Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Guys I have a confession to make. I haven't driven a car regularly since high school, didn't have one in college, haven't had one in med school, and probably won't have one in residency. I'll probably buy my first car when I'm 30, 31. Am I still allowed to hang out here? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Add me to the list of people that thing the new 911 is downright gorgeous. I've wanted one since 1996 when I was 10, and I think when 2017 rolls around I'll finally be able to pick one of these up (used). :)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No.

Jalopnik can be less terrible but there's always a whole lot of whining about too heavy not diesel sport rwd wagon abloo abloo.

On the bright side, for whatever reason the proportion of :argh:Obama:argh: commentators on jalopnik is lower over the past year. Or maybe I just stopped noticing them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Keyser S0ze posted:

IMHO, FWD only works if the car is relatively powerless. I can attest to hating driving the Maxima/Acura TL FWD beasts of a few years ago. My father had a Maxima and you had to wrestle the fucker to get it to corner at all and I'm not talking about taking the Laguna Seca corkscrew in anger but pulling out of a Safeway parking lot.

How fast are you pulling out of a Safeway parking lot? :crossarms:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Gotta say I love the new GTI although I'm curious what changes will be made to bring it downmarket for us here in the US. I'll shamelessly channel Clarkson and add that the GTI really is the perfect car for everyday use. I can't think of any other car that strikes as good of a balance between being fun to drive, practical, and comfortable (especially with the Autobahn/leather package) all while being understated. Admittedly I'm a bit biased since I have a Mk6 GTI, but whenever I feel a bit jealous of the Focus ST for being a better handler or the MS3 for being a bit faster I come back to the GTI satisfied that none of its competitors do as good of a job of minimizing compromises in other areas.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was going to post my whole thing about VW's NA strategy YET AGAIN but I am lazy and so I'll just say that VW will absolutely not be decontenting the next gen Golf or GTI for the US market in the same way they decontented the Jetta.

I dunno, they definitely "decontented" the current MK6, previous MK5s, etc. I can definitely see things like LED tails getting omitted again.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

My mk6 Golfs cupholders don't hold my 52oz iced teas from Quik Trip all that well but they're passable. My focus didn't deal with them very well either.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. :negative:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
To step it back to electric car chat for a second: I see a ton of Nissan Leafs around Madison, WI. They seem to be pretty popular in a city where it's pretty reasonable to rationalize one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
That looks amazing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I think it looks friggin' amazing, however the PDK-only kind of spoils it for me. Here's hoping that there's a Cayman GT3/RS with a manual transmission. :sigh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The 991 GT3 Cup keeps the Mezger engine while the base GT3 has a modified DFI engine. That says a lot right there.

I'm super excited for the car but Andreas Preuninger almost seemed to be apologizing for some of the technology that found its way into the 991 GT3. Porsche's site has the car at $130k base though, that's about $20k lower than I was expecting. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on 997.1 GT3 prices this summer.

In fairness, he does mention that the DFI engine is likely to make it in to the Cup car. Either way, even though his spiel is pretty convincing (I'm sure he did pretty well with the German ladies :v:), I'm still not completely sold on it all as a package. I guess we'll see if these changes make it up to the GT3 RS/Cup Car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It's not so much the Mezger specifically but the fact that the road-going GT3 had a direct lineage to their motorsport program. Most owners that track their GT3s appreciate the fact that it's same family of engine that is used in Porsche's competitive motorsport program. I don't give a poo poo who makes the engine or where it came from in my track car, I want to know that it's going to hold up on the track.

That's not to say the 9A1 won't hold up well with all those special parts, it's that no one really knows. The first GT3 that came to the states had a well-established history in motorsport up to that point. Teams spent hundreds of hours torturing the engines and its weak points were identified long before it was used in a production car. That can't be said for this round of the GT3.

Are we at the point yet where we admit to ourselves that the 991 GT3 is just another sign that Porsche is moving away towards making street cars that are meant to be driven on the track?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

grover posted:

Counterpoint: Boxster Spyder and Cayman R. The 911 chassis is being ever so incrementally turned into more of a european touring car and less of a pure sports car. 991 GT3 should really be 981 GT3. Everyone else realizes it, why doesn't Porsche?

Definitely, and these may be what I ultimately end up picking up. The part of me that's wanted a 911 since I was 12 keeps on playing into Porsche's marketing strategy though. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

anonumos posted:

I like the Panamera. :gay:

What is wrong with us. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cream_Filling posted:

Electrics really haven't evolved much at all, though. And they've been worked on in giant corporate labs for decades. The biggest change these days has been in financing and subsidies, and even then electric cars are still really expensive and likely to stay that way for a very long time so long as battery technology develops at its current extremely slow pace.

Basically none of the major barriers to the widespread adoption of electric cars have actually been solved and they probably won't be anytime soon.

I dunno, the fact that I regularly see electric cars driving around now as opposed to even 2 years ago has to count for something.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Midniter posted:

So they admit the Stingray handles better, is marginally slower in a straight line, and has a much improved interior, albeit not nearly as nice as the 911 with its superior German adhesives that don't smell like chemicals (seriously).

It's also half the cost of the 911. Yet they award the victory to the 911. Man, the "Gotta Have It" factor of that pussy magnet must be off the charts.

To be fair, I feel most people would also rather have the 911.

Definitely wins the price/performance battle though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ziploc posted:

Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.1 sec

Why is this? Terrible throttle response?

:confused: This the case for every car, and it's because you don't dump the clutch to go from 5-60mph.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 2, 2013

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Now that looks pretty good.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You'd think GM could kick in a few extra bucks to design a better looking steering wheel.

I'm sure it's going to be pretty quick though. :getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The MK6 Golf/GTI was still made in Germany and comparatively high quality.

Count me among the happy Mk6 GTI owners. It really does offer the perfect balance between practicality, sportiness, and comfort. At least for me, deciding between it and the other sports hatchbacks on the market was a no-brainer.

I get the impression that VW's reputation is falling even among non-enthusiasts. My dad is looking to replace his old 1999 Passat and asked me if the quality tumors about the new model were true.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a German VW that isn't a piece of poo poo and that I'm happy with. What does this make me? :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Linedance posted:

All this talk about urban planning and commuting distance and all that is really just a red herring. The stats show (at least in the UK) simular average annual mileages to North America. The difference is people do those mileages in small displacement diesels and petrol engines cars. Why? Cost of fuel and tax. My friend commutes from Swindon to Heathrow in a one liter Citroën C1. That's about 70-80 miles down the m4 at anywhere between 70 and 90mph in good traffic. There's nothing preventing a small car doing long distance and higher speeds except the driver being intimidated by all the huge trucks around them (this is a real thing for a lot of people).

Exactly. US drivers don't drive significantly more than many drivers in other parts of the world and people insinuating that the average person is commuting 50 miles each way over vast expanses are kidding themselves. People in the UK commute similar distances on similar roads. The only difference is fuel and taxes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
FYI the leather seats in the gti own bones.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

Those guys get on my loving nerves because they're so unrealistic. Yes the Chevy SS will be a great used car pickup in a couple years, I expect them to depreciate like a rock, the problem is someone has to buy them NEW for them to be available used 3 to 5 years later. Car manufacturers don't care about the used market, they want to sell these things new. If no one buys them, they'll stop making them.

What are used G8 GXP's selling for these days?

This comment is spot on. It's an endless cycle of complaining about no good cars being made, an auto manufacturer listening and then selling all of 2000, which will be priced out of their range until they're on their last legs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BraveUlysses posted:

Brz/ft86 will be hitting low 20's soon for 2-3 year old car that meets your criteria. I want one but they won't be a good buy until the used market goes a bit lower imo.

This is a pretty good joke. Nice job.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KozmoNaut posted:

There's nothing compromised about diesel for ordinary driving, in fact the extra low-down grunt makes fast-ish smooth highway driving effortless, overtaking maneuvers in particular.

Is it unsuited for auto-X and trackdays? Absolutely, but that's not where we spend most of our driving time, not even die-hard enthusiasts.

fknlo posted:

Yeah, except my Golf is way more fun to drive than any of the gas equivalents I test drove.

The tdi we get here is in no way representative of a standard "diesel hatchback" in Europe.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KozmoNaut posted:

Well yeah, it's 140hp, where a lot of Euro diesels in the same segment hover somewhere around 90-120hp, but there are also plenty of diesels in the 140-180hp segment driving around here.

Still, I drove a rental Citroën DS4 with the 110hp 1.6 diesel around Scotland for a week, and it had adequate power for overtaking, while still getting around 4.5L/100km (~52mpg). It never felt underpowered, not much slower than my own car, which has 50hp more.

And my old car only had 70hp from a 1.3 diesel, but it never really felt underpowered when staying within the speed limits. Still had enough get-up-and-go for motorway overtaking.

Believe me dude, I've spent a fair amount of time in European hatchbacks and understand where you're coming from. The average poster here dreaming about hot european diesel hatchbacks would call a 70hp 1.3 diesel dangerously underpowered and unsafe.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh my god, Porsche's doing it. Cayman GT4 is coming per jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/porsche-cayman-gt4-will-be-the-mid-engined-911-ruiner-y-1573124619

If this thing is available in 2017 with a stick I think my dream of thinking about it briefly and then saving 50k might come true.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 8, 2014

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
One of my coworkers just bought a new Lexus GS350. It's been a while since I've sat in a Lexus, but is it just me or is the interior quality miles ahead of the 5-series?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Throatwarbler posted:

There is no reason whatsoever. I did a big long effort post in the BFC forum showing how leasing is always better than buying.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&userid=143660#post368677717

I think this and skipdogg's post are some of the most useful in AI and I've had them bookmarked for whenever people ask me about leasing. Thanks guys.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

InitialDave posted:

Eh, people make some strange decisions. I have no idea how VW sell Golf GTis, let alone Golf Rs over here - once you option leather on a GTi, you can get a BMW M135i for only £2k more. Better in every way, better image, a lot more power, and that power is sent to the correct wheels.

Who the hell goes looking for something with performance and a decent image, then buys a 220bhp FWD budget-brand over a 320bhp RWD premium brand?

I bought my 2010 GTI in 2012 for $17k (deal of the century). It has a fantastic leather, almost Audi-like interior, i was able to fit a full dresser in it with the seats down/hatch closed, it has 265hp/300 torque with a tune, and it draws less attention than a BMW. What's not to like?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

travisray2004 posted:

How many miles on it? I'm starting to look at a new(er) car and I love the GTI but it's hard to justify buying one over either of the STs, especially when you start adding bullshit packages. I just want a bare bones GTI with a moonroof.

I bought it with 35k miles in June of 2012 and have 45k on it now. The GTI isn't the best at anything (except maybe the interior) but it's great at everything.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Devyl posted:

Assuming we're still talking about luxury sedans/coupes here, this is a small percentage of why people buy BMWs or Lexuses or Audis. People will pay a premium for the attention those higher-priced brands bring.

That doesn't make it any less gauche.

I don't need any extra attention at work/out.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 8, 2014

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

The original pussy shrapnel dude was bragging about his IS-F at the time. It's from 2012 and i don't have have archives so i can't dig it up though.

I'm really just taking the piss out of Residency Evil because he has to work so hard to convince himself he doesn't really want a BMW.

It's not like I didn't look at the 1-series when I was buying my car, but I found a fantastic price on the GTI and from a practical standpoint the hatchback is loads better than a comparable 1-series. The Ultimate Driving Experience doesn't mean much when you're commuting to and from work in traffic.

Besides, Automotive Insanity › This is a BMW Thread. The 3 Series is only for poors who can't afford a REAL BMW.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 8, 2014

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

InitialDave posted:

I don't think we're talking about the same cars then. I should have realised.

You were thinking of the 1-series 2-door, which is now replaced by the 2-series, and I agree, it wasn't going to win any beauty contests. I am talking about the 1-series 3-door, which I didn't realise until now wasn't available in the US. Still not the prettiest car, but they look much better in the metal than in pictures. Point is, it really is directly comparable to other high-end hot hatches, because that's what it is. A (relatively) small hatch with a nice big engine in it.

Yeah, unfortunately we don't get the hatchback 1-series here in the US.

Powershift posted:

That thread title only exists because i was taking the piss out of hotcanadianchick, don't use it against me.

You used words like "gauche" and "attention" in a badge-whoring manner. Badge whoring to put down a brand is worse than badge whoring to put it on a pedestal. It comes across more as jealously and in this case frugality rather than a choice based on how much junk fits in the trunk.

Like people who wear a tag heuer and bitch about tryhards in their rolexes, and poors in their casios.

I thought I was just getting a good deal by buying a car worth $20k for 17k a few years back, but I guess you've caught how jealous I am and next time I'll pick up a used 1/3-series instead? :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

The 3 series really is for poors though. You'd be best off with a 5 series touring, or at the very least a 4 series gran coupe.

I'm just hoping I can hold off on knocking someone up for the next few years and get something far less practical 3 years from now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Augmented Dickey posted:

Looks great, but will it be stupid expensive like the higher-trim Mazda 3's?

I can't imagine that they would put all this tech into a sub-$22k car.

Probably yeah, and that's not a bad thing. You don't get interior quality like that under 22k.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Augmented Dickey posted:

So are they moving it upmarket to compete with the Mini Cooper? It's going to be a tough sell to convince mainstream American consumers to spend that much on a Mazda subcompact.

Yeah I'm going to be very pleasantly surprised if that's the exact interior we get and not a more downmarket version.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KozmoNaut posted:

I dunno if it was mentioned before, but Alfa have made the much cleaner-looking headlights from the Spider an option on the 4C, fixing pretty much the only thing wrong with it.

Oh god I see that lotus flower thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

HotCanadianChick posted:

This is a particularly dumb and narrow minded attitude for any motorsports enthusiast.

Particularly when for less than $5k you can buy a used bike that will keep up/blow by stuff like Ferraris handily.

In my case it's not the price but the risk. :sigh: