Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I feel awful for the FAs when they have to do the credit card spiel and then the walk of shame down the aisle with the applications. That’s not what they signed on for, but then some big brain in an office somewhere asked how they could get more people to sign up for cards and some rear end in a top hat just volunteered them for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Ah well then I retract my pity because I hate hearing it and it always manages to cut through my earphones even with the ANC on.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

There is no hell like CLT.

Despite the new wing of Concourse A, the airport simply wasn't built for having 12% of the population of the southeastern US shoved through it every day. The new construction projects for the ticketing lobby and arrivals area aren't going to fix that. And half the vendors are still closed so eating or drinking is impossible without three hours to wait. This problem was exacerbated this week when one of the food vendors in the atrium caught on drat fire.

At least there's a Centurion Lounge? 🤷

You and I have had markedly different experiences at CLT, but I guess the preponderance of my flights through there have been layovers so maybe I’m hitting the right time of day and don’t have to worry about security so it’s not so bad. I usually just hang out in A since there’s no one over there in the section past the Panera.

It is funny to me though how A-C are all new and modern and then you wander down to D and E and it’s just… woof. The regional jet area is probably one of the worst parts of an airport I’ve ever been in.

As far as good airport changes go, I like that they moved security at DCA so that everything is airside now. It gives you a lot more room to roam when waiting, and I’ve always thought that the main hall was gorgeous so getting to spend more time in it is a plus.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

So, if you limit the security screening down to a metal detector/body scan, bag xray, and some explosive sniffing, things would move through pretty quickly. No taking off shoes and taking crap out of bags and whatnot. Just make sure someone doesn't have a gun or a machete and move people through.

Yeah, I took the train a few times in Spain and it was “throw your bag through the scanner and then head to your gate”. I don’t even remember a metal detector. It’s not like they haven’t had an experience with terrorism on trains either.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Found out today that BWI still has some of the mobile lounges:

No clue what on earth they’re for since I’ve never seen them in use, but they were in international departures so maybe there’s something over there that needs them.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

You mean the life jackets aren’t free to take like the inflight magazines? :aaaaa:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LostCosmonaut posted:

Speaking of 727s, I read the NTSB report on TWA 841 today, and it looks like they were built pretty well back then.

(link to report; http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online-full-text/ntsb/aircraft-accident-reports/AAR81-08.pdf)

It’s always fun when you search Wikipedia for a flight disaster and get a disambiguation page.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I would simply stop the plane before the water’s edge

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

You’re supposed to put the baby in the overhead, hth

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Full Collapse posted:

I find the Dulles experience to be absolute misery. The mobile lounges should've stayed in the 1960s.

I've only gotten hosed with taxiing at O'Hare when getting held for gate clearance on international arrivals.

I don’t think that most flights through Dulles require someone to use the people movers. If you’re willing to walk I think that you can avoid them altogether, actually.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Midjack posted:

Kinda, though they cheaped out on the tram so it doesn't go to D concourse so it's the bus or walking from C. That airport loving sucks and I lust for its destruction.

Oh, I just walk it like Full Collapse does, but I’m usually about to be on a 4+ hour flight so I don’t mind getting to stretch my legs one last time.

DCA is the better DC-area airport anyway, so if Dulles disappeared I wouldn’t be too broken up about it.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

hannibal posted:

I've only used Dulles to fly to LA and Hawaii a few times and it was fine. I like parking in the garage that's walking distance from the terminal. Waiting on the daily parking bus at BWI sucks. I didn't even know you could avoid the trams though, I might have to try that (I don't mind walking around in airports, I'm usually pretty lightly packed)

ATL is an efficient airport though. I used to fly through there a lot when I was stationed in Germany and doing Frankfurt -> ATL -> home a few times a year. Never had any issues.

What do people think of Denver? Their newer security setup seems like a nightmare at times. I am also not a fan of off-site rental car places.

I don’t have any problems with DEN (and it’s my home airport and I fly out of it a lot) but I do have Precheck and Clear so I’m usually through security in under 5 minutes. Security lines can build up pretty deep at peak times but from what I understand they still go pretty quickly. The updates they’ve made to the B and C concourses are pretty nice.

I agree with offsite rentals but don’t have to deal with it since I’m parking there. It is nice that both garage and economy parking are within walking distance of the terminal.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Sure does feel like there have been more close calls than usual recently, but maybe I’m just paying more attention and this is par for the course.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Why can't I go on GovDeals and buy a warship? Huh?

It seems that one aggrieved South African ruined it for the rest of us

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Warbird posted:

American’s call to let you just up and get free wifi whips rear end. I’m shitposting at 35000 feet above the Gulf of Mexico.

Oh yeah well United gives me 2 dollars off for being a MileagePlus member :shepicide:

I get to put it on the corporate card though so whatever

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

God drat that’s rad as hell

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Is this better or worse than the bike seat concept from a couple of years ago?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

lol yeah that’s the one

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Pretty soon they’ll just thread a rod through your shirtsleeves and hang it on a hook from the ceiling

Spirit will use the hook too but the rod is a $20 upcharge

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Feel like there’s a pretty big difference between “lost a seat” and “lost a seat cushion” which is actually shown in the photo.

Though I guess there isn’t much functional difference between being yeeted from the plane outright and ragdolling against the fuselage for 20 minutes.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

loving Boeing!!! :argh:

I think that’s called a quality escape now

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

So didn’t United and Alaska both report that they had found other planes with loose bolts? Would that mean they had all been sent to Boeing for repair before or is there still a possibility of this being a problem during manufacturing?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It’s considered really bad if people don’t have a safe place to dispose of a lit cigarette, even if they should have never had a lit cigarette in the first place.

Yeah it’s one of those things that seems silly at first blush but then is much better than the alternative

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I don’t think that’s supposed to go there

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

BalloonFish posted:

Just ruminating on these two posts again (because I love the VC10 - I rate it as one of the best-looking aircraft ever made):

gently caress yes, this is exactly the sort of thing that has this thread in my bookmarks. Thanks for this post.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Go all the way with this concept: use the blades you're carrying as the cargo plane's wings, and detach them when you've landed at the wind farm.

(Getting the rest of the aircraft back to the factory for the next run is left as an exercise for the student.)

Much like ambulances on the way to the hospital, there’s no reason for them to leave once they’re there

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

this is worth the trip if you care to also experience the deep weirdness of the northernmost Bojangles franchise on the face of the earth. White gravy instead of brown, cranberry sauce instead of mac-n-cheese, and you gotta season your own cajun fries, they deliver them plain but have a huge shaker next to the fountain drink machine

:one:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Cook Out on Western Ave in Raleigh was god tier but I was also a drunk college student so that probably had more to do with it then any difference in food quality

Not the sort of food people would be happy for you to bring on an airplane though

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Boeing has selected a new CEO

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

That’ll buff out

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

The stance from the guy on the left is 100% a “I told them this was a bad idea” look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Goddamn that’s rad as hell