Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Walked posted:

So I've been on my "return to gaming and actually enjoying it" tear lately

Kicked off with Diablo 4 which was a very fun time, but not into seasonal stuff.
Remnant 2 has been GREAT; and I'm more or less hanging in there with the difficulty (the first 10 hours was a shitshow though).
Baldurs Gate 3 is awesome, but not entirely my jam - playing a campaign with a group and that's probably good enough for me there.

This has me wanting something next. I'm finding I'm enjoying:
- Some degree of RPG elements, though I'm seemingly flexible on to what extent
- Interesting gameplay, unique builds, some depth to gameplay (be it in terms of combat mechanics and/or RPG elements.
- Prefer a single player focus (have enough coop I'm running currently)

I'm intrigued by exploring more in this area. True, proper hard soulslikes probably are outside my grasp but I could be wrong about this.

Basically, I'm looking for something else with a similar feel to Remnant 2, but maybe a little easier single-player. Ideally something with the ability to freely save and/or with tight mission loops (and not a huge open world where you can die at any moment and lose your progress)

Any suggestions? Might be a niche request here

You'll probably love Crystal Project (it's check pointed but very generously).

Have you played any Fromsoft Souls games? They're much more forgiving than people say they are, especially as time goes on. Elden Ring or Dark Souls 3 are good first ones. The truth about all souls games is that you don't actually lose much on death, souls are basically worthless and easily built up again. You do lose time on the run back but the check pointing has got better and better with time and the secret to most souls games is that actually you can run past everything you don't want to fight.

Dead Cells is also great.

Death's Door might be a good one to try as well. (Though no unique builds)

Nova Drift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

An Actual Princess posted:

are there any games that give the vibe of "you are extremely not supposed to be here". style of gameplay unimportant, vibe is all i'm after. kind of like maybe when you clipped into mount hyjal in classic wow and saw all the unfinished poo poo. or just super hostile landscape. idk i just want to feel like i'm seeing something i shouldn't

Some parts of:

Stanley Parable
The Forgotten City
The Beginner's Guide
Infra
Sunless Seas (and Sky) + A House of Many Doors

All of:

Echo
The Magic Circle
NaissanceE

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really like the structure of snowrunners - open world, lots of missions, you can pick up missions on your way to other objectives, you're in general working to improve the world -

but I don't like the "drive in mud/snow. get stuck. get unstuck." which is effectively the entirety of gameplay.

Are there games out there with all the packaging but a different core loop?

e: not euro truck sim 2 please, I've played that and each delivery takes too much time. I actually like the bite-sized routes in snowrunners where you can deliver something in under an hour (mud aside).

Deathstranding

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Unheard, maybe

Seconded

Play the DLC mission for more Golden Idol style complexity

Tim Sheinman has made a bunch of Obra Dinnlikes
https://tim-sheinman.itch.io/

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/27678/The_Detective_Collection/

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

An Actual Princess posted:

what are some good games where i can make builds and put points into skills. i just love filling out skill trees but NOT if i'm intended to fill out the whole thing eventually, i should have to make decisions/builds

Salt and Sanctuary has a complex skill tree and as a souls-like doesn't expect you to complete it
https://codepen.io/ffhighwind/full/BxNKXy

You said you've played many roguelikes and they didn't scratch the same itch as TOME but have you played Rift Wizard?

Do tech trees count? There's AI War 1 and 2

Does monster collecting and ability assignment count? Siralim Ultimate (You'll get everything eventually but the game is revolves around having very specific builds at any one time, there's no moment where you can do everything)

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 6, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

nachos posted:

Are there any rpgs, old or new, where the world just moves on despite what your character does? Like instead of accumulating dozens of side quests that can be finished in whatever order, I’d rather have a quest expire/fail because I chose to get distracted by something else.

Star Traders: Frontiers
https://store.steampowered.com/app/335620/Star_Traders_Frontiers/

and also the space trucking one kind of

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Recommendations for good and/or interesting nonogram games on PC?

Paint it Back
Logiart Grimoire
Cross Pixels
Pepper's Puzzles
Voxelgram

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
State of Decay 2 has a lot of that

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

My mom heard the new iphone is really good for gaming and wants to poke around in some "real" games (her words). She mostly just plays stuff like tetris and bubble pop atm.

Any suggestions for ios games that will show off the fancy graphical capabilities of the new phone but still remain accessible for someone who's not much of a gamer?

The Room series

The Professor Layton games, Ace Attorney

Stardew Valley

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I just finished Baldur's Gate 3 and I'm looking for some RPG suggestions.
I strongly prefer RPG's with character-driven narratives with interesting party members. Less boring fantasy politics and angsty teens fighting god with the power of friendship, and more charismatic villans and weirdo party members.

Baldur's Gate 3 and Divinity Original Sin 2 were very good.
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous was extremely good, I played through it two times and planning a third playthrough, despite hating the combat system.
Disco Elysium is obviously amazing.

JRPG's are also fine but I somehow doubt that there's really anything to my taste in that genre. I tried a bunch of different ones to no success.

JRPGs
Tales of Berseria - You play the "monsters" of the setting. Widely praised for it's weirdo party members
Chrono Trigger - You want charismatic villains and weirdo party members here it is. A classic for a reason.
RPG Time: The Legend of Wright - A very light. but style heavy rpg where the gimmick is you're playing an RPG after school on top of a bench inside a student's notebook with your friends.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception - More a visual novel with strategy rpg sections than an RPG wholly. But people really love the writing on this one.

Western Games
Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire - There's quite a bit of fantasy politics but generally you don't have to interact with it
Guardians of The Galaxy - Highly praised for its interactions with party members
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Honestly, it takes a lot man power and budget to do good mechanics with charismatic villains and weirdo party members
Undertale - People love all those wacky characters
The South Park games are pretty fun
The Sunless games/House of Many Doors - Not much character based combat but you do pick up a bunch of weirdos
Alpha Protocol - if you can find a key for sale

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Niric posted:

I've always had interesting recommendations from this thread based my my piss poor, extremely vague descriptions, so here goes.

I got starfield the other day (having little experience of Bethesda games beyond not really getting into Skyrim) and while from the couple of hours I've played it's ok if not exactly grabbing me, one thing kinda bugs me. You're supposed to be this rookie miner, but right from the start you're able to wipe out whole base of pirates without breaking a sweat, which doesn't really chime with the character.

It got me thinking about how I enjoy games where you start at the bottom and work your way up in a way that's broadly "realistic", especially if it works within the story. The main one I was thinking of was kingdom come: deliverance, where I found it tough but still enjoyable to start with in terms of the game mechanics, being a challenge but where the mechanics all seem to be intuitive (like the combat, or where you do things to get good at a thing for instance) and it makes sense for the character to barely know how to fight or read, and that's reflected in the gameplay. I liked that the sense of progression in terms of abilities and skills broadly fits both with you (the player) learning and getting better at the game mechanics and you (the character) learning and developing within the world/story, and, obviously to a limited extent, it did feel like you're playing as just a normal person rather than a chosen one or a mighty hero or whatever.

Other things in this vein which I love, though less story driven or quite so neat in terms of story progress and learning the game fitting together, are things like football manager or crusader kings, where you can (by choice) start with essentially nothing and make a game of working your way up. It helps that in both these there's also a vague sense of character development, in that you're playing as a specific character (one person in football manager, even if the "character" element there is minimal, or a series of named and defined characters in crusader kings). I'm looking for something like this rather than Civ or RTSes or grand strategy games where you're more of an guiding intelligence than a specific person.

It's not exactly that I want a hard game, because I don't think I'm very good at hard games, but I'd like something that's a challenge at the start while being intuitive and fun enough to get over the initial difficulties without having to invest lots of time and effort to really get to grips with the game and to understand how to play it.

I've tried playing guild 3 (from what people had said in this thread I think), and while it seems like exactly what I want, I'm finding it a real chore to get into and the mechanics aren't intuitive to me so I keep losing interest before I figure out how to do anything. And the sort of open world things that I generally like such as GTA or Red Dead or Sleeping Dogs don't have that same sense of starting small as a normal person. In all those games you can basically do most things and are pretty good at fighting or doing criminal stuff or whatever right from the start, even if the games themselves have a narrative based around starting at the bottom of the criminal ladder. Progress always feels like it's being held behind completing a specific mission rather than organic.

I've explained this really badly, but I definitely know what I'm looking for, even if I can't really describe it. The type of game is less important than the vibe I think

Hadean Lands starts with you making cleaning solutions and ends with you making incredibly powerful alchemic potions. It's also one of the best Metroidbranias. Really captures the experience of going from janitor to master alchemist.

Many, many Choice of Games CYOAs follow this structure but check out
-Choice of Magics
-Choice of Rebels

In a similar vein, The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

I'm looking for something from the past ~3-4 years along the lines of an investigation/mystery/detective-ish game that has good music and kinda just leaves me to do my own thing and uncover things at my own pace. Paradise Killer is what I most recently played and is what I'm really looking for more of, I've been playing Broken Reality and it matches the vibes I want but I'm just not having a lot of fun. I played Road 96 a few months back and that also fit pretty well into what I'm looking for here even if it's not as strong on the investigation element. having a little more involved gameplay than those three games is also cool but I don't want anything with combat. I want to have an actual world/physical space to explore and roam around in so from my understanding, all of the Ace Attorney games are out of this discussion

some other stuff I'm going to look into already but is maybe a little off from what I want: Cloudpunk, Detective Di: the Silk Rose Murders, Return of the Obra Dinn because I've never played it, Tangle Tower, Growing My Grandpa!

thanks folks

Painscreek Killings and its spiritual successor Scene Investigator
Gone Home and Tacoma
Everybody's Gone To Rapture
Wayward Strand
Hadean Lands
The Forgotten City
The Norwood Games
The Invisible Hours
Scanner Sombre
Elsinore

Everything below:

Hwurmp posted:

Obra Dinn is what you want
Disco Elysium
Outer Wilds
Heaven's Vault maybe, although the exploration is kind of janky
Hypnospace Outlaw if surfing an internet counts as exploring

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 31, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Vookatos posted:

I've been playing a lot of open-world games recently and have been disappointed by a lot of them. So many of them just don't let you explore. Spider-Man, Cyberpunk, Cloudpunk, and some others just plop dots all around your map so you don't really interact with the map and just move from point A to B.

On the contrary, I really liked Ghostwire: Tokyo because it was the opposite. The game was a bit light on side-content but the collectathon aspects felt good. Same with aformentioned for different reasons Paradise Killer.

Are there any more games where you can explore around and find stuff like that? I also did like Starfield's few initial hours of running around, discovering landmarks and new weapons before realizing that every landmark feels nearly the same and that the game is way too large for its own good.

Obviously such a thing is also present in imsims like Thief or Prey, where you need to carefully examine a smaller map, look for secrets, pick stuff up... Obviously I'm familiar with platformer collectathons and recent Zeldas.

It's a really vague ask, but I hope there are some people here who get the desire to just collect poo poo within a finely crafted enviroment.

Knytt
Alba: A Wildlife Adventure
Crystal Project
The Supraland Games
Morels: The Hunt
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicle
Eastshade
Umurangi Generation
Minit
Mirror Moon EP

Maybes

Submerged Hidden Depths
Death Stranding
The Pathless
Miasmata
Broken Reality
AER: Memories of Old
Abzu
Fract OSC
Anti-Chamber

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Vookatos posted:

Those are some really interesting games! I've played Umurangi, Minit, and Crystal Project (the exploration of the last one is a blast!), and the others look very cool! Didn't expect to get a bunch of really weird niche games recommended considering I can compare what I want to a lot of pretty popular games and big RPGs. Feel like I have a nice long list of what to check out now when I'm in the mood for this stuff!

No worries, I've been chasing a similar need for a while so I've dug deep over the years.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm waiting till Black Friday to get a new graphics card and looking for something to hold me and my gf over until we play Alan Wake 2.

We don't really have a tv show to watch, or a game to play together right now, so I'm looking for something that's like both. We've already played Quantum Break and Alan Wake. We don't love those games, but they have fun structured narratives that we enjoy the momentum and twists of. We don't really like watching multiple LONG cutscenes (like more than 10-15 minutes) like there were in Quantum Break. Having a 10 minute cutscene, followed by 10 minutes of gameplay, followed by another 10 minute cutscene is ok. We like some Give and Take with cutscenes and gameplay.

The game has to be in English and fully/mostly voice acted. We were replaying the Witcher 3 and we love the writing in that, but the open world element makes it a bit of a slog compared to what we want, especially for the person who isn't playing the game and exploring and looting.

We like 80's action/horror and fun supernatural weird stuff like Twin Peaks. We don't really like fantasy, but the Witcher 3 is a exception because it has a great sense of humor and a somewhat psychedelic feel we can connect with.

There's the Wales Interactive Games: https://www.walesinteractive.com/ and https://store.steampowered.com/developer/WalesInteractive

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy from what I hear is paced with sections of walk and talk followed by a bit of gameplay and then back to the walk and talk.

As Dusk Falls

Road 96

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's time for an evergreen question: what are the best games to play while listening to podcasts?

Here's what I have already:

In general:

- any diablolike works once I get a build up and running.
- repetitive vehicle sims that let me do a task (i.e. deliveries)
- casual puzzles that aren't hard (jigsaw puzzles, picross, sudoku)

are great and I know most of these.

But - am I missing anything? What do you play while chillin' and listening to podcasts?

The Sealed Ampule doesn't require much thought and only gets more and more optimized in its dungeon crawling.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for a good "Crusader Kings" type experience where I can rule a medieval (or fantasy ideally) court and do political intrigue w/ characters and stuff, that can run on a mid power laptop.

King of Dragon Pass and The Six Ages series
https://store.steampowered.com/app/352220/King_of_Dragon_Pass/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/881420/Six_Ages_Ride_Like_the_Wind/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2278010/Six_Ages_2_Lights_Going_Out/

They're janky but The Guild series
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/28165/The_Guild_Franchise_Pack/

Sands of Salzaar is a diablo/mount and blade a-like that's in a humble bundle right now (reviews say buggy and inconsistent translation)
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/weplay-expo-discover-china-indies

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

It looks almost like a pie in the sky game that can't really exist. It's a cross between your Bethesda Style sandbox and a JRPG? Or, if it's better left experienced blind (I can see an element of forth wall breaking in the store page), I'll just toss it on my wishlist.

Nah, there's not much to spoil with Crystal Project. The plot is pretty threadbare and jokey on purpose and it's open about what the game is from the very start.

It plays nothing like a Bethesda game.

Going to chuck in a recommendation for ASTLIBRA as an indie JRPG which is probably going to end up as my game of the year. It has a tonne of tricks up it's sleeve.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 13, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Do you go out into a big world and do ~whatever? That's the impression I got from the store page, that you could just sort of step out the door, pick a direction, and go.

Regardless I'm going to play Trails in the Sky for now and wait for a sale, but I've added a half dozen or more games to my wishlist from the recommendations, so thanks everyone.

Nope, it's more like you can do sequence skips through platforming and do exploration via puzzle platforming. Think metroidvania rather than Bethesda.

There's definitely an order to things that you can break up in your own way.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kennel posted:

Has anyone done a decent GTA1-2 style game? Retro City Rampage appeared to be something like that, but had pretty bad driving mechanics IIRC.

Don't know if it's decent but https://store.steampowered.com/app/2112820/The_Godfeather__A_Mafia_Pigeon_Saga/

Searching Steam:
There's a demo for this https://store.steampowered.com/app/1482380/Maniac/

A BR https://store.steampowered.com/app/308600/Gene_Shift_Auto/

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 15, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

I forgot the name of a game I played once: it's free, most of the screen taken up by a map of the world. You play as a rogue AI, and your job is to evolve by spreading through the world's network of computers (to start with), but if you act too aggressively, you risk getting discovered and hunted or destroyed by the humans.

You're looking for this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I'm looking for some fairly modern games of any genre that have brain tingling loot drops, any recommendations ? :)

What do you mean by brain tingling loot drops?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gnoman posted:

My 13 year old nephew is getting a PS5 for Christmas, and will need games. I have no idea what decent games are currently out for the system, because I've been out of that part of the console ecosystem for quite a while. Skimming lists is of limited use, because so many modern games don't actually tell you what kind of game they are.

Horror games are the obvious priority - he's downright obsessed with FNAF - but anything that's good is worth the mention. Age rating isn't too important, that's for his mother to filter out.

Horror that's age appropriate (13's kind of hard to target well on that front, FNAF is just a little above as safe/kid friendly as horror gets. I'm assuming you want a horror atmosphere, light violence, and jump scares but no actual depictions/mention of rape or torture or realistic child abuse) and not so indie that it hasn't been ported to PS5 is hard.

But

Inscryption

The Amnesia Games (I don't think they have anything other than horror elements that would be kid inappropriate, but you might want to check game by game)

Resident Evil 4

The Little Nightmares games

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

can i get a recommendation for a game about trading?

like, you go into a port of call, buy goods, travel to another port, sell those goods for a profit, buy more goods, repeat

it can be either a space setting (as in Elite) or a historical setting (as in Merchant Prince)

what I'm looking for is that it has to be relatively contemporary in terms of UI/UX

Sailwind is the one you want! Focused with exhaustive detail on exclusively three things: sailing, navigation, and trading.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1764530/Sailwind/

also Vagrus: The Riven Realms, StarTraders Frontiers

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Artelier posted:

Are there any good card battlers with single player modes? I finally got off the Marvel Snap train (decided it took wayyy to much of my time) and I thought I really like the experience, but just want it "complete" in a single player campaign/set of challenges, if that makes sense. Doesn't have to be purely single player, but it should be beefy.

Bonus points if matches are relatively snappy. Off the top of my head I assume there's probably a Yu Gi Oh variant or a Magic variant that does this, but I'm not familiar with the franchises so not sure which one(s) have good solo play, and also which can onboard me. Also open to other games/series

I guess to be clear, I want that one on one with another guy who made a deck from the same collection feeling, and not like, say, Slay the Spire (which I am still playing and love).

The single player component of Legends of Runeterra is really good. A top tier experience.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
4+ player co-op is rare but maybe Sven Co-op? Necesse?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

xiw posted:

Cheers, necesse looks promising. We tried a little serious sam and 7dtd and they might be worth starting again - 7dtd's initial UI turned off some people pretty badly but worth a retry.

Core Keeper might work as well
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1621690/Core_Keeper/

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

occluded posted:

My partner is completely obsessed with Grindstone on iOS and I’m looking for similar things. She’s also loved Solitairica but didn’t immediately get in to slay the spire when I showed it to her, so if anyone can suggest an easy to pick up rogue-lite (emphasis on the lite) with a nice crunchy feel to it and cute characters, and preferably no micro transactions! iOS, switch or slow ish windows laptop for platforms.

Critter Crunch from the same people as Grindstone?

Brutal Orchestra? Dandy Dungeon - Legend of Brave Yamada -? Night of The Full Moon? Beglitched? Fidel Dungeon Rescue? Road Not Taken?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thread, throw me some games that are:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar
* Not EA or Ubisoft (i.e. doesn't require me to install a platform other than Steam/GOG to play)

For reference, I absolutely loved the Mercenaries games from almost 20 years ago. Just give me a game where I can cruise around, blow some poo poo up, run missions or ignore them if I feel like ignoring them, harming bystanders is discouraged but the game isn't going to stop you from doing so. Besides GTA, obviously.

No game is too obvious. I haven't really touched this genre since Mercenaries besides GTA. And decades-old games are fine with me. What's good?

The Earth Defence Force games have large enough levels that even though mission based it's got that open world feel and the mayhem is very high.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

If I want to play a space combat game that's not some kind of shooter, is there anything out there between Battlefleet Gothic and...uhh...Children of a Dead Earth?

lol
Conflicks - Revolutionary Space Battles

Homeworld
AI War 1 and 2
Crying Suns
Battlestar Galactica Deadlock
Holy Potatoes! We’re in Space?!
Space Run

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

No Dignity posted:

Are there any high quality classical platformers I could pick up in the Steam Sale? Not a metroidvania, not an extreme suffering & systems mastery game, not storygame just using platforming as its medium or a puzzle platformer, just like a Mario style game with good running and jumping and enough difficulty to stimulating?

New Super Lucky's Tale

Vibrant Venture

Ynglet

Spyro™ Reignited Trilogy

Sonic Mania

A Hat In Time

Castle of Illusion

Freedom Planet

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I forgot to mention

Corn Kidz 64

Spark The Electric Jester

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

McFrugal posted:

Alright I think I was too specific last time. I'm looking for a game with slowish progression involving developing personal power (like, RPG stats), where you gradually unlock/discover new locations and new skills or mechanics. Especially good if the best way to exploit the newly unlocked places isn't the most obvious one. Bonus points if you wind up leaving the game idle at points to develop skills without any direct intervention needed for minutes at a time.

Runescape fits some of what I'm looking for but it doesn't involve much unlocking or discovery.

Final Profit: A Shop RPG kind of works like that

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

malnourish posted:

Thank you for mentioning that game, I would have likely never heard of it otherwise. Finally something that might scratch the Recettear itch

I want to be very very clear that Final Profit is not an Recettear-like. You do not set prices, you grind materials to upgrade them. You do quests to find customers who behave in the same way every time. It's a grind so number go up narrative puzzle game. The pleasures are pure upgrade = number get larger.

While I haven't played Potionomics or Cusineer, I've heard those are more successful Racettear style games.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ohhyeah posted:

What can I play that’s like The Witness? Or how can I erase my brain to play The Witness again? Does the Talos Principle come anywhere close?

Coming out in a few months is Islands of Insight which is The Witness if it was an MMO. I had a great time playing the beta.

A short 2d Witness like is Linelith. A lot of line tracing with a few unexpected surprises and twists.

Lingo is The Witness but for words. Not as polished an experience as anything mentioned before but well worth playing and highly thought of.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Simiain posted:

Variations of this recommendation request have probably been made a million times, but I love Norco, love Disco Elysium, love True Detective.....any good games that hit that existential, magical-realism noiry vibe?

2nding Kentucky Route Zero (which was very influential to Norco)

Have you played the original existential magical realist game Night in The Woods?

PENTIMENT, PENTIMENT, PENTIMENT!

Way more noiry and existential than might appear at first sight.

and Scarlet Hollow might tick some boxes for you

There's also Genesis Noir

Persona 5?

Immortality if you're kinky

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 16, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Dessel posted:

Wow this thread was far beyond the first page even though it has bunch of new posts.

Trying to find something besides FF14 to play as my comfort food game as it has a dry spell (Yeah I know there's always stuff to do there but...) I *do* play hardcore content in FF14 too but what I'm looking for is basically...

- Comfort food game (So I can launch it after rough day and know what I'll be doing, maybe?)
- Chance to be social with random people, and that it has people around you or to play with without having to organise a lobby to play in.
- Pretty Princess dress up.
- Preferably not horrible monetization (I'd probably try Black Desert if I wasn't reticent about this).

WoW is not it because I do not really care to engage with its community no matter how much a raider I used to be. (If it has somewhat toxic community you can suggest one though).

edit: This is basically the same question I asked the last time :ughh:

Monster Hunter World might apply but drat that game requires engaging on another level. On another hand I haven't tried the game since getting my current rig (I do own it).
....Palworld looks chill at least but I don't think it has barely any meaningful dress up and requires lobbies for multiplayer I think?

Karmazoo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1661630/KarmaZoo/

Book of Travels
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1152340/Book_of_Travels/

Elden Ring?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's been a long time since I checked in on "survival games where you scavenge post-apocalyptic ruins of cities/towns." I've been watching a lot of Escape from Tarkov, and I'd like something similar but without the PvP. Something I can boot up and go looting after smoking a bowl. What's best right now? Is it still Fallout and STALKER?

E: PC and switch, would orefer PC recs

Maybe ZERO Sievert is what you're looking for?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1782120/ZERO_Sievert/

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for a mental time out "how is this supposed to be a game" game. Something engaging enough to grab my focus on for 15 minutes but with no mental effort involved and no way to do badly or even a way to do less well. Even a "find things" game contains the chance of not finding the things.

Ideally we're talking a pleasant ambient soundtrack overlaid on a nice ruined cityscape with a (no time limit) button I can click on to get some soothing text telling me well done.

e: button optional

I love the Logistical series for this. Little truck icons go from town to town delivering little product icons which make other icons to deliver. There's some strategy to it but not much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Something cozy and cute that two people can play/one can enjoy watching on one screen?

Partner needs some cheering up. Frog Detective 1-3 were good for this. haven Park as well.

Seal World or Lil Gator Game, maybe?