Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

WTB 93 anywhere. Sometimes CA sucks :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah Ive never seen it at a pump lol - Ive heard theres some race gas station down by laguna seca but its not like Im all the way down there very often.

There’s a 76? I think, in Redwood City that has 100, but it’s real expensive.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Personally I am pretty insistent on Chevron only for my personal vehicles, but I also think it doesn't really matter that much in actuality but makes me feel better. Also they are 'local' and a close family friend has worked there for decades.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I have nothing to add other than it looks in pretty good condition and with the right transmission.

In a similar vein though, this is tempting, but I don't even really know how to go about trying to protect against getting rust or a real inspection across the country. And only 5 pics is not really much to go off, but it looks mostly okay, at least compared to the last one I was looking at. 2004 R32

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Godspeed. Rust sucks, but suspension can be thought of as being given a blank slate!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

willroc7 posted:

Any recommendations come to mind? Ride quality comes first for this vehicle.

Sorry my inclination is to drop all of my cars on coils and pretend they are racecars which wouldn't help you much :(

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I fukkin dig it

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

therobit posted:

My daughter will be 12 in about a year. My wife has decided that I should restore an old/classic car with her to be ready when she's 16. I can do basic mechanical tasks like changing oils, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, change out a radiator, but I have little experience with engine internals. The idea here is to have a project here for father-daighter time, end up with a cool car, and teach her basic car repair and maintenance along the way. My father in law has some auto body experience and all the tools to repair and paint panels, although I would ideally start with something where ther is nothing completely rusted through in the visible parts of the car.

So I'm thinking about an old Beetle or Carman Ghia. Or maybe a rabbit or one of those little pickups. I'm looking for suggestions and warnings basically. I have a least a year to plan before buying something and then several years to actually do the project. I'm thinking a reasonable total budget of around $10k. Trying to stay pre-1980 I think.

My thought on the beetle is that parts should be available because they were ubiquitous when I was a kid and a ton of them were made, I have the impression that the older ones are pretty simple, and they're cool. I remember my dad driving a bug with a bumpy cam that he bought from our mechanic when I was really little. That thing could really go when it was running properly.

I think the Ghia is probably harder to find parts for buy just seems like a super cool car.

This is loving cool as hell as an idea and I wish my pops had done the same for me. I love it, however...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This sounds like a super cool project and a nice way to potentially bond with your daughter, but first of all, is she interested in this type of stuff? Is this something that she wants? If it isn't, this project could be something that breeds resentment rather than bonding.

Second of all - an aircooled is an absurdly unsafe car compared to modern cars and there is no way that I would have an inexperienced teenager drive one every day. Is that the plan?

This was definitely my first reaction, which leads me to this maybe?

empty baggie posted:

I wouldn’t recommend a beetle for a new driver. This may not be the most popular opinion in the VW thread, but if you want something older and relatively simple to work on (and plenty of available parts) but also safe, look for a Volvo 240.

But maybe it's just because I am a super weirdo but I find older Volvo's amazing. Also extremely partial to the mk5 rabbit/GTI idea (my first car was one and I think they are rad, but I am not sure if something that modern really works for the idea of a project to build and have at 16)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Mr. Apollo posted:

I had chance to drive my old B8.5 S4 today. It's weird but it felt faster than my current B9 S5. I think it's because the throttle response was instantaneous with the DSG and 3.0 supercharged V6. With the ZF 8 speed on the new 3.0 turbo V6 Audi programmed in a slight delay so it takes about a 1/2 a second for anything to happen when you press the gas. Also the stock exhaust seemed a bit louder on the S4.

ThanksObama I forget who I was listening to explain that it's something about emissions/noise tests and how it's like triggering full throttle from a 30 roll or something for a set amount of second and measuring noise. The anecdote was that a model S failed because of road noise due to how much acceleration it could get in that time span.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

rope kid posted:

I've been seriously considering getting an Alltrack, but I know I would immediately regret selling my R32 (which I would do).

If it's a mk4, do it and sell it to me for cheap :shobon:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Bon Voyage trusty steed

That is some pretty bonkers stuff. I gotta say I did not believe in Shift, I had a friend join them in like 2013 or so and have been shocked they've been still around and he was still there last I looked.

I forgot, are you just going car-less now or did you get something else as a new single car solution?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Nice wagon seems like a very good idea, something I would love to do personally. I do love the design language Volvo has been doing lately, the latest merc with the dumb crossover cladding is uh not great, but everything prior to that also very handsome. Eagerly await the conclusion!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

flightless greeb posted:

In other news since I submitted a request for an estimate for my '19 GSW to Shift (14k miles, they offered $17,500) they've since revised that to $17,900 and then just today up to $19,400 which is very lmao - used car prices must be going nuts right now.

Man this is wild, this made me look into getting a quote for my 2014 Mazda 3 and they offered 15.7 to carvana 11.4. I think that’s too good for me to pass up, but uh man thanks for posting that tidbit!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

FWIW I don't think I've been a passenger in a manual car and not had that same experience even somewhat expecting it more than maybe a normal occupant.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That engine owns, also sounds like a blast!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It is really slick and sad to see it go, but wowza carvana really coming around, they were not anywhere near competitive to the shift offer for my car, but maybe it’s changing weekly. Congrats on the upgrade!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

rope kid posted:

Wasn't the problem, as usual, that no one bought them? I've seen a few Audi Allroads but almost no Sportwagens or Alltracks.

I really considered getting an Alltrack but it was hard to justify since I still love my Mk. IV R32 and I have my van for hauling things and camping.

There are quite a lot of used ones out there, at least around me, not sure if this is true but Jason Cammisa claimed in his podcast that the sportwagen outsold the base variant golf. Which isn’t the best bar considering the mk8 golf isn’t coming here either :/

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

minivanmegafun posted:

what

hasn't every variant of the Golf ever been released in the US market? are we that allergic to hatchbacks?

If I were being pedantic there have been some weird variants we never got but that was like whatever off road version or whatever.

We didn’t get the GTI for like 8 years after it came out, but thats like 40-50 years ago at this point heh.

User Error posted:

I thought we were only getting the mk8 GTI? Y'all plebes should have bought more poverty spec MK7s.

Yep, it’s an unfortunate thing. More people need to buy the new cars that *I* like, so that companies will keep making them and I can buy them used in 3-6 years.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Speaking of Tiguan, that’s apparently what canabalized a lot of JSW/GSW sales in the US, I guess not really surprisingly. One of the points in the podcast I was listening to was how the leasing deals made it like 30% cheaper to have a Tiguan over a GSW so ya kind of shooting themselves in the foot on that one.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I stopped talking to my dad 4-5 years ago but uh I have a very different experience lmao.

He had a blue 85ish? hardbody king cab that he put like 300k miles on commuting 100 miles a day for most of its life until it basically rusted away then got a hand me down 92 s10 single cab from my grandpa, those are the only two cars I ever knew him to have in 25 years. Also that hardbody still ran and he sold it for a grand to someone taking it to a ranch in mexico

My mom had a few more cars, but more because they got hit, late 80s civic hatch, 90s camry wagon, two 850 wagons and then currently a JSW. I think JSW was the 'newest' car she ever bought and it was 3-4 years old at the time.

Buying a new new car is such a wild concept to me, really is a different like world almost to me.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

knox_harrington posted:

A Macan is a Q5. I have one as a loaner at the moment while the garage is changing my wheels over (no idea why this takes over the weekend).

I don't really buy into the idea of a "sporty" SUV and looking at the Audi website the Q5 interior is significantly nicer than the Porsche. I guess the brand differentiation is Porsche = sport focused with a bit of luxury and Audi = luxury with a bit of sport.

I'd take a Q5 and a bunch of money over a Macan. Or more likely a Kodiak and an old Boxster.

Well it's a completely redone by Porsche Q5, actually proper suspension and moved the engine to not do the audi overhang and a lot lot lot of re-engineering to make it actually dynamic

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I love it. Excellent taste OP

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man I sympathize with the market right now that’s wild. My first car I bought in 2012 and it was an 07 2 door with 40k miles I bought for $12.5k wild how much the market had gone insane in that regard on top of regular inflation

I think buying the cleanest you can find is probably best and being less picky about spec if you need a car like kind of now due to the total, but if you have time to be picky it might be worthwhile to wait for at least something LSD spec’d if that’s something you really want because the adding it later part is such a like unlikely thing to actually do imo.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

So then it became natural to ask “well can I just get a GTI for around that much?”

See this is thinking with portals!

But ya I’d try and see if you can find a way to test drive with and without somehow to see if you really want it because now is really the only time to do it. I used Turo to find similar generation cars to what I was looking for (other than stick since that was the rare part) and rented a couple cars for a weekend each to see like how the engine felt and if I liked living with the car, it was $100-$150 for like Saturday morning pick up Sunday drop off each time for E9X BMW in my area. I’d see if turo has any modern GTI in your area so you can get a feel for it, see DSG vs manual and maybe an LSD if you’re lucky. I like the turo approach since I can go bomb some backroads and also go grocery shopping and just get a much better bigger living with it picture than just a quick 15 minute test drive somewhere you don’t know any of the roads.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I think that really is the realm of you have to somewhat decide, I just spent that kind of money for a German car with 84k miles but excellent history. So I’m there with you, but I also didn’t really have an option to spend a couple grand more for less miles.

Personally if I were getting another GTI with the intent of keeping and driving for a long time, I’d probably prefer to get under 60k, 50k if possible. The market right now is wild to me just referring to my previous GTI buying experience. As for mods, if they are in your taste they could be nice, agree with wherever said if they are some cheap bad taste stuff, I would be mostly turned off from the car. Ultimately it’s a pretty small difference in weighting so that’s why it’s hard to really peanut gallery about it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Actually on that note, have you looked into like long term rentals to be able to punt this maybe a few months? And see what happens this fall? I’m not sure it will really ultimately save you quite that much depending how much that would cost but another thing to maybe explore.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re asking me to spend like three grand more on a rental (and basically blow my budget no matter what) to wait until the fall in order to see “if the market improves” when literally everybody’s been saying for weeks that it shows no signs of getting better? And if cars aren’t cheaper in September what do I do then, after I’ve spent the extra money?

A couple years ago a friend ended up in a long term rental for like 6 months and it was about $200/mo or some such, which is why I mentioned looking into it in your area.

So no, I’m not saying spend 3 grand to wait until September. Was just bring up another potential idea as you seemed to be struggling to pull the trigger and are pretty uncomfortable being placed in the current market m, which is very understandable!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It’s a rough position to be in for sure, but I’d say it seems that most of us would make some other compromises as we are personally weighting things differently than you are, which doesn’t make any of us wrong or right. If you know the spec you want for sure, the only thing fungible then is miles to get that spec in your range, so ya get the higher mileage one, that’s the realities of the lovely market to be forced to buy right now I guess. Sorry bud.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Congrats! I hope it’s great for you!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sublimer posted:

Well bad news all! A few weeks ago a pickup drifted into my lane from oncoming traffic and hit me nearly head on. Pretty sure they were texting. My tough old Jetta kept me pretty safe RIP. I know this car wasn't anything too fancy, but I loved it. 2010 manual transmission Wolfsburg Edition with only about 80k miles on it. It was fun to drive and I will miss it.

It kinda looks like my Jetta did more damage to the truck.

Check out this Volkswagen logo I now have on my forearm lol

holy poo poo that suck man. I am glad you are (presumably) mostly okay.

salute to the fallen soldier though, the car was a good car

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

In the meantime, I can pay like $5-10k less and get a well sorted-to-certified Mazda3 with a plush-rear end interior that will coddle me through the rough streets of Eastern Massachusetts. I can save a grand or two by going with a stick, but I’m wondering if it’ll become a pain after a while.

I should just get an auto and then get around to dumping $2k into my e36 just to get it drivable again.

FWIW I just sold my 2014 sGT mazda3 with tech package, so basically every option, but auto. The auto was...fine. I had it for about 3.5 years and a bit less than 20k miles. I sold it because I really regretted not having the manual. It absolutely was very comfy and very much a sensible solid choice. bought it with 31k miles for $16.8k and sold it with 49k for $15.7k. Was great reliable to me and was absolutely a very nice feeling interior. I don't think I would have sold it if I had stuck it out and found a manual. I know you are coming to this as the compromise pick (which I did too, I really wanted a new FoST st3 at the time because there were deals to be had but even them down to $25k I didn't think it was prudent in December 2017)

As a bit of a ramble, but I think if you are a stick person it would be worthwhile to get the stick, but as a sensible alternative to save money, absolutely think that is a very good call. You may want to come out of it sooner rather than later though if the market returns to some modicum of reason.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man that’s rough. Wild that you lose your license for that. I got pulled over doing 148 in a 105 once with out of date registration in my GTI and only got a verbal warning :911:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Lmao wow ya

Well I'm glad you aren't hosed for too long, sucks man.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I doubt Shift will verify the second fob works, for what it’s worth.

This would match my experience selling to Shift

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I guess I had been so busy with work I missed this, but Golf R estate would be amazing I wish we could have nice things over here

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was reminded yesterday that the European 1-series (ie the American 2-series) is/was a hatch, including the M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i

My understanding is that is a completely different car and platform considering that’s a FWD based car.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Over/under on selling...200 in the US/year?

The GSW sold pretty well until it got hosed by VW itself and their pricing on like the tiguan and poo poo making it really dumb to ask people to pay twice as much in some cases for similar capability besides the wagon vs CUV thing.

I would also probably say under at a guestimated $60k price point, still so much cheaper than an RS6 or E63 though. I definitely would get some things together to make that work rather than buy a 10 year old BMW wagon and put $25k or so into it. That is assuming it would have the stick offering though that the hatch R still gets over here.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The regular Golf R sells anywhere from 2-5,000 units a year in the US, it's actually a fairly strong seller for a niche performance hatch. I bet they could manage about a thousand units assuming no more than a 10% price premium over the equivalent hatch. Probably half of that would be cannibalization from the hatch. I'll absolutely buy one but it really ain't gonna happen.

the GSW was pretty badly undercut but it was never a good seller. 26,000 units in its best year is "kill this program" territory and it was pretty well dominated by Alltrack sales (the mix was like 50-65% alltracks in any given year). You can argue some of that was product planning regarding the availability of a manual transmission but I don't really buy it. The last year of the JSW only did about 20k units. I like the cars but they just do not sell in the US market because US new car buyers don't care about the things that differentiate it from a CUV.

Well when you compare to Tiguan and poo poo that was a lot of the same besides form factor, lease deals and poo poo were like literally half for a tiguan compared to GSW and the tiguan got the better engine options like you mentioned. They really hosed themselves more than anything else. I just meant like all things considered it sold well, like for a wagon.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're not doing 50k units on a mass market program it's really nonviable

Sure but there absolutely are some number (admittedly/presumably still small) that would choose the GSW over Tiguan if it didn't cost them literally twice as much per month. Can't really say how much closer it would make it, my point was it never had a chance to be the same level of volume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

My first car was an 07 GTI with the same engine that I put about 100k miles on myself taking it pretty decently past the 100k mark, 140 or so, before I totaled it. Timing belt was expensive because VW but not really so bad, $1500 in the Bay Area roughly a decade ago. The only thing that was ever unexpected was my CV boots tore otherwise normal maintenance that frankly wasn’t bad at all.

That engine does have a cam follower issue where they can wear through and grenade the engine though. From what I remember this is only really a problem if the engine is tuned and pushing more boost.

Personally I think you could do a lot worse if you are a VAG guy. Hell I’d consider it too if I got good juju from talking to the owner!