Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Can anyone break down a history of the nWo? The more detailed the better (members coming and going).

I remember the third man angle, I remember the wolf pack and I remember nWo and nWo b-team. I just can't remember how it ended. Then I think it came back for a little big. And I don't know how that one ended either. It's like a book I never finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

It didn't. At one point nWo people stopped showing up on the shows as nWo people, then they'd get back together only to disappear again, then it all started up in WWF as well. Finally the nWo ended with an announcement from Vince McMahon that they were now done and that was that.

There were a couple of points that could have been perfect for the nWo to end (or to tear itself apart through petty jealousies and the lack of a unifying factor), such as Starrcade 97, or the Hogan/Goldberg match. But it just kept on going and going and going.

What happened between the red/black/white nWo following the Finger poke of doom and the one with Bret Hart and Jeff Jerrett in it? The commentators acted as if it was this big reunion. I never understood how we got from the inclusion of the wolf pack to the silver and black.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Is Hogan's Mr. America run regarded fondly? (I know Jericho does, but he was part of it.)

I loved the Mr. America run because of how much they leaned into the absurdity. It's the same reason Elias and his mysterious brother trolling the gently caress out of Kevin Owens is good. Like what I actually liked about it was being in on the joke and watching the bad guy get really mad that everyone was gaslighting him

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Geez, Hogan must have liked Luger. He tapped out and didn't immediately pop right back up in disbelief.

I loved that night and got really pissed off when the stripped him

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

Lex was crazy over and had a terrific redemption story (he lost the original WarGames match against the nWo) and then, farrrrrrrrrt.

Why did they strip him of the title I can't remember except thinking at the time it made no sense and was a terrible story

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

they didn't, Hogan just beat him at Road Wild later that week

Maybe I'm thinking of when luger and the giant won the tag titles and were stripped. Or maybe I have it all wrong

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

my god it's such pure bullshit

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

Stevie Richards seems like a legit good dude, one of the few guys from that era who may be much healthier and happier now than he was back then.

I remember when Stevie was working the Velocity show with an gimmick that he was with Victoria and unlike everyone else he dressed up like her and seemed like her valet. They played it like look at this girly dude he's such a loser he acts like the woman. And all I thought was man these two are really cool I love how supportive he is.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/90sWWE/status/1592632167632629760

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It is really kinda wild how fast that company died. Compared to TNA which found a way to survive in one for or another, or modern day companies that just are too big to die it's kinda wild how WCW went under

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

It was making Kevin Nash the head booker and booking the worst TV in history that cut the buyrates so low the company went from making more money than any company in history to losing money in one year.

Can anyone give examples of Nash's terrible booking that killed the buyrate

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

The Great Poop Feud of '99.

I stopped watching sometime around 2000 so I should have been watching around this time but man I have no idea what you're referring to lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lord.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I think I hate the on air authority figure. There have only been two good ones - Mr. McMahon (only from like 98 - 99) and Dario Cueto. Eric was probably the worse maybe only beaten by Russo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

did they respray the world title every night or was it just really good spray paint?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

How do you think spray paint works exactly that it would need to be redone repeatedly like that

I guess that's true it's not like it's a dry erase marker

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Tato posted:

The perfect gift for that special someone on valentine's day, the Big Sexy vibrating action figure

Hell, invite Scott too. The more the merrier.

when I was a kid I had a sealed vibrating crow sting. It got destroyed in hurricane katrina

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol I forgot Inferno was in the loving wolfpac

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1629850720953417730

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

glenn

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Luger was so over in 96 - 98 they really should have gone all in on him beating Hogan and winning the title

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

didn't vince give up the title like right away as well?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

1989 creatively is only matched by how poorly it did financially. (1992 is similar.)

If the stories were good and matches were good why did it do poorly financially.?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1700592094476202455

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1700595364770803838

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When I see these old shows with what looks like literally just a front row around the ring I can't help but laugh at the folks who laugh about the small crowds at AEW shows on twitter.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Terry is great.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

this show was way better than arm wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb1Z_01CTVM

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/RememberingWCW/status/1707191318579941762

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

He looks like his head has been CGI’d onto his body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwQKA4BuPQ&t=179s

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

heh heh....dink

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I only ever saw Kevin Sullivan post 96 wcw so seeing him young and what he was doing is wild. I can safely say if I watched young kevin sullivan when I was 14 he would have been my favorite dude.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

even more than that - gently caress ecw fans for how they treated him at one night stand and especially gently caress joey styles for saying he should kill himself on commentary.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dutch is full of poo poo and does NOT have a plan!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

syzpid posted:

All the Awesome/Tanaka matches are amazing. I love that WWE was pissed at them for going all out at One Night Stand.

I never heard that. What was WWE pissed off about exactly?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

It's very funny that the worst Awesome/Tanaka match was too good for WWE.

Did Vince's dad hate the wrestling part of his show as much as his son does?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I posted it in another thread but since it came up here's the quote from DDP on that reddit in case you don't want to click

level 1
RealDDP
OP
·
1 hr. ago
Mach didn't say things like this to ANYONE...not because he was a dick or anything, he was just that old school introverted closed off type that kept to himself and left everything bottled up inside. The closest thing I had to him opening up, was the hug he gave me for leaving him a voicemail on Thanksgiving telling him I was thankful for him in my life. This video resurfaced just in time for the anniversary of Halloween Havoc 1997, the final match in the feud of Randy “Macho Man” Savage vs DDP… The other day I was thinking, Man I wish Randy did at least one shoot style interview talking about our 1997 PWI feud of the year. Mach didn’t do any sit down interviews that were shoot style. Then my buddy Sean found this interview. Turns out to be from the WCW Superstar Series. A collection of VHS tapes WCW put out in 1998. There were so many wrestling vhs tapes being made then, I never would have seen just a random bio tape. It's pretty wild to hear these powerful words posthumously from one of my heroes who helped make my career. RIP Randy. DDP

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lid posted:

The comments noting that won PWI Feud of the Year over Austin v The Hart Foundation has me feeling things. Greatly conflicted things.

the ddp/savage feud was easily my favorite thing happening in wcw at the time.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

John Tenta was one of my favorites that I wished they did more with anywhere he went

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What did Pillman do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

stab posted:

Goddamn Big Kev is the best

Time continues to only prove Big Sexxy more and more correct.