Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Sab0921 posted:

Guys should I quit big law (4th year - $235k + $65k bonus) to go work for the local government? ($130k + no bonus)

You're transactional, right? I'd probably go in-house. The hours aren't as good as government, but I think there's more room for advancement.

Then again, if you just want to get out (wouldn't blame you based on the insane hours you're billing), I'd say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

Also seeing this stuff in use warms my cynical and jaded ex-lawyer heart because every partner we pitch to tells us that his documents are too sophisticated to automate and it's always a complete loving lie, and it's very entertaining to show them how cookie cutter their documents actually are.

I've used contract express to create tools for automating answers, discovery requests/responses, and settlement agreements.

None of them really save time compared to finding the doc from another case that the partner signed off on and using control-h. I
compared my time and there's not a consistent difference, let alone a big one.

Is your comment specific to transactional work?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

HiddenReplaced posted:

It's actually more complicated than simple interpretation - the breaching party is likely going to argue that the contract was illegal, so we need confirmation from my old firm of whether they looked into this specific issue.

That's always a fun email to get. I get to tell clients pretty regularly that their agreements (restrictive covenants) are unenforceable because it's some dogshit agreement that a corporate attorney drafted like a consumer contract.

How's in-house life?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

HiddenReplaced posted:

Fan-loving-tastic. The greatest. I actually legit enjoy my job.

Seems to be the consensus. My wife is in-house, and it beats the poo poo out of being a corporate associate.

We've had really high attrition in my practice group, but everyone has left to go in-house. The system works.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Getting ready to file a motion for sanctions. Got a six-figure sanctions award last year and would love to add another order to my wall of shame.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

those are pretty illegal in every state whose ethics rules I've thumbed through, which are admittedly not that many

This is legal in Georgia.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

One of my friends is giving up a nice stable career with the us govt dept of labor where she makes upper 5 figs to go to a tier 3 law school and I just want to scream at her. She's going to do night school as well over 4 years because: i dont know. god damnit i'm angry about this

My cousin is going to a T4 law school despite my best efforts. He’s a 1L, so reality hasn’t hit yet. But it will.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I actually really like my job, but I still almost ended up completely screwed. I was at the top of my class at a good but not T14 school, got one summer offer, got no-offered, and miraculously landed a federal clerkship like the day after I graduated.

Someone looking at my bio would think that I worked hard and did the right stuff, which is true, but it doesn’t show how close I was to striking out.

A few years out, you see how many people at firms get pushed out/quit because they hate practicing law. The odds that you have the credentials and land a job at a top firm and don’t hate it after two years are just not very high.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lol this. :laffo:

That’s what separates regular law students from top 10% law students. That’s what separates workhorse associates from associates that get asked to leave. Typically in neither case is the difference intellect or ability in a one-shot standardized test. Effort and time investment matters way more.

Please go to law school. It’s going to be great for the thread.

That and a not great GPA will be an auto ding for most fancy firms for the first fiveish years of your career and for some firms a permanent bar.

For the last opening my firm had, we didn’t interview anyone with grades worse than top 15%.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 8, 2018

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Anyone take a bar after starting a job with a billable hour requirement? I’m taking another bar in July and trying to figure out my study schedule.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm an academic law librarian who has been called on to put together an upcoming legal practice technology class. It's a first for our school, and despite whatever grasp I have on legal bibliography and whatnot, I haven't worked in a firm before. I'm not completely starting from scratch at this point; I know more-or-less what software I'll need to go over and some of the key principles to talk about.

One topic I was hoping this thread might have some insight on is efficient use of common office-type software, chiefly Word, Excel, and Acrobat. I've read that new associates using them inefficiently is a headache, but I don't necessarily know what types of tasks they'll be expected to perform with them regularly.

Things for word: redlining, importance of version control, automated cross-references (if transactional), format painter, find and replace, how to create hotkeys.

Large firms have fancy add-ins, too, so just note their existence because I don’t really ever need to worry about styles or tables of contents.

Things for Excel: VLOOKUP, absolute v. relative references, I use excel to double check deadline calculations all the time, sorting and filtering.

PDF: bookmarks, OCR’ing text, combining/extracting pages and other good stuff to know if it’s late and assistants are not available.

Other things I’d consider adding are PACER, Secretary of State websites, Relativity, and DMS functionality.

The main gap I see is knowing how to navigate/find stuff in the DMS. If you’re at a large-ish firm, you should basically never need to start a document from scratch. Also great for finding intel on opposing counsel and the presiding judge.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

If you're doing civil mediations, you need a loving ton of trial experience. You need to be able to know that poo poo inside and out because the lawyers probably will.

I dunno about that. My office might have one to three trials a year. And the vast majority of the mediations I’ve been to have been about the likelihood of SJ/available damages. Maybe that’s just my practice area, though.

My one piece of advice would be to never hire someone who mediates as an arbitrator. The combo folks I’ve worked with are way too wishy washy in arbitration—too used to the mindset of pushing parties to agree. I also think people are naturally suited to one or the other. I think I’d be a great arbitrator, but I know I would be a god awful mediator.

Yuns posted:

I haven't posted in the lawyer megathreads in years, but I wanted to check in to see if anyone is still doing the big law or in house thing. I've moved from a senior in house counsel role since I last posted to a big law partner.

Whattup. I work at a big law firm, and my wife is in house after having her fill of M&A all nighters.

Did the firm bring you in as equity, or are you non-equity till they see some business generation? You decide to go with a firm you used as OC?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

My poor assistant doesn’t know it yet, but tomorrow is a binder day.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Yuns posted:

I'm a partner and practice head at another biglaw firm now. My new firm is a better fit for my practice. Still sticking with biglaw for now. I think the only things that would tempt me to move would be a significant GC role or Article III federal judiciary (no one is going to ever nominate me for it).

District court judge is my dream job, and I’m seriously considering applying for a magistrate judge position once I’m eligible. I probably have another 6-8 years before I could apply though.

I’m applying for AUSA positions now. Actually a little bummed because my district is hiring 4, and I thought they were hiring for enough positions that I might get an interview. That’s about the only job that could get me to leave my current firm.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Alaemon posted:

Mostly, I'd just like a spot on the bench (any bench) so I could finally enforce my draconian, "even Scalia and Thomas think's he's too literal" interpretation of the court rules.

It’s always refreshing to get a judge that cares whether the parties follow the court rules. But there’s definitely a balance. I’m less of a stickler after a couple years in private practice, especially for courts that have crazy expedited rules (looking at you, ED Va) and for rules that require stupid reports or status updates to the court.

But I definitely think courts should be more willing to impose discovery sanctions. The poo poo some people try to pull is ridiculous.

nm posted:

Can you move?
I kept getting hassled by the acting to apply (and I suck), but their pension sucks.

No, my wife is in house and we both love where we live. I don’t think we’d move unless she got a ridiculously good GC offer. And I’m taking another bar in July. After that, no more bar exams.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I had a call today where it seemed like my client had a contest about who could do the most legally damaging thing. It’s a multi-way tie for first.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Yuns, is your firm considering moving to a PC from an LLP? I know my firm is looking into it but haven’t heard anything further. Will be interesting to see if a bunch of firms convert once partners get their year-end draw.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Well, got an AUSA interview for the civil division. I actually don’t know anyone in the civil division, so any thoughts on interview questions to ask and why to emphasize would be appreciated. I had a whole bunch of stuff planned if I got a criminal interview, but I’m not really sure how much the points I planned to highlight for a criminal division spot apply.

Like, does the emphasis on trial experience really matter as much? I have no idea how often civil division lawyers go to trial.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I might ask questions about the work environment that you'll be in, the people you'll be working with, and show them that you want to fit in and that you're a cool dude that wants to get along with everybody.

This is good poo poo and will be my new life philosophy.

ActusRhesus posted:

yeeeeeaaaaaaah...

all the sudden AUSA openings that have popped are probably for immigration.... I saw our local office pop and went WOO HOO CLUB FED PAY INCREASE. Then I read between the lines in the description and decided sticking with my state gig was probably the wiser move. Not trying to poo poo on your opportunity here... just be sure it is what you think it is.

Neither. Anyone who didn't bail after Mists of Pandaria shows severe judgment issues.

More likely that I’d send my time making sure student debt isn’t discharged in BK, discrimination claims, and maybe some cool FCA stuff.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I said I didn’t know how often civil AUSAs went to trial. I know what they do.

Fortunately, a guy in the crim division agreed to talk to me before my interview, so that will hopefully stop me from asking stupid questions or emphasizing things that matter more for the crim division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just got an interview scheduled for a second chair spot for one of my state's capital conviction review teams. FL doesn't use habeas procedures for capital appellate review, and instead has three designated regional counsel offices that provide all post-sentencing appellate work. This is my first interview I'm actually excited about because I actually give a drat about the work they're doing.

Man, whole lotta goons love post-conviction work apparently. Congrats on the interview!