Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I would never touch a customer's phone. Usually they come up to ask about a product and have a screenshot or photo of it.
If I grab that phone off them there's a 99% I'll accidentally swipe to their next photo which is guaranteed going to be a shot of their junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I used to do that all the time. Rock up for 5 hours and end up staying for 12-13 hours.
Can't be hosed doing that anymore; nothing worse than it. Always got asked to hang back as I'm about to go clock off. It's just not enough time to psyche yourself back up.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I live in Victoria and my store still has 15 pallets of TP out the back from the last panic buying. It's been sitting there for 6months and will probably continue to sit there.
People are loving idiots.

I hope everyone that hoards poo poo in the hopes of scalping it off to people in need get hosed over like they almost always do when the panic rush subsides.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The one saving grace was that our dairy person was reliable, if overwhelmed. She worked hard. She stayed late. She stressed herself out worrying about her job, and she was grateful any time someone helped her. Naturally, they drove her absolutely insane until she hated the job. When I heard they were getting close to writing her up over things largely outside her control, I told her.

She changed departments same day.
This is a good move. When I was 2ic for night fill my manager got written up for underperforming when a new policy came in to reduce our budget 30%. Was doing 13+ hour days on a shoe string budget to keep up and it was awful to see.
Back then I was still interested in management so I had an alert for nightfill positions. Got one for the store we were working and and alerted him they'd already put his job up for applications.

He thought he'd be fine and that they'd see how hard he works to get the job done.

Was awful to see and made me sick to my stomach. Made me realise retail might not be for me.
My store manager absolutely loved me and was keen to move me up but I knew as soon as I hit that position and being utterly incapable of running things any different with no money it would change pretty quick.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Gripweed posted:

When you're applying to work at a big box retail chain like target or HEB, do you gain anything from applying for multiple positions at the same store? I was looking at this one Target location, they have three positions open, I applied for the first one. But the application included a lot of "Would you also be willing to work in literally any other position?' questions, so I'm wondering if I'd gain anything from applying to the other two
Probably doesn't hurt. From the company I work with if they're going multiple casual positions they just pool them all together anyway, what department you actually get doesn't always seem hugely relevant to the one you applied for.
Might not do anything but they won't get pissed if you apply multiple times. With starting positions you're basically just hoping you put yours in near the top of the pile because I'm confident they don't view all the applications.

But yeah if you chuck down you're available for anything and you're free weekends they'll be thirsty for that.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Company: We are a family!

Also Company: That's right, crawl on your stomach over broken glass, shoving your coworkers aside, reaching for that last moldy cupcake we are forced to give you as minimum wage.
This bile they spew from head office makes me sick to my stomach. No one loving buys that poo poo. Why even expend the effort to jerk off how much you care about your team members.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I just use sweatblock and order them online. I'm a sweaty mess most shifts so I found they helped heaps. They work like 5-7 days so you just reapply once a week, or more often at the start if you need to.
Then I combo it with some cologne depending on what I'm feeling. Nothing worse than going through a shift stinking of BO.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
How the gently caress is that not an instant termination? Has he been instructed by a supervisor to use it before or something? That's the only way I could see him not getting burnt on that move.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Leal posted:

I'm always amazed whenever someone at work knows what I'm talking about when I ask for "do its"
Those little plastic stickers to hang poo poo up on hooks? I'd never heard it before I started at BigW. Everyone knows what it means but I'm still not convinced it's not a gag by the person that trained me. It makes no sense as a term.

After googling it seems like a universal term.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 12, 2021

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
That's absolutely hosed. I wouldn't want to go near that.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Kilonum posted:

Newbie coworker: How did you get that scar on your arm?

Me: clipped my arm on a plastic sign holder 10 years ago because I have the coordination of a wounded wildebeest.

Said scar

This is my best retail scar though not nearly as old.

Was helping the fill leader throw these old metal fixtures into the skip out back at the start of the year when this heavy metal table bounced back and a corner somehow landed on top of my hand.
Really outdid myself for this one. Got stitches and came out none the worse but part of me poo poo myself later on when I realised I could've damaged the tendons in my hand working some absolutely trash minimum wage work.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Perfect swing. gently caress that guy. His mate behind her holding her back while he rams his trolley into her should also cop it.

Hope that greeter doesn't get punished.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 4, 2021

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Had the exact same thing with the AC at my store. Turned out it was endemic to the company as well because every store I've worked at was like stepping into a sauna when outside is still freezing cold and raining somehow.
It's been heaps better recently because they had 1 team member and 2 different customers collapse in the same week so they finally got their poo poo together.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Leal posted:

You know how some countries will require enlistment after graduation? They should do that but you have to work retail for 2 years.
This but also everyone on the board of directors for LSO's should have to do one shift of a month in the bottom tier gig of their company. 10 hour shift getting poo poo on, no breaks and pissing in bottles. The full treatment.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Have you tried not giving a poo poo? It's awesome.
Easier said than done. I did the same for a good year closing, smashing out 30 pallets a night and copping nothing but heat from the lazy cunts that clocked on in the morning.
I spent loving ages thinking I'm loving up somewhere I can't get everything done satisfactorily and that while I don't see it, the morning crew with the SM must be putting out their own fires all the time.

Eventually I got rotated to mornings and discovered the truth. All the department managers would clock on before their teams and spend an hour wandering the store and poo poo talking night fill. Then after that hour long walk it was 30minute standup meeting with the team.
The morning meeting is done and they'd retire to the office to have a managers' meeting, which basically was just poo poo talking night fill before they'd break for lunch. Meanwhile they've got me in on all these meets because they want to train me up but I'm only on a 5 hour shift and I'm 4 hours in without doing anything.

It was pretty eye opening. Now I work a real job where I accomplish half as much, get paid double and still have time on the side to work casual retail once a week so I never get nostalgic.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Just left there? I've never witnessed anything that rough.
Only thing similar I've seen is my own fuckup eating with my manager and we got pulled off our break to put out some fires and left a whole chicken on the bench for like 6 hours.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Call centres would be a mixed bag. High turnover rates but let's not lie, retail's the same.
Had a mate do a few months for a large company and he said it actually paid heaps compared to retail(this probably isn't true for the US in standard fashion).

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Plus, as is occasionally talked about here, retail employees can get overlooked for non retail jobs despite having a lot more qualifications than they’re given credit for. A call center job is both different but also is about the same qualifications as what one views for retail, so it could be an easier stepping stone out of retail.

But def not saying it’s a slam dunk or holy grail option.
This is something that never really occurred to me until recently. I've applied for a Shift Coordinator position twice at my current gig which is basically 2ic to a team of 4 people(including the shift leader) and I've been shot down for not having enough leadership experience twice.
It's a SL, 2ic and 2 Full timers. I used to manage a fill/recovery team of 30+ casuals, plus do end of days for a department store that had that many staff and more on site at all times and somehow that doesn't count.

It frustrates me because compared to retail nothing at my current gig ever stresses me. Something will break, everyone will panic and there'll be me, "Yeah this sucks but isn't as bad as the time I had to evacuate a large department store as the chief fire warden despite none of us ever getting drilled, with zero first aid reps because it costs money to train staff and the SM barking down the phone to go back in and lock up the cash."

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Banned from working at Walmart. More than worth it.

That customer hopefully learnt a powerful life lesson.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Surely he wouldn't actually get anything from that. The man wasn't employed by Walmart anyway.
Just some bullshit where he's subcontracted out so they probably washed their hands of the whole situation.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Mill Village posted:

My work has turned down the AC and some days are just miserable for me. I’m very sensitive to heat so this means I spend part of my shifts sick in the bathroom. All my manager said was “well you’re hot because you’re working.” Sure.
This poo poo is absolutely cooked if you're working fill/replenishment in a hot store with a mask on. Had a team member feint on me last year right at the start of the day and everyone panicked.
It's genuinely frustrating when this happens because my company is always like, "yeah AC's broken we'll get contractors out to work on it" but it's always been that way since like 2017 when I started. Did my orientation day in sweltering heat on an incredibly mild day and wondered what the gently caress is going on.
Turns out it's just always that hot.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Can't wait to hear about her next rant and exclaiming she'll never shop there again.

You'll breathe a sigh of relief only to witness her back in the next day.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

In the week or so that I've been gone my job has tried and failed to fill my position with two different people. I wonder how many months it'll be before its close to being under control.
That's awesome!

When I quit my position went to this poor machine of a worker that was happy to start 1pm Fridays and finish 11am Saturdays to keep it under check.
It still went out the window and they had unworked pallets just chilling out in the carpark for a bit because it wouldn't fit in the dock but it was pretty disappointing that through sheer exploitation of a salary position by not paying him for 60% of his extra work they got back on task and within budget.

Honestly it's my own fault for being surprised.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I'd take the nail out. "Hrmm must've fallen out while I was driving"

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
My only experience is having a new driver jack-knife his truck in front of our loading dock because it's a busy shopping centre and if you're not experienced to it then it can be kind of a poo poo show.
ASM came down to chew us out because dispatch had been bitching that we had left the driver there for 45minutes without accepting the delivery.

"Ready to receive as soon as he unfucks himself and backs it up to us mate"

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Cleaning up dog poo poo sounds a lot less stressful than those hosed up days in retail where you end up cleaning people poo poo.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

We switched to Microsoft Teams for everyone a few years ago and I'd prefer almost anything else. It's a slow piece of garbage.
My team uses Slack for everything except communicating with other departments because we're supposed to roll over all comms to Teams eventually. The work laptop I use can barely run teams without falling over. I have no idea why it's so CPU-intensive just chilling in the background.
I keep the process killed until I have to communicate with someone else from the company and then regretfully have to fire it up and kill all my other tasks.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
That's a poo poo move, especially to drop you off the group chat. I went to a social once for a team and noticed the manager only invited half the team and none of the girls. Was a pretty awkward experience and haven't been out since.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Just got an email from one of the high up major district managers, letting us know that everyone who works 40 hours or more a week after Thanksgiving through December 20th, will get an extra $50 peak bonus a week.

Wow. Thanks.
When I worked retail if I hit over 38hours I'd go into like double time and a half. $50 is insulting and offering nothing would be less of a rep hit.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember reading a study about why kids, ranging from toddlers to teens, act out when they get home from school/daycare: after a full day of being as good as possible, they snap and need to vent, and for kids, that usually is a tantrum or being short and snappy.

Anyone else have that issue when you get off work? You need some time to unwind, and driving home doesn't count. I've noticed in the past few weeks that when I get home, I need like 15 minutes after my evening chores to chill out. Shower, eat something, check the forums, and then I can actually talk like myself. My mom, bless her heart, likes to yammer on the second I walk in the house, wanting me to wait for her to finish her speech of the day (she works from home), and then is surprised when my answers are short and snappy because despite me telling her I need some time to relax, the Facebook Baby Yoda memes must been laughed at.

Yeah 100%
When I did this full time I just felt mentally exhausted and needed to chill at home listening to tunes or something. I remember every shift would just play out in my mind on repeat on the way home where I'd fantasise about saying what I wanted to say instead of being polite to my store manager.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I love that side-eye glance the customer gives you as you spot them walking into the store to pickup some things.

Always after raging out the day before, "I'm never shopping here again" .They say it as a threat but you feel nothing but a wave of relief.
It's short lived because you know like everything they've said before it they're full of poo poo.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Whenever a customer was completely impossible to get rid of because they wouldn't accept that we didn't have the special part they needed, I'd always tell them a store ten minutes away almost certainly had it. I eventually got some of my coworkers to start doing the same thing, too. I bet that store loving hated us.
You are a monster. I've rung a mate at a local store before to specifically tell their team to gently caress off or give me a call before they send me dogshit customers looking for stock I don't have.
"You can see the stock count for every local store in the area. Just because everyone is on 0 or -1 and I have 1 does not mean I actually have it. It would've been stolen long ago"

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh no, I mean, other franchises entirely. If it's another store in the chain I always called and checked if they actually had the item before I sent the customer on, especially if it's a long drive.
Oh that's completely fair then. I do the same. Customers loving love me when I tell them to visit a competitor. It's apparently very honourable to offer solutions outside ones that would make the business money.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I had a department manager that was completely useless and got done for stealing phones and clothing. Idiot would grab other team members' symbols and stock adjust them down when she did it.
Like mate, don't loving do that. Just take the whole box and inventory will assume DC hosed up.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I'm no thief but if I were I feel like hitting the dollar tree store wouldn't cross my mind. That just sounds like all risk and literally no reward? What's the point?
Or do they secretly make bank and keep it stored on site?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
My Store manager tried to chase this dude down that was stealing stuff and running out the front (think a 65" TV or some wild poo poo like that). Unfortunately he was well aware how hard they tell us to never do exactly that so he chased this guy for a bit only to stop and run back to the store when he remembered he'd get fired if he grabbed him.

I always picture it like Manny in Black Books when someone tries to be a hero out the front door.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcE9ppYolK8

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

As a delivery driver who does not drive a semi, I would like to extend a full gently caress You to the people who design parking lots without deliveries in mind. So many places I go to, small little parking lots without any place to park anything larger than a Prius.

I did have a manager once get mad at me for blocking off some work bays; when I pointed out the alternatives were to park in the street or him not get the delivery, he told me to park in the handicapped spots. Yeah, not gonna happen. I don't need someone taking a pic of my van in a handicapped spot and it going viral.
I appreciate the day to day effort all truck drivers put in getting around no matter how big or small after witnessing a massive semi jack-knife it in front of our loading dock on his first visit to our store and get it stuck for 3 hours. Having the load chilling out the front for that long without receiving it is probably the only time I've heard of us copping a call from the big dogs at head office directly to roast us.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Fair enough. The only worker near me I could have asked anyways was someone I'd seen be interrupted twice while I did the whole "Wait this section is empty...is the thing I want out? Yup. Are their alternatives I want? Nope. Do a quick look-around to make sure corporate hasn't had the store shift poo poo about just to make it harder to find." Sequence.

My experience in customer-facing retail is rather limited since I'm retail-logistics, and before that I was a food-sample guy at Walmart (Even as a contractor and not an actual store-pawn: the Waltons can go die in a fire). I just know I'd personally find it kind of obnoxious to keep getting interrupted by people.
I've always done replenishment and fill when I worked retail full time. Night fill when store was still open kind of sucked because you're on a time limit and seconds count so if you get a few customers with long inquiries it gets tough.
Day during the store though I didn't give a poo poo. I wasn't getting anything done anyway and unless your manager is a piece of poo poo(this is a big IF) they'll understand you had customers all day.

I work a department store and there usually is stock out the back, but it's unlisted and impossible to find. Last time I was in we had over 100 pallets of stock from DC unsplit and unworked.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
My store is massive and we always frothed ordering one box of pallet wrap at a time. The ASM would insist we write on the board when we were running low and we'd just write it up as soon as we received a new box because we'd burn through it in at most 2 days. He continued to ignore us.

Eventually the fill leader started doing some hella dodgies and writing off big rolls of glad wrap to use instead and I absolutely poo poo myself when some poor fool flew a 2.2metre tall pallet of cleaning products into the racking barely held together with glad. This thing was heavy enough the fork almost couldn't lift it and it turns out glad wrap doesn't hold quite the same measure of strength as pallet wrap does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Leal posted:

Is there a fast food parallel to this thread? Finished my first day and uh... Apparently I was hired as a shift lead, complete with a manager code.
Fast food is the same deal. My union covers both in fact.