Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

FirstCongoWar posted:

Paratroopers!

They're elite infantry and relatively cheap (in a $$$ sense). Plus you can support them with all sorts of tanks, plans, and artillery once you decide to branch out.

If you go with British or American paratroopers, you also get lots of funky deployment options and stuff to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Bufkhan posted:

I found three Mk IVs, three Mk IIIs, one Tiger, and exactly 19 German soldiers armed with a mix of rifles and submachine guns. Is that enough for a small FOW army, or will I need to guy a lot more crap? I'm probably going to the store tomorrow to get the starter set that was mentioned earlier.

Infantry are usually based in stands of 4 or 5 guys, and a platoon is about 5-7 stands, so you've got about 4-5 stands worth of guys there, probably not quite a platoon. You will probably need some more eventually. But for starting out, you're probably not too badly placed in terms of armour - you may need to reevaluate later, of course.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Did anybody ever actually play Flames of War Vietnam, or did everyone do what I did and sperg about how cool the models were?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Lord Commissar posted:

Flames of War question:

FoW offers a battalion box of Udarny Strelkovy. I know those are basically a more elite infantry, but is there anything on them that would make them stand out? What I mean is, can I use them as regular ol' infantry?

Following that up, who else makes decent 15mm WWII models (specifically infantry) that I can get for less than FoW figs?

I'm pretty sure it says somewhere on the FoW website that the Udarny Strelkovy can be used to make a regular Strelkovy battalion as well.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Interestingly, each of us probably lost our respective games because of the same thing - indecisiveness. No Pun Intended's huge platoons of paratroopers were pretty well placed to just roll over my line in the first game, but he got spooked by a lucky barrage from some Nebelwerfers and a commendable early effort from the Luftwaffe, so by the time he actually put together an attack I'd managed to whittle down his platoons to a point where my StuGs could break through and take an objective (while the Tigers mucked around in the centre of the table doing nothing).

The second game, I tried an overly complex pincer strategy that just gave No Pun Intended's reserves time to show up. StuGs and Panzergrenadiers went round the flanks while I had an aneurysm and decided to "hold the centre" with my Tigers (who predictably achieved even less this time around, since they had nothing much to shoot at).

In hindsight, I should have just massed my StuGs, Tigers and Panzergrenadiers in a big blob, crashed through his thin line of dug in paratroopers and then relied on my nice shiny armour to keep the Americans off the objective.

As No Pun Intended says, against infantry Tigers aren't game winning death machines - they're slow, and they're more about area denial than racking up the kills.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I love StuGs. I use a platoon of four in my GrenadierKompanie and they tend to tear around a flank and then gently caress around behind the enemy tearing poo poo up.

I love them too, but Flames of War doesn't really model the difference between turret and hull-mounted guns particularly well. So it just kind of feels like StuGs are sort of better than Panzer IVs most of the time.

Sometimes I daydream about baffling opponents by arriving at a tournament with a Luftwaffe Field Company and filling the table with Reluctant Trained Germans (and their StuGs).

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

LintMan posted:

Here are my only tanks in my British Para Army. Yes they fit those things in a glider and landed them in Normandy for the D-day landings. Not the best picture as its an in game shot.

No Pun Intended and I have chuckled about these little guys, but are they actually a lot of use? Oh, how I hope that they are!

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

LintMan posted:

German Tanks and half tracks are expensive points wise. Good thing about the halftracks is they come with a 3 dice MG so your have a huge anti Infantry capability.

As will anything with a decent AT rating that happens to shoot at your shiny halftracks loaded with guys, as No Pun Intended recently demonstrated to me.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Has anybody had any experiences fielding one of the lists for a really lovely force, like the Luftwaffe Field Divisions or some of the light tank lists from Eastern Front?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

torsoboy posted:

How effective is the Mounted Assault rule for ze Germanz in FOW? I like the idea of a mobile panzergrenadier company but haven't had the chance to play.

It can be really nasty, but it's not a magic "I win" button and if you launch frontal assaults against unpinned infantry most of your guys will die.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
No Pun Intended fails to mention that we also had a great deal of fun with a couple of Mid-War tank battles - in essence, 3 Tigers facing 20ish T-34s and various assault guns.

The first time, some extraordinarily lucky shooting from the SU-85s and side shots from the T-34s managed to bail two of the Tigers, after which the Tigers fled the table, leaving the (somewhat reduced) Soviets in glorious victory.

The second time, deadly accurate rapid firing Tiger Aces slaughtered the Soviets - destroying virtually the entire Soviet company in short order.

Much fun had by all.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
As No Pun Intended, the trick to dealing with Tigers (ordinary or King) is mostly to ignore them and focus on other things.

The trick to using Tigers is to place them somewhere where they can't be ignored.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Devlan Mud posted:

In our gaming group it's obligatory to make a BANG or POW or other gun sound when you are required to kill a team with the komissar.

Best house rule.

Plane noises are absolutely required when rolling for air support.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Additionally, Flames of War is not a recreational historical simulation, but a historical game where two sides of similar size meet in battle. Weaknesses are combined with strengths to make it a fair and fun battle. Making the Polish or French army crappy and always lose would simply not make sense from a game designer viewpoint, as it would make for a very boring game and few sales.

Instead they will probably just give the Poles cheaper troops to cover the Germans' access to better equipment etc.

It's much more likely that we'll just get boring generic lists for France and Poland (and probably nothing for Norway or Italy, etc.) and detailed lists for the 323. SS-Panzergrenadierkompanie after they were reequipped during the last week of the war in Poland but before being redeployed to the Netherlands.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Have you ever looked at FoW? Dig through the army lists here for a while and see what you come up with.

For those not interested in rooting through the entire thing, probably the most interesting unit in there is the 1st Brazillian Expeditionary Division. Yeah.

I know, I know - I was just being a bit unkind to Battlefront about their free content.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
No Pun Intended just soundly thrashed me with a horde of zippy little British tanks. I helped, of course - I took nowhere near enough light AT (Flak 88s are really overkill against anything except a Matilda) and deployed really stupidly - but No Pun Intended's played the Armoured Regiment just right - take lots of tanks and pour them all over enemy resistance.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Are we expecting an Early War Barbarossa book?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Oh god I just ordered British Colonial and Zulu army packs from Baccus and it's sinking in just how many little men will turn up.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

Definitely order direct. Pete is one of the best. If you email him what you need he can make you up any ratio of stands you need.

Unfortunately it's all a bit delayed at the moment because he's sick :(

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Trouble Man posted:

Oh god I just ordered British Colonial and Zulu army packs from Baccus and it's sinking in just how many little men will turn up.

Update to this: so many micromen but so compact! On a 6 x 4 table there'll be actual maneuvers!

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
So No Pun Intended had a good old bash around with my 6mm Brits and Zulus last week (we used a variant of Black Powder called Still Learning The Rules) and had a lot of fun with them. Quite fun to push several hundred little men around a table, even if we ended up with a fairly bloody draw.

Since I'm more or less done with painting and basing them to my fairly remedial standards - there's another 60ish Brits I want to do as a Naval Brigade detachment but that's a couple of nights work tops (the best bit about 6mm) - I was wondering if anybody had recommendations for another little force to put together, and somewhere to get them from. I know Mahdists would be one option, but I was wondering about something from the North West Frontier (Afghans or Pathans or something). Any other thoughts gratefully appreciated!

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

Nah it's playable at any scale. Rick P told me ( name dropping terribly) that he plays it in 6 and 10 mm at home. The books are just full of lovely 28mm eye candy. There's a whole appendix on using different figure scale. I play it in 6mm.

FWIW, Black Powder plays perfectly well in 6mm.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

I'm always quite impressed at Battlefront's willingness to say "yes, we hosed up."

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Black powder works well at any scale, all the way down to 6mm. There is indeed a good deal of command variation, most of the strength of the ruleset is in the command structure and orders system, I highly recommend it.

I've had good success with Colonial Africa at 6mm with Black Powder - works like a dream.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

No Pun Intended posted:

Who else makes WWI ranges in 6/10/15mm? Battlefront obviously, and I know Pendraken do 10mm.

Baccus is starting WWI in 6mm, and Irregular does WW1 in every scale known to man.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

Americans in this thread seem constantly amazed that the UK has a postal service.

He's from New Zealand. Traditionally we're used to a six week trip on the slow boat and then NZ Post kicks it until it breaks.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

Tbf Navwar are the only company I can think of who operate by fax and thats run by one old bloke. He gets let off because despite that you will get your products faster than most companies with an online shop and not only does he use 1980s communication tech but he charges 1980s prices. Navwar rocks

Irregular website rules. It's so back to the 90s.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, Baccus' new website actually looks halfway decent.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

The last version had pictures, but the navigation and color scheme were abysmal.

Yeah, Baccus has never been top-tier Bad Website (it's always actually had an online shop!) but the new website at least looks like it was made in the last five years.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I think it's cool that the former head of the New Zealand Defence Force, Lt. Gen. Rhys Jones, got New Zealand gamers to do the painting because he also loves war dollies.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
So I'm thinking about modelling 500 pts or so of Force Publique for Bolt Action. Is there any way of making this not suck on the table?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Well, for force publique, you can't go wrong with max strength squads, Maxim MGs and maybe light field pieces. Probably inexperienced for the lot, and regular for the white officers. At 500 points, you can probably expect a StuG to try and scare you, but not much else.

Besides, people always talk how LMGs are never worth it in Bolt Action (unless you use "Season 2" rules), so you're not missing out.

Yeah, this seems to be the way to go. To answer Thundercloud, I'm not sure they got equipped with much of anything but I might fudge an armoured car for interest.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Well, I just ordered a couple of hundred dollars worth of 2mm horse and musket mans. Pray for me.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

Plus you could play Waterloo on a seat tray in the back of a van on long trips.

E: Also, a couple hundred dollars? Does that buy the entire Peninsula War?

Well, I live in New Zealand. So a hefty chunk of that is postage :smithicide:

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

INinja132 posted:

I'm in the exact same boat! Currently trying to decide between the Franco-Prussian and Early First World War BEF/Germany starter packs from Baccus 6mm. If anyone's played either or has any opinions on the Baccus stuff I'm all ears.

Baccus is great. Super nice, efficient shipping, a vaguely modern website. The models are also good but the main thing is that you should give Mr Baccus money for dragging 6mm out of the clutches of grog Gopher websites.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I was just questioning why the UK would have better command all across the board than the US. And really, you could make the argument that the Crimean war era British army was a logistical basket case that was plagued with a bunch of nobles in the officer corps that led like twits anyway.

Well, they did win.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Who doesn't remember how Napoleon lost at Waterloo because he advanced the Old Guard five yards short of effective musket range by mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

A guy on /hwg/ is running Blitzfreeze, which is Five Men at Normandy campaign supplement about the for German retreat from Leningrad and it's kind of a tale of survival horror

4channer posted:

>Dive into a frozen piss ditch to save your officer and lose your leg
>Get called a coward and left on the side of the road