Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I am very curious about the joke, please post it here if you find it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Earth is on a tilt in respect to its orbital plane, which is what gives us seasons. The Summer solstice is the exact moment when that tilt is pointed directly towards the sun. Summer solstice on one hemisphere is Winter solstice for the other.

Actually, does the tilt follow the geographical or magnetic poles? Or how does that work?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What's wrong with cash on pickup?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SIHappiness posted:

I've heard of this in the vaguest sense. It came up during the battle to pass HIPAA back in the 90's. Motorcycle forums and sites all seem to have the story of a "friend of a friend" who wasn't covered, etc. The general gist seems to be that while there are certainly policies that don't, they're rather unusual.

If you're personally concerned about it, you should first contact your provider or your company's HR rep if the company is big enough. Assuming you aren't covered, your motorcycle insurance is going to need to have a big-rear end medical rider added to it.

My insurance had a big checkbox for having a motorcycle and/or being a diver, both of which would make the price a lot higher. I guess statistically motorcycle drivers fall and die a lot more than the rest of us.
I am in Denmark though, things could be different.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Contingency Plan posted:

Football: When England is in the World Cup and the Euro championship, their Scottish neighbours have the ABE sentiment: Anyone But England. I can understand because compared to Scotland, England is a larger and more populous nation, but I have to wonder: Are there any other rivalries that play out along the same lines? Does Austria have an Anyone But Germany sentiment? Does New Zealand cheer on whoever's facing Australia?

It all comes down to getting an outlet for all the national dislike of neighbours. In Scotland, England can be seen as a big old oppressing empire full of posh wankers, so obviously you want those guys to lose. There's usually something similar going on in all the countries that are next to other countries. In Denmark, the main enemy is Sweden, because they are stupid and their language sounds silly and they're probably drunk and we've been at war with them so many times. It's usually not very serious though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How much spam mail will I get for using that?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

miryei posted:

Stupid question: How easy is it to tell someone's place of origin via their accent, if you are not fluent in the language that they are speaking?

I was in Portugal recently, being assisted by a shopkeeper (mostly in gestures) and some guy walked up and asked if I was from England. The shopkeeper immediately and correctly responded "No, American" even though I hadn't mentioned that previously. I assumed that she'd picked up on my accent, which is a generic American, but my dad assumed she'd picked up on my coloring, which is definitely not British. Which is more likely, or a combination thereof? If it had been my husband, who has my accent but is much paler, would she have assumed she was from England, America, or other?

American and British accents are kind of easy to tell apart (as a Dane), but there is a large chance that it's an attitude thing as well. Generally speaking, Americans tend to be, for lack of a better word, obnoxious as hell. As in you seem to ask more questions, talk more to strangers and to expect the same of your surroundings.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The real issue is that ketchup objectively tastes like poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON NATURAL MELLOWING AGENTS FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 6, 2012

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I said all thing being equal. Clearly, all not things were not equal. The market forces that resulted from the sudden shrinking of the labor market easily eclipsed whatever social benefits the nobility might have gained now that the peasants didn't outnumber them as heavily as before. But that doesn't mean the benefits weren't there.

What did the gentry produce that might benefit from a higher percentage of the population? As far as I can see, they produced organization and a bit of war, which largely consisted of sending the peasants off to be killed. And having relatively more people to live off organization doesn't really mean that it gets any better, in fact, it means less tax income per nobleman.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

N. Senada posted:

How should I feel about Putin? I was under the impression he was not a too great a dude, but after overhearing a conversation about him I realized I don't really know anything.

You should feel that he is essentially a dictator who does a lot of bad things, but mostly you should feel that he is an awesome dude because of his amazing PR machine: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/09/vladimir-putin-action-man/100147/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hoops posted:

Prague is a pretty old, cultured city with a pretth vibrant concert scene, yeah. Not really more than other European capital cities though. The Czech republic isn't a weird backwards Soviet Bloc country or anying, it has borders with Germany. I think it's technically classed as Eastern Europe but it's far from Kazakhstan or something.

Kazakhstan may be eastern and ex-soviet, but it is not European. The Czech Republic is very much Eastern Europe, though I think it's getting on a bit better than some of the other countries.
And for the original question: Aside from what has been mentioned, there's the historical thing, where Prague was actually a major European capital before all that world war stuff, and as such had a lot of skilled musicians and concert halls, and the tradition is probably carried on by one dude leaving the orchestra and a new guy joining, so the orchestras survive with high standards. The Soviets probably encouraged them as well, since symphonic music is all about everyone pulling their load for the greater good of the piece, just like the ideal society.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The thing about instant coffee is that it tastes like poo poo, and thus it is not very well suited for getting used to the taste of coffee. Also, generally, the more expensive the coffee, the less bitter it gets, so unlike whiskey, it's actually a good idea to start with the good stuff.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I only use beans from local roasters, so I wouldn't know what's in those, but generally speaking, espresso blends are a mix of arabica (the good bean) and robusta (the cheap and bitter bean). This makes for a stronger and more bitter taste, which some people may like, but still isn't the most accessible. Try to find 100% arabica coffees, preferably a light roast, that way you can actually taste the nuances of coffee instead of just caffeine. For those of you who actually drink coffee already, try getting a 100% robusta and a 100% arabica and brew them the same way and taste the difference. It's quite a lot of difference.

Also, I wouldn't trust a Turk on coffee, what with Turkish coffee often being with cardamom.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Giant Squid posted:

Is it common for left-handed kids who are just learning their ABC's to write words right to left and "mirror" their letters?

Why would they? right-handed Arabic kids don't write left to right either. There's no reason to assume a connection between what way you write and what hand you use.

Cakefool posted:

:allears: Coffee snobs.

:allears:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Email thing: Do what the others have told you, but use the new, smart sounding one for your primary account, and get everything from the immature one forwarded to the new. People who write you wont notice the change, people who you regularly write will easily notice that you've changed if you sign the first couple of mails, and they'll probably like you better for it too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

While we're on the subjects of Americans being horrible at tea, Douglas Adams wrote a short piece about just that: http://www.h2g2.com/approved_entry/A61345

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

This is a really stupid question. Coffee is really loving hot, yet I see people at my workplace and coffee shops that drink it right after they get it. I have to let it chill for a while before tasting it just so I don't burn my goddamn taste buds off. At work I usually toss a few ice cubes in. Am I strange case or are there just people with superhuman tongues? I got some coffee at Starbucks last evening and burned my tongue even after letting the stuff cool for several minutes with the lid off, but my girlfriend had already drank half of hers. And I still can't taste properly today :(:coffee:

I too suffer from low tolerance to hot beverages, it's perfectly normal. Coffee also develops its taste as it cools. Bad coffee goes from tasting mostly of hot to tasting mostly of bad, while good coffe goes from hot to interesting. I know championship baristas who will let their coffee cool down before drinking to get the best taste.

You can cold-brew coffee by the way, but it's usually done overnight and gives a distinctly powerful taste.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Theologically, during the interim period between Joan of Arc's burning at the stake and her canonization, was she in hell?

I believe God is the ultimate authority in these matters, and He's also always right, unlike the church which is technically fallible. So my guess is that she got burned, God brought her up to heaven and the Church said she was in hell, until they realized they were wrong and made her a saint.

Edit: I'm not any sort of expert, this just makes sense to me.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 24, 2012

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

the Good Samaritan law requires bystanders to provide assistance.

This got me thinking: When in history did the Good Samaritan story become mainly about helping people? Jesus' main point was basically that Jews can be dicks and non-jews can be good people too, so stop being an elitist rear end in a top hat and start being nice, but you only ever hear of it as a story about helping people.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Google Chrome question: How do I get the top bar with the web page title back in my browser, even when it's maximized? I use two screens and I like to be able to drag the browser around a lot, but I also like having lots of tabs, but it seems I can't have both?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No I definitely want to move my window around, preferably without having to hit a really small area small area. Actually, preferably without having to even look at what I'm doing, since I like to turn my one screen around and sit in weird places where I can't see the other screen.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I haven't read the books, but I believe that the "good vampires" call themselves herbivores because they don't drink human blood, only animals, and the werewolves literally turn into carnivores obviously.

In what way is animal blood a vegetable?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark at least, we recently got a law saying that you absolutely need to tell people that your website is using "cookies". It smells a lot like the politicians finding out about "computers" "broadcasting an "IP address" and regulating it because they figure it might be harmful, without understanding it at all.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hooah posted:

I had oral surgery about a week and a half ago, and have been on a soft diet since. I've got at least until Friday, and I'm getting tired of soup and oatmeal as my main courses. What are some other suggestions that don't require much chewing?

Hummus. Massive amounts of it. It's the best food.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Also try not to tip it up too much.

Sort of obvious in the same vein: Duct tape the thing shut

Also keyboard guy: Remember your shortcuts. I once mapped ctrl+c to ɕ and ctrl+v to ʋ. This surprisingly turned out to be incredibly stupid.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I need (want) to get coins for boardgaming that are actual metal coins, and so I thought I might get actual foreign currency, because that should be relatively cheap. However, currency websites are set up for people who know what currencies they're interested in instead of people who just want the cheapest currency available. Basically, I want coins with visible numbers, preferably in denominations of 1, 2 5 and 10. Any help is appreciated!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DNova posted:

Do you just need a couple of each, or a ton of them like a set of poker chips?

Somewhere in between, I guess like 20 or 30 of each denomination.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I finally joined the 21st century and got myself a laptop. But now I struggle to integrate it with my sound system. I have a good old amplifier and speakers with the usual phono exits, and so far I've been using a 10 meter phono/minijack cable to tie it together. This is wildly impractical. What is my best bet for a wireless solution?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hooah posted:

Depending on what your threshold for good audio quality is, you could get a Bluetooth receiver and the appropriate adapters to connect it to your amp (assuming your laptop does Bluetooth).

That's basically what I thought, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe I just suck at looking, but I only found one sketchy-looking product.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I got a bluetooth audio receiver to link my laptop and my stereo, but it turns out that there's a delay of around 300ms, which is really annoying when watching speech. Mostly I'm watching stuff using VLC, which has a synchronization feature, but YouTube and Netflix and so on do not, which is annoying. Is there anything I can do to make all sound be played a set amount of time before any related video?

Alternatively: Can you set VLC or a comparable program to always put a negative delay on the sound when using a specific audio device?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So, I've been tasked with finding a new printer for the department of dialectology. These guys keep everything on small pieces of paper, that they need to scan and copy onto similarly sized small pieces of paper. The sizes are custom, and they vary a bit depending on age. There is quite a bit of printing going on, so I'm thinking laser, but other than that I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Birb Katter posted:

I can't give you a recommendation but may I suggest you pop into the printer megathread in SH/SC

Of course, I should have thought of that myself. Thanks!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So, I'm kinda involved in a research project that involves using facebook data. We want to save timelines as close to the original layout as possible, but with all comments expanded, and as much history as possible. Preferably with the text preserved as text if possible. How would one go about doing something like that? So far, our solution is long-rear end screenshots, but that takes ages and doesn't really grant that good results.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Golbez posted:

When and how was it decided that 2 hours was the best/median length for a movie, and 4-5 minutes for a song?

It's a gradual thing in both cases I think. Early rock'n'roll has a lot of two minute songs, which got gradually longer, with some fun stuff going on in the seventies and "classic rock" being way longer. I think it's the same with movies.

How is a combination of trial and error and probably a lot of focus groups and crap.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's worth noting that the pecking order was like:
The actual movies - absolute word of god
Novelizations of the movies and the radio dramas they did on PBS - slightly less important, but they didn't really add anything important either.
(imagine like 10 empty levels here)
A few of the games set in other time periods - more important than the extended universe stuff, but if a movie disagreed at all the movie took precedence
(imagine like 50 empty levels here)
The non-movie novels, all of the hundreds of them. All equally as valid as the rest, which is to say, not at all because anything established in them was free to be stomped over by a different series of books, let alone the movies or the games or the official novelizations/radio dramas.

Um, that's just not correct. It went more like
Movies
Force Unleashed and animated series
Most of the books and video games
Old books that could be safely disregarded
Explicitly non-canon stuff like the holiday special

Either you're trolling or you're thinking of Star Trek, which does pretty much work like you say. Or you're George Lucas.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I want to run a cable from one room to another, and it needs to cross in front of a door. My plan is just to run it up one side of the door and down the other (so no one trips on it). Given that I'm renting and therefore can't screw hooks into the wall or anything, how can I stick it up there? I've got Blu-Tack holding it there at the moment, but it looks like it might fall down pretty easily.

These things. I have no idea what they're called, but your hardware store should have them. Pictured is both one in-use (has been sitting there for five years doing exactly what you need) and an unused specimen.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Xandu posted:

Is there any way to bypass Java's security settings in the browser? I need it to run on a site that doesn't meet Java's requirements, but the exception list won't work.

Java is a massive bitch. It may help to fiddle with Javas general security settings, which hilariously go from "medium" to "very high", or to downgrade the version or something. But really, gently caress Java.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

Hinterland vs. Metropole (see also "periphery and core") is more common academically in development/economic circles based on theories from the 60s and 70s (I.e., "Staples Theory" in Canada or World Systems Theory generally). Heartland is sometimes used instead of metropole, where the hinterland is a place "behind" or outside of the heartland. The American usage is kind of ironic because the "heartland" of America is basically a horrible shithole for thousands of kilometres and it makes no sense to consider places like NYC as the periphery except maybe geographically.

American self perception is in a lot of ways centered on local communities and small towns more than big cities and diversity. From that perspective, calling the midwest the heartland makes sense, because it's where the true Americanness and moms apple pie is, as opposed to NYC yuppies with their ruccola and whole grain multiculturalism and lack of support for ARE TROOPS.

Also, heartland is not used in most of Europe because we speak moon languages. So you might have a Canadian heartland, various British heartlands, an Irish heartland and an Australian heartland, but not a German or Danish one.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

It varies from airport to airport as well. I used to live in the Seattle area, and no matter what airline you were on the baggage handlers took forever to get everything unloaded. It wasn't unusual to wait 45 minutes for the carousel to start going.

It's mostly this I think. How much staff per bag does the airport have basically, plus extra time for actually getting stuff from the plane to the carousel. Less staff means stuff takes longer, but more staff means expensive staff downtime outside of peak hours. And just regular paying more money I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Exactly, the problem with dark matter is not that it's far away, it that it's impossible to get a hold of. It's like touching a ghost, except the ghost is invisible and there is no ectoplasm.