Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm lusting after a Turbo X enough that I'm considering buying a) an automatic, b) from an obvious buy here/pay here lot, and c) flying to New Jersey to drive it 17 hours home.

http://positive-auto-sales-llc.hamm...urce=craigslist

On a scale of 1 to extended warranty buyer, how dumb is this idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

In true goon fashion, I'll now continue to solicit your advice for three more pages, then triumphantly post a thread where I show that I ignored everyone's advice, then defend my choice blithely at first but increasingly angrily.

I wonder how much turnover there is among them. I'd love a manual wagon X, but I know the odds of that are....laughable. There's a modded 6-speed for 12k in Boston (lol no), another auto for 15k in Wisconsin (lol), and that's about it.

I thought about an S60R or V70R, but a long talk with one owner reading down the list of things he'd fixed (around 12k in parts) on his cured me of that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Unload My Head posted:

So if you just want a reasonable turbo manual wagon from the mid-00's it would seem the choice is obvious.

Yes, of course, and I'm way ahead of you there. Calling right now about a 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero with XWD.

edit- holy poo poo, they actually did make a few dozen wagons of them:

http://9-5sc2012.com/

GD_American fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 21, 2018

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I have a 2008 Saab Turbo X that I'm about to put up for sale, since the wife and I are both working from home (and will carpool even when we do go back to the office, as our hours are similar and we work near each other). So I'm not looking to buy for a bit (certainly not until the used car market returns to some semblance of normalcy).

But- when I do, I'd like to get another fun car.

Budget- around $10-12k
Location- Mobile, AL
Type of car- agnostic. 2 or 4 doors, convertible or hardtop. Preferably something from this millenium (I'd rather drive cars than work on them). Cargo space/mileage/etc is not a concern. I just want it to be fun and at least somewhat reliable. Unique/weird cars are a plus.

I've done the Miata thing for a decade, and love them, but want something different. Someone put the Fiat 500 Abarth bug in my head with the magic words "insanely fun to drive", and I'd love to find out more about it. But I'd also like other recommendations for things to try. I like weird/unique cars (see first sentence), so Camaro/Mustang/etc probably isn't in the cards.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Once the market calms down, you'd probably be able to find a Fiesta ST in your price range. It's gonna be better and more reliable than a Fiat.

Not really weird, but not super common either. Probably best bang for the buck fun wise besides a Miata.

Do they have the same head gasket issues as the RS?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Number_6 posted:

Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice?

Woof, that top. GM needed about 50 years more of R&D before they should have tried a roadster. Definitely fits the outside-the-box criteria, but no thanks

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Chrysler Crossfire?

Are they any fun? I know they look weird enough

Cage posted:

2002-2005 thunderbird.

I'm trying to keep my midlife crisis at least somewhat camoflaged, so no. But definitely on the right track

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Loan Dusty Road posted:

You’d want to look at the super charged SRT6 version. The base version handles decent enough but isn’t fast with only 220 HP. I believe the supercharged one is 330. It shares the same engine and drivetrain as the Mercedes SLK 300.

hol-ee poo poo. I had no idea, and this is right up my alley. Thank you

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gangringo posted:

A computer controlled AWD car like the Golf R is noticably faster with the dual clutch, and Volkswagen manual transmissions are pretty poo poo as far as feel and feedback.

Also radar cruise control is life-changing on long trips and you need an auto for that to work.

My Accord has radar cruise and it's a manual. If VW couldn't do it, that's just their failure

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ethanol posted:

I just walked into the Toyota dealer and said I’ll pay msrp minus the mil rebate for the Tacoma and they said cool. I think the msrp thing is hugely regional, I hear people in CA see a markup of 5-10k on the exact truck I’m getting. Maybe try offering a few different dealers msrp and see if any fold right away

I can't remember whether this anecdote is from Tom McParland (car-buying guy at Jalopnik), but someone was shopping years ago for an Escalade for a client and almost every CA Caddie dealer wanted stupid markups for them, he ended up going to a Cadillac dealer in Montana who gave him a great price and said something to the effect of I'll sell to all of your clients gently caress those guys, they'll bitch to corporate but it's not my fault they don't know how to sell a car.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Alabama doesn't do that, and the cost of a ticket for driving on expired tags is far less than it costs me to register all 3 cars. Last August we were driving so little that I just let the reg lapse, and I'm waiting until this August to renew it. We still drive very little, so the gamble may pay off.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Curious to get some opinions on the cars I'm looking at.

quote:

Proposed Budget: 45k-55k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Sports sedan
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, 25 minute commute.
What aspects are most important to you? Power, handling, comfort/ergonomics, looks, reliability through at least the warranty period + 1-2 years. Would like something a little unique (I mean, it's replacing a frickin' Saab Turbo X)

Not interested in a BMW, Benz or a Caddy. Audis seem to be uncompetitive on price for their offerings.

So far looked at:

Volvo S60- loved the interior, best integrated touchscreen I've seen so far. Controls are slightly weird, but wouldn't be Swedish if it weren't quirky. Volvo's plusses are obvious, but it is seriously down on power against the competition (247hp).

Acura TLX- The Type S is available at a stretch, but I'm looking at the other trims too. I like the front of the car, but the interior is a little too similar to my wife's Accord.

Infiniti Q50- Beautiful outside, great seats. Odd lack of headroom, dash has a weird falling-away-from-you feel.

Still planning on looking at a Genesis G70 and an Alfa Romeo Giulia. Maybe a Lincoln. Haven't looked into Lexus yet.

Anybody got strong opinions, positive or negative on these cars?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one

Infinity is just a Nissan Altima and if you don't buy new off the lot your neighbors will assume it's an old airport rental SUV. In three years everyone will forget you bought it new and you'll be the guy driving the airport rental SUV. Go walk the lot at any CarMax and check out how many G50 airport rental suvs they have rotting on the lot

Lexus makes pretty good SUVs above the RX/RZ model level, if you do some research many of them share a lot of land cruiser dna

Q50 is a sedan. I'm only shopping sports sedans.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Pretty odd to exclude BMW and Audi when shopping for a sports sedan if you ask me

BMW is purely because of taste. I just don't want one.

I would very much like an Audi. But at that price range, it's either an A3/S3 (too small), or an A4, which is disappointingly less car for the same price from what I've seen. A base S4 (which, I imagine good luck finding) starts at the very tippy-top of what I can pay.

Also, if I buy an Audi, it becomes my wife's car. That was pretty much settled in my marriage about 10 years ago.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Not bad advice at all. It's how I ended up with a 2018 Accord, when I was dead set on the Subaru.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No longer available in the US except for as V60XC or the weird polestar T8 75k plug in hybrid V60

Funny you say that; I was making a pros/cons spreadsheet and doing some research, and found this

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/s60-hybrid/

455 hp. 41 mile EV-only range. 52k.

I was honestly shocked it was in my price range. (The wagon version isn't)

e- ewwwww oh my god. Wool seats

GD_American fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 24, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

That car is more expensive than its price indicates. Depreciation will murder you if you sell it anytime soon, but repair costs will if you keep it for a long time.

Is that from the Volvo side or the hybrid side?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Since when is Volvo a luxury brand :confused:

Volvo and Saab were always entry-level luxury with weird asterisks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hadlock posted:

\
I think there used to be a much, much bigger perceived gap between Mercedes-Benz and Everybody Else, too

Correct. M-B burned a lot of consumer goodwill when they stopped overbuilding cars and concentrated on Just Good Enough, and it also didn't help that BMW started challenging them in every segment not long before the Japanese got serious about fighting them at the same price points too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

"OK, bye" remains the go-to when dealing with salesman horseshit

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

When I was shopping Accords back in 2018 and did the email-every-dealer-within-500-miles thing, there was one in Houston that had like some 2k dealer add-on package they told me was non-negotiable and put on every car. I thanked them for crossing themselves off my list early

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If you're going regional in your car search, it'd save you a lot of time to know exactly which vehicle, trim and options you're looking for first. Otherwise you'll be drowned in options quickly.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

So I should put down like 15000 on an Altima that has a sticker price of about 36k and a total price( at the end of the lease) after payments, buy out etc of 44000?

The salesman said it was a good deal. And it's through Nissans "smart buy" program.

You're not fooling anybody. If you can count to those big numbers, you're not a Nissan buyer

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I finally got a peak at a Genesis and man, this might be the one.

G70 with the V6 has more horses (365hp) at a cheaper price (44k) than anybody in the luxury sedan game. Outside looks fantastic. Inside is pretty decent; not a huge fan of the center console but it's not offensively bad. Rear seat room and trunk space are the biggest minus. It's an incredibly weirdly proportioned car; if you open the hood, there's a good 15 inch gap between the fan and the front of the engine, which makes for that long snout, at the expense of the Mustang-sized rear seats.

If Hyundai wants to get serious about selling this stuff, they need to get them away from the Hyundai dealer experience. You're selling 50k-80k cars, and you're having a young kid request credit info (his third question was "are you paying cash") before answering anything about the car. (And then having to look up every answer online anyway)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Motronic posted:

Why would you care? How often do you do this that you want to pay a bunch of extra money for this "experience"?

I barely do, which is why I put it in a separate paragraph as an observation about Hyundai. The thing is, I am not most people, and most people with money like to have their rear end kissed.

44k is also the literal cheapest thing they sell, so judging the entire model range by it seems like a mistake. They're selling 90k MSRP cars too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I was doing due diligence on all the cars I hadn't considered but figured I'd check out, and somebody tell me- how in the gently caress is the same base model SXT Charger that Fred Flinstone bought new starting at 34 grand

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I was under the impression that GMC was the flagship brand/trim level/grille, and fleet sales usually chose the second to bottom tier trim level

They're in a weird position.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My 2018 Accord has had zero problems, ever. Not the first even hint of a bug, quirk, malfunction of any kind.

Until today. Went to start it, tons of ECU errors related to stability control and e-brake, and wouldn't start. Started worrying until I told my father about it to complain and he asked how old the battery was.

Original battery. Quick math. Trip to O'Relly's. Problem solved.

I wish Honda had more sporty options to buy because I'd stay a loyal purchaser again and again.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

They get pretty sporty!

I literally expected this answer but with a picture of an S2000 or NSX.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Does AI BFC have any particular thoughts on the newer Honda Civic, Acura Integra or Toyota Crown?

I've been doing quite a bit of research over the last few months, these all seems like good cars that I could own long term, reliable with good fuel economy. The only negatives I'm able to think of is taller passengers in the back seats. The crown has some odd design choices with the the trunk release and split screen infotainment but nothing I've found that would be particularly annoying.

If back seat room is an issue, you probably shouldn't be shopping compacts.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23145269/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-reliability-update/

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nitrox posted:

All I know is that in other FSA cars, the multiair has a higher failure rate than naturally aspirated powerplants. Something about higher maintenance and more warranty claims overall. That's according to dealership techs, but I can try to find some actual data

I love the look of the 124 but hate that it started down on power and ended realllyyy down on power after they bumped the ND's hp up after a few years.

I'd love an Abarth if they weren't still carrying a ridiculous S2000-like premium

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hmmm. Have they ever lost a $7.5 million slander lawsuit to another Toyota dealer tho

https://www.al.com/live/2011/10/jury_awards_75_million_to_east.html

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah frame damage can lead to some truly wacky write-offs.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a12240997/this-corvette-was-totaled-thanks-to-one-microscopic-crack/

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Congratulations on your new Prius.

Imagine if Mazda had designed a PHEV Miata 15 years ago. We'd be so far into meme territory it'd warp gravity

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

But the reliability of a 6 year old one!

And the depreciation curve of an 8 year old one

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nitrox posted:

That's a valid point, but how else am I going to project an image of a butch lesbian that's always ferrying multiple large dogs?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've thrown in the towel on my Saab and am fixing just enough to sell it.

I've strongly resisted the urge to pull the trigger on a new GV70. Question; does Hyundai/Genesis just fill orders out of existing stock, or do they do actual factory orders? Just in case I wanted a weird combo of color or options or something.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Well, they hid it well at first, but the local Hyundai/Genesis place finally proved that the terrible reputation of Hyundai dealers was well-earned.

Quoted me 12 grand over MSRP for a GV70. When I pointed that out, their reply (and again, this is from a salesman that had been quite pleasant to deal with to this point) was:

quote:

We do sell most of our Genesis at a Premium and offer window tinting, key fob replacement, nitrogen in the tires, dent and ding repair, $2500 theft protection, identity theft protection, travel allowances, and a lifetime warranty. How can I earn your business?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pulled the trigger on a GV70 Prestige trim in Oklahoma City. Flying out Saturday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

loving Hyundai dealers.

Signed all the paperwork on the GV70. Flew into OKC. "Let's look at your new car!"

963 miles. All the paperwork I signed (for the same VIN) said 19 miles.