Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Btw; is it worth getting in touch with BF about the missing card from a box of BMPs? It seems kind of overkill for a single handy, but non-essential stat card, on the other hand WHERES MY loving CARD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

We have a house rule that Disorder is 6+ followed by 4+. Works fine.

I love BP but it took me a few games to realise that some units might not get to do anything the whole game.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I'm kinda pissed. Almost none of my Team Yankee infantry fit into the recesses on their bases because the bottoms of the infantry are misshapen, uneven, or have mold lines that are metal and I can't manipulate.

Also most of the guns are horribly bent, even the infantry themselves are at a lot of odd angles.

Yes, I had the same experience with my Soviet infantry. 'Twas ever thus for BF tho.

For the bases, just carve away the extra bits with a knife till it fits. You should be able to bend the guns back into place.

Question. What scale is that railway track in the pics on that TY West German preview? Where do I go if I want to get some cheaper?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Anybody know of terrain buildings/roads etc... that I could get for Team Yankee? The official battlefront buildings look good but theyre expensive and limited.

I wanna build an 80s european town.

I'm using HO scale model railroad buildings for my TY table. Check out a company called Faller. The scale fits fine imo and they have a massive range.

https://www.faller.de

Not the cheapest thing ever, but what is, in this dumb hobby?

I think the key to making a table look right for the game are modern roads (I got both of the Battlefront sets which are very good) and electric pylons.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 5, 2016

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I've got a generic Chinese eBay compressor and it's been fine over the years.

The airbrush itself is worth spending a little money on though. I started using the cheap blue foam Chinese brushes, and while they were sufficient to learn on, they aren't that great.

I mean if all you want to do is base coat tanks then coloured primers are probably the easiest solution.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 5, 2016

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Are there any goon approved alternate rule sets I can use my Team Yankee minis for?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

Anyone in the U.S. had any experience ordering from Skytrex? Been over a month and still a no-show.

I'm in the UK, but have ordered from them several times before. A month to the US doesn't sound out of the ordinary tbh.

The guy is a classic crusty old grog who doesn't really 'get' the internet or 21st century customer service. Nice enough fellow and all, but your order will turn up when it turns up.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 2, 2016

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone have a paint recommendation for the green basecoat on a Chieftain tank?

Battlefront do a British paint set, but I'm not really interested paying for a bunch of other paints I don't need.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

We played P+S as each wing of shotte, pikes being their own unit that can receive its own orders. TBH, it wasn't that great as the bigger games started to get bogged down with orders. The smaller games were fine.

Even tho it's 95% the same as Black Powder it feels different. BP is all about the grand sweep of the lines, while a chinless aristocrat swills port from his position on top the hill, whereas P+S is about clubbing the other guy to death with the butt of your musket.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 13, 2017

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Having an absurd to do list is all part of being a historical grog.

I've done about 75%-ish of my ECW army and it was a fairly quick job. Pretty basic tabletop standard (basecoat, wash, quick highlight on the faces) and it took about 3 months.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

muggins posted:

Thanks! Blood and Plunder IS REALLY FUCKIN COOL.

They're doing another kickstarter in June for some ships and Danish dudes.

Was very close to backing the KS for that, but I've had poo poo luck with gaming kickstarters so I didn't bother :smith:

Do you have naval/land combat at the same time in B+P?

I'll listen to your podcast whilst I paint my ACW dudes.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Anyone wanna throw me a link about the upcoming Blood and Plunder KS?

I really regret not pledging first time round.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Are there any card/paper models for 1:1200 Napoleonic ships?

I've got two full fleets for Warhammer Historicals Trafalgar, which is a great game, but these models look like a nightmare to put together. I spent about 20 mins trying a dry fit, with all the teeny tiny masts and sails before thinking that lifes too short for such unpleasantness.

It's likely a game that'll only be played very, very rarely so it's not a project I want to dump a lot of time into.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

lilljonas posted:

Haha, I have four Spanish ships from Langton, and they were a nightmare to put together with tying the lines and so on. And then, they easily fall apart in transportation.

Here's a link to both a basic ruleset and some printable ships:

http://www.juniorgeneral.org/naval/trafalgar.html

Perfect! Just what I was looking for.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

If you just want to paint Napoleonics you definitely want 28mm so you can do all the tiny details like painting the mustaches on your frenchmen, ect.

But black powder does not play well at 28mm so I'd recommend SP2.

I think BP works great at 28mm personally. I had a big game with some friends on Sunday (will try and get some pics up at some point) - French vs Brits having at it somewhere in Egypt.

You do need a larger table to do it justice true, but 8x6 or 10 x 6 is fine. You don't need those monsters that the Perrys et al play on to have a good time. We've house ruled the movement stats to 2/3s of what they state in the main rulebook.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Hate to break it to you man, but those both count as "monsters" for most people these days. 8x6 is two "standard" tables put together. 10x6 is :stare:

:smuggo:

Nah, seriously there are ways to have a perfectly excellent game of BP without needing the whole room. That's what I love about the game - you can easily cook up a scenario to fit your needs. My pals and I are rather fond of last stand/against all odds battles. We did a great Hougoumont re-fight on the 200th anniversary of Waterloo, which had a handful of Brits surrounded by French, which allowed plenty of movement from the latter on a sensibly sized table.

And as a bonus post treat, here's some pics of a Rorkes Drift game.

http://www.slwargamers.club/Forum/showthread.php?tid=5963&page=2

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Do you have pictures of your Waterloo game?

Can't find them unfortunately :( My pal used photobucket (yes I know) to host them and they all seem to be gone now...

We've talked about doing other Waterloo scenarios. There was this amazing table at Salute a few years ago showing the last charge of the Imperial Guard which seems like a no-brainer.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I made a ghetto light box

Don't mind the single strand of cat hair

Whats your recipe for the very nice looking weathering on this BMP?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I'm getting close to being done with this one and wanna know how it's coming along because it's the most time consuming model ive ever done

Looks great! Really like your Soviets.

If my experience of helis in TY is anything to go by then I'm afraid they won't be spending much time on the table. Damned things get blasted off instantly.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Rascar Capac posted:

A shop in town is having a 25% off sale, which means that the Gale Force 9 Tanks game with Battlefront plastic tanks is £13.50 for the starter set and £5.25 for the expansion packs (Shermans, Panthers etc.). Does anyone have experience of the game? Is it worth it as a toe-in-the-water exercise at this price?

Its fine without being exceptional in any way whatsover. We used to play it at my old club as a way to kill the last half hour after the big boy games were done.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

I'm kind of sad because I'm totally out of fantasy/sci-fi wargaming these days, but my only regular opponent (and best mate) is not into historicals at all. In fact, you may remember me posting my ECW Royalists/Parliamentarians about 4-5 months ago, and since then we've only managed a single game of Kings of War in all that time. As soon as you get into the 'solo play' mechanisms, you may as well be playing a computer game :(

Being a historical grog sometimes means you have to do both armies, terrain, etc. It's a hard pill to swallow at first but it comes with the territory.

Me and Team Yankee for instance :smith: As far as I can tell no bastard plays this anywhere near me and whilst I was able to talk some pals into buying in, they never did anything with their starter boxes afaik.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Fish and Chimps posted:

Btw. Holy poo poo Lardy Rich is thin-skinned when it comes to criticism of the CoC rules. He gets very huffy when you mention you'd like a 2nd ed. that polishes the rules a but.

I met this guy at Salute a couple of years back and thought he was a massive arsehole.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Is anyone here tempted to pick it up? the idea of a naval game looks quite cool and I would want some Soviet ships. Looks way better than Blood Red Skies did.

I'm buying this poo poo day one. I don't know why, as my knowledge of naval warfare is Jack Aubrey, broadsides, blue at the mizzen etc - but the game looks really sweet.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

moths posted:

I'm reading through Team Yankee and I'm legit surprised that the parking lot meme is such a thing.

Like, OK 6" command radius seems crazy. But you're also in command out to 16" if you're in a line formation with the commander.

So a unit has a 32" line and a 12" circle (plus figure size of the commanding team) to play in. Am I missing why everyone clumps up?

I think it's to do with line of sight rules?

It's been a while since I played the system (thought I am working on Flames of War desert armies).

I've found that the parking lot issue can easily be avoided with a few house rules (minimum distances between tanks, double the command distances or just flat out ditch them, make LOS from vehicle to vehicle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

spectralent posted:

No; your hit allocation happens in a 6" bubble, and your commander's jump radius is the same. This means if you focus fire on the middle of a line-abreast formation you can kill everyone within 6" of the commander, meaning he has no valid units to take over, and meaning the unit is automatically in bad spirits regardless of how many extant teams there are. The "kill the center" tactic is very handy on anyone who uses any of the extended command ranges because most people assume that Good Spirits is an "in command" check, but it isn't; good spirits is always within 6" of the commander.

The few times I've played Team Yankee we've always forgotten/couldn't be bothered with the morale rules, and maybe that's for the best. I still like it as a system.

Weren't Battlegroup working on some Cold War rules?