Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Oh, Kaplan essay graders. You pricks.

Florida requires a 136 on Part A (Florida) and a 136 on Part B (MBE). If you fall short on one of the exams, an average score of Parts A & B may qualify you to pass both parts. Does anybody have any idea approximately how many right answers are required on the MBE to get 136? (roughly, like a rule of thumb). I cannot find any reliable information on this.

So I am asking goons.
Here's what wiki says. No idea if this helps

quote:

Average scores

The average raw score from the summer exam historically has been about 128 (64% correct), while the average scaled score was about 140.[17] In summer 2007, the average scaled score was 143.7 with a standard deviation of 15.9. Over 50,000 applicants took the test; less than half that number took it in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I have to move everything out of my apartment the day after bar and then I have a week off and then my job starts

that week off will be the most glorious cathartic vacation ever

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Linguica posted:

Seems like the July 2012 crop of bar takers are way more neurotic and freaked-out than in recent years. I guess anyone who decided in 2009 that law school was still a good idea is probably a pretty broken person though so it makes sense I suppose.
I regret the actions leading up to starting law school in aug 2009 more than I ever thought I could

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Napoleon I posted:

Also acceptable?
hey I used to work for themis. How was their New York stuff? my friend was asking.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Napoleon I posted:

Good/fine. I seemed to know every bit as much as my friends who did Barbri. Also, some of the lecturers were really good (the commercial paper guy, Sherman Clark for evidence [Go Blue!]) And, like, I saved ~$2,500.

Awesome, I'll let him know.

I thought all the MBE Profs (esp. crazy beard property guy) were pretty good but the Texas-specific profs were hit or miss, so I was wondering how good the NY-specific guys were. Sounds like they're good enough to recommend to my friend, tho.

Thanks!

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Attention Texas takers:

Albert defo made the promissory note payable to Danny instead of to the order of Danny.

1. Doesn't that mean its not negotiable?

2. How did I get to the point where I would ever know this or care to know this?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

Things you will remember about commercial paper a year from now:

1) Commercial paper is boring.
Listen sweetheart, I just spent 3 days smelling four hundred people's desperation and trying to figure out whether John gets to inherit Ann's china, all while realizing I may, nay will, die alone.

And all I really care to know is if Albert's promissory note was negotiable.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
The only thing bar cards are useful for is the fact that if your lawyer does a really lovely job, you can yell "I'll have your bar card for this!" Then you can smash your claw-gloved arm on the armrest of your chair, upsetting your cat, as Inspector Gadget flies away using his propeller hat.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Don't go to law school. If you have accounting in your background, do that. it's just as awful as law but $200k cheaper.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I wouldn't say I have accounting in my background. I worked as a manager/accountant at a retail store for a couple of years. I wasn't exactly crunching numbers, I just handled a lot of the intake and worked on ordering, bill paying, things like that.

Once again, only have a BA in English.
That's not really accounting, or even */accounting. I would say not to go to law school.

edit it may be illegal to call what you did accounting like you did in your first post and maybe even your second post. don't try to be a lawyer because your state's bar examiners may read this post and fail you on your character and fitness.

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 3, 2012

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

evilweasel posted:

It's not a joke that your GPA and LSAT are basically all that matters. The rest is a tiebreaker. You have an okish but got great gpa and no idea what you have on the LSAT. That is the only thing you should focus on now, and you need to be aware that if you bomb it and you're looking at only lovely schools it is time to re-evaluate. You need to crush it with your GPA.
To be fair, USNEWS ought to create a matrix for generating reportable numbers aggregating an incoming class's accounting-related experience. If he waits for this to be implemented, his chances of admission could go way up.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
My agency's business cards are smudgy and printed with poor quality. Despite finding great full-time employment and qualifying for public service loan forgiveness, I would still say overall that going to law school was a bad idea.

I bet the guy who printed these doesn't even know what surgeon's cuffs are, let alone have the aesthetic capacity to appreciate mine.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

Full time (30 hours or whatever org determines is full time) at a non-profit or govt org (city, county, state, fed).

10 years total
Now that I am a government lawyer, I need this to exist until at least Jan 2024 at minimum, thanks in advance Congress. This thread should start an issue PAC to support pro-IBR candidates in primary battles.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Also payments while your loans are in deferral wouldn't count towards your 120. Wish I knew about this before I found out that getting enrolled in IBR triggers an automatic 60 day deferral. On the upside, I guess I don't have to make any payments till next year.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

woozle wuzzle posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck, so us helping broke rear end people for profit don't count :(

Welp, looks like it's bare minimum for 25 for me....

How on Earth is working for broke people profitable?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Omerta posted:

Bankruptcy. :biotruths:
Anyone rich enough to hire a bankruptcy lawyer isn't really a public interest sob story.

Now working for the government. That's the public interest.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

wacko_- posted:

Hi law-goons. Its been a while.

I left the government (USPTO) about 6 months ago and started at a firm doing patent prosecution. As one of the people who decided it was a good idea to graduate in 2009, this was my first entry into a life where 1950 billable hours were required of me. Its not far from the Patent Office, so my commute is the exact same. I even see some of my friends on the train. But they turn right when getting off the train while I turn left. Poetic.

Well here's the real question for those of you who've been practicing for a while. I've recently started getting grey hair. I'm 32 and the greys are invading. I already cut my hair very short, which hid it somewhat initially. Now its becoming noticeable. Dying my hair seems wrong, but is this what I'm reduced to? The girlfriend has already noticed but that's a different thread.

Help me law-goons.

Just go grey. Who cares?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I just want a dynamic, exciting career where I think and argue on my feet and I get to have meetings while walking briskly in office corridors. Frankly, I just think the camera shots for walking corridor briefing at The Hague are the best fit for me, and that's why I want to do international law.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Nickoten posted:

Is this totally bullshit? Studying international business law and using my language degree to help employability was my original plan. Reading this thread has helped sober me to the idea, though. What I'm wondering is, if I do get into a T1 law school and have genuine interest, is it still a bad idea? I'm fairly confident that I can at least get into Ohio State's Moritz School of Law, but they don't seem to focus on international business much and I'm hoping to do better.

Have you considered pro bono international human public interest business rights law?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Colorblind Pilot posted:

This is all solid advice. The catch for me is that I'm writing an "empirical" note based on a butt load of data I've gathered. The data is interesting but it essentially shows that nobody listens to the Supreme Court on a particular patent law topic (instead, they listen to the Federal Circuit). That's all great, but what exactly am I trying to prove? I want to show this data, but the Notes Manual says you have to offer a prescription, and I'm not sure exactly what that is at this point.

Abolish patens.

Serious answer, just analyze the the two courts' opinions and recommend that Congress adopt whichever is best.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Having business cards is actually really handy and I give mine out a lot more than I expected to, but if I were paying to print my own, I'd probably just carry a notebook and tear pages out. Hope this helps.

That said, my primary use for them is for handing to the court reporter so my name is spelled right on the transcript, which overall is not a super awesome use of state printing resources, but whatevs.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Tbh, the way he has allowed it to color his jurisprudence is unethical, but I could totally understand feeling like a stigmatized outsider if I were a poor southern black in 1970s Yale and resenting it later in life.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

Yeah, I'm sure being at literally the absolute top of his profession has given him a lot to feel resentful for.

He wasn't at literally the absolute top of his profession when he was at Yale. In fact, he graduated with almost no job prospects and no help from the administration, only enhancing his perception of tokenism.

That said, being a jobless Yale grad was probably caused by the same solipsistic lack of empathy that allows him to sit as the second worst justice on the Court. However, the way Thomas feels towards Yale is totally plausible and even a little sympathetic. I don't think you should have to forgive every perceived past transgression once you reach a certain level of professional success.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

He notion that he would have had an easier time of things with a degree from anywhere else is laughable. What do you think is a bigger impediment to the job prospects of a young attorney: having a degree from the best law school in the nation, or being black in Missouri in the 70s? Chalking up personal adversity to a great education opportunity instead of pervasive racism is another symptom of Thomas being terminally wrongheaded.

I don't think that notion was at all implied. It has that has to do with the daily microaggressions you perceive as a token minority in one of the great bastions of white privilege in our country. Sure, it was lucrative and worthwhile, etc., but in the years he was at Yale and then the years shortly after, he was an awkward outsider and then an unemployed awkward outsider. That was the truth of his life when his views towards Yale were formed.

You could say that the emotional problems that are evident in his writings are the real root cause of his problems in the 70s, but its still a sympathetic situation.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Keeping up with the Supreme Court is pretty important if you care at all about national policy issues. If you have any personal curiosity about any of these topics, you too may wish to know a little more about the Court and its members' views:

-Affirmative action in college admissions
-Racial diversity in public schools
-Whether and how the Affordable Care Act will be implemented
-Gay marriage
-Female pay disparities
-How large can a class in a class action suit be before Scalia blinks?
-Gun control
-The racial makeup of congressional districts for elections

These issues and more have been before the Court in the last 5 years. If you go back farther than 5 years, you'll find questions like

-How little due process can we get away with providing to prisoners? Not so fast, what if we keep them off-shore and also they are Muslim?
-Which presidential candidate in the 2000 presidential election will get to be president starting in January 2001?

My Congressman's district was affected by a Supreme Court decision handed down this year. Sometimes the Court does things that any civic-minded person should be aware of, even if he isn't a lawyer practicing before it.

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 16, 2013

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

I was pulled into a divorce case with a third party business tort joined onto it. I have a big firm on one side, a big firm on the other side and it's just me. And they're papering me. :/

Sounds like a bunch of billable hours if you read every last comma.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

insanityv2 posted:

I love it when 0L's accuse those advising them not to go to law school to be doing so because they are afraid said 0L's will eventually take their jobs.

I overheard my boss the other day: We're happy but not ecstatic about HolySwissCheese's work. I say we keep him around until 2017. There's a hotshot history senior at Notre Dame I met last week, and I bet we could bring him in once he finishes law school and then we'll fire HolySwissCheese.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Every time I read these things, it makes me so happy to work for the government. The top of my pleadings literally say "NOW COMES my agency, representing the public interest, and would show blah blah blah."

I don't think I could ever enjoy going private side in my regulatory field.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Mine is "sec " (with the space)

s* is clearly the best

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

They outright admit that the Simulated MBE they give is intentionally more difficult than the true MBE. The results on the MBE vs. the essay results made me even more skeptical given I got a 140 (93rd percentile nationally) on their Simulated MBE, but my essay scores are only marginally in the passing range.

I suppose my point is that for the price they charge, I'd appreciate less CYA and more straight talk. I mean, sure, I can determine for myself by looking through sample answers and such that I know Civil Procedure in enough detail to pass pretty much any essay on it, but I think that shouldn't really be my job, it should be Barbri's given the price tag on the service.

Their job is to cause you to pass, not teach you any nuance. If they trick you into being over prepared, then great.

They already tricked you into over-studying the property outline. You even went so far as to restate the whole thing in your own words. Sounds like they are doing a great job.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I want to criticize but I'm sure I was just as disgusting and awful during my bar studying.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Zo posted:

How do you not just kill yourself when this happens?

With IBR, you don't have to actually pay anything on your loans until you make money. The average law student that graduates with debt qualifies for IBR so long as he makes like $90k/year or less.

IBR is also based on prior-year income, so it always lags. Even though I have a decent job now, I didn't make any money last year, so my minimum payments this year are $0.00.

His position is kind of liberating. He'll never earn enough money to ever pay his loans. So long as his parents are willing to let him live there, he should just go start a company or volunteer at a nonprofit or something.

Really entertaining sidenote: Tuition is actually so high at Cornell that some first year biglaw associates probably qualify for IBR. The federal government is hosed and is going to have to cancel IBR eventually.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I'm a 2012 grad. I got really lucky and got a job working for my state government trying to prevent certain regulated companies from earning $30M/year that they don't really need and that will ultimately go toward paying country club dues for executives.

At first I was really excited because I could do my 120 months for loan forgiveness and then evaluate my exit options, namely going to work to help regulated companies earn an extra $30M/year in exchange for them paying my country club dues. However, it turns out I hate everyone who doesn't work for my agency and could never respect myself if I went private on my field. Luckily I love my agency, so hopefully my future ends up in one of three ways

1. Lifer at my agency until I get my awesome state retirement pension. I can retire as early as 2040.

2. Do this for 8 or 9 years and then try to become an administrative judge in my field.

3. Inherit some millions.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
State ALJ for sure. In my state you get assigned a subject matter and only have to do that. I wouldn't move unless I knew ahead of time what division I'd be in.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Is there an argent that the prosecutor was not overaggressive? I'm sure there could be one, I just haven't read anyone who isn't from the pro-Swartz camp.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

OK, so he asks 4 questions: 1. Was punishing Swartz appropriate? 2. How much punishment is appropriate? 3. Who is to blame if government conduct is overzealous? 4. Should we reform the law?

I only read his short answers, so here we go:

His answer to (4) is fine.

His answer to (3) is basically, there was probably some injustice, but it's the ordinary everyday injustice that happens to everyone, and you're a hypocrite if you only care about Aaron. This is dumb as heck thing to say, since usually it's one charismatic person getting hosed before we notice the everyday injustice. See Lilly Ledbetter. By saying this sort of everyday injustice happens to poorblacks every day therefore we should care less about Aaron, he's totally missing the point.

His answer to (2) is kind of troubling, since conduct that materially contributes to a person committing suicide is per se in excess of special deterrence. Saying its a balancing thing beyond his ken is a cop out.

I saved (1) for last because its really the dumbest, a great exercise of victim blaming. The author holds (a) that civil disobedience, even that with which we agree should be punished, which is ok because (b) Aaron wanted to be punished. ("Indeed, usually that is the point of civil disobedience: The entire point is to be punished to draw attention to the law that is deemed unjust.") Aaron was wandering around town in a skirt too short hoping to get prosecuted!

News flash: the goal of civil disobedience is to effect change. All of the unpleasantness in between, getting prosecuted, hosed down, shot, etc., is a cost. If bearing these costs causes awareness, then great, but getting arrested isn't a goal. If you asked Aaron"Would you prefer to be prosecuted and cause awareness or would you prefer to not get prosecuted and also the dumb law is repealed?," guess which one Aaron would choose? To say his goal was to be prosecuted as a way of forgiving the injustices of (2)–(4) is totally missing the point.

It's a decent article, so I will admit that there is a cogent argument in the pro-prosecutor side, but I just don't agree with it. I don't think there's any upside to punishing civil disobedience with which the bulk of us agree. Couldn't we have avoided jailing Mandela for 30 years, or was that all OK because apparently his specific goal was to get locked up?

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 14, 2013

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

10-8 posted:

How do all of you make privilege logs? I have about 15,000 pages to go through and I'm using Adobe Acrobat's redaction tool and making entries into an Excel spreadsheet by hand. I'm trying to decide if everyone is in my boat or if this is something I can legitimately gripe about to my higher-ups. It seems wholly inefficient.

That's how I've always seen them made, except you can usually trick a paralegal into doing it.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

The really embarassing thing is that this graph shows how loosely correlated tuition price is to value of the degree. I can smugly report that that lone blue dot at 25% placement and only $30k tuition is where I went to school - Texas. An awful choice, surely, but clearly there were worse choices.

I'm also glad that my cushy government job is actually hurting our NLJ250 placement figures.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

HiddenReplaced posted:

50k for a 50% chance is better than 30k for a 25% chance. GOD LAWYERS ARE SO BAD AT MATH LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOMGOMGOMGLOLOLOWTF.

I was more referring to the fact that every other school in the 20 to 30% range is at minimum 40k, as well as half of the schools in the 0% to 20% range. Obviously Yale, Penn, Harvard, etc. are totally worth it relative to UT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Texas lawyers: Is it me or is our Bart's website mostly inscrutable. As far as I can tell, my first CLE period is actually two years, so I have until Nov 2014 to do my first round of CLE, which is fine. I also thought there was a mandatory first year attorney ethics CLE, but I can't find anything about it online.