Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fraternite posted:

Can any Germans shed some light on the E.ON ADR (EONGY)?

I can see the dividend got cut relatively recently, the stock has been punished, and it wasn't profitable last quarter, but the P/B on this thing is so brutally low and the yield is so tempting.

Wiki tells me this is the biggest utility in Germany, so how much uglier can the future get for them given the current Euro brouhaha? What's the downside here? Maybe another dividend cut? Why shouldn't I buy a ton of this and just get paid handsomely for sitting on it?

Have they already written down the massive massive losses associated with Germany dumping nuclear power? That book value might be inflated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mike_Hawk posted:

ZYNGA is awfully erratic right now. Went off the cliff this afternoon. Earnings release tomorrow is going to be interesting.

"Safe as houses."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I don't know about that. I'd be curious what the track record is for the recommendations made in this thread.

NOK. Always bet on NOK.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ayekappy posted:

Trader, if you want to buy and hold and make good profits, may I suggest you buy NIOBF. It's a penny stock miner at about .62 a share. Four months ago it was .10 or so. The CEO used to be CEO of Molycorp. Molycorp found a deposit of Niobium in the 60's, and then revisited it in the 90's, but ended up going to other projects because Niobium wasn't as in much demand. Niobium is a rare earth element that makes steel stronger and also makes superconductive materials. Its demand is increasing. The current CEO of Niocorp took the reigns, after buying 8% of the company. Remember, he was the CEO of the company that passed up the mine.

They are doing all the core sampling this summer. Results are 2nd best in the world.

The feasibility report is due Q1 2015.

The CEO owns 8-10% of the company. He knows how feasible the mine is.

Molycorp knew it, they went there twice, just there wasn't much Niobium demand.

There is now, and the former CEO of Molycorp invested substantially and then took the reigns of the company mining this resource.

Did I mention there are just two other major mines in the world? Brazil and Canada.

There are tariffs on both.

This mine is in Elk Creek, NE.

I think it will work out better than some SPY.

The CEO of Molycorp who bailed after an SEC investigation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-11/molycorp-appoints-karayannopoulos-as-ceo-after-mark-smith-exits.html

Also:

http://tanb.org/niobium posted:

The primary mineral from which niobium is obtained is known as pyrochlore. The world's largest deposit is located in Araxá, Brazil and is owned by Companhia Brasileira de Metalurgia e Mineração (CBMM). The reserves are enough to supply current world demand for about 500 years, about 460 million tonnes. The mining of weathered ore, running between 2.5 and 3.0% Nb2O5, is conducted by simple open pit mining without the need for drilling and explosives.

Another pyrochlore mine in Brazil is owned and operated by Anglo American Nióbio Brasil and contains 18 million tonnes, based on a grade of 1.34% niobium oxide. The third major deposit of pyrochlore being actively mined is the Niobec Mine in Quebec, Canada, owned by IAMGOLD Corp, with measured and indicated resources of 2.6 million tonnes, based on a grade of 0.41% Nb2O5.

NIOBF says their deposit is 0.67 - 0.62% grade, so while it may be the best deposit in North America, it's still a crap deposit. It'll also require underground mining instead of open pit, and CBMM controls 85% of the global supply and can set the price to whatever they want. This venture is doomed and you should find some unknown stock to pump & dump yourself instead of being a sucker.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm not in a position to trade individual stocks but I'm really interested in amazon's breaking out their cloud services numbers. Backend infrastructure to all these new startups seems like the great tollbooth opportunity for the post-pc era and they've got the capital, scale, and leadership to dominate that space.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

neonbregna posted:

Have they settled that arsenic lawsuit thing or is that still hanging out there?

DoJ opened a criminal case and they've been subpoenaed by the SEC.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

No, don't.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Anecdotal datapoints on autodesk from my manufacturing & autocad instructor perspective: Inventor is a brilliant product but big industry is already locked in to earlier packages such as ProE/Creo and CATIA due to decades of legacy files. AutoCAD itself and 2d in general is on the way out but it's going to take a long time to transition, again for legacy concerns. Everything it does can be done faster & easier in inventor or solidworks and then the shapefile can go to manufacturing, the same model can be used for marketing brochures and videos, etc. 2d cad is as dead as pen and paper long term. That's only a slice of their product portfolio, I can't speak to the game content creation & motion picture tools.

Anyway I don't see much potential for growth in manufacturing for them with existing companies. Their licenses are going to be driven by manufacturing startups.

Revit seems like the most potentially sector disrupting thingnon their lineup, dunno what kind of inroads its making to architecture construction but unifying all of that workflow and doc management between design-build-maintain would be huge if widely adopted. That's what I'd look into, is revit becoming a must have solution?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 7, 2015

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's pretty much, whatever Ford or GM or Boeing or Airbus use, you as a parts supplier will also adopt or you don't exist. The auto industry makes Wal-Mart's supplier relationship strategy look like an episode of Barney and Friends.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Sure. And yet, provably, having operators at the front of autonomous trains occasionally saves some lives, because automated systems occasionally fail.

The key thing is to turn the humans into the backups for the automated systems, rather than the current arrangement where it's the other way around. This is also how large commercial aircraft work. Planes are way beyond cars in terms of highly-sophisticated automated systems, and yet, we still pay pilots a lot of money, for good reason.

First they came for the flight engineers, then the navigators, now some regional pilots start around $20k/yr. Check out the aviation thread in A/T if you want to know more but the aviation labor market is hilariously hosed up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I love some of the terminology so much, though. "Iron Condor" is just cool as gently caress. Like if you're yakking about stocks with someone you can just casually drop that you "just made a bundle on an Iron Condor I opened up on T" and you sound like a total market badass (or maybe a cock, I dunno).

I will never forget the day I discovered contango and backwardation were real words.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The history of computing hardware is every established player getting wiped out en masse every 10 or 15 years because they missed the shift to the next class of smaller, more capable device. As went Sperry and Cray and Data General and SGI so now are bleeding HP and Dell. The question is whether anything will displace the smartphone/tablet form factor and if so, what and who?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hahahahahahahahaha the etrade portfolio full of pink sheet pharmas Martin Shkreli posted as bail is down 89% and the judge wants more money.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 4, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Buy and store a shitload of commodity ammuniton, you'll be selling into a ban panic or bartering in a lunar hellscape either way. At the peak of the Barackalypse even .22 was selling out as soon as it hit the shelf.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I would kill someone for a Cook-Out IPO.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Agronox posted:

Where would you go to find a good deal like that? And are we talking stuff like hunting rifles or just more glamorous pistols and the like?

facebook

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

Halt.

Do you really wish to discuss, in a rather public format, which stocks, bonds and investment revenue you would invest in, should a certain candidate win?

If the answer is, "Yes I want to discuss it", Then I will gently caress off so fast it'll make your head spin.

Allahu Akbar

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I had several friends that worked at Wachovia and this poo poo started as soon as WF took over. The problem wasn't bonus seeking, it wasn't a comission sales force run amok, it was that WF policy was that all of their front line $9/hr tellers had to generate 100 new loans or accounts every single quarter or they were goddamned fired, no questions asked.

And if someone walked up to your window off the street and said they wanted to open an account, it didn't count towards your stats.

There were no incentives, NOBODY benefited from this, it was what the bottom level retail tellers had to do just to survive.

Burn it all to the ground.

There's no grand conspiracy, no scam from the top, only a management team with such a tenuous grasp on human nature they were stupid enough to think thousands of people would't make individual decisions to commit fraud when pushed so hard they were left without alternatives.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 17, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Re indoor legal grow operations, skylights / greenhouses will be an option if you don't have to hide what you're doing from helicopters. Artificial light will only have to make up the difference from optimal vs natural light, not provide 100%

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three phase you lost me when you implied a cable company cares if its product works

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh my god you just found the startup tech company idea I've been waiting for my entire life

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm trying to really think this through: There has to be some way that index funds are going to gently caress everything up once they account for a big enough chunk of the market, simply by being that big a chunk of the market. What is it? A vast pool of rule-based predictable money being manipulated by the relative handful of active traders? The correlation of every s&p 500 stock approaching 1 as all trades result from fund flow? The relative market cap of every S&P 500 stock being fixed forever once all of it belongs to VFINX?

There's gotta be something

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A Disney with the exclusive rights to license Marvel and Star Wars merch to idiot techbro millionaire manbabies is the safest bet this side of publicly traded cocaine,who even cares about Mickey/Back Catalog/Pixar at this point

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 9, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

As someone who has taught Sharpe ratios to business students, I really hope it's not actually used in industry.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

When I visited my parents over Christmas my dad and I spent some time watching both Nvidia's promotional videos and their Physx Flex demonstrations.

What's interesting is that Nvidia isn't quite the next Intel - they are sort of the next Intel and Cray Research combined. Crays weren't just huge computers - they operated differently than regular computers of their time doing things like vector-based processing to streamline certain math operations on huge datasets.

However back in the 80s and 90s Cray supercomputers that did cutting-edge research across tons of fields were phenomenally expensive I think these performance computing systems from Nvidia cost in the five-figure range.

Also I want to dig deeper and see what tools they are developing for both their gaming markets (like libraries and documentation for both game developers and people making deep learning and AI applications.) I want to see more examples of actual solutions made by third parties using Nvidia's systems.

Fun fact: The Cray X-MP was roughly equivalent to an iPhone 3G

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

What's the new Beanie Babies?

I think it might be high end sneakers, but I'm open to hearing the other ridiculous poo poo people have suddenly decided is valuable

Nah there was a good article somewhere a while back with world-leading basketball shoe collectors in tears because the synthetic materials degrade into a pile of dust and goo after ~30 years even if they're stored perfectly.

Factory automation maintenance spares would be my bet. Up until sometime in the 90s specialty equipment was, at the component level, made out of standard common parts that are still readily available in new production today. The transition to SMD, ASIC, and FPGA technologies have made any kind of custom or short run electronics nigh unrepairable and a manufacturing company losing $50k an hour because one machine is down does not ask questions about price when they want random circuit board xyz with an exact part number match hand couriered here on the first flight you can charter.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 12, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Here it is: https://www.wired.com/2015/05/sneakers/

E: doh

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

So what type of parts should I buy and leave in storage?

Circuit board modules that are super specific to the application. Say you picked up some kind of CNC machine as scrap, first priority would be anything in the control cabinet bearing the name of the company that made the machine instead of a company that made electronics.

Anything with a manufacturer that went out of business

Stuff with firmware. A microchip in any kind of socket that has a paper label stuck on most likely carries some sort of software that will be impossible to replace after enough time even if the company is still open and the individual guy who wrote it still works there

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Paul Proteus posted:

I can definitely attest to the latter part of this quote. I ran the purchasing and spare parts department for a medium sized automation company and I can't tell you how many times I had parts couriered to end users. Even with providing them recommended spare parts lists, consignment inventories, etc. they still would often run out due to miss-management. This wasn't with companies using a machine or two either, but large multinationals with a large quantity of machines. My overall margin on spare parts was over 65% gross, while some products (especially the price protected ones for specialized tech pieces; think sensors from SICK GMBH) were over a 300% markup. All of this and they would gladly expedite anything if it meant keeping the line up.

Oh god maintenance guys spazzing out about P/N matching sensors especially drives me nuts. Our spares dept stocks something like four dozen different models of M12 inductive prox sensors without understanding almost nothing matters except the range spec. Yeah it has 3 pins, normally open, takes 24v? It'll work dude.

Back on topic, this is analogous to finding someone not just willing but demanding to pay a 500% premium for FUSEX over VFINX

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 13, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

Already touched on but anything by a manufacturer that's out of business, or anything that's discontinued. Sometimes it's because a company got bought out and the new company decides to discontinue, sometimes even a popular part can be unprofitable so they just discontinue it. Sometimes a popular part gets used for so long that the underlying process is discontinued. Companies are alerted to all of this for high rel parts by the way, but companies are stupid and don't listen to their parts engineers screaming to make "life time" buys. And sometimes lifetime buys don't last, well, a life time.

And sometimes they scrap half a million dollars of NIB robot parts the week before christmas because inventory taxes. (Not bitter)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My gut instincts say that whatever rationale I use to pick my lottery numbers will be duplicated by others and the random computer pick, while not likelier to win, is much likelier to be unique, avoid splitting the pot, and have a higher EV. Is there a dataset of purchased powerball numbers that can prove my hypothesis that 1-12 are massively oversampled and 13 - 31 somewhat less so?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So the atomic holocaust hedge is long PPG and GLW?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SAFM

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Factory automation is what I do, Siemens product is absolutely ubiquitous but they've got their fingers in so many pies I don't know if a boom there would really move the bottom line. They're basically the ex-US version of GE.

Festo is absolutely dominant in pneumatic components and doesn't really do anything else, plus cylinders and actuators and all that poo poo are basically consumables, they get replaced at the first hint of trouble because compressed air leaks are ruinously expensive. They'd be my pick for a manufacturing automation pure play.

Also worth looking into are sensors and all the "glue" things like cable and connectors and terminal blocks and control cabinets and cooling. Brands to investigate:

Phoenix Contact
Harting
Turck
Keyence
Omron
Balluff
Banner
IFM
Murrelektronik
Rittal
Stäubli
KUKA
ABB
Bosch-Rexroth

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

20 years ago, a 20 year old car was guaranteed to be a steaming pile of poo poo. Today, a 20 year old car is probably fine and doesn't even look that different.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

sa told me to invest in halberd futures weeks ago and i didnt listen

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The problem with this is that it depends on the net metering regulations of a jurisdiction. An element of solar that everyone seems to forget is that the the majority of solar production within an interconnect is not actually assumed as available capacity. Solar acts as a highly variable peak shaving source and the associated utilities still need to provide baseline production to back it up if it fails. This means that the utility needs to run their coal boilers like they usually would, but not sell the kWh if the connected solar is producing. That obviously reduces their margins as they are running their factories but not selling any goods. Cheap natural gas helps with this a little bit, as those plants are easy to start up, but only so much. Likewise, distributed solar generation causes havoc with transmission. Power flows used to go top down in predicable ways. If you add distributed solar generation to the grid, you have power flowing every which way in a random pattern dependent on weather conditions. This is extremely hard to manage and requires significant and expensive investment into existing transmission schemes to implement. Finally, retail solar inverters generally don't provide kVAR to the grid. This means that every sub-unity load connected to the grid needs to be partially served from the utility's generators. Since individual meters measure real power and not apparent power, all those additional amps and their losses are provided for free from the utility while distributed solar sucks dry the billable kW.

Utilities only like solar when they are the ones producing it on a large, concentrated scale. Unfortunately, this is becoming less and less common due to utility deregulation and laws mandating net metering of small solar installations. In these cases, the utilities get stuck holding the investment costs of making sure the entire grid doesn't collapse while smaller producers reap the billable kWh that used to pay for such improvements.

This will be changing when the next version of the interconnect requirements come out and mandate modern inverters. IEEE looked at the newer tech and found that distributed solar with smarter inverters would actually be a huge help for grid power factor correction.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cheesemaster I'll be looking for more to read on the issue and I'm glad you brought it up because it's an angle I hadn't even considered. Reactive power is a very real imaginary thing.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Agronox posted:

There's a sort of dark comedy in reading this thread and it's predecessor from times gone by.

I remember a guy who was "investing" his dad's minor fortune in 2007, mostly in commodity producers. Then he mysteriously disappeared.

I wonder how he's doing.

Over the long span of BFC this thread is pretty light on e/n style schadenfreude.

GET A DIVORCE ZUARG.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Consumer staples: THS
Healthcare: BAX
Real Estate: MCD