fantasy but not picky if it’s a good game.

Panzer General/Panzer Corps
Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa
Unity of Command 2

Shadow Empire is probably diving into the deep end but its not impossible, itll just take a sec to learn.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Buy him C&C remastered!

Yeah I picked this up recently (having never played it before) and it's a TON of fun. Holds up really well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Had to send my gpu for an rma and now i am without a gpu just when i have some time to spend on Disco Elysium final cut. I am left with my 8600k with its igpu (Intel® UHD Graphics 630) . Any recommendation on something to kill time with while i wait for my gpu to return to me? I already have spent way too much time on FTL so dont want to do that again.

OpenTTD is my go to "lovely computer" game

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If I want to learn Yu-Gi-Oh which is the best game to do so? (on PC/steam)

Ideally something where I can just buy a game and not have to purchase individual cards or booster packs but if that doesn't exist then I'm not picky.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

whats the best poker game on Steam?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I've been playing Fallout 4 again and again all I care about is settlement building.

I'm looking for a game where you manage a compound or small town. I want to manage the people inside, their roles and appearance, and build a fort against zombies or robots or whatever.
Preferably I'd control my own character, instead of it being a god-game. I don't really want to go adventuring, I'd rather send out parties and decorate while they are risking their lives, haha.

I'm about to try out State of Decay, even though it's an older game. I hear it's close to what I want.

Kenshi is PERFECT for you

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for a good game where you can design your own mechs. Preferably strategy/tactics based than action, but I'm wicked interested in any game that has a in depth/cool mech-designing and building aspect (on PC please)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That does look perfect. Ty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Galick posted:

Anyone know any good Kerbal-like games that aren't Kerbal? Building things, testing them, preferably actually difficult and requiring thought to put together instead of a puzzle game!

Automation