Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm finding myself wanting lighter cars after driving a few tin cans. If I get round to it I'm thinking a Caterham or knock off would be my ideal.

namaste

http://szott.com/zot2/images/BEC10s.jpg

http://szott.com/zot2/page9.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

morothar posted:

I think the closest you’ll will get to that idea is represented by the smaller Lexus lineup - basically the upscale analogues of the Prius/Corolla.

The only reason these exist is to cater to folks that want reliability + ‘luxury’

A little off topic, but I am hard shopping to replace a 4runner I want to sell. My wife and I have been thinking of getting a new car with a warranty. We have been looking at the new corolla hatchback SE w/ manual. I've gotta say the corolla's interior has come a long way. It's nice. With the given features, style, design, finish, and only ~$20k-21K out the door, it has impressed me.

https://www.toyota.com/corollahatchback/photo-gallery/interior

no lube so what fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 18, 2021

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Russian Bear posted:

I saw one parked in my neighborhood the other day and I really like the styling. They nailed the fun sporty exterior. I'd cross shop the mazda 3 manual if I were you as well, it'll be more expensive but you'll get a much nicer interior.

We are cross shopping the Mazda and civic hatch.

The Corolla hatch does have small storage, and cramped rear seating for adults. Probably the two biggest downsides.

It's weird because I would have never guessed I would have so many Toyotas a decade ago. We have an 07 4runner that we want to sell, a 2004 Prius, and the mr2. We would still have the Prius which has surprising cargo space. For our current activities, like camping at state parts for a handful of days, taking the dog to the park, or whatever short of moving, it works perfect. We end up taking in more than the 4runner. The Prius is a dope rear end car for what it is.

Plan to drive the Prius into the ground or until the battery dies/CAT theft happens* and it just make sense. Then see what's out there, probably a van of some sort.

One thing the corolla has is the intelligent manual or whatever they call it. rev matches shifts to smooth it out, keeps cruising speed while changing gears, electric parking brake automatically release when shifted into gear and hill hold. It's part of the reason she is considering the manual. She drove a manual for the first 5 years she had her licenses. She will do fine, but it is something she likes as a confidence booster.

no lube so what fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 18, 2021

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Civic is a better car overall. You might wanna test drive the Corolla with the manual....It's gutless.

At least the Civic is gonna have some sort of power band, the Corolla has none. Not sure about the cargo space of the Civic hatch (I drove the sedan) but it has to be better than the corolla because that's just unacceptable to me for a hatch to be that useless.

That's all good thoughts. Thank you. At the end of the day, it will be my wife's decision. It's the reliable car she needs for the next 10 years.

Because of the inventory delays, a lot of these small cars aren't getting off boats until mid June. The plan is to lock in prices with refundable first right of refusals, and already have our outside financing secured. Then see what incentives are offered when the paperwork would be able to be completed. Test drive them all back to back. See what financing options they offer.

So far we put down a refundable $500 for right of first refusal on a corolla hatch spec'd how the wife wants for $21.3k out the door. It would get in late June. We are hitting up Mazda and Honda next. See what Memorial Day holds. Get rid of 4runner in the mean time.

Then make a choice.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
The supply is hosed.

We are using it as a way to get the exact car we want on the lot to test drive with a known max cost going in.

It's a call option that only costs an hour of emails and short drive. Worst comes to worst we get our money back. and burned an afternoon of time.

mock, but what would you do if looking new?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

I probably would have been all over the base Civic hatch if it had the K series in it, but I avoided it because of the turbo motor issues. Maybe it would have been fine I don't know, but i didn't want to deal with any bullshit on a brand new car.

The sedan was great but was a big compromise for me not to have a hatch and spend that much money. I use the poo poo out of the cargo area of my xB now, so it's a good thing i didn't get the sedan. If the Civic hatch was NA it would probably be in my driveway right now.

what did you end up getting?

Like you, I'd prefer NA for a new car. Part of the corolla with manual is that it will probably be very reliable. I've got a fun car. The used market is what's driving the idea to sell the 4runner and get a fuel efficient & reliable econobox with a warranty. Sellers market.

We have a lot more due diligence to do in the coming weeks.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
The 2.0 6mt Corolla hatch is a good and fun car. Its engaging and you can flog it without risking negligent driver charges.

We have 3k mike on a 2021 SE we picked up in July. For 20k out the door, i’ve Been really happy with the car. Sorta like a 90s level luxury interior/ ride quality, good suspension/handling, engine is fine enough, shifts feel nice, imt is cool.

After the warranty it will transition from my wife’s commuter to my dumb car, my plan is to get some nice dampeners/stiffen it up a little, add long runner header/exhaust/, sticky tires and drive the piss out of it.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
The Camry and Rav4 have shared the same TNGA platform for the last few years. That handling gap might be even smaller nowadays.

I have no idea about the current Camry/Rav4, but the new Corolla hatch has good handling. It's hard not to go full talking head fan boy because I have really enjoyed mine.

My hot take is that the new TNGA platforms might not all be poo poo for handling

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Throatwarbler posted:

Some (all?) of the modern M cars limit the redline until the engine temperature rises to an appropriate level, specifically for people like this guy I guess.

the 2zzge is that way. won't let you go into lift/ cut you off at 7k unless there is sufficient oil temperature and oil pressure. then you get to go to 8.4k

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
my guess is 180 days to get paid

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Charles posted:

I liked those. I don't remember if they're actually good cars or not though.

Bring back the Mercury Capri / Cougar

my dad has two, they're fine

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

IIRC think they sold like poo poo but it's still a good idea. Most of the performance of the Corvette without the garbage interior or wobbly body parts for the more refined public.

nah, still kinda garbage interior

it's gm

PBCrunch posted:

This is GM we're talking about. You know the Corv-illac interior was a little different but equally lovely. I've seen some videos about working on these cars and some pretty mundane stuff gets very expensive in a hurry because of the rarity and the transmission-in-the-back layout.

this, head lights, magnetic suspension, drop top, etc etc

higher maintenance costs, all the gm goodness

my old man has a silver one with ~150k miles on it and a black one with ~45k.

The black one just got bumped in the parking lot and finding a new bumper has been a helluva thing

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

bull3964 posted:

The reason for the CVT only on the upper trims is Subaru thinks that they need to push eyesight at every opportunity and has made no moves to make it work with a manual transmission even though companies like VW have adaptive cruise with manuals and there's no reason at all why lane keeping should be an automatic transmission only feature.

So, they either have to price the MT premium option too high for all the safety features they cut out or they have to create a bigger delta between the MT and CVT models which means there would be even less uptake of the CVT.

That would be a pretty big cop out

Toyota has those safety features on the $20k 6mt Corolla, and Toyota is their #1 share holder.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

bull3964 posted:

Subaru isn't using Toyota's systems though. They have their own homegrown system using just cameras and it's a big part of their safety identity.

Rats, objectively wrong again

The more you know :)

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

KakerMix posted:

Here is a review: the car I bought is the best, the others I didn't aren't as good

Don’t steal my posts :(

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

big trivia FAIL posted:

it came in today

it is no frills, few creature comforts, awesome

hell yeah, that's the exact one I'd get

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Those tuning fork wheels on the 86 are really making me wish Toyota put a high revving Yamaha in there.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Laserface posted:

They're making me wish they put any other set of wheels on it. look like some tyre shop pot metal specials.

nah, they're fine, maybe even good

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Godzilla07 posted:

I have good news about new Hondas

the se corolla has a pretty sweet interior for luddites

The electric ebrake is dumb.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

ilkhan posted:

My stepson mentioned wanting a 6M toyoburu yesterday. Never driven a stick in his life... Nor has he been in one afaik. Nor is it at all practical where we live. Yay video games?

Corolla hatchback 6mt

It’s a good chassis, p/w ~na miata and has rev matching downshift in IMT mode. Also has hill hold. Have him find one on a lot to test drive. Before jumping into a twin. Very forgiving car to drive stick with. Would be great as a first intro to manual.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
You all need to check out the loving Corolla hatchback in SE trim

-20k freedom bux out the door
-6mt
-5.1” clearance
-16” wheels
-not a cuv/suv
-analog gauges
-physical buttons
- p/w of na Miata so you can just rip it all the time
-Chassis is good/has good agility
-NA

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

bull3964 posted:

Ducks on autotrader really quick....

Here's one for $32k.

Cool. Cool cool cool.

Lmbo, that’s stupid wild.

Find the local old scion dealer turned Toyota dealer and order one at msrp and hope there is a factory rebate going on the month it arrives :shrug:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

BlackMK4 posted:

scion tc is basically a celica

Details of the corolla gr are out a day early thanks to google ads

300hp
F/r torsen
6 speed
Circuit tunes suspension

no lube so what fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 31, 2022

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
https://staging.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/grcorolla/

It looks good

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Partial Octopus posted:

So much for putting a hitch on this thing for track tires and bike racks.

Stick the middle tube out one of the hood vents, problem solved

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Earning yield is p cool cause it’s the same lingo as the risk free

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Idk, I’m kinda thinking a base manual supra would be sweet. Normal struts/springs, all the weight savings is from loping off first two cylinders and pushing the weight balance between the axels, 3100lbs, 250hp/295ft lb

2022 msrp for base is ~44k

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

BraveUlysses posted:

New brz/86 is coming in at 215whp and 250 less pounds. Yeah it loses out on torque but can't have it all.

Yeah, and you can throw the dog in the back seat. I'm still drooling for one. I think the gr corolla is my plan but I'd love any of them.

Your car looks dope as hell. The other dude with the gr86 in Trueno Blue looks dope as hell.

Toyota is putting out cool cars.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got a new game: what cars for sale in the US market will burn more gas than their MSRP during the first 100,000 miles at $5 a gallon? What about $6?

I think there may not be many yet, car prices are up so much too.

3,300 gallon at ~30mpg, 4,000 at 25mpg, 5,000 at 20, 6,600 at ~15mpg

$5, 16.5k, 20k, 25k, 33k
$7, 23k, 28k, 35k, 46k
$10, 33k, 40k, 50k, 66k

So after ~$7-8, most non luxury

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

The base corolla hatch is faster and costs half as much lol

What a shame

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
GR corolla pricing is out

Core 37k

Circuit 44k

Morizo 51k

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

FBS posted:

:hmmyes: this is the way. Unfortunately I feel this setup will be relegated to the luxury segments as it would cost an extra twenty dollars per unit.

Base corolla hatchback has analog speedo/tach and very much superior to the gr corolla

https://cars.usnews.com/static/images/Auto/izmo/i159614041/2021_toyota_corolla_instrumentcluster.jpg

Gr should’ve just flipped the tach and speedometer

no lube so what fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 17, 2022

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

The manual base Corolla has rev-matching, right? I remember reading it was a pretty great stick shift.

It is, and it’s great. Recently got a gr and it’s more wicked cool, but the e210 se w/ manual is a fun car. Both transmissions are great, notchy/mechanical feeling, good throws, good weight

The base has a tiny amount of rev hang, nothing in gr

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Yeah but the problem is the engine. No powerband whatsoever and slow as poo poo, I was thoroughly disappointed when I test drove one.

Yeah, 160hp/3200lb isn’t good. Na Miata type power/weight. If you’d take it towards redline, It was fun. The power kinda boiled and was fine from 4.5-redline.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

The new Prius looks great, the GR86 is pretty good, maybe Toyota is finally turning it around?

Lc500, gr corolla

In yool 2023, they are exceptional

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

bird with big dick posted:

The Spyder was a turd even for back then though.

Wrong

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

bird with big dick posted:

The 1ZZ sucked poo poo and it should have gotten the 2ZZ. Hell, the car would have been better with the 20 year old 4A-GZE in it.

wrong, right, wrong

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Who the gently caress plays ferrrari/porsche games with toyota? Lmbo, gently caress that noise

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
I’m hella smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
It’s as good as any

https://twitter.com/BoziTatarevic/status/1668064115573547009/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1668064115573547009&currentTweetUser=BoziTatarevic