Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I just got a finecast Eldrad in the mail. Holy poo poo. I should have done some research before i bought it. Absolutely horrible quality.

It's coming apart in some places, and absolutely warped to poo poo in others. Even the ok parts look like dick.

Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Miles O'Brian posted:

Its not "normal" in the sense that its supposed to be like that, so send it back. It is "normal" in the sense that it happens alot, yes.

Never ever ever buy finecast from ebay or anywhere that doesn't exchange.

Ordered it from ebay. Lesson learned :v:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Bavius posted:

F that noise, call up GW and demand a replacement. Then, once you get another, demand they replace that. Repeat until you have a model.

Took your advice. Called GW, they sent a new one. Hope it's not absolute poo poo this time.

Hixson fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 10, 2012

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

First time I've actually put any effort into painting aything. They still need basing, and the helmet lenses need painted. Otherwise I'm pretty proud of them.

Tear my hard work apart!

rest here -
http://imgur.com/a/NWGRq#2N40q

Hixson fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 11, 2012

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't care for the dudes with the pure white helmets, the faceplates need to be black I think. Otherwise you did a pretty great job. Black's a tough color to highlight, and you nailed it. The effect is a little off on the close up photos, maybe try a mid-highlight between the black and the highlight you're using to take a bit of the edge off of your lines?

Thanks for the advice. I got some Dire Avengers on the way that I'm going to paint up the same way. I'll give it a try.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Can anybody recommend a good sealer? The paint keeps rubbing off my metal mini's from just handling them :(.

Never had this problem with resin.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Devlan Mud posted:

Wash the metals before you paint them with dish soap or simple green (diluted) or something.

I would have, but I buy most of my stuff used. It came already base coated.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Painted up a couple warlocks. I'm pretty new, I think they're the best I've done as of yet.

Critiques welcome

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

These are very nice, but I would fix up that middle one's left eye.

Yeah it's pretty bad. I tested the technique on him first, then used it on the other two.

I was so frustrated with it, i just left it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Hellbeard posted:

I think I'm more impressed you haven't rage quit. This looks like the most tedious, frustrating thing in the world.

I couldn't do it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

When sealing my razorwing, the matte varnish gave the clear plastic canopy a nice hazy finish. Will going back over it with a gloss varnish or 'ard coat or something clear it up?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Gloss varnish brushed on might fix it, then a brushed on coat of matte varnish. Worth a try anyway.

I just tried it. It didn't make much of a difference.

O well, It doesn't look horrible. It can be high altitude ice build-up :thumbsup:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Fix posted:

Crossposting from the Infinity thread:

Well, it's not "done done", but it's as done as it's going to be for a while. Now available to play at Dark Tower Games in Bellingham, WA.

Holy poo poo you're in Bellingham? I used to go to Western (I live in Longview, WA now). I still visit friends there quite often, I was just there last weekend!

I've even bought a couple things from Dark Tower.

fake e: Table looks awesome!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

So I made a thing.

It's going on a city fight type board. It's supposed to be an unearthed/really old eldar thing.

I was going for broken asphalt with dirt underneath.

Also it was pretty easy to make!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Fix posted:

Looks cool, but for as clean as it is it looks like it fell out of space, rather than having been dug up.

What's it made of?

It's just a thin piece of plywood cut out on a band saw. The gems are made from drops of epoxy.

The base has Styrofoam in the middle with a bunch of rocks and sand out of my backyard glued to the back of a CD.

It is a little too clean. I've never weathered anything before. I might pick up some weathering powders next time i get a chance and give those a try.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Elf image dump-

Not my finest, but I'm pretty proud of them.

I should really start doing some oaths.

e : I just noticed the WB is different in every. Single. One of those photos. That is God awful.

Hixson fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 12, 2012

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I got bored of painting Eldar, so I painted this guy for a game of deathwatch next weekend!

lovely phone pics incoming

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

These look pretty drat good, nice work.

They look similar to the paintingclinic.com guy's eldar.

I think he did a guide for his fire prism. Might be worth checking out.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on painting white for my Empire State Troops? I want something that looks decent on the tabletop but I'm not trying to win any Golden Daemons.

Prime white.

If you have to prime dark for whatever reason; use darker color first then put the white down. Otherwise you'll be putting down like 5 layers to get good coverage. I use GW foundation Deneb Stone, Dawn stone works good too.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I use Army Painter matte varnish. Works pretty drat good.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Looks good to me.

I just got a pair of cheap bedside lamps from Fred Meyers and put daylight bulbs in them. Works pretty good.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

What do you guys do to weigh down slotted bases?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Fix posted:

Slotta bases.

You can cut a penny in two, or you can glue birdshot to the bottom of it, or fishing weights.

Or cut the tabs off your models, and mount them to a regular round base with a nickel under it.

Pennies it is. Thanks

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

Can anyone confirm if Army Painter's anti-shine matte varnish is a good, cheaper alternative to Testor's Dullcote? The TerranScapes guy says it is but I'd like to hear some of your opinions.

Also, any recommendations for a gloss varnish spray? Testor's Glosscote seems pretty pricey for the size of the can.

I use Army Painters anti-shine. I've never used Testor's so I'm not sure how it stands up to it. But it's worked great for me. Goes on easy, and gives a nice finish.

I would recommend it

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

They're adorable!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Has anybody ever used Army Painter colour primers? Specifically the Angel green.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SRM posted:

I've got a ton of their primers, including Angel Green. I'm waiting for my Dragon Forge bases to show up before I start painting my DA though. I've heard good things, but you have to use them slightly differently than regular spray primer/paints or else it ends up fuzzy.

Groetgaffel posted:

I use it for my necron vehicles, and aside from it's tendency to go on way too thick if I'm not careful with it, it works fine.

Thanks guys. I just ordered a can of it.

If it's anything close to the quality of their spray varnishes I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Has anybody used the GW Edge paints?

I don't even understand what they're for. Are they like 'ardcoat with color?

link

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

These look rad as gently caress. Is Firestorm Armada fun? From What I've seen the models all look pretty cool.

little space ships get me going.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah its pretty good, they post their rules for free download on their site as well.

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/wp/wp/wp-content/spartanimg/firestorm-armada-rulebook-download.pdf

Cool, thanks.

Hey, I used to play some awful 3rd person shooter with you and a bunch of other goons a few years back (cant remember the name).

I remember everyone turned into a bunch of crybabies and left your guild because you were hitler or something. O goons :allears:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Man I really like Zuzzy mats.

I don't like that my camera sucks rear end and doesn't do this justice :negative:

Nice work, it looks great!

Be careful how you store it. A friend of mine left his in the box it came in, leaned against a wall on a hot day and It permanently wrinkled one of the long edges. We were able to pull most of damage out with a heat gun, but you can still tell.

Hixson fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 22, 2013

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I painted up a LRC for my Dark Angels.

It's the first time I've tried any kind of weathering on a vehicle. I think it turned out pretty good.

e: Barrels will get drilled. I broke my drill bit unclogging a bottle of superglue heh

Hixson fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 24, 2013

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

Realllllllly loving that no matter how many times I heat it up and straighten it out the Force Rod on my Finecast Terminator Librarian keeps curving back again.

I feel your pain.

I generally though most of the hate for fine cast was blown way out of proportion, as I got a few pretty decent kits.

But these finecast harlequins are loving terrible. Pits, awful mold lines, bent pieces, and smaller parts, ( fingers/fine details) just not there.

It's the worst.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

CyberLord XP posted:

Yeah, you are paying for GWs customer support. Use it!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

If you got a bad cast then call GW and get more free casts.

Ive called and gotten a replacement before, it was even an eBay order without a box or batch number!

They really do have great customer service. It'd just be nice to have my $40 box of dudes not be terrible the first time.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Any thoughts on how I could improve on the theme and color choice? General feedback?

Hey cool, it's about time you posted up some of your dudes. Seeing your improvements through all the different marines is really cool. The last one looks ace.

As far as critiques go, you've pretty much nailed it down yourself. Helmet lenses would add alot, and i guess the highlights could be cleaned up a bit (i think they look fine). The color scheme owns, weathering looks great, and the bases work. I like them.

Now come back to WA and play with Panascope and me.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

One of you lovely people did a little write up about making metallic weapons and things show heat damage using a couple of washes. Did anyone save a copy and can you post it again?

I think this is what you're looking for -

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-to-paint-heat-stained-gun-barrels.html

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The green on his robes looks excellent, as does his sword. Did you airbrush it?

I think the black on his helmet could use a little more highlighting, it looks a little flat.

Also, when i paint gems, I like to add a little white dot towards the top to simulate reflected light, then hit them with a gloss varnish. It really makes them pop imo

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I just painted a crimson hunter -

Man, all the flaws really come out after uploading pictures :(.

I just plain forgot to do things

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for the kind words guys. I think I'm going to pick up another one soon, i'll post it up when its done!

They look disgusting. nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

drat, that is really loving cool.

Good idea.

E: NO MY OATHBREAKER AVATAR. f u mystery man

• Locked thread