Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

https://imgur.com/a/bMBSSf1

e:

That officer is the woman in this gorgeous costume

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

mdemone posted:

That is sick, basically movie prop identical. How did she come by it?

I could ask her next time, but my impression is most of the pieces she modded a FO trooper kit and chromed it herself.

Oh and, now that I've got a few troops under my belt, it's time to roll some upgrades:

Also up: getting a new helmet. Current one is a modded Black Series helmet, but the top layer of paint is majorly chipping off the back so I can't wear the hood down (which also eliminates using it as part of a SKB or TLJ Kylo set without a lot more elbow grease).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

jivjov posted:

Which this does. Maul is well established as having criminal underworld connections by this point.

Maul's well established as being deader than a doornail by this point.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

OctoberCountry posted:

Yeah, the Dark Nest books killed my interest in the novels when I was younger. Stover is the only author I can remember who ever did "dark and grim" Star Wars well, but I'm sure those wouldn't hold up either if I ever tried re-reading them.

Stover's characters strive against the grim poo poo in his Star Wars books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which ones did you think didn't feel like a Star Wars ship?

Well, for one, basically any of the capital ships with only like 4 huge gun turrets. Some of those also fall into the second category of "too lightly retreaded", specifically Kylo's star destroyer from the beginning of TFA.

e: whereas, for example, the new stormtroopers, and the X-Wings, feel like a general cohesive shift in aesthetic, and are thus good.

e2: like, generally, in the OT, only the Death Star had gigantic visible laser turrets (and even then most of the laser fire came from emplacements too small in relation to the overall size of the vessels for us to see) and all the capital ships had loving tons overall of emplacements, so like what appears to be a capital ship of a size that's at least that of an Imperial ISD having half a dozen huge dangly laser turrets and torpedo tubes just seems a not-very-sensical step backwards in design.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 6, 2018

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

Another big one that sticks out is Han and Chewie's ship from the start of TFA. Something about that design just did not seem like it fit the aesthetics of Star Wars ship design.

Well that ones like, who knows what hole they dug that out of...

But the First Order ships should hew to Imperial fleet designs and conventions, which they went out of the way to do with reviving the TIE fighter design and using the general Star Destroyer shape. Which makes the weapon configurations on the capital ships very incongruous. The dreadnaught bombardment cannons in TLJ would even be acceptable if the ship’s regular turbolasers were more OT styled.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Our visit last year we spent a day at Animal Kingdom, but Flight of Passage was still super new and there was something like a 4 hour wait by 9:30. Fast pass wait times weren't a lot better.

It's why I'm going to give Star Wars Land three years or so before I try to go. The crowds we're bad enough as is.

We hit up Animal Kingdom one day this Christmas and since we Fast Pass'ed everything else we decided 3 hours for Flight of Passage wasn't so bad.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

Gonna disagree, Traviss is pretty poo poo. If you're going to read Legends EU stuff, skip Traviss and, like, re-read the Wraith Squadron books over and over or something.

Basically this.

Mercy Kill was a nice farewell, I guess.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The Bane Sith rules is actually one of the good things the prequel era franchise did.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

galagazombie posted:

It's kinda charming if you take it as two guys who just can't stay mad at each other and repeatedly have drunken tear-filled apologies every weekend.

Which explains why Han would even go to Cloud City in the first place. And as it turned out, whatever grudge Lando did or didn't hold over losing the Falcon was peanuts compared to whatever else was going on.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

"Setback" is not the term I would use. "Dodged bullet" feels more appropriate.

Imagine if Troy Denning wrote a whole Star Wars TV series.

In other content, I've booked my son into a session at Savi's in Disney World's Galaxy's Edge on 12/24.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hazo posted:

Be sure to share your experience in the Disney World thread in Tourism & Travel too. Remember you can only get white and yellow crystals in the Den of Antiquities, so plan your Savi’s crystal accordingly!

I was reading something about how people have encoded red crystals with the black crystal's info so maybe i won't have to run Baron Rivendare 450 times for the mount.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hazo posted:

The obsidian crystals function identically to the red crystals so I don’t know what kind of information would be encoded.

Regardless, you can’t sit there and try and and flashlight the packages to scalp on eBay anymore. They have a cast member posted up by the shelves who will throw you out if you start being weird. It was another one of those cool ideas for a special experience at Galaxy’s Edge that was instantly ruined by nerds and human nature, much like the roaming droids.

They do different things if you use them with the Jedi Holocrons (sold separately).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I haven't watched Star Wars yet but extremely online twitter idiots flooding my feed with simultaneous rage over Cats and RoS is like my catnip

of course, then there is Google sending me notifications every few hours of links to dumbass articles like "Rise of Skywalker is a crime against world building"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Ultimately I like Legends ending at Survivor's Quest better.

(Note: still haven't seen RoS yet)

However, I can't help but like that of the available EU Legends material we got something that looks somewhat like an adaptation of Dark Empire. And not like, Dark Nest.

Like, everything from generic plot items to elements of design. The Starkiller Base=Galaxy Gun, Star Destroyers with superlasers, cloning vats, return of Palpatine, mystical Force connections and confrontations, everything on down to the piped sleeves that are the only constant on Kylo Ren's costumes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 21, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

I wondered 'why not Korriban' instead of a new lost Sith world.

In my headcanon, the Jedi/Republic turned YetAnothetSithPlanerKiller back upon Korriban and wiped it out 20000 years ago after realizing there's no way to effectively fumigate it of Sith ghosts and artifacts.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Rise of the Resistance is so good, y'all. We did the trifecta today: smugglers run, lightsabers at savis, then rotr.

My son got to do left pilot on the Falcon: yaw, I did right pilot: pitch, but most importantly I got to pull the hyperspace jump levers. My wife got to do left gunner. Pulling the hyperspace levers is like a minor religious experience, it is so good. Like the only way it might be improved upon was if it did the whirwhirwhir and fail the first pull when jumping back to Batuu, and that is not for certain an improvement, because the basics are so good.

RotR the ride itself is whatever. The pre-ride stuff is goddamn awesome.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 25, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

Why did they ever decide that Daala was the one who ought to run the New Republic?

Presumably because she was banging hero of the universe Boba Fett at the time

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Rey can also hold a hover, which is a difference from merely slowing a fall.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
NJO killed Chewie and Anakin, though.

Mercy Kill was cool because you find out most of the Wraiths who survived Solo Command are still around 40 years later (except Runt, poor Runt) and mostly get their happy endings, including the one couple you really pull for

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

How are u posted:

I hadn't read this thread since 2017 and figured I'd continue where I left off. This quote from the first page that loaded :monkeyspaw:

Since they (and I'm including George Lucas in that "they") were bound and determined to keep the "main" Star Wars movies about the Skywalkers picking bits and pieces of Dark Empire to be inspired by is pretty much the best thing they could've done.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

This can only end well

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am tempted to pick that up at somepoint. i mean the Revenge of the sith book was actually pretty good.

Yeah but they didn't get Matt Stover for this one...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

The sequel trilogy is a mess. Its net positive accomplishment was finally stopping what the EU had become. I mean can you imagine what Denning would be writing right now if they hadn't put an end to it?

All they gotta do is hire him again and we're back to square one. And he's probably not among the worst possibilities here.

It's kind of sad, really.

Lmao, I just remembered that quote from some article from around DN-LotF where Denning had to convince the higherups that making Jacen and Tenel do a impregnation-for-fleet thing would be a good thing. Yeah, whoever's running that shitshow needs to have the exact right instincts to outright cancel books and authors when they come up with poo poo like that.

One Aaron Allston thing that he put in the Wraith Squadron books that stuck with me was like ... hmmm ... like, the evil scientist who was behind Zsinj's brainwashing/intellect enhancement projects, after she'd been captured, she spent tons of time locked up in her quarters on Mon Remonda, and one of the things she was watching was an Imperial documentary on tightrope walkers on Coruscant, and because it was an Imperial movie about the topic, it necessarily suppressed the message and tone and story that it told in such a way that the people who did that always had a tragic end.

That's what I think was thinly-veiled commentary on the stories told about the Skywalkers (huh!) and also the reversion-to-normativeness with the inter-species relationships from the earlier X-Wing books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 28, 2020

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The real problem with the "take the EU out back and shoot it" narrative is that by and large the dudes responsible for making the EU an irredeemable trash pile are still in charge and the perverse incentives for ruining it are still in place while most of the sensible one have either died or been muscled out.

Chairman Capone posted:

The thing is, the exact same people who greenlit all of the terrible Denning ideas are still in charge, at both Lucasfilm and Del Rey. The big change is in the comics, as well as the supposed Story Group/equal continuity mandate. And it's pretty clear that the claim that the movies are going to be beholden to the spinoff media is not true beyond the fact that the spinoff media will be kept from stepping on any potential movie toes and will retcon any inconsistencies that emerge from the movies ignoring the spinoffs, which is exactly what the case was for the EU before the Disney reboot.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

I'm probably going to regret this, but what makes you think Abrams and Terrio went "up the chain" to ignore the story group other than the story group was ignored? This is what we've been telling you for years. The story group will probably keep books and comics in continuity with each other, but the moment a filmmaker wants to ignore them they'll have no teeth. This was the first example of the story group maybe having teeth, and they did nothing.

Also, out of curiosity, what started this? What part of TROS contradicted some previously established plot point?

I doubt that this was the actual "first example".

This is just the first example people wanted to fit the narrative around to gripe about for whatever dumb reason (like the wishful thinking that led them to believe anything that came out of a a villain's mouth multiple times from the previous movie).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Boba Fett won again I guess

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

*checks quickly to see if this is one of the Star Wars threads I’m OP for*

Oh good, I don’t have to do poo poo.

Also, read Lost Stars by Claudia Gray. It’s great.

There was a sigh of relief when the AMOL thread went away even though I didn't have to do much there either

In dorkier news, I got a new Legacy Kylo saber from when I went to Galaxy's Edge this winter, and my new replacement Kylo bucket arrived this last month. This one is slightly smaller than the Black Series modded hat, so it looks more proportional with the rest of the costume, and I can still pretty well barely jam it over my admittedly oversized head. It also has a motorized mouthpiece, but I don't see myself using that much.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 3, 2020

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cross-Section posted:

BEEP BOOP *cannon fires*

*flamethrower thumbs up*

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Ya well nothing really beats the dumbass poo poo they did during and past NJO sooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Teek posted:

Reminded him of the Bane trilogy, different but familiar enough:

In basically every way the Bane trilogy is just as bad as any of the Bounty Hunter trilogy so idk.