Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I love 4X space games. I don't like combat/military in 4X games. I just want to build up my colonies and economy in peace and sit back and watch it all merrily chugging along. Basically I'm looking for Anno with all combat options turned off... in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Contest Winner posted:

So this might be a weird one, but what are games where you get to buy and open booster packs? I liked the Pokemon Card Game Gameboy game as a kid, and I am playing a Yu-Gi-Oh game on my DS which is actually pretty fun even though I don't care about the cartoon or the real card game.

Try Highgrounds, it's got sort of a M:TG meets Pokemon thing going on.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Azathoth posted:

I'm looking for a game recommendation for something that is basically World of Warcraft's battlegrounds, but a separate game.

Take a look at Smite. It is a MOBA but it controls a lot like WoW instead of top-down RTS style controls. It has your typical MOBA 3-lane map setup but also a few other maps/modes like Arena (team deathmatch, essentially) and a Capture Point-style map called Domination. All of the "champions" are gods from real-world mythology. It's also free to play so you have nothing to lose. There's an SA thread here.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Ok, now I'm looking for meta. I want games where I'm meant to be at a computer terminal. Uplink and Defcon spring to mind, as does the game with the love story on the old school BBS. Even EVE Online, to an extent, i guess. Anything else?

I suppose desk-jockey games of any sort would fall here. What surprises have you guys got?

The upcoming social-networking-in-Star-Trek Redshirt might fit the bill.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I'm looking for a single player RPG with MMO style combat, meaning real-time turn-based via global cooldown.

In other words, I'm looking for something with a WoW-style combat system and philosophy where you can build a character, then think up complex cast orders to achieve max speed and efficiency, and where positioning can be important depending on the situation.

Ultimately I'd prefer a game with a WoW or Dark Souls style third person camera view, but I'm open to other options.

Have you ever played Final Fantasy 12? It might seem like an odd suggestion, but the combat is much more in the vein of an MMO than other FFs (with the exception of 11 and 14, obviously). You can actually "program" your party members to respond to events given certain conditions, and as you progress you unlock more complicated commands.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Uncle Ulty posted:

Here's maybe a weird one. I love me some collecting. I'm looking for some games that have a good chunk of unique things to collect, perhaps in a grid or checklist that can be filled out. Maybe they are useful in-game items displayed in a grid like in a Zelda style game, or a large collection of weapons like in a Dynasty Warriors, or even characters to recruit like in Suikoden. Even better is if these collectables can be upgraded like in Ratchet & Clank. if I've got some sort of graphical representation showing me how many Things I have left to collect that I get to fill in as the game progresses, then my OCD is happy.

Dark Cloud 2 for the PS2. Collecting and combining and teching andfishing and photographing and golfing and building and and and

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

I want a strategy civilization building game. I'd prefer something more Startopia than Civ V, if that narrows it down. I want to sperg out and make perfect little rows for my resource management instead of worrying about the Mongol/Orc/Space Nazi horde two spaces over about to gently caress me up.

There's got to be a ton of games like this, I just never played many empire building games so I don't know what's good.

While thematically it's not exactly city building Factorio fills the niche you're describing. There's a tiny bit of combat but you can disable it if you just want to build up a crazy system.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

I'm looking for a space exploration game. Not a space trading or space combat game, but a space exploration game. Space Engine with gameplay mechanics, or Kerbal Space Program with procedurally-generated planets, or a more modern Noctis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctis). Games where I can fly to new and unexplored worlds, land on them, and wander around. Being able to then build poo poo on those new unexplored worlds is a bonus, but not required.

By the way, if you haven't played Noctis, and you have any interest in exploration games at all, you should play Noctis.

If you don't mind roguelikes, there's always Prospector

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

It looks good, but I think I'll wait for development to finish before I make a purchase.

On that subject, how is Bionic Dues? It's half-off at GoG until the 22nd.

Like any Arcen game it's a little weird and rough around the edges and the tooltips are practically novellas, but the game itself is great. There's an overworld map of nodes that represent different mission types, and the missions themselves are quick turn-based affairs where you control one mech that is essentially 4 classes in that you can switch between at any time. Each class has very different abilities ranging from long-range, wide area nukes, to stealth, to hacking and repairing. The game lasts 50 "days" with each day being a mission, culminating in a final mission. The missions you choose to take on over the course of a game effect the final mission, for example, reducing the number of specific enemies or lowering their levels. It's a really under-appreciated game.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

This one will be difficult: I'm looking for a PC game in where after having played 20 hours or so you can look back to your exploits and say "I did this". Typical RPG story of ragtag band of misfits to big drat heroes (getting a castle in BGII, for example) doesn't work because it's something the story does for you. Strategy games are a too hands off, because it isn't you doing the conquering.

Closest I've seen of what I want is the X series.

Mount and Blade is very much a reap-what-you-sow type of game.

edit: beaten

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

black.lion posted:

I want to play a game that is surprisingly high-quality, you know, those hidden gems that you'd never expect to be one of the best games you've played in years. I'm thinking of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. I'd like something exciting, with non-mediocre visuals and solid gameplay (nothing 2D or puzzle-based)

Bonus points if it's sorta cheap.

I hear the new Wolfenstein is surprisingly good.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

JollyGreen posted:

Looking for a multiplayer PC game with an active community. Strategy games in particular, or an FPS. Not Counterstrike, Battlefield, or CoD. Not Starcraft 2. No MMOs.

Since you're familiar with MOBAs, have you tried Smite? It scratches that FPS itch and has all the trimmings of a MOBA (though it is much closer to LoL than Dota 2 in execution) and has a surprisingly okay community.

edit: also it's free to play

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 9, 2014

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Three games spring to mind: Skyrim, which is completely single player and is a game you could easily lose a few hundred hours to between the base game and modding. Guild Wars 2, which, despite it being an MMO can be enjoyed solo for the most part. Then there's WoW, which has been my go-to game for something to do while I listen to podcasts. PvP is absolutely optional and even raiding these days doesn't require being in a guild due to the LFR tool, which matches you with a bunch of pubs to run fairly easy raids.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm looking for a game with a ton of systems and numbers that I can lose myself in that all don't necessarily contribute toward the same thing (say, combat, which I could honestly do without in a lot of games) but all interact to some extent. I'm thinking of something like the house building segments of Breath of Fire 3 or all of Disgaea. It doesn't necessarily have to be an RPG or SRPG, I'm open to any genre really.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Anno might appeal. It's a city building series with a heavy focus on production chains and trade. Go with 1404 gold or 2079 depending on the aesthetic you want.

I've put a couple hundred hours into 2070. Great suggestion though.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tagra posted:

If you like making money, you might like Patrician. If you like soccer/football you might like Football manager. If you like reading wikis, you might like any game created by Paradox.

Thanks! I'll check these out.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a turn-based strategy game with fixed starting armies -- no income or unit production -- with two-person, asynchronous multiplayer (i.e. upload turn files to a central server or play by email -- both people don't have to be connected at once.)

I was thinking of picking up Elven Legacy, but it looks like it only has hotseat multiplayer. Something similar would be great, though.

Check out Mode 7's games, Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex. They are different in theme (gun-play and football, respectively) but they both fit the bill of what you're describing.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How close to complete/release-ready is Frozen Cortex? It's very tempting but I don't really care for Early Access much.

It's a pretty straightforward game and the core is there and very solid--matchmaking, stats and leaderboards, replays, a few different gametypes. I picked it up about 6 months ago when it first released to Early Access (under the name Frozen Endzone; they changed it to downplay any connections to American football, which it is not) and it was extremely playable and fun, albeit fairly simple. They've since patched in stats for individual players and some more bells and whistles so I imagine it's pretty close to a release state, but I haven't played it lately to check out the changes myself.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

So I kicked open Endgame: Singularity again the other day for a laugh and was wondering if there's anything at all like it out there you guys can recommend.

What is it? Well it's a game where you start out as an AI that achieves self awareness and you have to use your CPU power to earn money, research technologies and purchase real-estate you can house servers in for more CPU power basically. It ends with you leaving earth and achieving transcendence. If the humans figure out you exist though, they'll hunt you down. It's very basic sadly but I hope someone has done something similar.

Reminds me a lot of Uplink, even down to the UI. You're a hacker and gradually upgrade your computer components by performing hacking contracts.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

Remember when most games had legitimately scary sections just normally? (Max Payne, Half Life, Doom etc)

Let us not forget the haunted house in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. When I first played it I was completely unprepared for the pure horror of that part of the game (and that early!) and it blew me away.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

archerb posted:

Anyone know any good multiplayer trivia games? I came across Triviador a while back, but it has cash shop elements and it's annoying when someone snipes your tower and wins on the last turn.

I want to pretend I'm on a gameshow basically.

You want You Don't Know Jack. Trust me on this.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/33692/

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a game where I can ball out of control very quickly, but still have fun decimating dudes with like cool powers and stuff. Summoning would be a cool thing, but really anything that lets me destroy poo poo.

Have you every played Nox? It's an ARPG in the vein of Diablo, but I hesitate to make the comparison because the focus of Nox is more about using your skills tactically and it has a crunchy feel that very much stands the test of time. There's a summoner class and you can crush dudes with a giant fist from the heavens. It's $6 on gog.com.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

This is a bit of a tricky one. I'd like a game I can play with a group of friends. It should be something with permanent and interesting character advancement, not just some FPS unlock system. It would also be cool if we could build a base or somehow make a mark on things. I guess what I'd like is an MMO that is not bad (I've played FFXIV and while it's good it doesn't really fit).

Check out Warframe. It's a free-to-play game about space ninjas, all group-based co-op missions, and you can build a clan dojo and custom place doodads.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
How is RCT3? I've been sitting on it forever and been eyeing it this week but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Any good Roguelikes for the PC

Specifically "I move, Enemy Moves." one pc / party kind of game play.

Brogue. Traditional roguelike but very easy to pick up for the genre.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm looking something with RPG elements with a bunch of interlocking systems, nothing grognardy necessarily, but something I can tackle in chunks and zone out to while listening to podcasts. System and strict genre doesn't matter.

I know that's really vague, but basically I'm looking for Dark Cloud 2. But I've played that game to death. Diablo 3 on consoles also fit the bill for a while.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

I need a game where you spend most of the time barely scraping by, supplies bleeding out, but if you play well and the RNG rolls well (ideally more of the former than latter) you can find yourself turned into an unstoppable killing machine. Think of FTL when you get 3 or 4 burst lasers with a preigniter :supaburn:

XCOM: Enemy Within. All of the shots taken by your squad and by enemies is a percent chance, modified by cover, angle of attack, flanking, etc. It's very easy to lose a squaddie or your entire squad early on by getting unlucky/making poor decisions, but over the course of the game you research new items, genetically modify your dudes, or turn them into half-mechs that run rampant on the battlefield.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
It's been a long time so I might be missing details that would disqualify it based on your criteria, but your description reminded me of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

The one twist is that you are too weak to start with to beat the game initially, and it's meant to be replayed multiple times with your character bringing some of his power forward on resets. One man's grind is another man's bread and butter so I thought it's worth mentioning.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Canemacar posted:

I've got an itch that needs scratching. I've been wanting to play a good sci-fi game, but most of the ones I see on Steam are FPS or RTS. Not really what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in exploring alien environments and soaking in the atmosphere than blasting bad guys. Building an outpost or something sounds like fun. The only game I've seen that seems up that alley is Empyrion, but it's still an early access game. I've also heard of Elite: Dangerous, but wasn't there some internet drama about that game that I would want to steer clear of?

Look into Maia. It's still Early Access (and seems to have been for a long, long time) but it's pretty playable. It's basically a simulation game in which you're setting up a base on an alien planet.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I just watched Oblivion (The Tom Cruise movie) and it got me in the mood for desolate sci fi adventures. The problem is, Steam is FLOODED with first person survival sandbox trash.
I tried the Rodina demo, and while it controlled like hot rear end, it was rather pretty and enjoyable. I love the feeling of open loneliness that comes with that kinda game.

Can anyone recommend a good "desolate" sandbox sci fi game?

I've been playing GRAV. It's a little rough around the edges (Early Access) but it has its hooks deep into me. It's part of that wave of Minecraft/survival games but the "survival" elements are minimal, the basebuilding is fully realized, and it has this very compelling MMO-like advancement structure. The planets/moons are procedurally generated; it reminds me a bit of a 3D Starbound, setting-wise. You also get the ability to glide, a land vehicle, and a jetpack fairly early on letting you explore these really beautiful, desolate alien planets. It's on sale at the Humble Bundle store for $13.39 right now and includes a Steam key.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I have a group of old RL friends I play online with pretty regularly and we think MOBA games would be a good way to get us all in a big battle against each other, but a couple of them are either sick of or outright dislike fantasy settings. Any good MOBAs that aren't high fantasy? Something with a historical setting perhaps?

Have you checked out Smite? It's free to play and the playable characters are all gods and goddesses from real world religions in mythologically/historically-inspired settings like Mount Olympus, the Colosseum, etc.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I have, and I like the 3D perspective of it a lot instead of top-down. But it still really has that high fantasy feel to it even if the mythologies are real. My friends are looking for something totally outside of that, like historical war, post-apocalyptic, space sci-fi, etc. I remember hearing about SOE planning a WWII MOBA a while ago but I haven't heard anything recently. I'm surprised more people haven't broken out of that pseudo-LoL setting.

In that case, two other games come to mind:

- Bloodline Champions eschews the typical MOBA trappings of lanes, minions, etc. for straight up 3v3 team deathmatch. It's top down, like LoL, but uses WASD for movement and mouse for aiming, unlike LoL. In terms of setting it's pretty unique. I guess I would describe it as tribal. It's a hell of a fun game with a small but dedicated community. Matches are quick and dirty.

- Shards of War isn't very well known in the US and UK as it is Russian-made, but it's a very competent MOBA that is closer to LoL in the trimmings but also has the same control scheme as Bloodline Champions. It's got a near-future urban sci-fi feel to it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Eopia posted:

I've been looking for a game similar to Cybernator or Metal Warriors for the SNES lately, but have been completely lost on finding anything.

Check out CRYPTARK http://store.steampowered.com/app/344740/

Don't be fooled by Early Access, there's a full game here and it's only going to get better. Warning: it's hard as balls.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

CatAteSeven posted:

I'm interested in a game that lets me experience space-fleet style combat, with big ol ships broadsiding each other. It can also have smaller ships and the like, but I'm looking for something that definitely has that "big fleet combat" feel. Single player or multiplayer is fine, as well as the game featuring other elements, such as trade or rpg style things.

I've played X3, which while having some of what I want, both doesn't whet that appetite and also doesn't quite have the feel I'm looking for.

I'd also be down with playing a space fleet game, where the ships are in the water. On that note, is World of Warships any good or is it a horrible grind requiring many many mods like WoT?

Look into Fractured Space, it's 5v5 multiplayer and the ships feel like fat submarines in space.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

CatAteSeven posted:

is that in a good way, or in a bad way?

Um, it just is. I'm just saying that these aren't zippy space cars, they are hulking behemoths. They feel big and powerful. If that floats your space boat.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

magpie posted:

Nice. I'll pick this Anno 1404 on the cheap. I'm seeing a lot of disgruntlement with the DRM on Anno 2070, is that still an issue? Is the one coming out in November shaping up nice?

Launching 2070 from Steam launches the Ubisoft launcher which THEN launches the actual game. Some people despise it, understandably. Personally I find it to be a minor annoyance at worst. And 2070 is worth it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

TorakFade posted:

My wife was asking for some "girl game" that she could play; some games she liked a lot were Katamari, Patapon, Locoroco, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Frets on Fire, The Sims. So basically old school cute platformers and weird japanese stuff.

Swearing and violence are a big no-no (although rolling up people in a giant ball then shooting them in the sky to become a star or whatever Katamari is about feels kinda abusive and violent to me, but hey)

Platform PC, possibly Steam, and bonus points if it's something we can play co-op - the PC is hooked to the TV and I have controllers.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Grow Home. Don't think there's co-op but it's a cute 3D platformer with a pretty unique and fun climbing mechanic.

Spiral Knights. Sort of a kiddy Diablo with some light MMO elements. Very easy to pick up and play although some of the monetization stuff might be a turn off. I guess this falls under "violence" but it's the equivalent of playing with wooden swords.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 29, 2015

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Oh, there's also Undertale, which I haven't personally played but is a recent media darling. It looks a lot like Earthbound and can apparently be played completely non-violently. Might scratch her weird Japanese game itch.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Space Bat posted:

I have a very weird, very specific request for a game. I was wondering if there's any diablo-style loot game that plays less like a Diablo style ARPG all about clicking, and more like a Dynaster Warriors-esque hack and slash game. Something where I can slash through tons of dudes, jamming on an attack button rather then clicking on dudes. Platform isn't a big deal, just wondering if a game like this is out there to sate my desire to slash hundreds of dudes while getting magic items for my character.

I've actually found Diablo 3 on the 360 to fill that niche well. You directly control your character which to me is vastly preferable to the constant clicking of the PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm looking for something to play while listening to podcasts. Something with progression, RPG elements, interlocking systems, collection mechanics, stuff like that. Nothing too story- and dialogue-heavy unless it can be safely ignored. I'm flexible on genre.

Past winners: Diablo 3, WoW, Destiny, Disgaea, Dark Cloud 2