Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

`Nemesis posted:

At least nothing of value was lost

The coal rolled him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EightBit posted:

Having recently been a passenger in an MD80, I'd take just about any other plane in that class.

The designers were high as gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0CViDUBFs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know what scares me more. The zip tie tire, or the brake pad wearing a nice track into that rotor.

The rotor is scarier form a mechanical failure perspective, but the tyre is scarier on the grounds of “what the gently caress were these people thinking?”

The rotor is extreme neglect. The tyre is active insanity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:sad:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheDon01 posted:

Was doing some maintenance up on a roof and I look over and see this little guy hanging out where he shouldn't belong.

That sign is about 25' off the ground.

Retrieve that fucker (under the pretext that it could be a hazard if high winds dislodge it) and mount it on the wall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Eh I would take that off your hands. Couple months of -30 and you could shop vac out the corpses and eggs.

Congratulations on your old‐rear end Geo Metro that may or may not now be free of spider eggs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SEKCobra posted:

How bad is it having less than 4mm of traction left on tires that are used in high-stress, high-speed driving with lots of cornering at speed?

Does it matter?

The tyres on the first vehicle were legally unfit. There was an alternate vehicle available. You made the right decision by switching.

It sounds like the vehicle dude is pissed because you caught his mistake. What’s he saying, specifically?

I think it would technically not have been a problem so long as you had 100% clean, dry pavement along your route, but I’m not a tyre expert.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

If the tax laws weren't meant to be abused they wouldn't be written in a way that allows for so many loopholes. :colbert:

This, but unironically.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slothrop posted:

Excuse my ignorance, what is the purpose of the safety wire?

See how if one bolt tries to turn anticlockwise, the safety wire will tug its neighbour clockwise?

That prevents either of them from coming loose and ruining your day or the day of someone behind you when the bolt becomes shrapnel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

literally a fish posted:

Also yes let us remember that chlorine trifluoride was considered by Nazi weapons scientists to be too unstable and dangerous for use as a weapon

And recall that the V‐2 killed more people in its manufacture than in its deployment, so that’s a pretty high bar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TotalLossBrain posted:

How does this happen? :stare:

The pinion is made of Wood’s metal?

That’s all I’ve got.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

More photos here

quote:

I built this aerodynamic modification for a Nissan Versa. It improved gas mileage from about 40 mpg to 55 mpg. It attracted a lot of attention on the road. I was going to drive the car to northern Quebec to Hudsons Bay. On the way, I was testing the mpg at 85 mph, and passed a truck north of Howard City, MI. The wind buffeted the car and somehow the tail exploded with a bang and was ripped off the car, along with the electric wiring and my license plate. I tried to go back and find it but it was gone. Since I had no license plate, I could not go to Canada and went back home.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Geirskogul posted:

A few pages ago? Or from the auto thread?

Sorry if it’s been in this thread recently. I came across it while browsing http://reddit.com/r/diwhy/top.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hey hypermilers: you’re being passed by an electric car that uses no gas at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Yuk means “NO”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xzzy posted:

I-5 in Oregon.. was driving a different beetle, but I did the same thing I did for parking.. kill the engine, put it in neutral. There's three passes along that road if I remember right, and I could bomb down them at 75+ which is probably the fastest the bug I was driving at the time had ever gone.

The elevation changes weren't super steep, I think the max grade was 5% or so, so you could coast fast without needing to touch the brakes. Don't do it in the rain though because that road is legendary for people wiping out while speeding.

Killing the engine like you did works (beware of losing hydraulic assist, of course), but sometimes people think they’re saving gas by putting the car in neutral and idling the engine, and that’s simply not true. You’ll coast faster, but the engine has to burn fuel to keep turning. If you coast in gear, your kinetic energy keeps the engine turning so it doesn’t have to burn any fuel. It does slow you down a little, but on many grades that’s fine or desirable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raluek posted:

I can't imagine this is true with a carbureted vehicle. Air is still entering the engine, so it's still pulling fuel into the airstream.

Yeah but how many hypermilers drive carbureted vehicles?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

0toShifty posted:

The most batshit thing a Prius transmission does is how it implements overdrive. Prius enthusiasts (yes) call it "heretic mode" - Toyota calls it "power recirculation mode" - at highway speeds - the gas engine is spinning all the time. To make overdrive happen, one of the motor generators takes power off the output of the differential, and drives the other motor generator with that power together with the engine - which in effect slows the engine to a more efficient RPM. Seems kind of like a perpetual motion machine.

On the second‐generation Prius, this mode happens at and above 42 mph. Even if no gas is being consumed, the ICE’s crankshaft must rotate.

If you put the car into neutral below 42 mph and coast downhill, you can exceed 42 mph without the car switching into recirculation mode. This results in overspeed on one of the motor‐generators (I think it’s MG2).

I don’t know if this flaw was fixed in later models.

Another quirk of Toyota’s HSD is that in reverse, more power is available when the ICE is stopped than when it is idling. To back up a very steep hill, or just a lip of pavement, it is sometimes necessary to wait for the warm‐up cycle to finish so the ICE will stop (or put it in EV mode, if available, to pre‐empt it).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 22, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Door Frame posted:

That's funny, I used radon a few weeks ago, so that my tires would glow in the dark, but now they're just solid polonium. In an unrelated note, my car is now on fire and my bones hurt

I tried this and all I got was lead‐210 and cancer.

0/5, would not try again.

Alereon posted:

If you actually did this (or helium too) your tires would explode from the massive pressure increase when they warmed up, is that correct? Or is the difference not actually that extreme?

It wouldn’t really make a difference.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 25, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hydrogen permeates through vulcanised rubber five times as fast as air, and probably at a greater ratio between the tyre and the rim.

Even if you top the tyres up religiously, you’re still going to lose more performance to underinflation than you’ll gain from decreased mass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Door Frame posted:

That's funny, I used radon a few weeks ago, so that my tires would glow in the dark, but now they're just solid polonium. In an unrelated note, my car is now on fire and my bones hurt

Once, for the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread, I did the calculations for the power emitted by a 2‐litre bottle filled with radon.

Your car would be heated by something on the order of one million watts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iwentdoodie posted:

Buddy of mine got one with 400 miles on it, was driving from Norfolk, VA to Chicago.

Transmission poo poo itself in West Virginia, in the middle of nowhere. When he called for a tow, they told him three hours. A state trooper came by and took him to the local station to wait, because "a man that looks like you ain't gonna last too long here on the side of the road...no offense."

So basically a lovely Chrysler could have gotten my buddy into being the victim of a hate crime according to the cops.

On a scale of FFFFFF to 000000, how black was your friend?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

If it’s only 280°C, it’s not glowing in the visible range, but it sure makes a nice photo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DocCynical posted:

It wasn't glowing as brightly as the camera shows, but it was definitely glowing red. Judging by a steel colour chart, the temp is ~580˚C on the nut itself, from what I remember.

Interesting. I was going by the second image where the scale tops out at 260.4, but I guess overexposure was allowed there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SEKCobra posted:

You literally pointed out right here why SMD work is annoying, because having to set up (and buy) a microscope and hot air soldering station is a huge hassle.

Low‐melt solder (ChipQuik is the name brand) works pretty well in the absence of a hot air station.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Horrible mechanical failure: take a boat “that had already exhibited stability problems” and add fourteen tons of lifeboats to the top deck.

That boat was the SS Easland, and it capsized, killing 848 people.

Clearly, this was the government’s fault for increasing lifeboat requirements from 50% to 75% of passenger capacity.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 26, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

I would love to know what the justification was back in the day when 50% was the legal requirement. "Eh, gently caress it, half the people can probably swim?" "Only save the women and children, men all go down with the ship?" "Well, probably half the people will die regardless, so why waste the money?"

“Other ships will always be available to take aboard survivors. :downs:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kastein posted:

And I completely agree, I'm just explaining why it wasn't really much more than an afterthought at the time, because, well, those people are all gonna die before anyone comes to save their asses anyways, unless they get lucky and someone saw the flares or happened to barely hear their CQD (not SOS at the time) call on the sparkgap radio transmitter.

Titanic’s radio operator started with CQD, but then alternated “CQD” and “SOS”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 26, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lime Tonics posted:

Just a little play in the suspension.

I would not be caught dead driving next to/behind that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am reminded of this presentation (PDF) about Chinese electronics counterfeiting. My favourite part is page 23, where they’re washing electronics components by hand in the river, but the forged documents (including milspec) are more relevant here. One document has the inspector listed as “JDOE”.

Some of these parts cost one tenth of one cent each, but someone is still going to the trouble of washing them, re‐packaging them, and passing them off as new.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We have for example a testing rig that is from 1998 and it is is ridiculous - looks like a 1950's Soviet contraption. We're replacing them with something that looks and works as well as any German testing rig but half the cost and twice the warranty, with some of the best build quality and wiring I've ever seen. Seriously, it's a goddamn work of art internally.

So what you’re saying is that your rig will determine you’re doing a test, then completely alter its behaviour to guarantee a pass? :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

And for that pleasure, Florida will be the first to suffer the wrath of Climate Change.

The best part is that even building a sea wall around the state wouldn’t work. Florida is too porous. The water would effortlessly seep through the limestone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Javid posted:

I'm guessing they'll just all take shelter in this diamond-shaped plateau around Gainesville

Legend: 1 mm above sea level.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

As a space nerd, losing Cape Canaveral is gonna suck too.

It will always be Cape Kennedy in my heart.

Or at the bottom of the sea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ll be dead well before +10 m

Of old age.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are also places where it’s kind of accurate, in that water can travel up river valleys to flood low‐lying areas well inland, but as a practical matter, the cost/benefit of putting barriers at a few openings is immense, so they’re not in nearly as much trouble as coastal areas, where 1 km of sea wall only saves 1 km of waterfront property.

For example, we’re probably not going to let the Rio Grande flood half of Texas.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 9, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think the Rio Grande is the problem.

It is according to the map at the top of this page, unless its scale is retarded.

Replace “half of Texas” with “California’s Central Valley” and “Rio Grande” with “the San Francisco Bay”. I know that example works.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The VTEC kicked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BRB, patenting heated wheels.