Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

hooah posted:

I saw a sport on TV yesterday that I haven't seen before. It was somewhat like lacrosse, but instead of a net, the end of the stick had a sort of paddle that was a little canted. Also, you could pick the ball up and carry it for a while. Anyone know what this is?

Sounds like hurling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Da Monk posted:

What's the name of the homepage, where one can check boxes with freeware like firefox, winrar, AVG antivirus etc. and download one installer for them all?

http://ninite.com/

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

hooah posted:

Am I missing a quick way to view the info about an image in Chrome? I.e. in Firefox I can right-click and choose "view image info."

You need an extension to do this easily: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/khagclindddokccfbmfmckaflngbmpon

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Up to $1000 includes $0.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

Semi-related tangent...
The people we historically consider savages because they have limited technology are not the ones maiming the earth and suicidally fighting in the name of nationalism and religion. It's actually only the "civilized" societies that do that. Tribal people think it's irrational to go into battle to die for an abstract cause.

I thought the latest evidence from archaeology and anthropology showed that violent death is/was much, much more common in tribal societies than civilised societies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Before_Civilization

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Econosaurus posted:

I have a PDF that was saved with 2 pages per page. If that doesn't make sense, it's horizontal with two pages next to each other. Is there a program or way to automatically split all the pages and put them in order so it's one page of the document per pdf page?

That's probably just a viewing option. On If you're using Adobe Reader, you can change it as follows: View > Page Display > Single Page View.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

I'm looking to remember the name of a painter.

Things I know.

-May be French
-Black and white pictures
-His paintings are stories which contain 5 slides.
-Some of his topics are about the rise and fall of prostitutes and one was about the marriage of a poor and rich family.
-Absolutely FILLED with small details. You could watch one of his paintings for hours and find new stuff.

Some of the details are off, but I think you're after William Hogarth. Your fourth point matches A Harlot's Progress and Marriage à-la-mode.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

2) When talking about puns, there often is a joke going like this :"I sent ten puns to a pun contest, but no pun in ten won". Or something very similar; my question is: what is the pun here?

"I sent ten puns to a pun contest hoping at least one would win, but no pun in ten did."

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

What would happen if you lined up a row of dominoes, but each domino was progressively infinitesimally larger than the last one? So you start with a regular sized domino, then say 1,000,000 dominoes later you end up with one the size of a door? And then you push the first domino, would it end up knocking over the door-sized one?

My brain says no, but my heart, my stupid stupid heart says it would.

Most of the energy used to knock over the next domino would come from setting up the current domino in the first place, not the initial push on the first domino.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

dokmo posted:

What that means is, very roughly, that after taking GDP per citizen into account, each 5°C decrease in mean yearly temperature is associated with about 6 months extra lifespan.

Finally, the evidence I need to convince my wife that we should move to the south pole.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Hey, come over here and sit on my lap. No, it's not a sexual thing, I'm just relaxed. Can you jiggle around a bit? Yeah, that's good, now I'm really relaxed.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's a good RSS reader? Newsblur is pissing me off with their 30 day limit.

Feedly.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I've been taught to refer to corporations as "it" in writing, not "they/their" but I'm assuming I can use "they" to refer to more than one company.

Would "they" be correct in this sentence? : (referring to Coca Cola and Pepsi or something). "Between the two companies, they account for 95% of the consumer soft-drink market"

Of course - what else would you say? "Between the two companies, its account for 95% of the consumer soft-drink market"?

By the way, referring to individual corporations as "they" is common and accepted in British English.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Ah no, I wasn't clear. It's a description of the situation, a description of why it drives people to laughter. Something grandeur macabre I dunno.

Grand Guignol?

syscall girl posted:

L'esprit de l'escalier. Wait, no it'll come to me later.

I get it.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

What is this thing?

That's an aardvark, dude.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

What about something like =IF(SUM(F$1:F3)>SUM(F$1:F2),SUM(F$1:F3),""), which would avoid the hidden column?

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Jeza posted:

Blackadder Back & Forth

There are things of which man is not meant to speak.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

How common is the first base/second base/etc. metaphor for sex in England where they don't really play baseball? Are there similar expressions referring to soccer or croquet or whatever?

We use cricket positions instead. The ultimate goal is to reach silly mid on.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

As for deaths in UFC: I don't know, but you're just as capable of googling the answer as I am. I can't imagine there's many, if any.

There was one on Monday: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/04/12/conor-mcgregor-mma-fighters-death-after-dublin-match-is-heartbreaking/

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Panglossian?

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

So! The question: I was told, as a small child, that this type of song is called a "round". But try as I might I cannot find any other references to this type of singing/arrangement as being "a round". Does this type of arrangement have a term?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_(music)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

USMC_Karl posted:

That's pretty tough when you are trying to clean up "A module connected to the substrate having two sensors measuring a temperature of external air suctioned through an inlet having a predetermined inlet diameter is connected to the substrate to transmit temperature information of the external air suctioned through the inlet to an external device in a wireless manner." (I know this seems like an exaggerated sentence, but it really isn't.)

"There is a module that uses two sensors to measure the temperature of external air sucked through an inlet of a predetermined diameter. This module is connected to the substrate to transmit the measured temperature to an external device in a wireless manner."