Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

The 1980 Holiday Bowl taught us any time on the clock is a dangerous thing.

With two and a half to play, SMU had a 45-25 lead over BYU.

BYU won 46-45.

In my book, unless you're up four TDs with three minutes to go and the opponent has no timeouts, you could still lose.

There is also this comeback, its high school football, but its several onside kicks recovered in a row to come back from 41-17 with 3 minutes left. Bonus: hilarious ending to video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Cole posted:

I've heard people say speed is the reason the option won't work in the NFL since DBs and LBs can close on the ball so much quicker than college, but doesn't the speed of an NFL offense in comparison to a college offense compensate for that?

It isn't just speed though. Its the discipline of the defense. If the man assign the the pith takes his man and the man assigned to the QB takes his, the option doesn't do much, especially since the speeds are going to be about the same.

Still, if you want to imagine the speed argument, think of a peewee football game. Everyone on the field is 10 years old. Now imagine both the offense and defense gets a 13 year old who is bigger and faster. The biggest threat to take down the 13 year old is the other 13 year old. When one has the ball, he only really needs to account for the other to make a big play. That is what college football is like.

Now in the NFL, everyone is 13 and you occasionally have a 14 year old in the bunch (named Megatron).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I'm seriously considering cancelling my cable, but my only hangup is that I'll no longer be able to watch football (really the only thing I watch on it these days). What are some routes for watching football that don't go through me having basic cable (and won't offset the ~ $70-$80/month that I'll be saving)?

Step 1: Find local sports bar.
Step 2: Go to local sports bar.
Step 3: Watch football all day every day.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

I've seen a lot of crazy trick plays on offense such as the statue of liberty, hook and ladder, etc., and the more common attempts at deception such as the play-action pass and the draw play. What about trick plays/ deceptions on defense? Are there any?

The biggest thing that comes to mind is the "fake blitz". You will see like 7 guys right at the line of scrimmage, all with their motors going and flinching like crazy like they are about to tee off. Then all the LB's will drop into coverage at the snap. Its similar to the philosophy behind the 3-4 in that you don't know exactly who is coming, so its harder to call out protection ahead of time.

Sometimes they will try to disguise coverages too. Make it seem like its man/zone when its actually vice versa.

You can also have a delayed blitz, where a lineback will initially drop into coverage, and kind of like how a RB reads for gaps and lanes, they will shoot that gap. It works well in certain down and distance situations, especially if the offense is running a play that takes time to develop. However, this play itself also takes time to develop, and could leave a comeback route vulnerable.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

Man I remember a few years back watching Hawaii drop all 4 of their linemen into coverage. I had to go back and rewatch the play like a million time giggling like a little school girl.

That sounds hilarious, anything on youtube/whatever you can link?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

There is no thread for it. However, there is an entire forum!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=248

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

crm posted:

No, I have a flag football team and I want something to manage the roster / depth chart with.

Just use excel and google docs. I doubt you have a 53 man roster, or have to worry about who is going to long snap in an emergency situation.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

First pre-season game is just to get everyone up to game speed and used to playing with (lol) refs and subbing in and out and such. The starters play for a bit and then leave to avoid injury.

The 2nd game is where they typically run specific plays or get a guy a certain amount of snaps. Its where they want to try and determine starters at most positions. This is the game where they might try and experiment as well with new positions and such. They may also run the smae play 9-10 times simply to see which players understand it or run it best, or if its a staple of the offence, to make sure everyone knows what they are doing.

The 3rd is the "dress rehearsal" game as it was said. Its not the last, so it give the clear starters time to rest until the start of the season. But here, you should have all your starters figured out, and they should be up to game form before they are pulled. This is your best shot of seeing what the team will be like. Also, despite them opening the playbook a little more, the playcalling is still going to be conservative, or at the very least one dimensional.

The last game is cutting the roster. It actually can be one of the best because guys are literally on the field fighting for jobs. Most teams will be figuring out RB#3, WR 4/5/6, who the backup nickel CB is, things like that. Meanwhile, the starters may or may not play a series, but mostly are learning, advising, and staying healthy for week 1.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kibner posted:

Because the NCAA does it for them and gives better publicity than a normal minor league. The NFL also doesn't have to pay a dime.

The NFL also ensures that the NCAA is the de facto minor league by having the "can't enter the draft until 3 years out from highschool" rule. Also, they have pacts (I am not sure if they are written and legally binding, or just a gentlemen's agreement) that they rarely if ever show games at the same time. Thursday night football is really the only overlap, and that is a relatively new thing. Even the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl were moved to Jan 2nd this year, because January 1st was a Sunday.

Oh, Thanksgiving games also overlap, but otherwise the leagues don't try to compete.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

College Style OT is the best, but barring that they should drop the whole weird rules about a FG vs. a TD in the opening possession. They just say that each team is guaranteed a possession. After both teams have had the ball, and its still tied, it becomes sudden death.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Why isn't spiking the ball intentional grounding? It's the textbook definition of intentional grounding.

It has a special exemption in the rulebook.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

dokmo posted:

Before the snap, why does a QB point out who the mike is? (At least, I assume that's what I'm hearing him do.) Isn't this already known? I mean, are the defensive players pointing out the tight end? Also, why is it important to identify him?

Its more about pointing out who is going to bliyz and other such assignments. They may be pointing out who the FB/RB should block. And yes, defensive players always try to identify the eligible receivers, as well as the particularly dangerous players that you want to be able to double team.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It depends on a combination of things who/what is shouted out. Playing against Pittsburgh and the 46, you are going to call out Troy/SS. Playing against a base 4-3, its typically the Mike, or if the SS has crept into the box. Another kind of 3-4 and its probably the OLB.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

Nail on the head. Basically they are trying to get into the kickers head.

Also it fails. Although the data is limited, so far it appears to have the opposite affect.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, the only time there are Saturday games is in the post-season, and occasionally the last week of the season, when college is over.

The NCAA won't play games on Sunday, even though I guess they technically could. This past year, the traditional New Years Day bowl games were all moved to Jan 2nd, because Jan 1st was on a Sunday. The Rose and Sugar bowl were played on a Monday, which pissed a lot of people off because they had to work and couldn't watch the Rose Bowl.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I love the look on his face as he tries to comprehend why jets just flew overhead

Yeah, you could tell he had no idea that was coming. Also, the impressive part is that they don't even show any game footage, or even reactions from a sack or TD or a big play, and it still comes across.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

It looks like they only got permission to film until the game started, probably par for the course in the NCAA

More like par for the course for CBS/ESPN.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dirty Frank posted:

Can you go into more detail? I don't know what constitutes a penalty? (seems like a face mask pull should be a penalty?)

Almost all penalties are judgement calls which aren't reviewable. Holding, illegal blocks, pass interference etc. The only actual penalties that are reviewable are too many men on the field, and illegal forward pass (throwing the ball when you are past the line of scrimmage, or a second forward pass). I guess you can review illegal touching too, like on an onside kick to see if the ball does go ten yards before its scooped up, but all of those are pretty objective.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

causticBeet posted:

How long can we expect to see QB's like Manning and Brady for? Would it make sense for the Patriots to trade Brady before the end of career? Or is it a matter of just not giving him a contract?

As long as Brady is productive, he will be a Patriot. If his numbers start to slip, or the management see something they don't like, they will fleece some team for a 1st and 2nd, or at least a 1st.

Football players try too hard to hang on for too long. They always think they have more left to give, which results in most retirements coming after an injury, or after bouncing from team to team and getting cut. Look at Favre and McNabb and how their careers ended. Those are probably the biggest name franchise QB's to have retried recently. I have a feeling Manning will stay in Denver for another year or two, get traded or cut (because of the large contract) go to another team and retire within 5 years.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Bring back the days when winning your conference was what mattered, and nobody really cared who the national champion was. I like that better.

They still exist in the SEC, just like many other "old traditions."

racism

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sash! posted:

Before it turned out that he was evil, Joe Paterno filled out his own ballot.

He once tried to put three teams at #1, so they took away his vote.

They tried to take Spurrier's vote away when he kept listing Duke as #25 in the pre-season poll.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The NFL will follow the Big 10's lead and call eache division by some stupid name like Leaders and Legends.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rooster Brooster posted:

So this is explains why if a dude grabs the ball but slides into the endzone on a punt it's a touchback... I'd always thought it was where it's first touched, but the receiving team getting the best possible spot makes it make a whole lot more sense. Thanks!

There is also a difference between college and NFL rules with that regard. I always get them confused, but I think in college its where the player is and in the NFL its where the ball is.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

As Trin will tell you, technically correct is the best kind of correct.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

rjmccall posted:

So yeah, if the wide receiver is dumb enough to line up right next to the sideline, I'm pretty sure the cornerback can just shove them out immediately and ignore them forever (if they want to rely on the official catching that).

The exception allows him to come back into play, since he was forced out by the defender. There is another exception to the rule, and it has to do with the QB out of the tackle box. It happened to Tampa Bay last year, I can't remember the exact circumstances other than it seemed like horseshit to me at the time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

Ok it's embarrassing that I don't know this and I'm not sure how to phrase the question without being impossibly vague, but what's that Youtube song with the guy sort of singing incomprehensibly for a line or two before intelligibly singing the single word "footbaw!"?

You mean the TFF National Anthem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1KPQmdddY

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also more and more the elite pass rushers are now going after the RT since the LT is presumably the better player.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Cloud the Cat posted:

Perfect, Thanks! I'll check out the Bengals.

Follow anyone except the Pats, Cowboys, or Packers. Follow the Titans, there aren't any Titans fans here so they need some rep. Or you can join the cool kids club and follow the Dolphins.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Especially with how the NFL wants to crack down on concussions and the like, if a player receives two defensive personal fouls, why isn't there any harsher penalty (like removal from the game) than just the usual 15-yard penalties? Specifically I'm watching the TB/Jets game, and Dashon Goldson basically lit up two Jets players and sent them both out for concussion testing, netting him two personal fouls. And yet, I guess he can still go out there and play.

The league will fine the poo poo out of him. Suspensions aren't out of the question either.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

When they change the markings on the field, for example the Superbowl, how do they get rid of the old markings? I guess on grass, you could just wait long enough and mow it, but what if you don't have that kind of time? What about turf? I'm picturing some guy driving around on the field on some industrial carpet cleaning vehicle.

Pretty sure the paint is water soluble, so they just turn on the sprinklers. If not, they have green paint and can paint over it, then paint over that.

If it is actual grass, they can tear it up and put down fresh sod.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Why is lack of "playing under center" a valid criticism of college spread offense QBs transitioning to the NFL? What is its inherent benefit over playing out of the shotgun?

See 2006 Rex Grossman for more details.

But also its because of footwork, and being able to sell a valid play-action pass. In the evolving NFL where the run game isn't as important, the ability to play under center is also less important. Its mostly about getting the ball out of the QB's hands and the scheme.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SteelAngel2000 posted:

And vice versa, college football can't happen on Sundays. Which is why the Rose Bowl is always on a Monday if New Years Day happens to be on a Sunday

I think some of the lower tier bowls have Sunday games from time to time, but its usually due to logistics over competition and such.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sash! posted:

I wonder if there will be under the table pushback from the NFL if the NCAA playoff ever starts to creep deeper into January and NFL playoff season.

Probably not. The NCG has been in the middle of the week, so unless they are directly competing with a playoff game, which I doubt any network would really try to do, there shouldn't be an issue.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It took me forever to figure out what CLT was.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

I don't even think the CLT exists

What are you talking about? I am the CLT Commander.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Not sure where to put this and didn't want to create a new thread for a quick question, but are there any apps that stream radio broadcasts of football games? I have to drive this Sunday during gametime and would prefer a game to listen to over the regular radio.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

k3nn posted:

How much do superbowl tickets usually cost? Am I better off buying them early or waiting til the teams get decided? I'm planning to travel across to see it (as a UK-based Broncos fan this will be the first time I see my team play) but wondering what the cheapest way to attend it will be.

Ummm, how much are you willing to spend? Super Bowl tickets aren't easy to come by, even if you have tons of moeny to throw around. Also, there are lots of fakes so don't buy off of craigslist.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rap posted:

Cleveland, New York/New Jersey and New England all built new stadiums pretty recently and went with open-roof stadiums, primarily because of tradition and cost. Fans more than players or management would prefer it I think

Yeah, but fans are stupid. Just ask anyone in Texas about Tony Romo.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Benne posted:

Seattle built the CLink partly to entice Super Bowl bids but we can't even get that despite our mild winters and the stadium partially built to shield fans from the elements.

Super Bowl voters are dumb.

Wait til after this year when its only held in Tampa, Miami, Dallas, and San Diego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

Why don't they spread the Superbowl hosts move evenly? It's not like if they had the Superbowl in Green Bay or Buffalo people wouldn't show up.

because journalists want warm weather and nice amenities and they basically decide where its held. Also, wherever the NFL can make the most money by luring people to it and it actually happens to be in warm climates or tourist destinations. Its the same mentality with college bowl games.

• Locked thread