Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Speaking of noise, the loudest aircraft I've traveled on was the RJ-85.
I sat slightly behind the wing and take-off was so drat loud with heavy vibrations I had to plug my ears with my fingers, it was physically painful.
Screw that plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Flying tip: order a special meal such as vegetarian or say you have an allergy when booking.
Your meal will be served first about 30-45mins before everyone else. :smug:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

I'm the big airport truck not running survivors over.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

:piss:

I've flown with aeroflot on the SSJ. Everything about it was far more comfortable and modern in comparison to other regional jets I've flown on.
Besides who knows what the exact cause of this is. How's the SSJs safety record? For a plane that's around a few years now I don't recall hearing anything bad about it.

I'd rather fly in an SSJ over ever being subjected to a pos e-190, avro RJ or a CRJ again.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Taking your backpack with you that is stored under the seat at your feet I can understand. Hell I would do that even.
But I'm surprised the people who actually try take stuff from the overhead compartment aren't literally trampled and pushed aside by everyone else.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

https://i.imgur.com/OCFM9oh.mp4

She goes by the name "Global Girl", AKA Nada Marcinkova, and was bought by Jeffrey Epstein when she was 15 from Eastern Europe. Later she was trained up to fly his Gulfstream and acted as a recruiter and pilot for his pedophile jet trips. Now she operates a website that sells flying vouchers called Aviloop (laundering front no doubt)

For those interested the plane she's flying in the gif is a Pitts S2B.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

These are awesome. Got more or a source?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

AN-24 crash in Buryatia.
Looks like it veered off the runway and crashed into a building beside the runway and catching fire.
2 dead, reported as the crew. 7 more hospitalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCKb2HVlzA

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Finger Prince posted:

Lovely airplane.

(this one is at the Henry Ford Museum, which is well worth a visit if you're anywhere near Detroit.)

Possibly the sexiest US build prop-planes. For me, only the An-3 beats it.

Dang that would look so much better. Also those windows look way bigger than the actual design. Brings a new meaning to glass cockpit huh.
Anybody know the official reason as to why they never went with a design like this?

e:

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ybdaJcrFhE

It’s like the hand of God swatted the Bonanza out of the sky.

Pilot gives their thoughts.

Nice bonanza all the same, not sure how i feel about V tails but good think damage seems minimal.

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 31, 2019

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

"I think we landed"
:laffo:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

PT6A posted:

Agreed. I would kill for a modern version.

I was always mad you couldn't fly the airplane in the hangar.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Plane filled with wrong fuel before crash that killed Tampa plastic surgeon

quote:

An employee at the Kokomo facility later told investigators that as Greenwald was approaching the airport in the Aerostar, the employee asked him if he wanted jet fuel, and Greenwald said “yes.” The employee, who is not named in the report, told investigators he asked because the Aerostar looked like a jet airplane, according to the report.

When Greenwald arrived, the employee parked the jet fuel truck in front of the Aerostar while Greenwald was still inside. The truck was marked with “JET A” on the left, right and rear sides.

“The employee said that he asked the pilot again if he wanted jet fuel, and the pilot said, ‘yes,’ ” the report says.

Jet fuel nozzles are shaped differently from nozzles for standard aviation fuel but the employee told investigators he was able to fill the Aerostar by positioning the nozzle at certain angles. The employee said he initially spilled about a gallon of fuel during refueling and “adjusted his technique so subsequent fuel spillage was minimal,” the report says.

Apparently this guy has some connection to Jeffrey Epstein according to some internet rumours floating about but other than twitter and internet conversation I haven't seen any actual articles relating the two.
Either way big :thunk:

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 1, 2019

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

I initially read this as gorillas and was like holy poo poo.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

The weird thing about these drones is if it's some sort of weird secret operation then why are they using big rear end nav and strobe lights?
:thunk:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

KodiakRS posted:

Boeing is attempting to fly the 777x for the first time today but it's not looking good. Tailwinds are currently gusting to 20 knots with 1'000' ceilings.

Live stream here: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777x/first-flight/?sf226332888=1

Youtube live stream here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKXu06VaxLI
Currently holding due to weather.
What i want to know is why the hell fold-able wings even necessary for a 777?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Biz jet bush pilot :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSqGA37zrgA

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

https://twitter.com/AeronewsGlobal/status/1228716036117221376

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

brains posted:

and now for your regularly scheduled aeronautical insanity: who needs one tail rotor when you can have four?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttBEhFhyM1c

https://www.verticalmag.com/news/bell-electrically-distributed-anti-torque-edat/

drat that is sick. I've always wanted to be a helicopter pilot but I'm not a millionaire.
Helicopters are so much cooler than planes. :smugdog:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

It looks almost like drone-derived technology so maybe it will.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Seeing as earlier we had submarines talk I thought this would be interesting to share from the bullshit forum OSHA thread.

FuturePastNow posted:

That's the Midway, which was commissioned right at the end of the war (September 1945) and was (I think) the last carrier of that era to be retired; she was refitted with an angled deck which made the ship extremely top-heavy and unstable.

The US Navy managed to sail a couple of fleets into typhoons in 1944 and 45, though:

(^ 27-degree roll from the USS Independence)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Cobra

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Knew there'd be at least one evacuating with a big rear end suitcase for in their hand.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Norwegian Air's UK pilots and cabin crew will not receive April salary
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/15/norwegian-air-uk-pilots-and-cabin-crew-will-not-receive-april-salary-covid-19

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

I'm surprised anybody let them do this considering insurance and OSHA etc.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

According to this PIA 8303 was at an altitude of 10,000ft only 4 minutes out from landing, and descending at a rate of over 7000ft per minutes at one stage to intercept the glidescope.
https://youtube.com/UEYiiZdvNh4?t=242
:wtc:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

PT6A posted:

Important consideration: I believe the PC-12, unlike the TBM, may be equipped with a lavatory.

EDIT: I was incorrect, new TBMs do have an option for a serviceable emergency lav.

You just know pilots like Jerry have set auto pilot and just walked away from the controls to take a dump while flying solo in these things.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

ATR72 > Dash 8.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Lou Takki posted:

Don't they act as the fire department for the whole community?

Maybe. But the airport is a 15km mountain road from the main town on the island.
I'd imagine its like in a lot of smaller European airports the fire department also dual role the police/customs too.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Sam Chui is a douchebag.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcM6NcC9n5c

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

Parachutes and supplemental oxygen aren't uncommon for test flights, even airliners.

I have this distinct memory from when the a380 was being developed there was a design that included a slide in the middle of the fuselage that was basically a bail out hatch for all the passengers.
It's so ridiculous is obviously never was implemented but still I remember as a teenager being all woah :eyepop:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

The absolute worst airport I had to transit through was Abu Dhabi. I'd pay the extra 200 bucks to avoid it next time.
It's just a big circular building that you're crammed into and they make sure there is absolutely no where comfortable for you to sit or rest. It's absolutely packed to the hilt like a cattle mart and the food places are insanely overpriced.

e: also all the ground staff are very clearly slaves with confiscated passports.

CDG can suck a fat one and so can London Heathrow.

Best airport I've been to has been Helsinki and Tokyo Narita.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

I always presumed a flight deck would have too many lights to be able to get a proper impression of the stars and milky way.
I'm lucky enough to live in a dark sky area and it's so beautiful, you can see messier clusters with your naked eye and even andromeda if you know what to look for.
The biggest thing people struggle with is that they have to let their eyes adjust for at least 30 minutes with no artificial light...and well people STRUGGLE hard to not look at their phone for that long ruining their vision. :cripes:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQtst6_Ftho

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Is it
a) World's best panel gaps for retractable gear, or
b) Explosively separates landing gear at takeoff and touches belly down on grass, or
c) A non-flying article designed to soak up government contract money with no intention of actually flying a space payload in the next 12 mos

all of the above.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

My favourite part is when he calls gear down at about 20ft above the runway.
Also him snapping at his (wife?) when she asks him if he's sure he saw the runway.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

old but still :catstare:
That's a jerry if I ever seen one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thnddErC66A

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Don't ask....

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

The whirly bird lusts for blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCj5Yhg60UU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e420aff

quote:

A Donghai Airlines Boeing 737-800, registration B-5311 performing flight DZ-6297 from Nantong to Xian (China), was enroute at 7800 meters (FL256) about 70 minutes into the 120 minute flight, when the captain decided to take a toilet break in the forward first class toilet and instructed a passenger waiting before the toilet to return to his seat. The captain entered the toilet, when he later left the passenger was still waiting before the toilet. The captain thus talked to the flight attendant stating the flight attendant hadn't done his job and he should have returned the passenger to his seat. A physical altercation developed which, according to Chinese media reports, resulted in the flight attendant's fracture of an arm and the captain's loss of a tooth. The captain returned to the cockpit, the flight landed without further incident in Xian.

On Mar 8th 2021 the airline posted an apology on Chinese social media accounts confirming the incident and stating that both the captain and the flight attendant had been suspended. Measures to prevent a recurrence have been taken along the lines of China's Civil Aviation Authority

Passengers reported on Chinese social media accounts on Mar 6th 2021, that the physical fight was initiated by the captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

I don't really understand the significance of this but apparently today was the first time in history with no westbound north Atlantic tracks.
https://nats.aero/blog/2021/03/nats-records-first-day-with-zero-westbound-north-atlantic-tracks/