Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

Apparently for 150 quid!
You're mixing up your slang, the Thieves Cant for money is "dollarydoos". https://www.change.org/p/change-the-australian-currency-name-to-dollarydoos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s ok, according to the branding this is some kind of modular tool.

Edit: welp, forgot to refresh or there was another page of my same lovely joke already

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the "FWD: Funy picture"-quality posting but w/e I laughed:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I always called it “crabbing”, never saw it that bad though.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I have two of those stands, thanks for posting this.

I only use it to hold my 400lb CB750 up when messing with forks :haw: but I’ll get them swapped out next weekend.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
A bit upthread someone wondered exactly why Americans don’t learn to drive manual... I can’t speak to how we got here but the current problem is availability.

My son wants to drive stick, but I sold all my cars over a decade ago. No rental companies stock manual, so I’m renting the only manual transmission in a 100 mile radius on Turo :ssh: It’s a Fiat 500 and my son is 6’3”. If any horrible mechanical failures occur I’ll keep the thread posted.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Can we post Horrible Mechanical Successes in this thread?

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1337437641697013760

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Even I can weld better than that.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I saw the signs in Denver reading “I-70 Closed @ Glenwood Cyn”, now I know why.

We had some pretty serious wildfires there the spring before last.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

buttcrackmenace posted:

Related : the needle positions of the tach and speedo on my old Infiniti G20 synced up perfectly in third gear, all the way to redline.
High five, same on my Nighthawk 750 after I went to highway sprockets

MrYenko posted:

Pretty much any postwar RWD American car with a manual transmission will have a 1:1 4th gear. If it has fewer than four gears, it’ll be top gear.
Sure but that doesn't necessarily relate to the tach and speedo gauges matching up

LifeSunDeath posted:

now I don't know what to believe
some of you are thinking of Elgin cinder blocks, and the others are used to western stubbies

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
If you can think of a better way I’d love to hear it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

Watch Wes Work encounters a Horrible Electrial Failure:
I know I'm overly cautious, but I cringed every time he snuck his hands under the cab rail, then every time he climbed into the raised cab to try cranking the engine (with the guillotine of damocles hanging over his freshly repaired harness).

The only thing holding it up was a pair of 1mm^2 contact patches that he "[didn't] know the rating of"!

Great video though, thanks for posting it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Tomarse posted:

I gather that in the US it is also used in a verb form? (Also mentioned in the comments in that article) to mean swindle/cheat which I had no idea about until I heard it used recently in some US media and it surprised and disappointed me.
Yeah, “gyp” is common but many (most?) don’t realize it comes from “gypsy”.

It doesn’t help that many Americans don’t know what Romani are and think “gypsy” are old timely mythical beings like leprechaun or yeti. Growing up my familiarity with the term was limited to my grandmother telling me to go to bed or “a gypsy would get me”, akin to the bogeyman.

So if you tell an American “hey, maybe don’t say that” you might have to explain a few additionals.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
EDIT: eh joke didn't work

something something that's a lot of custom body work something cool alignment something

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I remember learning immobilizers were mandatory in the US since 1998 but it turns out that was two other big markets (Germany and UK) requiring them. Everyone added it to their ignitions to keep the SKUs aligned so we tended to see them introduced around that model year.

I’m pretty sure you got a good discount on comprehensive insurance here for having one.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I know it looks cute but timing chains only do this when they are very distressed.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I’ve been teaching my son to drive stick and this is what I tell him to do if he’s unsure what gear he’s in.

So the car is probably just trying to figure out if it’s in third or fifth is all.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

Oh my loving God

This is by far the worst engine explosion I have ever seen.
The comments in the first half of the video about still being able to sell parts of the engine were… what I’ll always be thinking about when buying used parts. :gonk:

At about the 42 min mark he says he’ll never think about using anything from this engine but he might have just meant the bottom end. I’m still worried he’s going to machine and resell those heads. I did some fast forwarding so maybe he walked that back.

Overall 10/10 would watch again. :gonk:

Edit: vvv Nice! Feeling a little less agita now.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 5, 2023

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
No, they launched it successfully. It was COTS-1 in 2010, the first cargo mission to the ISS. They used tin snips to shorten the second stage rocket bell to remove the segment that had developed a crack.

SpaceX has real engineers and a solid track record. Not everything involving Musk is poo poo.

Edit: it was a technician that did the snipping, with the blessing of the engineering team who had run the numbers, to be clear. Not Elon.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 29, 2023

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Much as audiophiles have "DBT-free" forums to discuss audio experiences without the scourge of double-blind comparison, drag strips will have timing-free nights.

EDIT: stupid snipe, so enjoy this stupid video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJCdmW33fM

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The inevitable result as beds get shorter and cabs get longer.

A lift kit would let him fit more lumber in under that bad boy.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
For a long time I ran a model M keyboard with a string of adapters from AT -> PS/2 -> USB.

Anything is possible especially if you have enough of each adapter to swap and try to find a working end-to-end solution.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Re: epoxy failure in motors, I’m told the reason my Zero is speed limited at 103mph is because any faster and the epoxy will start to melt and the IPM motor will do exactly what you’ve found, except on the road at speed. The motorcycle has no transmission (unless you count the belt between motor and sprocket) so the math between road speed and motor speed is straightforward and absolute.

Re: trailers, we have a very successful trailer dealer on the other end of my neighborhood, to the extent that I see their sticker on trailers on roads all over the state. Growing up I didn’t realize there were professional trailer makers and dealers, I just thought it was whatever your slightly odd friend of a friend could weld together.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Improvise on your trip to Harbor Freight
Adapt the cheapest option on the shelf
Overcome the weakest part of the tool with some lateral thinking

Edit: oh my god that’s the bottom bracket on a road bike. As a bike mechanic every part of the bike we can see there is :gonk:

Ulf fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 16, 2023

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
We have blue pumps here; ethanol-free. Not sure if that’s any kind of standard, or just what my Murphy USA does.

Edit: looks like blue is E15 in other places. Yeesh. Yellow seems to be pretty standard for E85 from what I’ve seen.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 26, 2023

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Crystals should be glued onto the steering wheel airbag, not the Start button. :shepface:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I wouldn’t mind seeing one clad in cor-ten.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

https://youtu.be/uq5rQlfEcjY?t=7s

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Keep in mind when you see pics of red-hot things that cameras will often pick up some infrared that your eye isn’t seeing (there’s IR-blocking filters on cameras but some extra usually gets through).

Go take a photo of the heating element in your oven when it’s running and compare to what you’re seeing, it’ll be even brighter in the photo.

Edit: sorry about my old oven that needs cleaning

Ulf fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 12, 2024

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I just assumed that was a trailer axle since it’s in better condition than 90% of the trailers I see on the road.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
If you never leave urban or even some suburban areas you legit might never need them.

Not a lot of deer to worry about along the Boston-Atlanta Metropolitan Axis.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Saukkis posted:

I'm not sure how much the US high beam pattern differs from EU lights, but I would assume not significantly.

I can guarantee you that any country with mandatory vehicle inspections is going to have their headlight angles set better than the average US vehicle.

Most US cars are fine but when you’re driving all night and one car out of every hundred has one headlight 15 degrees off and pointing directly into incoming traffic it wears on you.

We’re also in a rough period now where a bunch of cars have bright strip-LEDs retrofitted into housings shaped for incandescent point lighting, I look forward to a few years from now when the vast majority of cars have factory-adjusted headlights again.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

It's clearly a piston, but why would it be made of a mineral/ceramic substance like this?

I wonder if someone wasn’t playing at sandcasting? It kinda looks like a bad mold job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

All infotainment units should use the color scheme 'hot dog stand' from windows 3.1

:hmmyes:

This feels like something the NHTSA could get behind.