Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Combat Theory posted:

To be fair both engines from that example are absolute shite when it comes to efficiency or emissions

One of them makes a hell of a racing engine tho ;)

Have you performed harmonic testing on the valve springs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Guys and gals, forget the arguments...let's burn some gasoline and make power together. Life is too short.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

This is Kerosene, but i find the video calming in a sense. Must be fun to work with these huge Powerplants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOeXKWRxaMc

I always like feeling like a criminal when I buy kerosene.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I almost did that windshield fluid into the wrong part of the car thing once. Then I noticed the big flapper valve-looking seal with a windshield on it and poured it into the correct tank instead.

Guilty as charged...Coolant and washer flaps were next to eachother. Did a radiator change then topped it up realizing my mistake. Blame it on the "I'm in the home stretch let's get it done". Caught it and was able to drain the tank.

But dumping into the crankcase...yikes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Around 27 years ago had a Chevy Sprint (think the predecessor to the Geo Metro).

Lived in farm country and going home from HS, a farm tractor turned into me while I was passing him. I sideswiped a speed limit sign that bent the car in the half. Fortunately I was able to crawl out the passenger side because all the glass was shattered. Speed limit sign was a-ok.

To be young again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

netwerk23 posted:

It's not horrible but it's a failure

Yeah, not much else he could do. Get a ticket for no mudflap or run it like is.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

That's also why old people are so goddamn boring, they've been almost killed so many times or seen other people get almost killed enough that they retreat into a shell, paralyzed by the fact that the universe just doesn't give a poo poo.

Yeah, or maybe us old people don't give a gently caress about dying.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Memento posted:

I've always called them eyepro :shrug:

First heard the term in the army reserve, habits die hard I guess.

I always liked "eyes and ears".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Don't we need some unicode stuff on the a?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

No pictures of this one because it wasn't that interesting to look at, but earlier today one of our students destroyed the chuck on one of our drill presses by trying to drill a hole through a piece of wood without installing a drill bit.

Yes, that's what I said.

He tightened the chuck down all the way with no bit installed, so that the jaws came out and closed up into that blunt cone that they do, spun up the drill press, and then rammed the jaws into the surface of a 2" thick glued-up plywood block. Now the chuck no longer opens.

Did you give him a A for effort?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Is this vocational school or high school?

Given the liability issue (and the dumb poo poo we did as bored teenagers over 25 years ago) does shop class/small engine classes still exist?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I try to keep up with sharpening the kitchen knives, but I was cringing the other night watching my wife try to cut a large squash in half with which was a dull chefs knife.

As for paring knives, an elcheapo Victorinox I got has been incredible. Sharp as hell and stays sharp. I can't remember the last time I had to touch it up.

Memento posted:

Then she discovered my side cutters and used them for pruning her rose bushes... And left them out in the rain :negative:

You think that's bad, my wife tossed my Shun chef's knife in the dishwasher.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Shop class back in my time (probably around '90) or so was hauling in anything you could and attempting to sort something out. Our teacher was also a farmer (at the time, this was some rural high school).

It would give an OSHA inspector cardiac arrest. Parts washer which was used all the time was basically kerosene and a ton of who knows what. No gloves. Teacher did favors for his farmers pals. So he would haul in some piece of equipment for us to refurbish. It was always done in John Deere green when we painted it after grinding at it for hours. Then for the next couple days you would have green snot since who needed a mask.

Had a welding table that was basically a 4x8 of bricks. They'd fill it with gas then ignite it. The bricks would float.

Some other dumbass in the class dumped gas in the exhaust of a chainsaw to try to start it. The flame burned all his arm hair off.

It really was a good class, because our teacher didn't put up with poo poo. Every tool had to be put back before we left in the tool room (and everything was marked), floors swept, etc. Now granted, I'm sure I'll get cancer but I learned a ton in that environment.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

My highschool had some decent shop classes.
2 Auto shops, wood shop, Electrical shop, Machine, Electronics, Refrigeration.
Wish I'd taken wood shop at least once.

Eh, would have ended up like my wood shop class. Some dumb gently caress abuses a tool and ruins it for everyone. In my case it was a band saw blade.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Oddhair posted:

I didn't appreciate how good our shop was while I was in 7th grade but we had Aluminum forging, acetylene welding and stick, just a whole mess of dangerous stuff. 12 year olds!

Al forging? Did you grow up at Alcoa High School and get a free set of rims every semester?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

InitialDave posted:

Not knowing how to do things is kind of forgivable, though it does get ridiculous when people appear to know nothing.

It's the people who take some kind of pride in not knowing that wind me up. "Oh no, this practical skill is below me, I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was one of those people".

Why is it $300 to replace an oxygen sensor?

Why is it $600 to replace an inducer blower in my furnace?

Oh cool, got an oil change for $30 dollars with a coupon.

Why is it $7,000 for a new engine?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I like to think most engineers are compassionate about their jobs.

It is the bean counters that get us into this mess.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

At the same time, people will optimize for what they know, and ignore things they're not aware of. If what the engineer knows is how to get the most efficient and strongest structure in the cleverest way, then that's what they'll do. But if they've never had to take the battery out of a car before, they might not think twice about putting it in a place where you have to remove the front wheels to extract it from underneath the fender.

Of course, but who placed the constraints on them to begin with.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Another great GM thing: Dexcool.

(Sarcasm btw)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Congrats on the future headgasket job.

Bonus points if you have a Northstar.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

The makers of dexcool were so smart they made it the color of rust so you can't use a visual inspection to decide if your coolant system is falling apart.

When I was a kid a few decades ago it was a treat for your parents to take you to McDonalds. You could order "Orange drink" and yes that is it what it was called. To be honest, McDonald's orange drink is probably more effective than Dexcool for numerous reasons yet has the same exact color and hue.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dave Inc. posted:

Also screw cars where you have to drain half the coolant, put half in, mix it up, drain half, put half in, mix it up, drain half, etc., because nobody at the factory thought it was cool to put a plug in for the block.

Either that or I just don't do enough coolant changes to understand what I'm doing wrong.

No one makes it easy. For an LT1 you need to remove both knock sensors out of the bottom of the bock (which is quite difficult) to effectively drain it all.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't buy into Evans coolant - if it was as awesome as they claim, why hasn't an OEM licensed it for the first sealed-for-life cooling system?

For the same reason the 100MPG carb disappeared. :tinfoil:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Been awhile since I've seen "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart but even in the movie it crashes because it catches fire.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

InitialDave posted:

C-clips, always there to brighten someone's day.

Well, at least he doesn't have to worry about the pain of removing a drum for a brake job.

I remember (hell this was probably was 30+ years ago) where one of the news channels talked about axles flying out due to the C-clip. Akin to the Samurai rollover type stuff in its presentation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

Probably not much, in being a W12 the spark plugs are reasonably accessible. A couple bolts to get the upper intake off and everything is right there.

You wanna talk dealer hell. the Merc V12s have 24 plugs serviced by 2-4 long coil packs.

These really belong in the thread too because they're $1000 a piece used, and garbage.

Fortunately there is a place that rebuilds them on an exchange basis. They'll send you a coil pack to see if it solves your problem and if it does great, keep it and send yours back. I'm thinking it was 6-$700 last time I looked.

It is really quite a complicated ignition system.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Oh and to add for crazy MB prices (and horrible failures if it happens)....

The Maybach (not the recent ones, the 57/62 from a decade ago) has some interesting repair costs. The alternator brand new is around $15K. Rebuilts are only $8K though. :v:

Interesting that they are 350 amp monsters while the stock S class is "only" 220. Although both cars have liquid cooled alternators, the Maybach has an entirely different serpentine drive setup.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Enourmo posted:

At least that's fairly sturdy looking unlike the Dodge Caravan strut tower repair kit that's just a piece of stamped sheet metal held on by rivets.

Most Chrysler vehicles would welcome rivets.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

So my plan to mix it with everclear is secretly brilliant?

Christ, are you saying I now have to feed my radiator Jello shots with this stuff?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bring back the Chrysler turbine. Ran on tequila.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Um yeah. Had a good time eating at a Denny's and they'd serve wine coolers to you when you were 16 after hours.

Are most of these places in Florida or out west that you are describing?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol. Yeah, guessed it was FL just based on the previous explanation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

honda whisperer posted:

I can't guess how many times a new customer would show up, I'd take their car for a drive, stop in the parking lot without leaving it, and ask them how often they added brake fluid.

Every day.... They all dumped more brake fluid in it every day.

Replace a caliper, a line blows. Replace the line, another part starts to weep. Rust is like a fuse for pressure.

I think it is some miracle from above when and how the lines fail. It is quite an unsettling feeling when it hits.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The amount of ingenuity some people do amazes me.

I wonder how the trailer wiring looks. :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Lexus RX300, looks like. There has to be an aftermarket hitch for those. They're supposedly an SUV.

There is...depending on year it is like $159 or something. I just find it funny that someone probably spent 3 trips to the hardware store and half a weekend concocting this abortion on toast.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Would be even better if he hauls his HVAC trailer full of supplies and tools with it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, I hate uhaul but it is probably because of liability reasons. I like playing the "gassing up the vehicle game" to reach the exact mark on where it was before you drove it off the lot. Amazing how they hand it over with 1/8 of a tank.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Breakfast Feud posted:

The post that the picture came from says the guy rolled up to a uhaul rental place and wanted a 6'x12' trailer.

I still remember the time I saw a snowmobile trailer explode on the highway. Someone was using a sled trailer with like 12" wheels and a deck much wider than the axle to move all of their roofing equipment for the day. Multiple ladders, tarpaper, shingles, buckets of tar. Hundreds and hundreds of pounds of weight. The little trailer couldn't take it anymore and the wheels exploded, taking the entire plywood deck with it and sending debris a good 30ft into the air.

The little trailer that couldn't.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Godholio posted:

Yeah, but their assessment of liability is garbage. I need to swap my Jeep's soft top for the plastic hard top to rent a trailer from them, for example. The completely non-structural, "held on with two clamps and 6 bolts in the back" hard top. Or how you can rent a trailer for a Mercury Mountaineer but not a Ford Explorer.

Probably because they buy the cheapest rear end insurance they can to compete at the bargain bin levels. And combine a level of risk. Your soft top is probably excluded because if a trailer tire blows up causing the vehicle to overturn you might be ejected out of the top if not wearing a seat belt.

As for the Mountaineer...Probably an actuary thing. Mercury owners are probably more up on maintaining their vehicles vs. pleb Ford owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Platystemon posted:

It reminds me of the Senior Road Tower collapse in that they both feature people who can construct a thing but lack engineering knowledge that would reveal the flaws in their designs.

The bending moment on those rods is silly.

Thanks for sharing that...I never heard of that one yet know about the one in Poland.

That Senior Road one was nuts. That poor crew. Not a way to go.