Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do we still live in an age where the mere act of opening a spam email will infect your PC? Normally I ignore every spam letter I receive, but this one actually has my mom's entire name as the sender but the email address it came from is not hers. I'm pretty positive she got hacked or something, and I wanna check this particular email to see whats what. Also even if it was her legit email, she was on a plane when the email was sent out (which is why I can't call her and ask her about it)

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Outlook could be risky, but if you have a web login, you should be able to safely use that without a problem, provided it doesn't automatically download pictures or run scripts in emails (I know GMail doesn't). If you want to be double-safe, use a browser logged in from a sandbox (like Sandboxie). You could probably even open an email in Outlook running in a sandbox and be fine, but I'm not 100% confident in that.

Thanks, I went through with it. No pictures or anything, apparently my mom visits a drug website (didn't click the link) and owns an iphone. Going to have her scan her laptop and change her email and her facebook passwords, its just weird that the sender used her entire name, even that stupid thing she does with her maiden last and her husband's last name.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a program out there that can let me open and edit .docx files? I need to file an accident form with my job and they sent it as a .docx file, and they're off their loving nut if they think I'm going to throw down 100 bucks for something I'll never use outside of this situation.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Wordpad if you're on Windows, OpenOffice on other platforms.

:psyduck: The gently caress? I swore I tried this and all it did was give me a pad full of a bunch of gibberish.

EDIT: Yeah its all good. So much trouble for pinching my fingers, a simple "No really. I just needed some ice" on the phone wasn't good enough

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 1, 2013

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got my big rear end HD tv back that my family has been "taking care of" for 4 months. Of course they lost the loving power plug to the thing so I can't even USE it. Will it take any old power source or do I need some sort of official LG power plug for it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Was it just a plug and lead or was there a transformer in it?

Plug and lead, the plug that goes into the TV would look something like this:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a free program or website out there that will allow me to punch in a beginning address then additional addresses and it'll list which address is closest to furthest? With my job I get a list of stores to do in a day and currently I'm punching in directions from my place to place A, then place B, till I get all the addresses down then I look at the map and see what blips are closest to furthest out. Surely there is a more streamlined way of doing this?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a way to find out if you got a red light violation online for California residents? I made a really loving stupid decision, deciding gently caress my GPS for telling me to turn right cause it thought I was going the complete opposite direction I was going, then it saying "Oh no go left instead" so I decided gently caress it, I couldn't back up cause at that moment someone pulled up behind me to turn right so I pulled into the intersection and made a left... when the left light was red. And while there was no flash, and t here was no sign posted of PHOTO ENFORCED and there was none of those big box cameras on each corner of the intersection, there was this thing that looked like those security cameras you see at stores that get the full 360 degree view, so I think I was recorded.

I just don't like surprises and I want to know NOW if I got a ticket rather then have it sit in the back of my head.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RaoulDuke12 posted:

So a few things:

1. In California the red light cameras MUST have signs indicating their presence. No sign, no camera, even if there was, it would be unenforceable.

2. The only cameras that can be used for red light violations are the ones with the flash, because they must have a photograph showing you as the driver of the car, your license plate, and evidence that your wheels are across the line after the light has turned red. Those 360 cameras are traffic surveillance cameras and are used for surveillance and traffic management purposes only.

3. In LA city at least, the courts have stopped enforcing even the real red light cameras. The ones around me don't even go off anymore (they still do in Beverly Hills and west Hollywood though).

So I can say with 100% confidence that if you didn't see a sign, a flash, or an actual red light camera, you aren't going to have a ticket.

I hope you're right, the minimum is $430. But for sure there was no box cameras, no sign saying enforced, and no flash. I actually drove back to the intersection and parked nearby to look for all of that stuff (Like I said, I hate surprises) and nothing, just that 360 camera

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When is the earliest one can file their taxes? And roughly how soon would one receive their refund?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm replacing my motherboard, the thread in SH/SC forum suggests this. I currently use one of these. So two questions:

1: I notice one is 1155 socket, the other 1150. Does that mean all the parts I bought for the 1155 wont fit on the motherboard with 1150 socket? Or am I just reading the socket numbers wrong?
2: Would I need to install drivers or do a clean install replacing the motherboard or can I just replace it, turn on the PC and everything will be fine?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FreshFeesh posted:

The socket refers to the CPU itself. You need to make sure your CPU socket matches or is compatible with your motherboard socket or you'll be out of luck. All other connectors (PCI, SATA, et cetera) should be compatible.

Windows really doesn't like you changing up essential components (motherboard, primary HDD, occasionally the processor) and will at best throw a lot of errors. This is due to the different drivers that are needed to make the software talk to the new hardware, versus what was previously installed. I've always backed everything up and gone with a clean install when changing out a motherboard. If you're using Windows 7 or higher the "Easy Transfer Wizard" goes a very long way to making this process as painless as possible.

Is there a way to find out if a CPU is compatible? Seems I'll have to buy a new CPU, I mean I may as well upgrade instead of doing a straight replacement (especially since replacing my current motherboard with the exact same one costs more then buying the newer one)

Another dumb question: What is the best way to store old computer parts? I may as well hold onto these parts and later down the line when I replace everything build a second pc and give it to my little brother for school.

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 3, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is the newest fad in scamming and/or selling stolen poo poo driving up and trying to sell stuff to random people on the street with the story of "I was going to deliver <expensive thing> but <thing> happened and <reason I can't be rid of it> so do you want to buy it?" In the past year I've been annoyed by these people several times.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A while back I asked if I should do a fresh reinstall of my PC if I replaced the mobo + CPU, well in the end I didn't have to cause the GPU was my issue. This time though my motherboard did just die on me (At least, I'm confident that it did...), I'm going to replace it but my question is: Seeing that I can't actually get the PC to boot up to do the reinstall what're my options? Do I just go through and replace the mobo and cpu and then boot it up with the boot disc inside? What would happen if instead of doing the reinstall I just replaced the parts and ran it through to try and grab a few files before I wipe it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Trastion posted:

If your replacing it with the same motherboard then you will probably be fine. Also it depends on what your operating system is. Newer Microsoft stuff like Windows 7 and 8 are better at parts changing and it adapting. Not sure about the different *nix flavors out there.

Either way your best bet is to swap the board out and try to boot into windows. If it wont boot because it doesnt like the board change then you will have to reinstall the OS.

Also if you can get a new hard drive (do yourself a favor and upgrade to a SSD) you can probably get all your files off the old one by putting it in as a 2nd drive. You can also get a very handy adapter like this one on Amazon for about $20 that will allow you to plug it in as a USB drive on any computer. I just grabbed the first link I could so read reveiews. I don't know if that one is any good or not.

So at worst the system just wont boot, I'm not gonna brick the new board by attempting to boot it right?

I'm not to worried about losing really important files (or maybe I just can't recall any and in like a week I'll remember something critically important was on the drive), its more of having to redownload everything again. All those gigs :shepicide:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a way to deny access to a router? Sometimes the extender I use just loses connection to the router, and to fix it requires rebooting the router. However there is sometimes an issue where a roomie is in the room with the router and gets all pissy cause you disconnect them by resetting it. So what I would do is reboot it through the router settings on my PC. But lately its like whenever that problem happens and I try to access the router settings it just never loads up. I can browse the internet just fine, but I just can't access the router. I've tried accessing it on 2 computers now and I can't get to it. I'm suspecting a roommate has figured out the router was being rebooted remotely and has made it so I can no longer access it remotely.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

You might want to sit down and talk to your roommate and work out both your passive-aggressive tendencies.

We are past passive aggressiveness, I'm just doing it remotely so I wont have to go out and deal with them. I have already forewarned people before I reset the router, I have brought up that I also pay my share of the internet, I told them that when this issue comes around everyone upstairs has to connect directly to the router which gives us the 56k experience. They don't care cause it inconveniences them. So instead of having to go out, tell them "Hey I'm having problems, I'm gonna reboot it. Dude, I pay my loving part of the internet bill, let me reboot. Its just going to be a drat minute, let me reboot it. I'm rebooting it, unless you're talking to your dying mother over skype its not that important" I do a remote reboot.

The only solution is to move out, but I'm currently bound by a lease. But till then I need to know if its possible that someone is intentionally stopping connections to the router so I can bring it up to the superintendent. And it seems to be true, I'm gonna go ask the other people upstairs to write down when the net goes out and pin this one person who I think is doing it cause these problems always come up when he comes home from work.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm having some issues properly opening an xml document. I'm trying to read some old chat logs and when I open it up in IE or FF it just mashes every word together in one gigantic block of text. If I use my old laptop that I pulled the logs from it opens just fine showing who is saying what. What am I missing here?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm filing unemployment in california (3 weeks is long enough for my boss to actually update my territory so I can start working) and it wants my gross income from oct 2013 - dec 2013. I don't know why considering they used to go off your past 4 quarters but I don't have that information available to me. My pay register goes to Jan 2014, at best I can have a gross amount from my bank statements. What are my options here? I don't want to put the gross down then suddenly be criminally charged with fraud.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Don't you have payslips? If not, can you ask your employer to provide that information?

I do direct deposit and opted for no paper stub. I wouldn't think this situation would happen.

CzarChasm posted:

You probably won't be charged with fraud if it was an honest mistake. If you under represented (took less than what you were allowed) no one will give a poo poo. If you take more that what you are allowed, then you will have to pay the extra back and may be ineligible for benefits for a year or so. (Speaking from Wisconsin experience) Here's the CA Unemployment FAQ on Overpayment
http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/FAQ_for_Overpayments.htm

As Tiggum pointed out though you can ask for that from your former employer (unless the company dissolved into the ether). And do you not have roughly some idea of what you were paid for that year, even ballpark? I mean it's your gross, that's before taxes so you should be able to do some basic math and figure it out. If you made $40,000 during that year, then you made 10,000 during that quarter. Round it down a bit.

Finally, I seem to recall that there are 800 numbers and such to call for help on these forms. Here, here's the line for California Unemployment Services 1-800-815-9387. They deal with these kind of questions all day. Ironically, people with questions like yours keep them employed.

My hours are inconsistent so dividing my total income last year wont work out. All I got is the gross from my deposits. I'll give that number a call though, thanks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
E: Moving my question elsewhere

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 26, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I washed my car recently and was offered this wash and wax solution from my brother's mother in law, it was something sort of like this. After washing my car I noticed this on all my windows and mirrors

I can't get this crap off. I even washed the car 2 other times just using regular dish soap and again with nothing, just water and scrubbing really hard. We even got a magic eraser but that didn't help at all. What else can I do to get this stuff off?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oddly enough my household has no windex (moved in with my brother recently). I'll go buy some and try it out, thanks!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dzhay posted:

For the past couple of days Firefox hasn't been displaying images properly. They load (I think) and there's an empty space on the page where they should be, but about half the images on a page will be missing. Any idea what this could be? It only seems to happen intermittently.

I think the latest versions of firefox has had display issues. Like if I switch between tabs/close a tab the result will be a screen with the previous tab overlayed onto the current tab and random bits of the current tab will show up. Maybe you're getting something similar to that?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do we have a thread somewhere talking about China and Russia's masterplan to completely destroy the USD overnight that spams my news feed everyday?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

That's a new conspiracy I haven't heard of before.

http://moneymorning.com/ext/articles/rickards/chinese-plan-to-destroy-us-dollar.php?iris=358073&ad=wc-am-cfem

I can't check my email without having some variation of China's big plan to destroy the US Dollar show up on the news feed. Other news articles include the secret plan between China and Russia, Putin's Revenge: Death of the US Dollar, 5 of the wealthiest Americans set us straight for the upcoming death of the USD and one billionaire's trip to China, and why he fears for the economy.

E: The reason I'm looking for a thread is because iirc those countries aren't exactly having the best times right now economically and makes me wonder how they can even destroy a sizable country's currency so easily.

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 26, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Penguissimo posted:

well once you realize that jet fuel can't melt steel beams it all comes together

Well as long as the USD is backed by steel beams everything should be fine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

Before you post another stupid link, answer the following: How would this scenario aid the Chinese?

You do know there is a reason why I asked if there was a thread right? I don't loving know

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm currently dealing with a sore throat, my dumb question is: How come when I tug at the skin at my throat it doesn't hurt as much to swallow as when I don't do that?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DNova posted:

I'm sitting here trying to replicate your experiment and I think that when I pull on my throat skin there seems to be a significantly lower amount of rubbing of whatever surfaces in my throat. Sore throat is caused by your immune system destroying infected epithelial cells in your throat, which is kind of like having your throat scraped raw. When you swallow you're moving all those raw parts against each other which hurts, so if you can prevent some of the rubbing you might feel less pain.

This is mostly speculation.

Seems about right, everything rubbing up against each other. Certainly helps me in being able to eat without feeling like I'm in some jigsaw trap.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
For financial assistant programs am I considered a separate household from my brother if I pay him rent? I pay with a check so I can back up that I do pay him for rent.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

PYROxSYCO posted:

I wanna try and be one of those "let's play" people like i.e. "PewdiePie". How over inflated is this genre of entertainment/show business by other people who are trying this?

What do you think are some prerequisites for doing this type of entertainment?

On top of what everyone else said you really should fork over some cash to buy a proper video editing software, windows movie maker (at least the 7 version) is extremely basic at best (no fancy stuff here outside of putting your commentary over the video and cutting parts out) and buggy at worst (videos over 4 gigs are corrupted, splitting a video may randomly cut out parts of the video requiring you to either undo and try something different or drop in another copy of the video to continue editing)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

baquerd posted:

To cite one recent example, live maggots growing in the gums.

:nms:http://imgur.com/r/WTF/6eEfj6J:nms:

Here's my dumb question: How the gently caress does this happen?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I've heard multiple times that VHS tapes would have "rules" to them about how if you have X amount of people watching the tape you have to buy a presentation copy or w/e to "legally" be allowed to show the tape to that many people. Is this actually true? Googling isn't helping, all I'm getting is "what is a VHS tape" and "how to convert VHS to DVD"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm prepping for Summer, in California that means hot weather and the government forbidding you from watering your lawn. Roaches love that poo poo. I'm gonna do some preventative work, sealing cracks and whatnot but I was wondering about bait stations. Would they actively lure roaches from the outside to inside or would they only attract those who came in anyways?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Lets say I own a general store, its not tied to a corporation or anything, and I do actual work in the building, do I need to follow labor laws? For example, do I need to take my lunch breaks before my 5th hour, do I need to take a 10 minute break every 4 hours, does my lunch have to be 30 minutes minimum..

Basically as a store owner do I have to obey labor laws when it comes to myself working?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

They also poo poo everywhere to feed their young.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

E: from the Peta page: "In an earlier study, researchers used computer simulations to show that, even with their tiny brains, insects have enough neural circuits to possess consciousness, and they may even be able to count"

I know these little fuckers are learning stuff, they seem to know to start hiding the second I spot one and reach for a swatter and if they don't make it in time they know they can simply let go of the wall and drop to avoid me splatting them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Stupid question:

What's the best way to learn to drive properly?

I lived in NYC for too long, and didn't think I needed to drive there. Now I'm 21 and embarrassed to not have a license.

Get a friend who knows how to drive and find an empty parking lot. Learning to drive itself isn't that difficult, the difficult parts are remembering the road laws. Also other drivers, but there isn't much you can do about them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm planning on building a new PC soon and will be selling off my current one to my brother. How many years should power sources and HDDs be replaced? I've had these parts since the end of 2012 on a frequently used PC. For posterity the RAM hasn't been replaced either if thats a concern.

I don't wanna sell him this PC and then have the parts break down cause of age on him :ohdear:

E: I mean, I'm for sure gonna replace the power source with a more powerful one so if he decides to upgrade the PC he wont have to worry about voltage. I'm mainly worried if the HDD will die on him.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If I'm looking into getting a good (Not something that you buy for 150 bucks for college where the mattress becomes a hardened lump of fiber after a year) futon where would I go to look into that?