Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I've heard good things about Foundry: http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/worldwar2/german

Not sure if they're what you're looking for, but worth a try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Kaza42 posted:

I want to start a Flames of War army, but am not sure which nation/list to go with. I'd like to be a defense-oriented infantry list, digging in on objectives and being as hard as possible to move. Offensively, I plan to rely on gun teams and artillery rather than tanks.

I was looking at the Italy Veterans Rifle list from Fortress Europe as the Americans, but are there any other lists that fit this concept well?

Fearless Vet Brit Airbourne are probably one of hardest units to dislodge- Fearless Vet + Morale rerolls + Tank Assault 3 Gammon Bombs. You pretty much have to commit to killling them all if you want to dislodge them from an objective. Also, the Rifle/MG can throw out a lot more firepower than US Rifle teams. Brit Market Garden lists also get no tank support at all - just airdropped arty and mortars.

If you're set on US infantry, there are 4 lists (all with Vet and Trained Options) to consider for Late War(Fortress Europe is no longer legal in tourney play, I believe)
- Road to Rome US Rifles - Big units (can take an extra rifle team), tons of firepower options, and some really nice defensive options (Field fortifications) .
- Road to Rome Nisei (Fearless Vet/Trained) -fewer gun options, but nastier infantry.
- Overlord US Rifle Company - though it doesn't have defences, it still has a hell of a lot of support and rfirepoewr options - 3 Field Artillery Batteries are seriously yummy. Also, consider: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/USDivisionsNormandy.pdf, though I'm not sure this is legal anymore.
- Devil's Charge US Rifles - fewer support options, but more static defences, and a bonus ONLY when fighting SS Units. Particularly yummy because they're the only list that can go all out on 76mm Shermans.

To be honest, if you're interested in US Infantrry, the best book is probably RTR: US Infantry don't really get any options beyond that of RTR, and there, you at least have the choice of going FV/FT rather than just CV/CT. Also, note that if you're running Overlord, you get the old (lower) AT value for the 76mm, and a No HE restriction on the 57mm. You get the higher AT value for the 76mm + HE on the 57mm in Devil's Charge. You can pick in RTR.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 29, 2015

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Kaza42 posted:

Thanks for the responses. Are fortified companies any good? I noticed there's a dedicated fortified list in Devil's Charge, gets some neat fortifications and artillery support, and the British get something similar with the Tobruk fortified list from north africa.

I haven't personally played with fortified lists myself, but the US fortified list in Devil's Charge looks a bit fragile, mostly because of being reluctant + small platoon sizes (7 before upgrades). The Aussie fortified list in Hellfire and Back looks a bit more potent, but does suffer from being Trained (Veteran is far better for defensive lists, because it means your opponent has to close to within 16" to shoot you most of the time)

However, the main sticking point is what period your local groups play - if they don't play Early War, then you're not going to get much mileage out of the fortified Aussie list (though I'm sure most of it would be usable in a MW El Alamein 9th Australian list).

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Yeah - some Battlefront packaging decisions are just plain infuriating. I'm currently trying to build a Late War US Rifle Company, but the Rifle company box set comes with only 2 Rifle Platoons, so to get a 3rd, I need to either have a metal rifle platoon, or buy a box and throw poo poo away.

Am traditionally a Brit player (I can basically field any LW Brit Rifle, Armoured or Motor Rifles list option, except for Archers - don't like those, prefer M10Cs), but got suckered into buying an American army when I saw Grimball's Beasts. Thinking of picking up another one of those as it seems like it's the cheapest way to get a decent American mechanized force - sell the excess pershings (because who needs 6 pershings?), keep the Armoured Rifles and Shermans, and it's cheaper than buying the Arm Rifles and Shermans separately.

EDIT: It seems like I can kill birds with one stone. I can buy a 2nd Rifle company box, build a rifle platoon, and use the other bits to get infantry for a third Armored infantry platoon. All I then have to do is buy half-tracks and I'll have 3 rifle platoons, 3 Armored Infantry Platoons, 2 Sherman Platoons, a 155mm platoon, and all I'll need to get pretty much most US options I'll ever want to play are a box of M3s, a box of M10s, a box of Easy 8s, 2 boxes of Priests, 1 Cav Recon Blister, 4 AA Halftracks and a battery of 105s.......... I can then field some seriously sick 5000 pt or so 3 Company US force (1 Rifle, 1 Arm Rifle and 1 Tank) to go with my 5 Company (8000ish pt) British Force....

gently caress you Battlefront. I like my money. Stop stealing it. The best thing is if I ever get sick of tihs,l I can justify all these purchases as being for another WW2 gaming system....

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 30, 2015

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arquinsiel posted:

I bought a Warlord Wargames Factory 15mm US infantry box a while back when a friend was putting in an order. I haven't actually even taken possession of it yet, but I have a vague idea that it will become a Bolt Action 15mm force. This scale is evil for pile creep.

Kind of seriously unimpressed by Wargames Factory. Bought some of their Caesarean Romans when they were on sale (£6), and really not impressed with the detail + pieces were really hard to stick together given that they were plastic + the pieces don't fit together very well. Almost certainly not buying any of their stuff again.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Yeah, I was tempted by SoG, but the Kickstarter exclusives and limited stuff really turned me off it. Why do companies feel the need to make everything collectible? Why do people have to feel so strongly about getting exclusive toys nobod else gets to play with?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
What would you guys recommend when it comes to transport for 15mm Historicals (mostly Flames of War)? I want to protect them properly, given that I've started painting them!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Colonial Air Force posted:

I got a sheet magnet with a sticky back and put it on all my FoW bases, then use a cookie sheet to transport them.

I should also probably add that I mostly use public transport to move my minis around, and I'm afraid that doing that might be a little risky. Is it OK? Also, how does it work with tanks? Do you just base tanks?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arquinsiel posted:

Something about 15mm makes it oddly expensive compared to the scales either side of it. Even going with PSC and Zvezda you're still likely to pay way more for a company sized army than you will for a Battalion at other scales :iiam:

Even 25mm/28mm? There's no way buying 400 25mm minis can be cheaper than 400 15mm minis....

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

BeigeJacket posted:

I found the prose in Team Yankee to be charmingly crappy. Once you get through the minimal amount of 'characterisation' and set up at the beginning it turns into dopey fun.

Coyle is clearly only interested in the combat, especially the tank fights, which is fine by me. Although, not once in that book did the Soviets ever appear as a genuine threat.

Any London goons here playing Team Yankee btw? A few guys at my club got the starter boxes, but I'm the only one who's built and pained his poo poo.

I'm waiting for the Bundeswehr and BAOR to hit. Americans and Soviets are too mainstream.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Been loving about with some FOW LIsts. Desperately trying to find some use for my Comets. Unfortunately, the 1420 pts limit for Late War means after buying 7 Comets (The bare minimum you need to field a Comet list), you've only got around 400 points left to spend. Anyone got any good lists?

My two lists

HQ - Comet 145
Combat Platoon - 3 Comet 435
Combat Platoon -3 Comet 435
Weapons Platoon - Rifle Platoon with LCV-4 Water Buffalo - 210
Support Platoon - Field Battery RA 185

Total 1410 pts

No Recon and only 7 tanks. And only 4 loving platoons. Jesus Christ.

The Other list I'm considering:

HQ - Comet 145
Combat Platoon - 3 Comet 435
Combat Platoon -3 Comet 435
Weapons Platoon - Half Strength Rifle Platoon 140
Support Platoon - 15th/19th Hussars Recce 90
Limited Air Support 170

Total 1415 pts

There is Recon, but now I'm running a half-strength Rifle Platoon (And Brit Rifle Platoons are already tiny), and now I have no reliable templates. Having Typhoons is nice though. I'm still only on 7 tanks and 4 recon, and they're not even great tanks. Don't get me wrong, Comets seem good, but FA8 doesn't seem like it'll stand up well to AT 13 Easy Eights, AT 14 Panthers, or AT 15 Fireflies.....

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

spectralent posted:

The comet armoured lists are kinda garbage, unfortunately. You really need the lorried rifles list that gets them that I think is digital-exclusive to make best use of them in anything but the bigger games.

I do have the digital exclusive lists. Will try loving about with Lorried Rifles on Forces of War. I find it really annoying that BF didn't put Lorried Rifles in the goddamn book. They're pretty much the exact same list as Rifles, but with slightly different support options (moar tanks). Hell, in some books (e.g. Market Garden) they don't even bother making the distinction.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
These are my Lorried rifles lists:

Rifle Company HQ - 30 pts
Lorried Rifle Platoon - 180 pts
Lorried UC Platoon - 90 pts
Lorried AT Platoon (4 6-pdrs) - 140 pts
Armoured Platoon - 3 Comets - 435 pts
4 Gun Battery, Field Battery, RA - 185 pts.

I could swap the AT out to go for the full 8 guns, but that's probably risky, as I'm out of AT assets once my Comets go pop.

Alternatively,

Rifle Company HQ - 30 pts
Reduced Lorried Rifle Platoon - 140 pts
Reduced Lorried Rifle Platoon - 140 pts
Lorried UC Platoon - 90 pts
Lorried AT Platoon (4 6-pdrs) - 140 pts
Lorried Mortar Platoon (4 3inch mortars) - 120 pts
Armoured Platoon - 4 Comets -560 pts

Also exactly 1420.

Also, seriously, what's with the 1420pts point total? It seems really low.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

spectralent posted:

I'd keep the guns, honestly; the british staff team brings a lot, though it is a tradeoff between the rerolled save and the easier time concealing yourself. It's not like soviets, germans, or most of the minor nations where mortars are a clearly superior option for fire support.

Do you get any benefit from the staff team at 4 guns, other than All Guns Repeat? It seems most of it is from going up to 8 guns.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

spectralent posted:

You get the British artillery special rules, including the one where a repeat bombardment gets to force things hit by it to reroll successful saves (and IIRC one or two others, but they're less important).

For most armies, the ability to repeat bombardments isn't all that useful, and germany and the soviets don't have many artillery special rules worth mentioning, so for them it's usually best to go for the lighter guns that don't have the heavy gun team concealing/digging in rules, unless you're going full-on arty party, but for the yanks and brits there's some serious advantage to having a proper poo poo-sheller battery.

EDIT: Essentially you should usually take guns that are as light as possible while still throwing smoke. You fill 2/3 of the important things that your arty is doing, that way, while retaining the ability to dig in and become much harder to kill (or, if you somehow get a light gun battery like nebs that can smoke, you can just stop shooting for a turn if things look dicey; possibly while digging in!).

I just went and looked up mike Target in my Main rulebook. Apparently, in the upgrade to version 3, all British batteries get mike target, not just the 8 gun batteries. Shows how out of the loop I've been with Flames (I started collecting/learned the rules just as Version 2 came out). Makes those stupid 25 pounders a lot more attractive.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

lilljonas posted:

If we played FoW, this would be one of the first things that we'd mod away from the ruleset.

Having models for 5.5 inch guns are sort of cool though. Even though they've probably never been fired over open sights in all of NW Europe.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Ilor posted:

Posted a CoC AAR on the Lardies' forum here: Sidi Regezh

While I work on amassing and painting WW2 miniatures, it warms the cold, black, bitter cockles of my soul to use GW miniatures for a game that's actually good. Oh, wait, was that my Death Thread showing?

It pains my soul to see inaccurate miniatures being used.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Colonial Air Force posted:

The regiment I reenact ended up in Norway after being practically destroyed at Oosterbeek.

I know that's not even remotely the same thing, but I like mentioning it.

Borders? Staffs? KOSBies or one of the Para ones?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So I've started collecting Americans for Flames of War. What's a good points value to aim for? I've seen 1420, 1500, 1650, 1750 etc. all being bandied around. I'm really not in touch with the tournament scnee, and probably won't be playing in any tourneys, but trying to get some casual games in.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

spectralent posted:

I've discovered BF are loving awful about getting things even to entirely legit stores, but yeah, I've had issues with Wayland on even non-BF products, so I'm inclined to think they're the common factor there. My favourite little trick of theirs is saying things are in stock when they most assuredly aren't and only telling you this when the reorder actually comes in.

Battlefront's problem is they are a relatively small company with a massive index of product codes for a relatively small company. All those stupid blisters with individual variations of German tanks or British armoured car that are probably hopelessly low volume.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

zokie posted:

Does anyone know if non-white empire troops that served in world war 2 had their own officers?
Specifically I'm making a platoon of Sikhs to fight some CoC in North Africa. And I'm wondering if I should put turbans on the senior officers.

Edit: they did

There were definitely Indian officers in the Indian army, especially later in the war, but the vast majority of senior officers (majors and above) were white.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So... I own 3 different British LW Armoured Squadrons (Comets, Cromwells, Shermans). I'm about to pick up a Desert MW Armoured Squadron - probably one with Crusaders. I've painted one of these squadrons. Do I have a problem?

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 18, 2017

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arquinsiel posted:

Yup.

No plans for an Early War Squadron :colbert:

A9s and A10s are sooo.. .crummy.

I might got for a Pure Crusader II Squadron so I can do a Crusader/Gazala Squadron rather than a Crusader II/III Alamein Squadron.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Flames of War 4 looks dreadful. No more infantry. BUY MORE TANKS.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Yvonmukluk posted:

Five Men In Normandy/Five Men In Kursk might be up your alley.

In unrelated news, holy crap you can get a box of 5 PSC T-55s for literally less than half the price of 5 of Battlefronts. What are Battlefront even thinking with their pricing scheme?

Because they were idiots insisting on resin rather than, ya know, plastics like everyone else.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

evenworse username posted:

Hey thanks for this, now I gotta practice my freehand maple leaves I guess.

e: God's death, the Canadian army never used the Crocodile!

e2: or maybe they did, poo poo's complicated

The only units that used the Chruchill Crocs were British- primarily 31st Army Tank brigade with 141 Regiment Royal Armoured Corps (Buffs) (Normandy onwards), 1st Fife & Forfar Yeomanry (September onwards) and 7th Royal Tank Regiment (Rhine Crossing onwards)., and 25th Armoured Engineer Brigade in Italy (51st RTR). You can probably find some sort of instance where the Canadians were supported by Crocs, especially during assaults on fortified positions (Scheldt campaign, or Operation Veritable during the Rhineland campaign - there may also cases during Normandy). You're unlikely to see Canadians in Italy fight alongside Crocs, though, because I Canadian Corps was withdrawn around January/Feb to reinforce 21st Army Group in Northwest Europe.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 14, 2017

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

muggins posted:

I tried to read the military history thread but it goes really fast and there's a lot of really deep insular stuff

Ooh link?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arquinsiel posted:

Picked up the new FoW book in the FLGS yesterday. Took a quick skim of it. Seems like they decided the way to balance out Hen and Chicks being unfun was to give it to everyone. Lots of odd decisions made here.

Wait... what?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

JcDent posted:

Is the The 50th (Northumbrian/ Green howards?) infantry div a good, non snowflakey unit for Brits? I'm looking for decals online and outside of Highlanders on WG site, there isn't much choice.

I mean, most British Line units are fairly non-snowflakey unless you're talking about the Airborne. The Wallies didn't really go for super-special OMG special treatment in the same way that the Germans tended to do with Grossdeustchland and the Lower numbered Waffen SS divsions.

50ID was mostly a territorial formation that ostensibly recruited from the Northeast of England (Though as the war went along, they did lose some of their character), but lost a brigade in North Africa and was replaced by a combination of Free French, Greek, and other British territorials. They then had a brigade of Southern regulars permanently attached for the Normandy campaign and beyond. It was actually a pretty good division with a fairly solid reputation throughout the war. Your main problem with 50ID is you can't play with really late war stuff (like Comets and Ram Kangaroos) because the division was disbanded in November 44.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Battlefront are like the GW of the Historicals world. Absolutely gorgeous models (for the most part). Used to have a good rules set then really screwed the pooch.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Commissar Kip posted:

Also, their poo poo is expensive as gently caress.

Idk, it used to be reasonably priced. It’s not anymore

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
There's a Black Friday sale on, and there's a British retailer doing 50% off Mid War Flames of War. So so tempted to get myself about 70 points of Desert Brits for just over £50.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arquinsiel posted:

That is some insanely dense tank mush alright.

Link?

http://www.warboargames.co.uk/black-friday-sale/?sort=newest&page=2

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Cessna posted:

Near as I can tell, FoW is a wargame based on movies of WWII. For the Soviets this means their army is sword-swinging cossacks, cruel commissars, and human wave attacks.

I mean, I think the Soviets play heavily into the stereotypes, but I think the WAllies actually aren't too bad; Shermans are pretty good, you see Arty play its proper role, and the allied penchant for shooting things rather than assaulting things is shown pretty well.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So hypothetically, if I wanted to throw money away, does anyone do any plastic Napoleonic Austrians other than Perry Minis? I hate metal, so if we can avoid any metal minis, that'd be great....

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arquinsiel posted:

Were USMC units deployed to Germany? From what I've found of Reforger '83 images it seems that the heavier vehicles there are a boring green. At 6mm this might actually matter, since telling apart M113s and FV432s at that scale at a glance might be awkward.

I think the US 2nd Marine Division was involved in some REFORGER exercises. I don't think there were ever any seriously concrete plans to actually deploy it, though.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

spectralent posted:

Honestly, lately, it feels like BF are trying to speedrun old-school GW.

I mean, I'm trying to think of a "here's what BF need to do-" and I'm struggling. There's the obvious issues with stock and supply and they price kits higher, out of cheaper material, with fewer extras. There's the numerous rules issues; assault is now essentially the phase you do shoot-and-scoot in and several core rules make the game look really ugly and resolve weird, in what's nominally the simplifying edition. I'm not sure what they even need to turn around at this stage.

I still don't understand why BF have made 0 attempt to future proof their plastic kits. They made a M4A1 Sprue without any option for 76mm M4A1s, and a Churchill Sprue for the I and III only - no IV, V, or VI for Late War, and a Panzer IV Sprue without any of the early war snub guns.... Surely getting a few extra bits on the loving sprue would be cheaper than retooling the whole sprue.....

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
The vast majority of UK IAs and IIAs ended up with the 6th Armoured Division, 6th South African Armoured or 2nd New Zealand Diviision in Italy, which is traditionally a less sexy theatre of war, and hence often gets overlooked. Also, them Fireflies are much more gloriously phallic.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Ilor posted:

Says you. Once I paint up the Italians I got off mugginns, I'm gonna have a blast doing Sicily/Italy stuff. There are some great engagements in both campaigns. Monte Cassino in particular was a slug-fest.

You still don't get 76mm Shermans until the Gothic Line battles and the 1945 offensive. i.e. the even less sexy part of the less sexy theatre.

quote:

If we're going to go Full Grog, the South African and New Zealand units would not be considered part of the UK, and most of the II's that they got passed through their hands into other nations units, like the exiled Polish, French, Belgian etc... units that got attached to British Divisions. Brigades had crazy inter-Division mobility during the war too.
Commonwealth Shermans were supplied to them all via the UK's lend-lease stocks.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I’m still miffed that BF downgraded the Comet’s armour just to make it more competitive. If I want to play special snowflake tiny tank forces let me play with my special snowflake tanks damnit