Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Ooooo goody

My GTP's original block, was a little too low on coolant and a little too aggressive on timing. First track outing.

Friends car. Small bolt accidentally left in intake during assembly. Ran for about 5 seconds.

Torque! I didn't think those cute little tires had it in them. First track outing in the Corolla.

2000 Catera. Bought with jumped timing belt.

Note to self: Scirocco radiator does not have the cooling capacity for a FI engine of twice the displacement.

Valve dropped in the GTP on the highway. Unsure of exact cause but have a couple theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

D. melanogaster posted:

Just curious but which GXP? G6? Solstice? G8?

I'm going to guess Grand Prix, otherwise has to be G8 ... that's an LS oil pan

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

iastudent posted:

Alright, gotta get home before dinner in the oven burns... what, officer? What do you mean I CAN'T get into my drivew-

Another L67 bites the dust. SUPERCHARGED!

Not sure if that vehicle was included on the recalls, not that the recall fixed the fire issues anyhow.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Mahnarch posted:

I've read some info on several sites that say that the AWSF-32PP plug is no longer relevant?

It's just been superseded, if you have someone look it up by application at a parts store there is just a new Motorcraft part number for them.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

revmoo posted:

Does it bother anyone else that transverse V6's never have symmetrical valve covers?

The 3800 does, with the exception of the oil filler cap being on the front (but is still centered).

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

kastein posted:

quality over quantity, buddy :colbert:

That happened to me on my T/A. Started getting violent shakes while driving, thought the rearview was going to fall off.

I put the car in the air and it was laughable how bad the tire was bulging (in the center). Was a month old tire with about 100 miles on it ... buy name brand tires kids!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

The Rocket Salad posted:

Where's your Corolla?

In my garage mostly ... I have a few things so sort out with the other vehicles and then I have some (light and boring) changes for the Corolla to make it a better driver.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Those are two of my pictures ... from page 1

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

rscott posted:

Are those plastic valve covers? How hot do they have to get before they melt like that?

Those whiteblock volvo's have an aluminum 'valve cover' (really the cam cover as it has half of the cam bearing on it). What melted is the plastic coil/sight cover.

Something like this ...

May favorite part is the dual ports for the oil filler cap so they could put it in whichever location was best depending on the vehicle ... or you could run 2!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

meatpotato posted:

Not to point out the obvious, but there probably wouldn't be any oil on the dipstick after throwing a rod through the block, even if there was oil before. That's pretty nasty.

I think it ran low/out so the oil light came on, he checked the wrong dipstick and then kept going.

With no oil, it threw a rod.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Horrible engineering failure. Who runs a coolant passage through an idler pulley bracket :psyduck:

Definitely odd but I'd rather deal with a 30 minute and $5 plastic T than metal coolant pipes any day.

Edit: Of course I am biased as I have them on the Corolla but Dorman also just started making metal replacements for the OCD 3.8L owners.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

G-Mach posted:

This happened to my friend this spring.

Pun intended? :v:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Probably the only reason he still has feet is because it was just the pressure plate and not the flywheel itself!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Cakefool posted:

Someone repost that melted Volvo valve cover, gets me every time.

On the Volvos it's actually more of a cam cover since the cover houses the top half of the camshaft bearings :science: and therefore uses no gasket (only anaerobic sealer)

They're all aluminum, IIRC it was the coil sight cover that melted on the Volvo. Still an awesome picture nonetheless

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

EightBit posted:

Something like that happens to all FC RX7's and the replacement parts are quite a bit pricier, if you can even find them :argh:

The BCM did the same thing in my Trans Am. I figured the ignition switch accessory position was going out since the radio and windows would stop working intermittently but everything else kept going. After scraping the gently caress out of my hands dropping the ignition column for enough room to change the switch I found out the issue with the BCM. It has 5 relays built onto the PCB and one of them is notorious for cold solder joints. Reheated, re-soldered, and has been like new since.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
My Corolla has the gas tank in the trunk, but it has the following safety features:

A cardboard sight shield from the trunk side so you don't think about a gas tank in your trunk. Also doubles as an additional crumple zone before tank impact.
Rear seats that don't fold down. In case of fire they act as a 'fire wall' which may or may not be highly flammable in and of itself.
A measly 10 gallon fuel tank. This is to keep the fireball size to a minimum.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

emptyspace posted:

As far as I know, the 4.6 and 5.4 use the same heads. The difference was in the 2V vs 3V motors. 2V would blow plugs out, on the 3V, the plugs would break off in the head and you have to use a special tool to get them out.

Pretty sure they're different but probably similar. Sold a head to a shop the other day and when he changed his mind that it was a 5.4 and not a 4.6 it was a different (and more expensive) part number.

When Dorman makes a plug repair kit for your engine (even including a new plug!) and multiple tool companies make specialty tools for hosed plugs, you have a design problem.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Slavvy posted:

It's because BMW's have wheel bolts instead of studs so without that retaining bolt, putting a wheel on can be a royal pain if the holes happened to have shifted.

Yes, but that still doesn't explain a noise. Unless the bolt failed previously and prevented the rotor and wheel from be seated properly. But once it's together it does nothing ...

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

some texas redneck posted:

Probably should have posted this here instead of terrible things, so have a crosspost.

Parked in front of a customer's house - he said it went up in flames around 2am. Asked them if they'd had the cruise control recall done, they said they'd never heard of it until the firefighters told them what likely caused the fire. :doh: Good thing it wasn't in the garage.

97-02 F-150. Thankfully with full coverage.

e: not much useful left on it, except for the bed, rear axle, tailgate, and rear bumper. Rear wheels too. Nothing left of the interior at all, I assume the transmission would be pretty hosed from the heat too, right?

The aftermarket replacement we sell at work comes with a new harness/pigtail, and has for years. Comes with a different style connector, one that won't hopefully fail in the same spectacular fashion.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Preoptopus posted:

Enjoy the purchase of a 100 dollar sensor at markup with install. I would take it to a small mom and pop shop and ask to just get it replaced with a regular valve stem. Youll have a TPMS light on but money in da pocket.

A lot of new tech in cars is unnecessary or unwanted by most of us here, but I have no problem at all with TPMS

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Found out why the blower only worked on high on the GTI-R-P

lovely part is the pins rusted into and broke off on the pigtail so now that needs to be changed as well.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
You mean power steering pump?

Coolant boiling from lack of belt is my guess.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
2004 Jetta VR6. Coil caught fire and burnt a hole on the bottom of the (plastic) intake runner. Dealer list: Intake $900 harness $700.

Recommended fix: JB weld and 1 pigtail from the junkyard.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

kastein posted:

Ehhh, not all, that missing ceramic is a pretty solid sign unless the tip of the plug is also beat to poo poo.

Only those that make it past the lovely timing component issues!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Slavvy posted:

Meeeh, that engine is a piece of cake to work on. You shouldn't have to take the cambelt entirely off, just cable tying it to the cam sprocket and keeping it tense against the bonnet with a bungee cord should be enough. That way you don't have to dick around with the crank sprocket, water pump and all that fuckery down on the block.

Unfortunate spot for the AC line though.

And P/S line! I did a head job on my sisters 1.7 Civic - was dead simple, just cramped. And I hate that accessory drive. Not made for large hands (and I hate manual tensioners)

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Fifty Three posted:

Are they actually power lines or some other utility?

It looks like the ones running through the stairs and the low ones on the other side are cable or telecom and the (slightly) higher ones with the orange insulators are for power.

How did they get the wires through the handrail?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Preoptopus posted:

All I see is soon to be mechanical failures.

Future oil leak failure, note they are still using jesus clips.

What's wrong with those clips? They can be a pain to get back into place sometimes but GM/Ford/probably a bunch of other manufacturers have been using them for 20+ years. I've sold replacements but no more often than I've sold replacement hoses or gaskets - haven't had one leak in my stable yet.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Most of the alloy arms on the fancy 'European' vehicles have non-serviceable ball joints anyway - so the entire arm has to be replaced when the ball joint goes bad. Which is probably approximately the same time frame for major rust to build up on a steel arm (if you live up North)

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

NoWake posted:

I imagine the owner tore the oil pan off somehow and then decided to drive it to the shop like that. At this point the engine is scrap, may as well let it run until the end.

Still pretty retarded, unless the vehicle itself is getting scrapped. It could easily throw another rod, breaking the starter, manifolds, sensors, radiator, bodywork, etc. Worst case could even break the crank and then break the bellhousing or input of the transmission. I've been tempted to kill and old engine like that but there is always a risk for a lot more collateral damage.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

14 INCH DICK posted:

Only starter I've seen look like that in the Gremlin, what did that come out of?

Most older Ford starters look like that, where they have the external solenoid mounted on the fender or firewall.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

literally a fish posted:

Yeah but petrol DI tends to use electric HPFPs.

At least when those fail *cough BMW cough* you don't have to disassemble half the motor to swap 'em out

Which ones? All the ones I've worked on firsthand have mechanical (usually cam driven) HPFPs (GM, Kia/Hyundai, VW). They all still have an electric LPFP in the tank though but I haven't even heard of an electric HPFP on a DI vehicle

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I was beside a truck the other day and on the rear rotors you could see the silhouette of the vanes coming through the face of the rotor. He had been going metal on metal for a long time. I laughed to myself, I've seen them online and in the junkyard and at work (parts) but I've never seen one driving around.

Then he started to creep forward at the light. The rotor didn't turn with the wheel :gonk:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Not what you want to find in an engine you installed in a car a month ago

Have seen a lot of lifter failures, but none like this. At least with the lifter plates on top it is not physically possible for the lifter to rotate in the bore, so the cam was fine ...

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

some texas redneck posted:

So mom decided to take her car to Goodyear to figure out what it needs.

They completely glossed over all of the oil leaks (and the oil soaked timing belt) (this thing is starting to leak like the Exxon Valdez), and the leaking steering rack, but insisted that one of the control arms was "really worn out", ball joints were bad, suspension needed a full refresh, and the ac apparently does not leak at all.

I've chucked 4 pounds of refrigerant at that drat car in the past 2 weeks alone, and there's dye in the system now. It's never been curbed, control arms don't "wear out", the ball joints were fine a few months back. The front struts are pretty worn, I'll give them that, but the tires wear perfectly even and it tracks straight.

Betcha that truck never broke down again either. :haw:

Not that they weren't trying to gouge you, but the control arm bushings wear out and are very very common to do so - and it would be worse if they were continually oil soaked. Most cars you can change the bushings separately, but some you have to buy the whole arm to get the bushings. Other cars you can't change the ball joint separately, you need to buy the whole arm. So a lot of shops will just replace the arm assembly if the ball joint or bushings are gone - less labor cost but more parts cost.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Horrible design failure?

This is all for a brake booster.

Intake hose
Intake resonator
Battery
Battery tray
3pcs wiper cowling
Wiper arms
Wiper motor
Wiper linkage
Metal cowling
Master cylinder
Both pipes from ABS to master
Vacuum hose brackets
Heater hose brackets
Evap bracket

And blood. One must always make a sacrifice to the automotive gods. And a bastard to bleed on top of that, took almost 2 quarts worth to get all the air out, even with the computer ABS bleed procedure.
2010 Mazda CX-9

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

0toShifty posted:

Isn't this booster (and the Escape one) covered by some extended warranty?

That's the one that whistles like a steam train when you push the pedal fairly hard, right?

She actually brought it to me right from the dealer so I guess not. They did just perform a recall with updated control arms, which is nice. Was leaking vacuum at light brake pressure, and would get very hard (and hissing). Keep pressing and it would regain full assist and put you through the windshield.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
That reminds me I need to do it in my Genesis, a little over 50k and I'm sure it's easier to get rid of before it gets bad.

That being said, I'll take it any day over port fuel injection. They added about 40hp by bumping the compression ratio of the motor and increased fuel economy while doing that. Worth the occasional extra maintenance to me.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

drat, first time I've heard of that. Sounds like they put a non-vented battery in its place to save a few bucks or possibly worse some shop/store did it and/or didn't hook up the vent hoses.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Throatwarbler posted:

If the only thing stopping the car from murdering its occupants with H2S is lack of a vent hose on the battery that's pretty terrifying.

Most vehicles batteries aren't in the passenger compartment, but yeah, there are usually just 1 or 2 hoses that clip onto the battery so when it out gasses they are vented out of the car. I don't think it's hard to find them (the correct battery) anymore but before they were common I know of people putting a similar sized battery without vent lines into the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It sounds like from the repair thread posted above there is an actual vent line from the compartment. Probably the vent line got knocked off or the new battery didn't have the fixins to attach the vent line to it.

You see sort of the same thing happen when guys replace the stock Miata batteries with j. random parts-shop battery that no longer has provisions to attach the vent hose.

I did the opposite. I have a Miata battery under the hood of the Z. Now I have vent hoses with nowhere to run them to!