Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PainterofCrap posted:

Can't you clamp a hose over those ends?

Looks like it goes softline -> hardline -> softline, so just replace the whole thing with a piece of softline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fifty Three posted:

Ah, so a camberlabra?

black betty had a job

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

A bunch, honestly. If you can spotface the metal around the diameter of the rivnut and get a washer around it, then a fender washer under your ground bolt, you'll be even better off. Then your bolt is clamping your ground terminal to a washer that's metal-on-metal with the frame.

yeah this. the rivnut doesnt need to carry any current at all; it could even be an insulator if it was strong enough. the bolt just needs to squeeze the conductive wire lug against the conductive frame-or-whatever, it doesn't matter what the clamping materials are. This is DC, so it's just a matter of surface contact cross-sectional area.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
thats what you get for using a chrome socket on an impact gun. didnt they always tell you something bad would happen!!!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

Looks like a Gen 1, not an LS.

Bitchin.

Specifically an L31 Vortec, or at least the heads from one (or compatible aftermarket).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

redgubbinz posted:

Hmm, the low grease light is on.

oh is that what this is

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Had an engineer friend in college who I was complaining about car reliability issues to, and he said "if you only realized how much of a miracle that cars run at all is, and in many cases for years without much maintenance while living outside, you probably wouldn't say that." He went on to work for apple so not sure I trust his opinion.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

thats what i thought

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some of these are just abuse, rather than amusing wonky failures, but there is some gold in there

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

Some fuel problems with my 2002 Ford ZX2.

A week ago the CHECK FUEL CAP light came on; messed with it but nothing changed. A couple of days ago the CEL came on too, bringing with it a low idle (to the point that it's stalled a few times) once the engine has warmed up.

I pulled the codes:
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0457 EVAP system - leak detected (filler cap loose/off)

I am hoping it's just that the fuel pump is hosed up and the tank isn't pressurizing properly and that's why it also thinks the cap is loose. What other things could cause this combination of codes and symptoms?

this sounds like a vacuum leak

do cars still have charcoal canisters? seems like that's attached to both vacuum (unmetered air = too lean) and the tank (line with hole becomes a vent)

e: hmm now that i think of it, i would expect that to present as a high idle, not a low idle. a bad fuel pump should be able to keep up at idle, though

Raluek fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 8, 2021

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Memento posted:

I cannot get over how unbelievably insufficient those threads are.

These are the locking lugs on the bolt in a Barrett M99 rifle which is basically the same thing (single shot .50BMG anti-materiel rifle)

The Serbu has this holding the cap on that nearly decapitated the dude

85kpsi sounds like a lot, but its only a 55% safety factor over the number he quoted for a "normal" 50bmg load before the threads shear. idk about firearms, and im not a mechanical engineer, but even non-life-critical stuff at work gets a safety factor of 2 or 3 if it's at all structurally significant

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

In places that care about public transit (note, not the USA), they put concrete at bus stops to prevent this. No amount of base prep can fix the fact that bitumen is a liquid. Asphalt is a suspension at best, and if you want a bitumen composition that can withstand hot, then it will turn to glass when it gets cold and then you get potholes. It's easier to ignore a wibbly street than one with potholes. So US cities just let their pavement turn to rear end around bus stops because they hate poors.

the ones around here (CA) are concrete. i was about to post "arent bus stops usually concrete for this reason?" but i guess AZ, which would need it even more, doesnt do that for some reason? :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bull3964 posted:

Hahahahahaha if you think road crews work at night or any off hours when traffic is lower.

seems like 880 necks down a couple lanes at night most of the time i want to drive through there. they totally do work at night

i avoid the major freeways like the plague during "normal hours" so idk if those lanes are open during the day, tho

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

We nearly had a massive truck accident at work once because of left hand threaded studs. Weekly vehicle checks (cos government) included “physically check wheel nut torque” after we had a few wheels come loose on the light fleet. So every week, the guys got the big socket set out and checked the wheel nuts were tight on a 23 tonne truck, slowly backing off the left hand steer tyre nuts.

And then 2/3 of them came undone and fell off while the truck was rolling down the highway, fully loaded with a 25 tonne water tanker trailer behind it…

your own in-house, professional mechanics don't know what direction the lug nuts go on the vehicles in your own fleet? :crossarms:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Triggered. I’m 3/4 of this post.

post ur jet engine (but hopefully not in this thread)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i keep losing ratcheting 9/16" wrenches. one of them fell out of my pocket on a bike ride, one of them i accidentally left on the fender of the car before shutting the hood and going on a test drive, and another was in the car when it was stolen, and not there when it was recovered.

i hardly ever use 10mm, but 9/16? every drat time. i started buying 14mm wrenches because they fit better, guess its time i buy another one...

aside from that, ive left a couple things in junkyard cars that werent there when i remembered and went back (rip, my grandpa's channellocks)

i also had a toolkit that went missing from the car the second time it was stolen too, now that i think of it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
stunt jump failed

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Arrath posted:

Idea: Weld a 10mm socket onto the wrench. Weld 10mm bolt heads in the backs of all the other sockets. Problem solved.

this is already a thing, kind of (but not 10mm)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cojawfee posted:

That definitely seems like something some rear end in a top hat on a car forum would tell you to get when you ask what ratchet set you should buy.

its gotten me out of trouble in situations where a wrench doesnt have enough offset or enough space to swing, and a full ratchet is too thick to fit :shobon:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That lack of piston! :gonk:

yeah lol, when he pulled the head and just reached his whole arm in i was like "...oh boy, thats going to be exciting"

disappointed that he didnt show close-ups of the associated crank journal

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MadScientistWorking posted:

So I know a bunch of you post I Do Cares videos and this one is amazing. Like I don't know much about cars but it seems like if parts of the car are catastrophically melting you have major issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_ZyKh2Nyc

i like that he's got a wall-o-LS as a background to these videos. very reassuring

man that thing looks like it's about to break in half

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

A 92 should have factory TBI which looks exactly like a carb if you light your bowls from the bottom and have enough attention to detail to do an amazing paint job like that.

haha this is a euphemism i hadnt heard before

he does say its a glide, but maybe it's a th350 with one gear that doesn't work

although given the stated mileage, it's probably either a lie for comedy value, or just whatever old junk they slammed together to make something that nominally runs and drives for a laugh

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

hmm thats an interesting use for a bugcatcher scoop that i hadnt considered before

overall im not gonna hate on a vette cart. it needs door bars, but other than that... wrong thread?

im a sucker for red and black tho

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
dont modern high end sport bikes have wheelie control these days? maybe he turned it off cause race, and was unaccustomed to not having it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

STR posted:

Now you're making me REALLY wish I'd saved some of my pay stubs (I do have W2s though).

Yes, they said "H.E. Butt Grocery". Yes, they were signed "Charles Butt". Kinda wonder what'll happen when he dies, since he has no children and never married, he wound up with the company when his dad caught TB. He's already stepped down as CEO (someone from outside the family is now CEO, and things have definitely changed a bit). Hopefully he leaves the company to one of his family members.

I still own a few employee shares in the company; I should be able to cash them in at the end of this year.

They use "Here, Everything's Better" as their advertising slogan, and have for a long time now. Can't figure out why. :iiam:

thats a "Life's Good" rear end maneuver there. not a fan

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BigPaddy posted:

Too many power brakes with the ABS off clearly.

tried to do a brake-stand burnout but had a lot more rear grip than front? lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://hugelolcdn.com/v/840547.mp4
I did some poo poo like this in the early days. Also orange barrels.

man, no, not for me. my poor fiberglass front spoiler would probably be in a million pieces after the first couple dozen of those, and imagine if one of them caught a dangling wire or that plastic oil pressure gauge line. yikes

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah it's a C2. looks like it was a real body on top of that tube chassis, so, rip

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Whoever built the rear wing, on the other hand, needs to be fired.
Pretty much useless (obviously...) located as low as they put it.

Which should have been counteracted by a proper wing.

wouldn't more weight (downforce) behind the rear axle lead to less weight on the nose?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

`Nemesis posted:

Heard y’all love two piece wheels, so how about five piece wheels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwn6ldYGbnw

welp i accidentally watched the whole thing. fascinating video

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

charliemonster42 posted:

Does anybody else remember the goon who had his 4Runner picked up from the rear bumper with a high-lift and had it rock sideways off the jack and pinch his skull between the end of the bumper and the frame of his garage door? He came to the forums concerned that he had felt his skull flex and now had some loose teeth and was wondering whether or not he should go to the doctor…

yes i remember that, and was thinking of it while i was reading about all these other adventures you all have been having

i remember him describing the sound of his skull creaking under load, and that mental image has stuck with me

on a related note, i used to work next door to a mechanic, and one time he was telling me about having dropped a car off a jack. he was under the car, it was a bottle jack on a cartoonishly precarious stack of wood to reach high enough, and it came down far enough to not only pin him, but also drive the air from his lungs and keep it out. apparently there was a floor jack close enough he could barely reach it with his fingertips, and he was able to get out. he was cheerfully retelling the story like a week after it happened, so i guess he didn't get hurt too bad. but, gently caress, i think about that one all the time too

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Best ones go in the back you goober.

for predictable traction, yes. for evening out the wear on a fwd car, no.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

JoshGuitar posted:

A couple weeks later I lightly pinched a piece of wire to bend it, felt a pop, and my thumb no longer had the ability to bend.

aaaaaaaa, im going to try and fail not to think about this for the rest of the night, thanks

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
...i should buy some more gloves, and not worry about getting them dirty like i normally do

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

namlosh posted:

I did not think I would read these words together ever

whomst amongst us hasnt done something like that? lol

well, for me it was in a cul de sac behind my aunt and uncle's house, but it was still done in the street so imo it counts

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

holy poo poo. never seen that before. welp, accidentally watched the whole thing

its actually pretty interesting how LS-like the design of that motor is, considering they share no roots. neat

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Have they ever updated the Viper engine in any meaningful way, or is it still basically a Chrysler LA engine with two more cylinders?

i really doubt the LA from the 60s has a front cover oil pump, lifter valleys under the heads, twinned roller rockers, six bolt mains, etc

dude in the video said the oil pump parts were expensive and unique, so probably not shared with the later hemi either, which does have the oil pump in the front cover

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
at least it looks pretty clean, except whatever is going on with the bumper. looks taken care of, which it had better if he's spent that much on it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

buttcrackmenace posted:

<camera operator> lemme make certain I get the perfect shot of a guy drowning in a fuckin mudhole

this is like a million times better than the dipshits who wildly swing their camera around and aim it at the ground as soon as anything happens. see any amateur disaster video ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Toupee Groupie posted:

The only other good engine Ford had but now mucked it up was the 3.7 in RWD or 4wd pickups.

whats wrong with the coyote, voodoo, and boss? did the un-lined aluminum block idea not end up working out?