Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

photomikey posted:

Except when you're from an alcoholic background.

Look, I don't pass any judgement on people who drink, nor on people who don't. If it was his 21st birthday I'd have different advice. But his story and his age paint a different picture. You're 31, had an alcoholic father, have never drank, and want to try a new hobby? Spectacular. HiFi audio equipment, cigars, cheeses, coffees, fast cars, whatever. gently caress, this forum introduced me just yesterday to people who debate the merits of flashlights online. None of that stuff plays to the addictive nature. Try any of that.

If you live in a country with extensive public transit, then it's different. But drunk driving kills more people in the US annually than any modern war has since 1945, and it just keeps doing so. Car accidents are the number on cause of death in several different age groups, and that is largely a function of impaired driving.

Alcohol's at the heart of domestic violence in the US, and the number one cause of death of certain age groups/cohorts of women is domestic violence.

Start taking any drug but alcohol.

The reason why people do pass judgment is that it is so rarely that people with trouble with alcohol keep their troubles to themselves. It's enough to make you need a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Namarrgon posted:

"Don't tell your current boss you are looking for a new job" is on the same level as "shower at least once a day" as far as life advice goes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2969141/As-revealed-80-cent-women-dont-shower-day-guess-women-showers-just-week.html

You Brits are nasty.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

First Base: Kiss

Second Base: Bare Boobies

Third Base: Bare Bottom

Home Plate: Bare bottom inertion

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

And I don't quite know how to react to that, I know a coworker's weird rear end fetish.

I think you found a person you cannot trust though, for free. There are two possibilities at play here.

Imagine how loose someone's mouth is if they talk about what happened in a bedroom (or in this case a bathroom) with a lover.

I think it also says something to you about yourself, that you tend to believe it.

I kind of feel like someone who lets information like this out is either childish and untrustworthy, or equally likely, the kind of liar who uses people's natural tendency to believe things they are told "in confidence" to spread lies about other people to get ahead in some weird way.

(and I hope to god "Sara from Accounting" was a joke phrase, rather than an actual description.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

:siren:Piss fancier spotted!:siren:

Actually I AM Sara from Accounting, and that boy asked if he could piss on me first. I just got into it once he started.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Kings Of Calabria posted:

If making out with Kara from RDU in an elevator once a year is wrong I don't want to be right.

But if she asks you to piss on her, and you tell people about it, that would be wrong.

Just for future reference.

But you can tell us.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Most normal elements are ions when isolated, they just usually aren't because they've already reacted. And now you know why himalayan salt lamps are a load of poo poo! :eng101:

Tell me more. (I don't even know what a Himalayan Salt lamp is.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Germans like to Do Things Properly and the sim games allow them to experience things like driving a truck Properly or managing a farm Properly without any of the physical or financial risks involved in doing those jobs for real. Kind of similar to how we in America have a lot of games about shooting people in the face.

And Japan has games where we get to look out a schoolgirl's panties.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I think I made it clear I wanted to be the one looking out of the schoolgirl's panties.

That anime seems to be about schoolgirls wearing panties on their own heads.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The usual reason for retroacive pay is some sort of bookkeeping that showed a incorrect pay rate, or (more commonly in my experience) pay given to people who were classed a contractors who an audit shows were required to be classed as employees.

In the latter case, an outstanding employer retrocatively bump the pay rate to cover the self employment tax that the contractor is assumed to have to have paid.

I have not had much experience with outstanding employers though.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

PS: my new startup "Church of the Enormous rear end in a top hat" has meetings every Tuesday at the YMCA locker room, all are welcome. Bring money.

Dicks out from the start, or only once the service starts?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I had no idea so many of the Stupid/Small Questions Megathread people were godless foreigners.

And I am not saying whether that means because they don't know what a Charleston Chew is, or because they live in C*n***.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't know about contracts although it wouldn't surprise me, but I have heard at least one actor talk about pressure from the showrunners to have a twitter account and actively interact with the fans.

Any public figure who is not paying a social media tendering company to do their social media for them is being shockingly dumb on a couple of levels. You have to think at least agents who depend on their clients not self-immolating to make a living get that by now. If a TV show does not similarly understand that, there's a lot of drugs being done to keep them isolated from reality.

Anyone who depends on the public not hating them to make their living should look at Iggy Azalea as a hallmark case of why celebs should themsleves stay the gently caress off of social media, and let someone do it for them.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 9, 2016

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Counterpoint: Trump

If you don't think Trump does not have a not small army of people crafting his image for him, then it must be a strange experience for you when you watch 'reality' TV.

Actually I think at some point the Casey Affleck is going to come forward with details.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

Why does it sound Chinese when you play only the black keys on a piano?

Many songs written for The Who are played on only the black keys, because Pete Townshend taught himself to play piano. I am not sure Quadrophenia has ever been referred to as sounding Chinese.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Don't use dropbox to share unless you are using the business version.

OneDrive is actually pretty decent and actually can serve videos for streaming, unlike DropBox

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

OK, here is a truly stupid question that seems obvious at first glance but on the other hand...

So, I have a Capital One 360 account. Like many bank accounts, I can take a picture of a check I've received and endorsed, upload it to the website, and it gets deposited, whereupon I destroy the physical check.

Let's say I have a $100 bill. Why can't I deposit the money in a similar manner, sending a video of me destroying the bill itself as the money is desposited (assume for the sake of argument that the website could verify it's not a counterfeit bill)?

Ignoring the verification of the bill and the destruction, you are forgetting the very real cost of making currency of all sorts.

Suppose "they" allowed this process, and charged $15.00 for the convenience per bill destroyed.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mortley posted:

This is a shot in the dark because it's about one line from a book I don't remember - all I do remember is that it was about anthropology, and it had a quote from some tiny society that lived on a minuscule island - maybe Easter Island, or another island with Polynesians? The point is, you could hear the ocean from anywhere, so they asked the anthropologist, as if in disbelief, "is it true some people live where they can't hear the sea?"

Any clue what book, or what people, that quote might pertain/belong to?

This does not help find the book, but on some of the islands of the Pacific, since many are small volcanic islands with a huge percentage of the population living within a stone's throw of the sea, because geography and food sources, the ocean is pretty much a constant sound.

There are still lots of places in the Pacific where people do not have to shop for food, just rice.

Of course on any island with cars and populations, the noise of cars replaces the ocean sounds pretty completely.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I currently make 15 an hour, 40 hours a week so an annual income of roughly 31,200. No benefits, no sick days. The only time off I get are vacation days and I dont get too many. Also some paid holidays. Also I live in the Phoenix, Arizona if that matters.

My boss has recently given me the option of working on a 1099 (Private contractor status) at 17.50 an hour. Im aware of most of the downsides of a 1099 (doing all your own taxes quarterly, no paid holidays etc) but what Im curious about is if I would actually make more money this way? Or if the tax rate Id be paying with the 1099 would make the extra 2.50 an hour irrelevant since the gain in income would be offset by taxes?

The usual figure is that employees cost 1.5 times their hourly wage.

But there is few benefit for you in becoming a contractor, so unless you are going to double your hourly rate to $30.00...

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I suppose I could wander somewhere else in SA but I just want a quick short answer to these questions, and a half-rear end google search reminds that people are way too into sports to answer stupid questions from people only slightly interested in things:

What happened to the Montreal Canadiens this year? WIll they miss the playoffs?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

If you get no help here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457316

(The Google Chrome thread.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

What's a good way to convert MKV to MP4?

Handbrake as mentioned is good. Batch conversion is nice. On Mac cmd+B is your friend.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I think its best to just assume that all of your communications are observed and recorded by a number of corporations and government entities and you will never find out who all of them are nor prevent them from doing so unless you go into the wilderness and live off the grid as a hermit

And put your mailbox on another street. I heard that keeps mail away from your house.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

There was a quote I saw in an article sometime in the past few months. It was from around the advent of the first newspapers, and about how they were going to ruin society in some way or another; can anyone refer me to that quote, or a better thread to ask about it?

EDIT: If it helps, I think the article was a response to something about how Twitter/cell phones/texting is ruining society.

This might be a harder search than you think. This argument goes all the way back to Socrates who insisted learning to read (writing being a recent innovation) would kill people's ability to think.

I have heard some version of this (currently focusing on attention span and Twitter, or the death of the monoculture) , but whatever, at every step e-mail, cell phones, IRC, chat rooms, BBS, etc of the modern things. But this has been a non-stop issue for older folks for the history of mankind.

Comic Book Code is a less current but still still modern moral panic. Radio, television, education and property rights for women, freeing the slaves, separating voting rights from holding land.

Pick and issue and you can find a conservative (even though many don't realize they are yet) who 'recognizes' the death of _______ society.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Are marriages performed by ships' captains legitimate, and do airline pilots have the same credentials, and if not why not?

Ship captains are given the ability to do a number of thing because every ship has a captain, and ship voyages can take years.

Which means to only way to keep a child from being born illegitimate (which in different times and places carried some serious repercussions, such as never legally existing) is if a captain can perform marriages.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Do animals get allergies?

Assuming inflammation from bee stings is an allergic reaction, dogs and cats definitely do. There is a whole subreddit dedicated to dogs stung by bees, and another one dedicated to cats sting by bees.

And man they is swole.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Taeke posted:

Of course, I've heard it mentioned so often by friends but since I don't do any editing it never crossed my mind, thanks!

He immediately hits me with a follow-up: He needs to be able to scan printed documents and convert them to text. He tells me Word and OpenOffice aren't capable of doing this, and he previously used something called ABBYY Finereader OCR, which doesn't work since he upgraded to Windows 10. Anyone got a solution?

Isn't this something Google Docs can do now?

Also think about Evernote though you have to pay at some point.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

photomikey posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with them, but turning off my ad blocker is unbearable, and white listing sites one by one seems torturously slow.

Doesn't just seem tortuously slow, is tortuously slow.

But the sites are full of poo poo about this.

If people really want to deliver ads on their sites (in other words, if they want to make money from the site), then they need to treat ads as part of THEIR content, and subject each individual ad to whatever level of editorial scrutiny they do their content.

If a site cannot be assed to care about what I see as a page viewer when I visit their site, (and that's what they are saying by using an ad server service), then gently caress them. They are expecting to be paid for inconveniencing me, instead of doing some work.

There are real costs to gif ads, flash ads, etc on the end user side.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

ZoeDomingo posted:

One of my friends (and his) read the email he sent and said he sounds like a pod person.

You started showing private e-mails written to you, to other people to try and get those people, friends of his, to dislike your ex....

I'd say there is probably a lot of story here that you may not be fully aware of, but plenty of people around you are.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I have just run across the seeming fact that people use Xanax as a recreational drug.

Why?

(I have used it as a prescribed muscle relaxant, and other than letting me sleep, I cannot see why anyone would take it.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anybody who asks an open-ended question about a random topic who does not like the way someone (who is giving freely of their time) answers the question needs to log off, turn off the computer and go outside for a while.

It's not on the answerer to do anything but answer. It's sometimes better if they have some knowledge about things, but even if they don't, often the incorrect answer draws better corrections than the original question could by being better tuned, so to speak. People are more likely to correct an error than answer a question. very few people write Wikipedia articles from whole cloth. Lots of people correct errors in them.

If you pay someone for answers, expect customer service. If you are getting answers for free, seriously, suck it the gently caress up.

The world does not in any sense revolve around you. I ask some questions in this thread, I answer some questions in this thread, but mostly I like hearing smart funny people teach me random poo poo I would never otherwise know about. And sometimes the cleverer answer is just more fun, even if it is obnoxious to some.

And people who are babies about the phrasing of the answers are just self centered twits who forget the world does not exist to service their immediate needs. And they probably drive out some people who would post inn this thread, but can't be assed to deal with crybabies.

Imagine if Fishmech worried about being polite. We'd lose a whole bunch of cool ideas out of our lives.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 30, 2016

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

photomikey posted:

Scallions are a weed. If you buy a bunch of them for a quarter, put them in a potted plant in your windowsill, and water it every few days, you will have scallions for the rest of your life. They will outgrow the pot. I just learned this last year. How I got to 39 and never knew this, I'm not sure. And saving the quarter isn't even the issue, it's having fresh scallions and not limp ones that is the payoff here.

This. This is what Stupid/Small Questions thread exists.

Have you tried anything else, and more importantly, how come everyone does not already know this. (My first blush guess is that scallions can kill cats if the eat them, but)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Enourmo posted:

The quickest way to get an accurate answer on the internet is to post a slightly wrong answer. :v:

Knowledgeable people are usually hesitant to make a complete answer from scratch, because they realize they are not that knowledgeable, but upon seeing a incorrect one are reminded that they actually know a serious amount of stuff.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

tuyop posted:

You should feel as bad about killing an ant as you should about deleting a really complicated computer program or breaking an arduino or something. Even ten million ant deaths don't represent a mournable event because they're pretty much just simple, unthinking configurations of nerves, all nearly exact copies of each other. Like blenders from Walmart but in bug form.

Two ants in a unique environment will just tug on a twig in opposite directions until they starve to death. As a colony they're super cool but individually they're just going through simple motions dictated by pheromones and programming.

Something, something, man versus mankind. Except mankind does a better job of obliterating other species than ants do, so mankind's 'super cool' factor is kind of less 'super cool' and more out of its own control.

Might I recommend Ishmael by Daniel Quinn as interesting reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

What is the proper way to age clothing without significant damaging it?

There's a sweet spot for T-Shirts and Shorts, and I just want my new stuff to start there.

Is there a fabric expert thread?